BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Message Board Quality

philipl

Elsewhere, Paul has commented on the decline of the quality of discussion on this board and others he participates in.

It certainly is the case that this board is not is good as it once was- too many petty or ill-informed posts, knee-jerk goose steps and the countervailing arguments which often have precious little to do with the subject in hand. Not forgetting the terminally depressed (and depressing).

Above all, it is frustrating that so few people bother to read what has been written. A few days ago, I posted a deliberately provocative football item and returned to see how the debate followed. In fact there was a string of childish one-liner posts as two members continued a fatuous argument from elsewhere.

Interesting to see that the Lee Grooby official rovers.co.uk site in its nth incarnation seems to be a much better place to read intelligent informed discussion at the moment.

I guess these things go in cycles.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you brought this up Kamy. I've been thinking about the [problem]? for a while and wondered what other members think about the situation.

Is it really declining in standard? What should be done to improve the quality of posts?

The mods are there to monitor posts, but in all honesty, there is only so much they [we] can do about the quality, without acting like the Gestapo.

2 questions:

1 Is the quality of posts on the m/b falling

2 What can be done to improve the situation.

I'm in agreement with you philip. There are a number of things that impact on this:

1. Excessive quoting - anyone who wonders were their quote has gone, it's me deleting them smile.gif Far too often members quote the post above when it's unneccesary, secondly the ever-increasing habit of multi-quoting followed by a fatuous one-liner is having a detrmental effect on the MB

2. Private jokes, one-liners between two or three members, not always the same people, often ruin a thread. Not everyone sees it as funny, personally I find myself skipping large chunks of one line posts that are usually worthless in terms of the discussion

3. Failing to read a thread and re-posting the same information.

We are putting new features in place to try and improve the MB and it's a shame to see other areas declining. For example Media Watch should be of real value to us all but to date there has been little response. We think the Memorabelia Section could create real interest. The Member Map seems to have been well received. There are other new sections on the way, one of which I feel will be seen as possibly the best thing the site has done to date.

As den says it's really up to the members to tell us how the MB should be run. For instance if we begin to delete all irrelevant one-liners will we get a "thought-police" reaction?

First of all, not sure where Kamy comes in Den? Unless Paul deleted his post! smile.gif

First of all, I've turned my images off via Ikonboard settings because it's such a pain in the harris reading posts that are broken up by pointless bleeding images (looking at you, AESF!) I know what Tony Blair/ David Beckham/ David Blunkett look like FFS! I've just given up reading some people's posts because they're so long-winded or because I know what they're going to say. Perhaps other people have too, hence the problem. If there is a limit to the number of characters that can be displayed in one post, I think it could do with lowering!

Another bugbear, as stated above is multi-quoting, quite possibly the laziest sin ever. I can't see the point in it. If your replying to the imeediately previous post, hello!, you don't need to quote it! How thick/ boneidle are some people? Is there no way to parse someone's thread so that if tehy have more than two opening quote tags, they get stripped out (along with accompanying text) to just give one quote within a quote? Also, if someone just has one quote to compare the text contained within to the immediately previous quote and if it's the same/ similar, DELETE it. It's either that or full-frontal labotomies all round. Looking at some multi-quotes is like looking down the Time Tunnel.

As for declining standards, I think people will always look for ways to abuse the board. I don't think standards have gone down, it's just that people have found new ways to be stupid. It's certainly better than the Ranulf Westwood days, although we still have our share of wind-up merchants. Not enough to keep Adopted Scouser happy though, he likes a good barney, just so long as he's a spectator! smile.gif

Sorry really should have included this in my previous post.

I still think that this is the best message board of its type bar none. This is the close season and naturally there is not as much Rovers related stuff to discuss. It happens every season and will naturally improve as the season progresses.

It ain't broke. Please do not take steps to fix it that may be regretted in the future.

One thing I would suggest however is to encourage members to edit the quotes they use to the bits that are relevant to the points they wish to make. (As I did with Paul's message in my previous post.)

In my opinion, the only problem is sometimes people just take this place too seriously. Not every post that every member makes has to be deep and full of meaning. You dont always have to be making a well constructed point. Of course, these things are important and the vast majority of the members can and do. But having a laugh is just as important.

Some of the members seem to view the forum as a public discussion area only, and regard anything not on topic as useless and expendable. Others seem to regard the messageboard as an extension of the pub - sometimes you get into a good debate with your mates and enjoy arguing your points through. And sometimes you just have a laugh. I think that the people who think of the messageboard as such are probably the ones that get the most enjoyment out of it.

But I guess it's all down to personal preference smile.gif

First of all, not sure where Kamy comes in Den? Unless Paul deleted his post! smile.gif

It isn't the first time i've done that Bryan, definately wont be the last. Sorry philipl. biggrin.gif

To me, the quoting facility is simply encouraging arguments. It's too easy to put up a quote and reply with an abusive retort. I suspect the removal of the quoting facility would help to address some of the slanging problems we have. However, as has been pointed out to me before, the complete removal of it would be like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. There doesn't seem to be an easy way round that one.

I see this place as an extension to the pub. Go to the games, meet up with some people, have a laugh with those people and then when i come back i usually continue a few of those in jokes.

I think to make the message board a place where you can only post really meaningful and 'normal' posts would be a bit silly.

Lets have serious discussions at times, but don't take away our in jokes and laughs because some people don't 'get it' and it winds them up.

I don't think that's the point though Tom.

To continue the pub analogy, there's some serious debate, some good laughs, then there are some people either trying to get the rise out of others (spoling for a fight?), or have had too many and are either just talking rubbish or are repeating things that were said 5 minutes before.

Well I can honestly say that I enjoy this board as much if not more than I ever have. THe standards on this board are much higher than many other's and to compare it to the official one, with all respect to Lee, is just silly.

There's always going to be a few problems but it is simply not even a blip on the radar compared to some boards. People really need to lighten up a bit and enjoy it more. I get annoyed with some of the daft stuff but I just skip it if I have to.

I have met tons of people of this board now and I wouldn't have done that if it wasn't for the friendly banter that takes place. Taking away the quote facility is just daft as how could you respond to a post a few pages back for instance. I try and make an effort not to overquote and so should others but to take it away would be pointless. What is the point of a message board without debate.

I really hope any changes are minimal as I really do think the standards have not dropped at all and I for one fear that many decent posters would be scared off by any over the top measures.

The thing is though Bryan, we're all adults (Well, most of us) and if someone is trying to wind you up, ignore them. We all have to deal with annoying people (Mainly management) in life and we all know how to deal with them.

I can't remember the last time I rose to the bait on here Tom!

The point about multi-quoting and inline pictures is valid though as it affects available memory on the server. More pointless photos, more pointless quoting = more memory used = more money to run the site. *

The sheer amount of cobblers talked on here has increased as well. It's a bit of a pain in the ringer to have to scroll through countless posts of dribble (not talking about funny posts here, talking about dribble!) Some will doubtless find it fun, but not me! smile.gif

* Ooops, been ages since I sent any dough ohmy.gif

I have to say, the private jokes are usually done between mods so dont blame that on the rest of us

That surprises me but if it's true we'd have to look at it

*Lets out a loud sigh*

I didn't mean you as in you bryan. rolleyes.gif

I like to discuss football at times, but mainly, i have a damn good laugh at times on here and thats the most important thing to me. If thats a bad thing, then you (As in the message board admin and mod staff rather than you Bryan tongue.gif ) shoudl ban me now!

Huzzah!

Personally I think Al's second post sums up my opinion. Its close season, and theres very little of interest to talk about. We seem to have this discussion every year at about this time.

I also think that quality on this board is related closely to the quality of product that Rovers are giving us.

As for one liners, theres a balance to be struck somewhere, in that 3 pages of 1 liners can take something off topic completely.

Some threads also seem to run their course, but then end up with the same old argument repeated, probably because theres actually been no real developments. Case in points being the Souness must go and the Matteo threads. (Although there are still valid questions to be asked, good posts get lost in the middle of these 30 page megathreads)

I have met tons of people of this board now and I wouldn't have done that if it wasn't for the friendly banter that takes place.

I'd like to second that.

I also agree with Ste that the silly season is upon us and this topic comes around every year or so.

Believe it or not, at the fore front of mind mind when I'm posting something that is somewhat off topic, shall we say, is "is this going too far?". As everyone is no doubt aware my style varies from down right off the wall to the down right sarcastic. Both styles probably grate with many posters. What I don't want to happen is for this "style" to turn people away from the board. How do I know if someone is annoyed at what's I've posted unless they tell me so?

I've looked at other Rovers messageboards, including the official site, and they don't even come close - damn - I'm repeating what someone else has already said and I will do again in a minute.

I too see it as an extension of the pub, just past the snooker room and into the car park. Just like the pub there are people here I often don't agree with, but I put up with them and wouldn't want them barred.

As Al (and now Steb - this is getting out of hand) has pointed out this is the close season after all - the quality of posts will no doubt improve once the new season starts. In the interim the discussions about Matteo and whether he's good enough or not, Souness (should he go), season ticket sales and the new kit are probably as good as it's going to get. That's the problem with a Blackburn Rovers Messageboard - less to talk about when they're not playing.

Whilst there is always room for serious discussion there should always be room for a laugh and a joke IMO. If the mods aren't happy with certain posters why don't they just name names or send a PM?

Ducks, it's gotta be ducks

On a serious note, agree with bob. Lets have a big lynch mob style thread where the mods and admin name and shame the silly ones on the message board.

Boo to them all, burn them etc etc

Personally I think Al's second post sums up my opinion. Its close season, and theres very little of interest to talk about. We seem to have this discussion every year at about this time.

I agree with that. There isn’t much going on now for a couple of weeks because Euro 2004 has finished.

When I’m posting something, I try to look at it as, what am I posting about? Am I giving extra points to the discussion? Am I debating a point, which could lead to further discussion?

I may have my faults on here as well as other people do, however in my opinion if someone’s going to post a message, they should look at it as, is this post going to further the discussion? If it is, make a constructive balanced argument with several points to explain why.

But everyone’s themselves and that’s the way how they post.

What this message board has is true variety!

As much as I enjoy reading intelligent, well informed contributions from the likes of Philip L and Paul etc., I also enjoy the equally intelligent humourous posts from the likes of Bob Fleming and Nuclearsox etc.

In my opinion the mods do a good job in stamping down on text speak, shouting, copyright infringement etc.

It most certainly ain't broke wink.gif

What this message board has is true variety!

As much as I enjoy reading intelligent, well informed contributions from the likes of Philip L and Paul etc., I also enjoy the equally intelligent humourous posts from the likes of Bob Fleming and Nuclearsox etc.

In my opinion the mods do a good job in stamping down on text speak, shouting, copyright infringement etc.

It most certainly ain't broke wink.gif

Absolutely right my friend.

Its come to something when a Grabbi sympathiser is making sense wink.gif

Classic point, a serious discussion on how to make the messageboard better.

Name and shame. first nomination Tom. wink.gif

Yes as previously said it's the close season with nothing to chat about.

Personaly I like to treat the messageboard as others have said, if it were a tap room, full of varied discussions, if the topic isnt of interest to me then just as if I was in the pub I dont join in. In a pub situation an off topic 1 liner doesnt offen go down well and the perpretator if often treated with distain.

My biggest grip is people who cant be bothered to read the message board before posting. They either repeat previous posts or even start new threads.

Classic point, a serious discussion on how to make the messageboard better.

Name and shame. first nomination Tom. wink.gif

laugh.giflaugh.gif

We all know Pringle is a tit, naming him is exactly what the social deviant wants.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.