BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Poll - Our new manager (assuming/praying Tony Mowbray does actually leave!)

Our next manager (assuming Tony Mowbray does actually leave!)  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you realistically like to see as our next manager? (I'll try and add new candidate names as I hear them or if you request them)

• Daniel Farke
    • Gareth Ainsworth
    • Philip Cocu
    • Chris Hughton
    • Carlos Carvalhal
    • Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
    • Liam Manning
    • Luca Toni
    • Jonathan Woodgate
    • Neil Lennon
    • Damien Johnson
    • Michael Carrick
    • Roy Keane
    • Slaven Bilic
    • Wayne Rooney
    • Mark Venus
    • Mark Hughes
    • Daniel Stendel
    • Tam Courts
    • Rover the Dog
    • Duncan Ferguson
    • Jason Wilcox
    • Karl Robinson
    • Sean Dyche

1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

What makes carrick intriguing and woodgate , coco and Lennon bad choices ?

Track records of failure at this level, whereas Carrick may have the sorts of links with United that Lampard was able to exploit with Chelsea when he took over Derby.

Don't get me wrong, I'd also have plenty in front of him, but I wouldn't place him in the totally unacceptable bracket either. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AJW said:

Carrick was always tactically astute you could tell by the way he played , he would immediately have the respect of our dressing room as you could see the Utd players thought a lot of  him during his time coaching there his appointment would give the whole club a lift  the same way Gerrard did at Rangers and Lampard did at Derby , I agree Lampards managerial career hasn’t continued on an upward spiral but I do think there’s a futures England Manager there . What Carrick has that those 2 didn’t is that previous experience as a no2 to one of the best managers around 

Being tactically astute or demanding respect as a player compared to a manager are 2 totally different things though. I also dont think that Carrick does have a similar prestige and aura as both Lampard and Gerrard do so im not convinced that it would cause a massive lift but even looking at Lampard, he actually I think accumulated 1 or 2 less points there compared to Rowett the season before who could not prop up his squad with Premier League quality loans.

5 hours ago, goozburger said:

11 years out of management tells me Keane is not "desperate to prove himself".

The bloke is a nutter. The dressing room would implode. Because we want the players to get a kick up the fecking arse? Not for me. Avoid at all costs.

If not that, then I don't know what his managerial record (bearing in mind he is 50) warrants him to be in with a shout.

Michael Carrick has never been a manager but makes the list?

I see Keane as having failed in his last gig at Ipswich and since went away as an assistant to develop but also because the opportunities weren't coming at the level he would want to be at. But not many have succeeded at Ipswich for a long time due to their own issues over a period of time, not just down to the Manager.

My point about proving himself was more based on once in a gig, he wouldn't just go through the motions, he's a character that would give it his all to be a success.

He's a nutter because he says it how it is and calls people out?

As I noted, he was 5th on my list and I think worthy of the poll. He talks a lot of sense in his punditry, will still be a pull for the right type of player willing to run through walls because you know what you are getting. Snowflakes need not apply....

45 minutes ago, Southside Rover said:

Michael Carrick has never been a manager but makes the list?

I see Keane as having failed in his last gig at Ipswich and since went away as an assistant to develop but also because the opportunities weren't coming at the level he would want to be at. But not many have succeeded at Ipswich for a long time due to their own issues over a period of time, not just down to the Manager.

My point about proving himself was more based on once in a gig, he wouldn't just go through the motions, he's a character that would give it his all to be a success.

He's a nutter because he says it how it is and calls people out?

As I noted, he was 5th on my list and I think worthy of the poll. He talks a lot of sense in his punditry, will still be a pull for the right type of player willing to run through walls because you know what you are getting. Snowflakes need not apply....

I've now added Roy Keane for you 😄 in place of david Unsworth, seeing as he'd received no votes (the poll only allows 24 options, which is why some names never made the list and those that did make it where mostly just randomly selected from the betting sites)

P.S. Roy Keane would destroy the player Moral at any club he managed or coached, as entertaining as his grouchy ways are as a pundit.... there's just no room for that at professional football clubs anymore sadly, players and staff simply wouldn't tolerate it, that's just the way it is.

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo

Talking sense as a pundit is again not a directly transferable skill. I wouldnt want Gary Neville or Jamie Carragher in charge either, with Valencia able to testify regarding the former. Keane is a very entertaining pundit but I think he seems to crop up as a potential manager so much simply because that people enjoy him ranting every Sunday.

• Like 1

Couldn’t give a monkeys about brand of football all I care about is results, under Mowbray we’ve played dull football which was effective at times with the dack - graham link up but never got us anywhere, also we’ve played more attractive possession football or tried which had us dominating games but like Watford last season we ended up losing anyway, so my perspective from mowbrays tenure is brand of football dosent mstter aslong as it works and moves us forward. 

either way manager appointments all come with risks and doubts and eve therjes of why a manager failed or succeeded previously, like for example farke has a good reputation for his Norwich days but there are theories as to why he succeeded, like he inherited a strong team and resources anyway so so  in d he driest it at a club that’s been outside the premiership for so long that we don’t have such a budget ? So again it’s a risk none the less but you get nowhere in football if you don’t, in football you’ll suffer and succeed from many risks, look no further than the likes of berg amd Appleton.., they came with obvious risks but also potential but it bit us very hard in the end and not just results wise but financially. When I say manager get appointed on last success look no further than lambert, either a miracle at Norwich and Keith villa out the shit for a bit but he didn’t live up to the hype but either way he was a positive appointment cause at the time he was a strong candidate in the eyes of fans and media but never worked out and hasn’t worked out for him At two other clubs since so maybe Norwich was just the right club for him ? I’m a lot of cases managers do well at one club but never the rest so sometimes it’s just a simple case of a manager just being suited to a team and club at the time, Coleman at Stanley, Holloway at blackpool, coyle at Burnley springs to mind. After all hughes never came here with golden experience and he was the best since dagleish even though he couldn’t get us over the line in terms of cups, always nearly men and asking ourselves what if. 

going off managers mentioned taking into account realistic options but also not dead rubbers these are my thoughts, in no particular order these managers I wouldn’t complain about 

ainsworth: remarkable job at Wycombe of course, Young, enthusiastic, full of Chrisms and passion would be in abundance esidciskjy him being a rovers man himself, on paper brand of football may have a few of the Sam allydyce haters complaining but saying that that’s on paper.. with the players he will have here he may step up to a better style but  either way he’s a risk but a risk worth taking especially if he takes Wycombe up against a team managed by a man Mowbray couldn't outwit bar one occasion despite having superior resources 

farke: comes with a lambert feel, great job at Norwich but like I said above about managers like Holloway and coyle is he a one club wonder ? A good appointment goijg off his record none the less 

Houghton: reputation damaged a bit by forest but a strange one cause he did a solid job everywhere else, so despite copper picking up the peices and turning them into a serious team maybe it was the case of manager doesn't fit the team and club example ? Surely he didn’t just come a bad manager overnight after having a good do at Brighton ? Would be a positive appointment anyway based off his record but not one to be really excited about not disheartened 

carrick: an intelligent well respected man and coach in football but no experience, on osier he’s better off taking a lower league job and making his way up, Salford would be a good un for him but wouldn’t be a disaster but if we was to get him in I would prefer it with him as head coach under a DOF to input some experience and deal with the grooling side of the trade while carrick focuses on the football 

Carlos carvalho: great job at Wednesday and braga will bring something we’ve never had would be a great appointment 

Liam manning: like ainsworth comes with risks, a good young manager playing good football but unable to outwit ainsworth despite better players and hasn’t got a l1 promotion on his cv like Gareth either and doesn't remain price. Enough to be at the top of the shortlist he’s one to be monitored over time, a long term forward thinking appointment but like lowe at Preston I wager could come at short term costs 

rooney: great job at derby under terrible circumstances but that’s without pressure how would he cope at a club trying to move forward ? Would come with respect and contacts but could go very sour but a risk maybe worth taking if other desired candidates don’t come off 

Nathan jones: not a great character when your against him but I’ve no doubt you love him if he’s on your team, should he not work a miracle with Luton he would certainly be worth a go but doesn’t meet the clubs criteria of wanting a manager with little or no compensation unless he resigns but even then I doubt he will cost that much. Despite the league being at a crap standard this year especially cause of the failings of the likes of Mowbray and wilder with much superior squads and budget jones has worked a miracle like Barnsley last year.. but yet could be an example of manager suits club but his passion and never say die mentality has ti be admired. A positive risk in my opinion 

I may have forgot a few but I can’t be arsed taking anymore time to think and type 😉

• Like 3

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Talking sense as a pundit is again not a directly transferable skill. I wouldnt want Gary Neville or Jamie Carragher in charge either, with Valencia able to testify regarding the former. Keane is a very entertaining pundit but I think he seems to crop up as a potential manager so much simply because that people enjoy him ranting every Sunday.

For me it's more to do with Keane's mentality than his punditry. He wants to win no matter what and it's a mentality that we desperately need at Rovers, IMO. We've had five years of Mowbray going around in circles, throwing away winning opportunities and then making excuses as to why we can't win. I am utterly sick of that. Keane is the man to rid us of this soft as shite, shoulder shrugging mentality. He doesn't sugarcoat things and we need some honesty around the place after years of twaddle from somebody who ironically always goes on about honesty.

Even now when Mowbray is set to leave, he's trying to tell Waggott what kind of manager would be best to bring in next. He hopes the club doesn't bring a "bully" in.That means don't bring in someone who will demand results from these lads, in my view.

We aren't talking about primary school kids here, are we? Some of the lads might just relish playing for a manager that pushes them and challenges them to kick on. If you read Buckley's latest comments, he can't wait to learn from a new manager. Mowbray babying them and saying "the pressure's got to them" has had a negative impact for me.

Keane has said himself he is determined to make his next job a success. Couple that with his desire to win, which he has had throughout his career, and we are looking at a tasty prospect, in my opinion. There are no half measures with him, we know he's going to do everything he can to win and that's what I want in a Rovers manager. He is the opposite of Mowbray in so many ways.

It's not likely to happen for a number of reasons. Sadly, one of those reasons is that he is perceived to be a "bully" by many. I do not agree with that view. However, it's already being put to the CEO, even if it's indirectly, to be careful not to appoint a bully, meaning Keane's name will be instantly dismissed at Ewood if anybody even dares to suggest him.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

It's not likely to happen for a number of reasons. Sadly, one of those reasons is that he is perceived to be a "bully" by many. 

Another reason for me, and I know this is petty and not something he can control, is that I don't want another Keane managing Rovers, however it is spelt. Just hearing the name makes my fucking blood boil.

9 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

For me it's more to do with Keane's mentality than his punditry. He wants to win no matter what and it's a mentality that we desperately need at Rovers, IMO. We've had five years of Mowbray going around in circles, throwing away winning opportunities and then making excuses as to why we can't win. I am utterly sick of that. Keane is the man to rid us of this soft as shite, shoulder shrugging mentality. He doesn't sugarcoat things and we need some honesty around the place after years of twaddle from somebody who ironically always goes on about honesty.

Even now when Mowbray is set to leave, he's trying to tell Waggott what kind of manager would be best to bring in next. He hopes the club doesn't bring a "bully" in.That means don't bring in someone who will demand results from these lads, in my view.

We aren't talking about primary school kids here, are we? Some of the lads might just relish playing for a manager that pushes them and challenges them to kick on. If you read Buckley's latest comments, he can't wait to learn from a new manager. Mowbray babying them and saying "the pressure's got to them" has had a negative impact for me.

Keane has said himself he is determined to make his next job a success. Couple that with his desire to win, which he has had throughout his career, and we are looking at a tasty prospect, in my opinion. There are no half measures with him, we know he's going to do everything he can to win and that's what I want in a Rovers manager. He is the opposite of Mowbray in so many ways.

It's not likely to happen for a number of reasons. Sadly, one of those reasons is that he is perceived to be a "bully" by many. I do not agree with that view. However, it's already being put to the CEO, even if it's indirectly, to be careful not to appoint a bully, meaning Keane's name will be instantly dismissed at Ewood if anybody even dares to suggest him.

He is a straight talker in regards to being a pundit and talking about other managers and other teams, none of which he has any control over. But say he became manager and results went sour, I suspect that he like any other manager may start to bring excuses in when it is his job on the line rather than other managers.

His mentality as a player and indeed his persona as a pundit do not necessarily directly translate into being a football manager. For me, everything in relation to excitement about him and his attitude and mentality come from how refreshing he has been as a pundit but even then, much of it is soundbites and saying things knowing they will court controversy and discussion.

6 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Another reason for me, and I know this is petty and not something he can control, is that I don't want another Keane managing Rovers, however it is spelt. Just hearing the name makes my fucking blood boil.

Might need to extend some banners by November/December time....

keane.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...