• Undecided
    • No
    • Angry.
    • I wanted Grooby

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember also Hughes was one misplaced header (by Pedersen) from taking Rovers to the FA Cup Final.

And one absolutely electrifying save from Cech that no one else would have got near.

No - I'm not mental, just realistic - if we had gone down again it would have been the end of Rovers as a Premiership force. JW spent enough time with the board and Trustees convincing them to keep their squad together for the second season in the first division and they would not have put up with another relegation without selling to an inferior financial operation or pulling the plug. You should realise just how lucky you are - or perhaps you were not there in the dark days of the third division.

Correct. There was only one way the club was moving when Souness left, and that was almost certain relegation. If Freddie Shepherd comes in my local he'll drink for free. :D

Hughes has some problems coming his way cashflow wise.

Frankies wife got a guilty verdict with 3 yrs imprisonment yesterday (SUBJECT TO APPEAL) if she subsequently loses this appeal then Frankie will almost cetainly find himself getting a similar verdict on one of 16 charges laid against him.

Looks like his stash is going to remain frozen like City's dreams :rolleyes:

Guardian interview with Mark Hughes. Although half of it is an interview with Tim Sherwood about Mark Hughes. A lot of it has the feel of Hughes doing through the motions to say the right things.

In the Telegraph, Sparky finds some wonderful euphemisms for saying "I have walked into a disorganised shambles."

I wonder who will be the journalist brave enough to ask him how he is going to spend the rest of the £60m transfer fund? Or for that matter why he decided to seek buyers for Corluka, Ireland and Johnson and who will be the next to get the push?

Edited by philipl

from a man city forum

Let me start by saying that I am neither City or Spurs, but I do know a little about what is happening with Corluka due to a 'business' interest.

When Spurs first made contact, it was Shinawatra's people that agreed a fee with Spurs and told Corluka he was free to leave. They did that without Mark Hughes' knowledge or consent.

Corluka was suprised to say the least. When Hughes took over he told Corluka he was one of the mainstays in his future plan for MCFC. Nevertheless, Corluka travelled to London to meet with Spurs' people.

Hughes then found out about the deal, and basically vetoed it - which was something the Thai's people had agreed he could do with any transfer activity when he took over. That's when Corluka was summoned back to Manchester to go up to Glasgow for the Celtic friendly.

Behind the scenes a real row started between Hughes and certain elements of the board; Hughes furious that they had gone behind his back to sell Corluka to Spurs, and the board enraged that Hughes had effectively recalled him from London for the Celtic game.

Shinawatra's people told Hughes that evening that the deal was 'too good to turn down', largely due to Shinawatra's financial problems. So, immediately after the Celtic game, Corluka flew back to London to resume talks with Spurs.

When Spurs' initial offer was accepted, Corluka had no real desire to leave City. That wasn't anything against Spurs, more the vision for the future of MCFC he had been sold by Hughes and Cook. However, after meeting with Spurs and talking with Modric, Corluka was sold on Tottenham and agreed terms. He went through a two-day medical, which he passed without problem. He's been holed up in a London since early Friday morning - hence why he missed the club photo.

Spurs agreed the final details for the transfer with City yesterday morning, and Corluka put pen to paper on his player registration.

Then City's people accepted the offer from Sunderland for Stephen Ireland, and Hughes went properly mental. Twice in 48 hours he felt he was having players he wanted sold from under him. In a rage, it was Hughes who called Ireland and told him he was expected to report to the CoMS to report for the Milan game. Hughes putting him on for a couple of minutes was a big statement on his part.

Here comes the really interesting part.

Hughes last night told Cook he was through with City and wants out, the sale of Corluka and Ireland being the straw that broke the camel's back. He said if the Corluka deal went through particularly, he would be on his way out of City too.

At that point City have tried to derail the Corluka and Ireland deals.

BUT, Spurs claim to have completed the paper work for the transfer which has already been lodged with the FA and signed by someone from City with authorisation to do so. City say they agreed a sale in principle with Spurs, but that no final transfer documents had been signed.

As such Corluka, who was expecting to be paraded at White Hart Lane this afternoon, is in limbo. However, he has now set his heart on Spurs and linking up with Modric and has told City he will not return to the CoMS under any circumstances. He has been sold on Tottenham, and become frustrated with the background stuff taking place at City.

Spurs and City are maintaining their respective positions, but Spurs have basically told City that they are willing to see the issue go to court. They believe they have signed Corluka, and Corluka wants to play for them.

Edited by EwoodGlory

Remember City have already tested the Premier League and FA's patience once on a transfer over the Benjani farce during the January transfer window in February.

If Corluka doesn't turn up at Spurs, they could get a transfer ban if they are not careful never mind a Court case.

Remember City have already tested the Premier League and FA's patience once on a transfer over the Benjani farce during the January transfer window in February.

If Corluka doesn't turn up at Spurs, they could get a transfer ban if they are not careful never mind a Court case.

im gonna sue city myself from making my stomach hurt this much from laughing!!!!!

from a man city forum

I think I've just had a hernia from laughing so much.

Okay, it may all be bolsheviks, but it's funny all the same.

Think Spurs would clearly win their case if it went to the FA, for no other reason than Lahndhan bias. No doubt Spurs will do like what they did with Arnesen and Taggart tapping up - moan like beggary but then settle for hush money.

Doubt it. But we need to get rid of Ince and grab Big Sam or else City'll surely turn to him when Hughes leaves. :rover:

Hopefully, only grabbing Allardyce in a Malysian death grip, to throttle the blighter. Allardyce absolutely hates us; giving him the Rovers gig would be like a certain 70s Bacofoil-bedecked 'rock star' opening up his own creche, no?

Edited by DingleBaiter

Hughes didnt have his "heart" in the job when he left and probably was going through the motions for at least 6 months...No coming back. He had lost the edge in my eyes and the performances were telling. But I thought we would go for someone a bit more "able" at least to the naked eye...

from a man city forum

If Nicko's stuff tomorrow is better than this I will for the first time in my life be speechless. Going to drink on this now! Have you got the link EG?

He left, he's gone, there is no going back.

BUT is back room staff are welcome :rolleyes:

Good point Splitty! This would be a huge bonus and set Ince up well..

It just gets better and better! :lol:

From reading through the City Forums and speaking to City fans over the past week or two, it staggers me how few of them actually know what is going on within their own club. Ive heard from two separate sources (one being Nicko, the other a friend) these stories with regard to their finances, and I'm hardly "connected".....so why does the average City fan not get to hear what's going on? Are they in denial or just plain thick?

Who are they going to borrow money off to pay the wages now Wardle has left the club? :lol: