BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Poll - Our new manager (assuming/praying Tony Mowbray does actually leave!)

Our next manager (assuming Tony Mowbray does actually leave!)  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you realistically like to see as our next manager? (I'll try and add new candidate names as I hear them or if you request them)

• Daniel Farke
    • Gareth Ainsworth
    • Philip Cocu
    • Chris Hughton
    • Carlos Carvalhal
    • Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
    • Liam Manning
    • Luca Toni
    • Jonathan Woodgate
    • Neil Lennon
    • Damien Johnson
    • Michael Carrick
    • Roy Keane
    • Slaven Bilic
    • Wayne Rooney
    • Mark Venus
    • Mark Hughes
    • Daniel Stendel
    • Tam Courts
    • Rover the Dog
    • Duncan Ferguson
    • Jason Wilcox
    • Karl Robinson
    • Sean Dyche

I've tried to just keep it simple, the poll only allows 24 names, The names i've added are mostly in no particular order and have just been taken from betting odds sites, but i'll try and remove the dead wood names and replace them with new candidates as they come up and sorry in advance if I've missed any obvious ones. Cheers

p.s. votes are anonymous (even to me!)

Dw9hgP1U0AA7WZD.jpg

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 2

• Armchair supporter supremo changed the title to Poll - Our new manager (assuming/praying Tony Mowbray does actually leave!)

Farke is leading the way but I’ve also voted Michael Carrick , really think he could have an impact at a club the way Lampard and Gerrard did in their first jobs 

25 minutes ago, AJW said:

Farke is leading the way but I’ve also voted Michael Carrick , really think he could have an impact at a club the way Lampard and Gerrard did in their first jobs 

I think it was a given Farke was going to be most peoples first choice, be interesteding to see more peoples alternatives picks too

45 minutes ago, AJW said:

I agree, it could be good to see an up and coming manager with fresh ideas and decent contacts given the job. However in the unlikely event of us appointing somebody to get us all excited I very much doubt they will think outside the box, it will be an old head who's been around the block. 

I went for Farke (voted before the multiple options became available!) but there are lots on there that I'd have as acceptable. Certainly makes for better reading than the early betting markets did, and on the off chance Nixon's list of Farke, Ainsworth, Hughton & Carvahal is right, I'd be pretty happy with any of those (maybe the most reservations about Carvahal).

If Farke wants the job, I really don't see the point of going for a more left field option to be honest, but some (such as Carrick) would be intriguing, albeit a big risk. I think most of the really unacceptable names aren't on that list, but I hope the likes of Woodgate, Lennon and Cocu don't get a look in. 

Edited by Admiral Nelsen
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I went for Farke (voted before the multiple options became available!) but there are lots on there that I'd have as acceptable. Certainly makes for better reading than the early betting markets did, and on the off chance Nixon's list of Farke, Ainsworth, Hughton & Carvahal, I'd be pretty happy with any of those (maybe the most reservations about Carvahal).

If Farke wants the job, I really don't see the point of going for a more left field option to be honest, but some (such as Carrick) would be intriguing, albeit a big risk. I think most of the really unacceptable names aren't on that list, but I hope the likes of Woodgate, Lennon and Cocu don't get a look in. 

You can always change or alter your selections 👍

Yeah, personally I think somebody completely untested and inexperienced would be an unnecessary gamble whilst there is still other good proven options available, then on the other hand I wouldn't want a tired old journey man either! We need someone with a real fire in their belly still 🔥 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AJW said:

Why out of interest, is that because they were all good English midfielders from a similar era?

For what its worth, I am yet to be totally convinced by either Gerrard or Lampard. Gerrard is definitely the better of the 2, did well in Europe and got Rangers a first title in 10 years but that was partially a culmination of resources finally allowing them to compete with an off colour Celtic, plus he only won that one trophy in the whole time and has started poorly at Villa.

Lampard did nothing special at Derby despite having a series of loan players well above the level, before underwhelming at Chelsea and having an average start at Everton.

• Like 2

Not that I'm advocating Gerrard as being a messiah or anything like that, but the job he's done at Villa is actually better than I thought.

Like you @roversfan99, I thought he'd had a poor start, but I've just been reading a few of todays articles on the Sky website and he's taken 33 points from his 23 in charge. Villa have improved massively defensively, but it seems that they either win or lose at the moment (W10 D3 L10).

The link to the article is below, but I found it surprising:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12609564/steven-gerrard-exclusive-interview-aston-villa-boss-striving-to-close-the-gap-to-the-elite-ahead-of-liverpool-showdown

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AJW said:

Good choice, didn't know he was into management.Been in the game for some time, you could be right another Gerrard ore Lampard.

3 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

I read it wrong the first time and selected Woodgate.

Obviously i thought the question was who do you think will be the next manager.

Who i want is obviously Farke.

Same here, i voted Wayne Rooney for the fantastic job he did at Derby with a 21pts deduction.Then i looked further down the list and saw Michael Carrick, he's got loads of premier league experience after playing for Man United.

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Why out of interest, is that because they were all good English midfielders from a similar era?

For what its worth, I am yet to be totally convinced by either Gerrard or Lampard. Gerrard is definitely the better of the 2, did well in Europe and got Rangers a first title in 10 years but that was partially a culmination of resources finally allowing them to compete with an off colour Celtic, plus he only won that one trophy in the whole time and has started poorly at Villa.

Lampard did nothing special at Derby despite having a series of loan players well above the level, before underwhelming at Chelsea and having an average start at Everton.

Think you’re a bit harsh on Gerard at Villa there. His start was very good, but he has tailed off in the last month or so, before winning at weekend.

Well I went for a few:

Ainsworth - Think he's done a remarkable job with Wycombe whether he's a Blackburn lad or not. Deserves a chance at a bigger club.

Farke - Would absolutely be my first (realistic) choice. Proven at this level and a good style of play.

Manning - Got a great win percentage over his career, plays good football and a young, upcoming type of manager. A gamble, but maybe that's what we need. Roll the dice!

Hughes - Purely for the old romantic in me and you'd think he'd be interested. In reality, it's probably not a good idea to go back there.

Dyche - Probably would take him over Farke...but doubt it would happen. Be brilliant to have him taking Rovers up as we watched Burnley slide down.

• Like 3

Missing Keane for me on the list but only because I think he and Duff could work well as a good cop bad cop setup.

I love Keanes brutal honesty and whilst I accept its not always motivational a lot depends on the personalities in the dressing room. TM has tried the other approach with the exception of one or two hung out to dry but the death spirals continued.

Keane also played for two of the best Managers in this countries history as well.so should have picked up a trick or two. His management career is nothing to shout about but he'd be desperate to prove himself based on his own standards and would demand the best from his teams.

1. Farke

2. Rooney

3. Ainsworth

4. Carvalhal

5. Keane

Edited by Southside Rover
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I went for Farke (voted before the multiple options became available!) but there are lots on there that I'd have as acceptable. Certainly makes for better reading than the early betting markets did, and on the off chance Nixon's list of Farke, Ainsworth, Hughton & Carvahal is right, I'd be pretty happy with any of those (maybe the most reservations about Carvahal).

What makes carrick intriguing and woodgate , coco and Lennon bad choices ?

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Carrick was always tactically astute you could tell by the way he played , he would immediately have the respect of our dressing room as you could see the Utd players thought a lot of  him during his time coaching there his appointment would give the whole club a lift  the same way Gerrard did at Rangers and Lampard did at Derby , I agree Lampards managerial career hasn’t continued on an upward spiral but I do think there’s a futures England Manager there . What Carrick has that those 2 didn’t is that previous experience as a no2 to one of the best managers around