BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thanks for the info, I'll look at JD Sports this weekend. I remember using some spray called Scotch Guard on a pair of trainers years ago but there's probably better products now.

Never thought I'd be on a clothes related thread since I still have 30 year old T shirts. 

Edited by Norbert Rassragr

24 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Thanks for the info, I'll look at JD Sports this weekend. I remember using some spray called Scotch Guard on a pair of trainers years ago but there's probably better products now.

Never thought I'd be on a clothes related thread since I still have 30 year old T shirts. 

They'll be back in fashion now Norbert!

My lads been rifling through my old clobber looking for bits and pieces of 'Vintage' items, cheeky sod!

He found an old Rovers shirt and whilst he wouldn't wear it, he tells me its going for hundreds of pounds on ebay, I may take a look!

Rovers shirt.jpg

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

My band used to practice in these old pig sheds over in Accy somewhere. In winter it was absolutely freezing. I got a pair of doc martens soley for going there. They kept my feet nice and warm, even if they did takea year to break in.

On 26/04/2024 at 02:42, Upside Down said:

I think my dad used to get gear from there back in the day.

Also I have very fond memories of the Hake Boat. Best chippy in the world.

Great chippy. No home game was complete without a visit to the Hake Bost. Usually before a game.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I lost my trusty “ Paul And Shark “ baseball cap the other day. I’d had it years, I bought it out in Spain in a special sale at El Cortes Inglises ( a sort of Spanish Kendall Milnes ) for about £30. I was looking on the internet for a replacement and the latest version is £100 ! 
If you think that’s a bit pricey you can have a nice plain one from “ Loro Piana “ ( never heard of them ) for a mere £355 ! If you want the embroidered version - “ That will be £440 sir “.

edit - I’ve just been on their site, it’s a hoot. Nice polo shirt - £800 etc . And I thought “ Paul And Shark “ was expensive.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I lost my trusty “ Paul And Shark “ baseball cap the other day. I’d had it years, I bought it out in Spain in a special sale at El Cortes Inglises ( a sort of Spanish Kendall Milnes ) for about £30. I was looking on the internet for a replacement and the latest version is £100 ! 
If you think that’s a bit pricey you can have a nice plain one from “ Loro Piana “ ( never heard of them ) for a mere £355 ! If you want the embroidered version - “ That will be £440 sir “.

edit - I’ve just been on their site, it’s a hoot. Nice polo shirt - £800 etc . And I thought “ Paul And Shark “ was expensive.

There really are some mugs out there. I applaud companies that can extract money from these fools.

It's not even like it's some proper nice gear either.

I think the next bit of gear I get may need to be a pair of Clarke's desert boots. Although that's a while off since I spunked all my money on that Marshall.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Upside Down said:

There really are some mugs out there. I applaud companies that can extract money from these fools.

It's not even like it's some proper nice gear either.

I think the next bit of gear I get may need to be a pair of Clarke's desert boots. Although that's a while off since I spunked all my money on that Marshall.

There’s a little “  Clark’s Originals “ shop on King Street in Manchester. They sell a big range of the desert boots. I got a pair of “ Clark’s “ Wallabees in there a few weeks ago. Nice shoes but they need a bit of breaking in. The sales assistant was a Blackburn girl funnily enough although she lives in Manchester now. I recognised her accent right away.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There’s a little “  Clark’s Originals “ shop on King Street in Manchester. They sell a big range of the desert boots. I got a pair of “ Clark’s “ Wallabees in there a few weeks ago. Nice shoes but they need a bit of breaking in. The sales assistant was a Blackburn girl funnily enough although she lives in Manchester now. I recognised her accent right away.

Might be a bit far from my place like. It's nearly 19000km.

• Like 1

On 27/04/2024 at 17:43, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I’ve got a black “ Lacoste “ polo shirt ( made in France, not Peru ) that must be 32 years old and it still looks brand new ! And it still fits me.

Ditto I've got 3 Fred Perrys the same, they were made in Macau.

30 years old and almost like new.

46 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I discovered ‘Brooks Brothers’ stuff this year. Very good quality and I particularly like their polo shirts and stripey formal shirts.  

They used to be big time back in the day. I didn’t know they were still in business.

Best polo shirt I ever got was by “ Sand “, they’re Danish. Mrs Shoelaces bought a business suit by them at the same time. The polo was in the sale along with a nice grey one, so I thought. When I got to the counter the sales guy said - “ The black one is in the sale but the grey one isn’t “ .So I put the grey one back and I’ve been kicking myself ever since.

The black one is out in Spain and it still looks great after 25 years.

How is it we always remember the ones that got away ? 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Just an observation - am I the only person in Cornwall who hasn't got an item of clothing that isn't branded The North Face?

Time to join the throng then. I have a couple of rain top style jackets by “ North Face “ . Not bad quality and not bad price, TKMaxx again.

We went down to London for a few days with some friends years ago and as I was transferring my clothes from my suitcase into the wardrobe my mate came in.

He said “ Tyrone, you’ve brought more jackets down to London than I’ve actually got in the world ! “

Mrs Shoelaces has me on a strict diet nowadays  - “ 1 jacket in, 1 jacket out ! “

• Like 2

You can hardly get in my lobby because of "outside coats" got another 5 or 6 in various wardrobes and I live on my own, last count I had 86 ties, only wear them for weddings and funerals nowadays 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

You can hardly get in my lobby because of "outside coats" got another 5 or 6 in various wardrobes and I live on my own, last count I had 86 ties, only wear them for weddings and funerals nowadays 🤦‍♂️

I’ve got quite a few ties, I’d say around 35 or 40. 86 seems a bit excessive if I may say so, The black one is the only one I wear these days unfortunately.

As you can imagine I’ve got more than my share of outdoor coats. 4 raincoats that I hardly ever wear etc. A “ Barbour “ waxed motor bikers jacket I’ve had for years is one of my favourites. It’s been back to “ Barbour “ for repair, they do a really good job incidentally. My favourite bad weather coat is a managers jacket made by “ Canterbury “ for my local rugby league club. The sent only two over as samples and I got one, the coach at the time got the other one. It’s brilliant.

• Like 1

On 22/05/2024 at 15:15, DeeCee said:

Just an observation - am I the only person in Cornwall who hasn't got an item of clothing that isn't branded The North Face?

Join the gang Nothing from them.

I recently took Burberry and Daks "sports" jackets, both about 60 years old, great quality and still in  excellent condition, to the local charity shop.

Looked in the next days and they were marked up at £60 and £40 respectively and sold by the end of the week. I think I missed a trick there. 

Agree on ties: a drawer full of them and only wear one now - the black one for funerals. Sadly I've worn it quite a few times this year

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Join the gang Nothing from them.

I recently took Burberry and Daks "sports" jackets, both about 60 years old, great quality and still in  excellent condition, to the local charity shop.

Looked in the next days and they were marked up at £60 and £40 respectively and sold by the end of the week. I think I missed a trick there. 

Agree on ties: a drawer full of them and only wear one now - the black one for funerals. Sadly I've worn it quite a few times this year

One of my mates was thinning out his wardrobe. His wife put a few things like the ones you named on EBay. They ended up being bought by a film making studio’s costume department ! 

• Like 1

On 10/05/2024 at 09:00, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Norman Taylors on Bank Top and the Army and Navy Stores were the place for your Doc Martens back in the day,all sadly now gone.The smell of real Leather cant be beaten!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Norman Taylors on Bank Top and the Army and Navy Stores were the place for your Doc Martens back in the day,all sadly now gone.The smell of real Leather cant be beaten!

We used to get Doc Martens free at work but they were safety boots with steel toe caps. Two pairs a year. They weren’t very good to be honest, the soles were too soft. We were doing some oxy-acetylene cutting one day and I stepped back and stood on a red hot nut ! What’s that smell of burning ! The swarf used to cut them to ribbons as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Weller’s obviously flavour of the month. There’s a full page spread of him on the front page of today’s “ Observer “ magazine. One for “ Oldjamfan’s bedroom wall no doubt. Nicely turned out as usual. Black “ Brooks Brothers “ polo shirt, black slacks and some nice black leather slip on shoes. He needs a word with his tailor though, the slacks are about 2” too short. The Four Tops circa 1965 style.
He dresses like me only I could give him a stone or two unfortunately ! He’s obviously looked after himself.

Brought this over here Tyrone, I did say these two threads would go hand in glove (the sun shines out of our behinds).

I think the pants look good being that short, the only time I'd want them a bit longer maybe is if you're wearing Chelsea boots.

Pretty easy to look after yourself when you've not slogged your ring piece out all day on the shop floor or on site tbf but he's definitely always kept himself in fine fettle.

I also have a real thing for a nice jacket, they're absolutely essential when you come from up our way. And like they say, you can take the boy out of Blackburn...

North Face has only recently appeared round here but we've got shit loads of outdoor brands. My proper warm weather jacket is a nice Kathmandu number made from down so it's nice and waterproof.  Then I've got my old US army M65 Parka that I got from the surplus shop in Manchester about 16 years ago. I recently got a Napapijri jacket as well. You don't see any of them round here. It's great for those days where there's a shitty easterly wind and it's just too cold for a t-shirt. 

Also I have had a right good laugh at the thought of OJF pinning that Weller picture on his bedroom wall.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I keep forgetting you’re not in the UK. Everybody should have an M-65 jacket. I have a Vietnam style “ Tiger Stripe “ one that I ordered especially from a company in the USA 35 years ago.  It has the removable lining and it’s still going strong. I also had the usual field green one that I wore for working outside, that probably came from the same shop in Manchester that you mentioned.

I also got one of those USAF short green nylon pilots jackets ( Top Gun ? ) at the same time from the same place in California. I don’t know the number, the writing on the label has worn off. They are both genuine and were brand new at the time. I’ve looked high and low on the internet and I can’t see another one like the pilots jacket. There are loads that are similar but none exactly like mine. It must be worth a few quid by now,

Another must to have over here is a duffle coat. I picked up a nice dark blue Italian one years ago in TKMaxx for about £100. Weller would approve, it’s not a “ Gloverall “ but it’s a bit more stylish.

• Like 1