BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Going To Be A Long Cold Season

I apologise in advance for my lack of 'enthusiasm' for the next season, but looking at the contract renewals and the signings im feeling VERY apprehensive.

Seems that whoever is holding the purse strings at rovers has set out a brief that premiership survival whilst spending the minimum amount is the target.

whilst our normal competitors such as Bolton, Fulham, Spurs etc are spending money strengthening there teams in an attempt to guarantee survival, we once again as we did last season, have become the eastbourne of the premier league, blackburn rovers the home for retiring footballers and looking at snapping anyone up who's the wrong side of 30 and in the twilight of there career.

I bet out our rivals are quaking in there boots when we signed dickov, thankfully he was cheap (wonder what the wages are for his final years?) whilst other clubs are trying to take on youngsters on 12 month loans (birmingham) or buying (bolton with bridges) we buy a 31 yr old battler.....

Then to shore up our zimmer framed defence of amo and short were now looking at signing up that excellent spring chicken matteo from leeds, did anyone see the Leeds games last year, the defence was like watching the keystone cops! What are our rivals signing, newcastle are trying to get huth on 12 months loan and were signing yet another player past his best in the twilight of his career.

forgive me for being negative, just that the circles we are currently moving in (backwards ever decreasing ones it seems!) are worrying me, hell im surprised we've not re-signed batty as he's out of contract as well, he fits all the requirements as he's old, slow, not left footed, well past his prime, over 30 and looking for a final pay day, though in his defence at least batty had a prime, dickov on the other hand.........................

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a complete load of rubbish!

Who have Bolton spent money on? Bridges on a free, hasnt scored a goal in 3 years, and spend most of those 3 years injured, oh and Cisse from Birmingham, he oozes quality doesnt he!

Fulham have signed well no one.

Tottenham at the moment have again signed no one.

What do you want Rovers to do? Spend a fortune? What happens if we have a season like the last one (god forbid), we will just be digging ourselves into a right mess. Just look at Leeds!

We are not the big we used to be! Open your eyes!

Edited by damo gally

nicely taken from one extreme to the other, i dont recall saying spend lots. The point i was trying to make is that we seem happy to extend contracts of players well into there 30's and pick up players of that age group.

In case you've forgotten just how well did our central def do against anyone with any pace last year, or did you have your rose tinted glasses on then as well?

I'm beaing realistic and i can't recall that many prem teams doing paticularly well with a lrge portion of players into there 30's.

Have a look at what teams coming up do in an attempt to stay in the prem, they pick up experienced older players, what are we doing????

I'm just voicing my concerns that our current policy is playing with fire. Would be nice to have a signing or two to throw the thoery out of the window, but its all quiet on the western front.

As for tottenham signing no one, i suppose signing an england goal keeper is no one is it and at a million quid he was really expensive wasn't he huh.gif ............................. HELLO??!!

Personally i'd rather have a youngster like bridges, than someone wanting a big payday before retirement and who just can't be bothered.

Edited by ptholt

nicely taken from one extreme to the other, i dont recall saying spend lots. The point i was trying to make is that we seem happy to extend contracts of players well into there 30's and pick up players of that age group.

In case you've forgotten just how well did our central def do against anyone with any pace last year, or did you have your rose tinted glasses on then as well?

I'm beaing realistic and i can't recall that many prem teams doing paticularly well with a lrge portion of players into there 30's.

Have a look at what teams coming up do in an attempt to stay in the prem, they pick up experienced older players, what are we doing????

I'm just voicing my concerns that our current policy is playing with fire. Would be nice to have a signing or two to throw the thoery out of the window, but its all quiet on the western front.

As for tottenham signing no one, i suppose signing an england goal keeper is no one is it and at a million quid he was really expensive wasn't he  huh.gif ............................. HELLO??!!

Personally i'd rather have a youngster like bridges, than someone wanting a big payday before retirement and who just can't be bothered.

We also played virtually a full season without our first choice centre-back and midfield pairing, then again you probably basin your poor judgement on a few selected London games hailing from Sussex rolleyes.gif

Sometimes things are better left unsaid withstupid.gif

Edited by Blue and White Army

I know where you’re coming from but I don’t think we will have a bad next season as we have done last season.

Dickov – For the price that we have paid for him I don’t think it’s that bad a signing. How old is Yorke? Wouldn’t you rather have a player like Dickov in the team who’s the similar age to Yorke and will work his socks off?

Matteo – I’d welcome him to the club. Yes the Leeds defence at time was all over the place. But for the most of the season he was the captain, he lead by example, he gave 100% every game.

Matteo played in the midfield and defence because Leeds were all over the place.

So who do you want to buy? We don’t have the spending power that we used to have, get real.

I honestly despair of some people. 'A youngster like Bridges'. If you would have been happy with the signing of Bridges you must be easily pleased is all I can say. Played 40 games in 5 years. No goals in 3 years. Sign him up sounds like just what we need.

Why can't people at least wait until we see who has come and gone and see how we start next season before writing it off. Jesus wept i've heard of pessimism but this is ridiculous.

Dickov has been signed as an older head while Gallagher and Stead get a bit more experience.

Matteo will do a job for us. He was Leeds Capt last season and according to Leeds fans (unleaded posted a link in the Matteo thread) is one of only a few to emerge with any credit last season. He can also play as a holding midfielder.

That would presumably leave us with just a left winger to find with whatevers left of the budget.

So maybe, just maybe, we don't have any money to spend. ohmy.gif Or what we do have will have to be spent on picking up bargains. Take a look at the AGM thread (which should be stuck at the top of this MB IMO) and you'll recall we have a wage bill in excess of £30 million.

Sure it would be nice to make a big signing, someone to excite the fans and all that. Encourage people to buy season tickets. I doubt it's going to happen. A lot of football clubs are on the verge of financial metdown. Let's not go there.

(Bolton : Free tarnsfers or loans - massive wages I'd imagine. Bridges?!?!

Fulham : ? Have they got their own ground yet?

Spurs : Large share issue. Short term fix?)

Davies was alright for Bolton last year and he hadn't scored for a while and not played much for us or Southampton.

I'm not agree with the man making this topic though, just saying, Bridges might suprise a few people.

FERGUSON AND THOMPSON WILL BE BACK

Also after intensive hypnotherapy and beatings from Tom Pringle, Emerton learns to use the byeline and kicks opposition arse. And one of his back heels will actually come off as well.

Amaruso will be fit as well and all in all Im not all that worried.

Edited by Flopsy

I'm not writing it off, im just questioning the current player policy so far.

I don't recall saying spend a fortune.

what i was questioning and what is worrying me is how we are becoming Blackburn rovers home for retiring footballers, when other teams are signing youngsters for what appears to be quite small money or loaning them in for 12 months (charlton last season, birmingham last and next season, newcastle with huth from what im reading).

Now if this is such a great policy how on earth did leicester go down with all the old and experienced hands on board, i would rather try younger players (like stead, gallagher etc) than rely on older players who don't have the fitness, speed or attitude they once had.

as for a first choice centre back, who on earth is that??? Amo? my god if your first choice cb needs a 200 yard head start just to get near a ball before anyone with pace thats kinda scary.

agree with you about bazza in the midfileld, he was starting to look good and make a big contribution, but hes not 30 odd, and he would have looked better if we had a left sided player alongside him, tho i spose we couldnt find a 35yr old left footer to get in.... maybe we should have wilcox back he's also on a free.

Forgot to add, dickov signed as an older head, ffs how many old heads do we need??? Are cole and yorke not old and experienced enough, can they not help train the younger members? Would you rather stead and cole learned from david speedies surrogate brother or a two players who won lots.....

Edited by ptholt

I apologise in advance for my lack of 'enthusiasm' for the next season, but looking at the contract renewals and the signings im feeling VERY apprehensive.

Seems that whoever is holding the purse strings at rovers has set out a brief that premiership survival whilst spending the minimum amount is the target.

whilst our normal competitors such as Bolton, Fulham, Spurs etc are spending money strengthening there teams in an attempt to guarantee survival, we once again as we did last season, have become the eastbourne of the premier league, blackburn rovers the home for retiring footballers and looking at snapping anyone up who's the wrong side of 30 and in the twilight of there career.

I bet out our rivals are quaking in there boots when we signed dickov, thankfully he was cheap (wonder what the wages are for his final years?) whilst other clubs are trying to take on youngsters on 12 month loans (birmingham) or buying (bolton with bridges) we buy a 31 yr old battler.....

Then to shore up our zimmer framed defence of amo and short were now looking at signing up that excellent spring chicken matteo from leeds, did anyone see the Leeds games last year, the defence was like watching the keystone cops! What are our rivals signing, newcastle are trying to get huth on 12 months loan and were signing yet another player past his best in the twilight of his career.

forgive me for being negative, just that the circles we are currently moving in (backwards ever decreasing ones it seems!) are worrying me, hell im surprised we've not re-signed batty as he's out of contract as well, he fits all the requirements as he's old, slow, not left footed, well past his prime, over 30 and looking for a final pay day, though in his defence at least batty had a prime, dickov on the other hand.........................

Rivals? Newcastle (sorry) & Spurs! Wise up they are clubs with far more resources than us. If you want to study our real rivals you could always get a season ticket at t'Turf or Deepdale. While you are there just ask them which league they would rather be fighting for survival from.

Sure I'd love to return to the JW era when we were in for all the top players but those days are well and truly gone. What I definitely dont want is to return to the 25 years pre JW when we alternated between Divs 2&3. But maybe you are not old enough to remember them.

Edited by thenodrog

Really?

Biting your nails/ getting no sleep/ breaking out in a cold sweat/ drinking heavily anxious?

Get a grip man, it's football, not real life. Save real anxiety for large credit card bills/ getting assaulted/ getting cancer etc.

In any case, we'll be fine next season, no worries. rolleyes.gif

Rivals? Tottenham & Spurs!

When did the club split into two seperate teams blink.gif

And as for signing players on loan that's the worse thing a club could ever do as when the player returns (after no doubt putting in lacklustre performances) the club is still left with the original problem of filling the void they were brought in to fill:huh:

Edited by Blue and White Army

lacklustre loan performances like carlton cole, forsell or babbel?

Probably more depends on the basis they are signed, if they are cover and don't get in the team, or if they are to go in the first team like the above.

if the club hasnt got the money to sign a player, and someone has an excess of players that want to prove themself perhaps in order to move on, it has to be a better option than signing a mid 30's old dog that wont learn new tricks on a 1-2 year contract and basically is just saving before there retirement.....

I'm old enough to remember the div 2 and 3 episodes and i don't want to return to them, hence my anxiety. As for football not being real life, damn am sure ewood park exists and plays football games there hehe tongue.gif

I was actually hoping someone might cheer me up with some news or views that would make me feel better, quite the opposite in fact lol.

i'll just have to console myself with the lovely algarve sunshine and the footie that starts tomorrow at the bottom of my hill smile.gif

Apart from Stead I can't see us doing much better this season than last.

Yes Bazza was coming good but Amo well less said about him the better.

About the only thing that will save Rovers is that the teams coming up will not have much of a squad.

So I also agree that Rovers have decided just to collect a squad of ageing players that will keep them in the division.

Duff was sold for a very good price and then we never bought anyone with a left foot to replace him. Oh well only took one season of people playing out of position to for the club to figure out that left wingers usually use their left foot. dry.gif

Our starting defence must be the oldest by miles and I would be surprised if it was also not the slowest.

As ptholt said I would rather have a young team with potential than a bunch of old coffin dodgers getting left for dead by any Premiership striker for pace.

Understand totally that the board are doing all in there power to stop Rovers turning in to a Leeds. With out Uncle Jack we have to pay our own way. But surely bringing players through and buy young players is the way to go?

Biting your nails/ getting no sleep/ breaking out in a cold sweat/ drinking heavily anxious?

I've been like this since the Moorings closed down!

I have to agree with ptholt to an extent - the lack of enthusiasm part anyway. I'm less concerned about the signings/potential signings.

Isn't that just the close season for you though? Enthusiasm starts returning when the fixtures are released and builds when your season ticket arrives, reaching a peak on August 14th 3pm. It will drop slightly following that first defeat only to be re-kindled in mid-October when the new kits are released and dashed again at the start of November when the sponsor's name starts to crack and peel off in the wash.

That's just the way things are when you support Blackburn Rovers. You get used to it.

My gut feel is that a new reality is settling on the Prem.

The English G14 and G14 wannabes are financially in a league of their own- not just here but internationally. Only Real, Barca, and AC can really live with them. Debt and lack of sugar daddies are catching up with the other Serie A giants.

The same goes for the middle tier Prem clubs of which we are one. English Prem wages are now far ahead of comparable wages paid by middle tier clubs in other leagues.

That means that unless a never-expect-to-see-it-again £100m plus is injected for a club to have a go at competing with Chelsarse Utd, the rest of the Prem clubs are scrapping amongst themselves. It also means they DO not have to compete on wages- there are more than enough Prem quality players coming onto the market so for the first time in a long time, it is a buyers' market for the clubs.

How many £1m+ transfer deals this summer have been struck by clubs which are not Champs League qualifiers?

I now expect a gentle decline in players' wages, particularly as the clubs get the wages to income ratio down and prepare for a probable 30% drop in TV income when the current deal expires (more if the G14/EU negotiate for individual club bargaining rights).

Therefore, the Rovers are probably doing the very best thing financially for long term Prem existence by taking older players on short term contracts.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.