BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Music

American Rover

Nobodies commented on how @#/? Oasis are for a while; so....

Oasis are @#/?.

Just bought the excellent 10th Anniversary 'Definately Maybe' DVD. You can say what you like about any of their other albums, their image, their attitude etc. but their debut is pure class.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that anyone else cares, but I feel like getting it off my chest; I've just found out that one of my favourites guitarists, Gus G, has quit Dream Evil (one of his 4 bands) less than a month before their gig in Glasgow. £15 to see the support band....they'd better be as good without him.

Very true, noone else does care about your no-name band, esp when you cant appreciate great music like linkin park.

1000th post on this topic

Listening to linkin park at the mo btw

Which album, Hybrid Theory, Reanimation or Meteora? I have all of them and think that Linkin Park are excellent and are one of my favourite bands. Just don't get Radaghast going about them. smile.gif

Linkin Park are my fav band and the one of the best bands in the world at the current time. I was listening to the cd 'live in Texas' which is a mix of their best songs from both H.Theroy and Meteora. The best of both worlds!!

best bands? my arse!

MUSE MUSE MUSE laugh.gif

Muse, who are ya, who are ya, who are ya!! lol

No, actually they are very popular now and they have a coupla good songs. However not in the same league as Linkin Park

Linkin Park = Blackburn

Muse = Burnley

pah! your taking the mick

not only have muse been around longer, they are a lot more popular all over the world and more musically talented

Back onto Lionel Hampton.

Now, for you young blokes, this guy is soo sooo good. Plays drums, vibraphones, piano. Some of his music is electric, particularly his "Be Bop" years.

But it's a bit like learning to drink Guinness, an aquired taste.

listen to him though....blisssssssssssss

Not only have muse been around longer, they are a lot more popular all over the world and more musically talented

I'm a big Muse fan and I think that some of their stuff is awesome, but I doubt that they are bigger than Linkin Park. Linkin Park are one of the biggest bands in America, which means you are sorted. The fact that Nu-Metal has swept the world and with Linkin Park being one of the bands at the heart of it, it means that they have benefited from it. However, I wouldn't say Muse are the equivalent to Burnley.

I've been listening to a bit of George Michael, what an absolute legend.

Who cares how popular a band are? What effect does it have on the quality of their music?

(Although Muse are easily the better musicians, of that I have no doubt)

I agree. Just because Brian McFatten gets to number 1 does not mean that it is a good song/album.

An army of young girls all run out and buy a cd because the fancy the lead singer - very very bad. I sometimes wonder what would happen if you never got to see the people singing and just heard the song.

Not only have muse been around longer, they are a lot more popular all over the world and more musically talented

I'm a big Muse fan and I think that some of their stuff is awesome, but I doubt that they are bigger than Linkin Park. Linkin Park are one of the biggest bands in America, which means you are sorted. The fact that Nu-Metal has swept the world and with Linkin Park being one of the bands at the heart of it, it means that they have benefited from it. However, I wouldn't say Muse are the equivalent to Burnley.

I've been listening to a bit of George Michael, what an absolute legend.

MUSE toured America, Japan, Australia, Europe etc etc etc, headlines some big stages too this year.

I dont mind Linkin Park, but in my biased opinion (naturally) there are not many better live bands than Muse around, and I stand by that, and Absolution is a masterclass album.

Matt Bellamy creates more atmosphere on stage than any of LP

All that metal is far too shouty and uncivilised. I grew up in an era of Iron Maiden, Kiss, Metallica and similar proper metal bands. I heard something by somebody called Slipknot the other day, and frankly it sounded like somebody undergoing surgery without the use of any pain killing injections. If that is music, then Gary Glitter is a perfect godfather to all young children.

I have recently acquired the new Gomez album - Split the difference- and I can report it is as good as their other stuff. A real mix of songs and styles. I also purchased the Razorlight Album after seeing them on Parkinson the other week. Not listened to it yet, but the track I heard was very good.

You can all still log on to the BBC website and listen to the last night of the Proms again. That is real music.

Edited by Cheshireblue

Sabbath (without Ozzy) Dio, etc.

Heaven and Hell - what an album. Ronnie James Dio is one of my all-time top singers....what a voice.

Chesh, any metal you see my mentioning on here will be a lot closer to Maiden (my favourite band) than any of that Slipknot/36 Crazyfists/Drowning Pool pseudo-metal trash.

Not that anyone else cares, but I feel like getting it off my chest; I've just found out that one of my favourites guitarists, Gus G, has quit Dream Evil (one of his 4 bands) less than a month before their gig in Glasgow. £15 to see the support band....they'd better be as good without him.

Very true, noone else does care about your no-name band, esp when you cant appreciate great music like linkin park.

huh.gif Linkin Park are hardly exponents of 'great music.' Ok, they're pleasant enough to listen along to and the Reanimation album was superb (and heavily produced) but you really ought to get out more, or listen to some Led Zeppelin. You're bound to have heard of them... unsure.gif

But it's a bit like learning to drink Guinness, an aquired taste.

Especially in Australia, Dave - it's vile (except at an Irish pub in Paddington whose name escapes me)

I was wondering what the big fuss was about that stuff. I thought it was terrible until I had it in the UK. Nice tongue.gif

Tooting, that would be Kitty O'Shea's in Oxford St. Haven't been in there in years.

The Orient does a good one as does the Mercantile down the road.

If you're ever in Victoria, go up to Kate Kellys in the Dandenongs on a Sunday, great music, food to feed an army and a cold well poured Guinness.

huh.gif Linkin Park are hardly exponents of 'great music.' Ok, they're pleasant enough to listen along to and the Reanimation album was superb (and heavily produced) but you really ought to get out more, or listen to some Led Zeppelin. You're bound to have heard of them... unsure.gif

Hey where has RoyRover gone, everyone is ganging up on me about Linkin park tongue.gif lol

In response to you Rovermatt, less of the patronizing bs please. tongue.gif

Of course i know who Led Zepplin are, arent they the lastest boy band from fame academy?

Actually, i like chillie peppers, REM, Nirvana and Queen also, just that i rate Linkin Park superior to any band at the mo.

And lastly, my social life is great thanks, so i do get out enough. biggrin.gif

Edited by BRFC4EVA

I've probably plugged This EtAl before, but as I'm going to see them at The Cockpit tomorrow I may as well do so again. They are an up and coming (unsigned, but won the futuresound competition to get a place at The Leeds festival) guitar driven band from Bradford/Leeds.

They list their main influences as Mogwai, Queens of the stone age and Interpol, but personally I can hear signs bands like The Smiths, Radiohead and Joy Division, (but thats probably because they are more my kind of thing smile.gif ).

Anyway, get yourself along to http://www.thisetal.com/media.asp and download half a dozen free tracks and let me know what you think.

What's more they kick ass live ! I'm convinced these guys are going to be big (and the last band I said that about were CARTER USM after watching them play to about 200 students and The Sugar House in Lancaster).

This sounds really silly after my last post about guitar driven indie rock (but I've got VERY wide range in musical tastes) but I've had that very same CD on in the car recently and it is superb. Just hearing "We have ..... a whole lot of superstars on this stage tonight" still breaks me out in goosebumbps. Although I have to admit that My Adidas seems a little "shallower" now than when it was released smile.gif Have they ever done a "greatest videos" DVD as I'd love to see the Penn & Teller It's Tricky video again.

Being a big metal fan when I was younger, but also getting into the newly emerginging rap and hip stuff of the early to mid 80s anything that blurred the lines (Run DMC, Public Enemy and The Beastie Boys on one side and Anthrax on the other) was fine by me.

Another album I've refound lately (that I imagine never got released in the states) was Derek B's Bullet From A Gun. A fantastic and underated album at the time and well worth another listen nowadays.

Two albums I've recently, er, legally procured, are Sonic Firestorm by DragonForce and Burzum's self titled album - the first being blindingly fast power metal (I can't way to see these guys live) and the latter nasty, ugly Norwegian black metal from old Varg Vikernes himself.

BRFC4EVA, I think Rovermatt wasn't trying to be patronizing so much as saying (with the risk of me sounding horribly pretentious here) that maybe you should try seeking out music that isn't handed to you on a plate before saying who the best bands and artists around are.

(It's no use, I feel really, really full of ###### saying that tongue.gif )