BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

40 minutes ago, Finlay McKenna said:

Can’t help but feel Harry Pickering is being scapegoated slightly, nowhere near as bad as some people make out.

He's an ok Championship LB.

In this formation though he's being asked to play as a WB - he's just not athletic enough to do it.

Just now, BigBar said:

I'd say below average. Or lower half at best. We should be looking at better, our weakest position imo.

I agree it’s our weakest starting position, but I think he’s more than capable, with time, of being a top half championship LB, certainly not high on recruitment priorities for me 

2 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

He's an ok Championship LB.

In this formation though he's being asked to play as a WB - he's just not athletic enough to do it.

I don’t think the system creates more issues for him than any other really, he’s just generally slow and thus a defensive weakness, personally think he’s better suited to the 343 than the 4231.

1 minute ago, RoverKyle said:

Pickering was good prior to the hamstring injury he suffered (v Huddersfield?). Wasn't as sharp/good when he came back. 

He's had a full pre season under a new manager. Can we give it a couple of months before he's made the new scapegoat? 

I think it’s shown in people criticising his performance against QPR, thought he was solid tbh, but struggled more in the last 10/15 of the game so perhaps it’s a bit of recency bias on show.

4 minutes ago, Finlay McKenna said:

I agree it’s our weakest starting position, but I think he’s more than capable, with time, of being a top half championship LB, certainly not high on recruitment priorities for me 

It's up there for me, I do think a decent one is hard to come by though. Tricky.

30 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

No credibility behind this whatsoever, but it is a transfer thread, so thought I'd share!

Someone on twitter saying they saw Van Hecke and another man heading North up the M6 last night.

I don't believe it, but to his credit, he did say that it was a left hand drive black Audi Q7, which I did see him drive quite a lot last season.

At last! A rumour. Can we stop talking about Buckley now. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

Pickering was good prior to the hamstring injury he suffered (v Huddersfield?). Wasn't as sharp/good when he came back. 

He's had a full pre season under a new manager. Can we give it a couple of months before he's made the new scapegoat? 

What's with the scapegoat craic? If ANYONE is underperforming and the opposition are targeting and getting joy from surely it's cause for concern and comment. It's not personal.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, BigBar said:

What's with the scapegoat craic? If ANYONE is underperforming and the opposition are targeting and getting joy from surely it's cause for concern and comment. It's not personal.

The scapegoat craic is a response to people under exaggerating a players performance levels because of previous performances… I.e. suggesting Pickering was poor against QPR when he was far from it, all because he’s previously performed poorly, creating a subconscious bias, nothing personal.

4 minutes ago, Finlay McKenna said:

I think given that we’ve spent over a million on left backs in the past 18 months we’ll be sticking with Pickering, unless a versatile Hungarian from Bury can play there 

Do we want style(s) or substance is the big question?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Finlay McKenna said:

I don’t think the system creates more issues for him than any other really, he’s just generally slow and thus a defensive weakness, personally think he’s better suited to the 343 than the 4231.

Watch the QPR game back - we're lobsided in attack because Pickering doesn't push on into the acres of space infront of him... because he knows he simply can't get back. 

He's not athletic enough to play on that flank on his own. 

• Like 3

Just now, Exiled_Rover said:

Watch the QPR game back - we're lobsided in attack because Pickering doesn't push on into the acres of space infront of him... because he knows he simply can't get back. 

He's not athletic enough to play on that flank on his own. 

The issue mainly being there weren’t anyone in front of him most of the time, he’d be better in the 343 when he’s got a LWF closer to him and more defensive cover.

1 minute ago, Finlay McKenna said:

The scapegoat craic is a response to people under exaggerating a players performance levels because of previous performances… I.e. suggesting Pickering was poor against QPR when he was far from it, all because he’s previously performed poorly, creating a subconscious bias, nothing personal.

He lost possession 20 times in 90 minutes.

2 minutes ago, Finlay McKenna said:

Been poor awhile, it's not all down to an injury he had. Prior to the injury he looked ok but that can't be an excuse for some very bad performances. Also, if the injury has done him in ala Dack, it's unfortunate but you still have to address it.

Just now, Finlay McKenna said:

The issue mainly being there weren’t anyone in front of him most of the time, he’d be better in the 343 when he’s got a LWF closer to him and more defensive cover.

Not sure being a wing back suits him at all. Steady left back more than a flying wing back.

31 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I remember seeing that sentiment several times from his defenders. Proof once and for all that the 'football professionals always know best' argument is complete and utter bollocks. Even Allardyce played him consistently. 

Don't think he made his debut until Big Sam left and he who shall not be named took over.