SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Manager is Mark Hughes

3rdpillar

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know, there's something in giving Hodgson another go, if he's learnt from the mistakes he made last time around.

For most of his tenure, Roy did an awful lot right.

Lee Carsley,

and

3.375 million pounds.

Just a thought ...

With Bryan Kidd as first team coach perhaps ??

Also, on that telegraph article, if Advocaat enquired and then applied, he must have had some encouragement from the board.

He could be the man.

It says he contacted a player. I suspect it to be Barry Ferguson

Yes, it did say that. I suspect he was sounding out the clubs attitude towards him, through the player. i.e. asking the player to find out whether it was worth him applying?

Also, on that telegraph article, if Advocaat enquired and then applied, he must have had some encouragement from the board.

He could be the man.

Yes, it did say that. I suspect he was sounding out the clubs attitude towards him, through the player. i.e. asking the player to find out whether it was worth him applying?

Should imagine so. Hopefully wont be too long till we have a new boss as all those that blackburn are interested in have already applied so we should be able to get whoever the board have their eye on as 1st choice.

Brownie - Is there a way to change the odds on Betfair from decimals to fractions?

T4E

You need to take 1 off every price to work out the odds.

So if it says Strachan 8.4, he is 7.4-1

Hughes is currently 2.8 so 1.8-1, virtually 7-4

reid is getting some support as well

Shearer & Newell could make a good partnership

can't doubt that Hughes was a very intelligent pla\yer and you'd expect him to carry that on into management.

I keep thinking back to Dalglish and Harfords spell as manager

and coach respectively. the way they tunred distinctly ordinary players into very effective ones (read: May, Atkins, Wilcox) would be pretty useful now, as would the ability to take chances the team had then. if you could pair dalglish with a coach of the same calibre as harford it would be very promising.

Brownie - Is there a way to change the odds on Betfair from decimals to fractions?

T4E

You need to take 1 off every price to work out the odds.

So if it says Strachan 8.4, he is 7.4-1

Hughes is currently 2.8 so 1.8-1, virtually 7-4

reid is getting some support as well

That'll do for me, thanks matey thumbs-up.gif

Dowie would have been my first choice. When he was manager of Oldham we often used to see him at Christie Park watching the reserves, no doubt scouting for up-and-coming talent. He allways struck me as having the potential to be a great manager. Unfortunatly the word on the street suggests that Dowie has already been pencilled in for the impending vaccancy in east Manchester.

Hughes now 6-4 on Betfair

Correct me if I'm wrong Brownie but does the graph not show that there's been about 14k lumped on him in the past hour or so.

Youre right, the spike is quite out of the ordinary.

That's a hell of a lot of money to be throwing at such a bet.

It's either someone 'in the know' or someone with more money than sense. I'm going for the former and expect him to be installed before the Portsmouth game.

He is strangely short odds for someone who has all but come out and said he's not in the running. There must be more to it....

technically he's not ruled himself out..he has poured a little water on the rumours but that's all..

and the odds are going to shorten more because of the money being placed on him aren';t they?

A lot of good names being mentioned - Dowie, Hughes, Curbishley - thumbs up from me, although I don't know how realistic their interests are.

I still maintain that we shouldn't be going for a 'big name' for the sake of it. For example, Gordon Strachan and Dick Advocaat have prominent media profiles and would appear to fit the bill.

However, on closer inspection, both have too many foibles. Strachan is detested by most Coventry fans - accusing him of being self-centred, arrogant, tactically naive and having favourites. He may have taken Southampton quite far in his brief spell, but that was on the back of Hoddle's foundations. Remember, Glenn Roeder and Peter Reid managed to take West Ham and Sunderland to 7th in the league - neither are good managers.

Dick Advocaat is a raving egomaniac who'll only cause consternation like Souness. His Euro 2004 tactics for Holland were so rubbish it's untrue. No thanks.

Finally, amongst my choices for next boss, is Jewell and although he failed at Sheffield Wednesday I think the circumstances were difficult with no money and a poor set of players. And remember, Allardyce was sacked by Blackpool - managers can recover for the better after a bad spell in charge.

P.S Alan Shearer would pee off to Newcastle as soon as Souness gets the sack, so no point really appoiting him.

Edited by rover6

I'd be extremely happy if it was Dowie. I said he was the only replacement I would have before Souness even left. I thought he was under a new contract and therefore sort of discounted him. Thanks for the info Mr Palace fan.

Please please please not Mark Hughes.

He could be the man.

Now, see, if he came to Rovers Amo would be first out of the door - and I'd have to take down the rather nice picture of him I've got on the wall.....

It's a definite no for Advocaat from me ohmy.gif

imo Hughes could be disastrous. The biggest criticism of GS was that his tactical nous was poor as was his ability to manage and motivate his players s in dividuals, these qualities are absolutely imperative nowadays.

There is sense in that, thenodrog. Hughes is seen as the dream manager by many, but has he in fact enough experience? I like the idea of him, but I'm not convinced of the reality.

Saunders wanted the managers job.

Dream on, Deano. I've had little faith in you since a couple of years ago when you were supposed to be the Strikers' Coach - need I say more?

You could do worse than Kenny
No, I don't think so. He had his chance huh.gif Don't think he'd be motivated enough.

Coleman and Sturrock added at very short odds...........

Sturrock? Oh well, if you don't ask.etc.......... Coleman - now you're talking!

As someone said earlier, whoever it is will be vilified by some members of BRFCS before he's even set foot in the place.

I'll leave the decision to JW and the Board. I'm sure they have the necessary nous to ask the right questions and get the right answers.

I'm off. Places to go, people to see..... cool.gif See you all later

A bit of reflection indicates what a bloody good job Souness did for Rovers. Winning promotion and a cup competition in his 4 and a bit year tenure can surely only be regarded as success at a club of our stature.

Put it this way, if he achieved the same at newcastle he would be winning them their first trophy in nearly 40 years. And they have the nerve to moan about his appointment.

Anyway, I couldn't give flying fk about newcastle, nor whether their new manager is a success or not. The dilemma now is whom is best suited to move my club forward. Whom is capable of stabilising the good ship Blackburn Rovers and all who sail in her ?

Of the usual suspects, the out of workers I actually hope we do not appoint any:

El Tel - baggage and not as good as he thinks

Houllier - Mr Magoo is not for me and just think if he brought pinocchio with him !

Glenda - pass the sick bucket

Strachan - still not convinced that Coventry isn't the real Strachan and that his relative success at Soton was not just a good goalscoring run by Beats

Sturrock - has apparently applied for both rovers job and the nobber job. If he isn't fussy, I am, so pish off!

Sir Bobby - ?

In work:

Hughes - has been my favourite to take over from GS, but probably two years too early

Dowie - shows promise, but his purchases this summer do not inspire, we know that signing players because they are italian is not always an indicator that they are any good.

Worthington - done a very good job but not for me

Moyes - of all those listed would be my choice, but he will not leave Everton yet!

Reid - NO

Thinking of others, once Advocaat was mentioned it reminded me how much of a poor job he did in the summer, whilst recalling how much a great job Rehhegel had done. What is Reheggels situation? Just thinking outside the box for other possibilities.

I think we should just be thankful that the decision making is in the highly capable hands of John Williams.

Just as an aside, would anybody have any knowledge if the trustfund will have any input in the decision?