• Undecided
    • No
    • Angry.
    • I wanted Grooby

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always stated that when Hughes and his coaching staff were to leave BRFC, we would realise how good they were.

This is not a dig at Ince, but I fear he has a very tough task to continue/replicate the work Hughes did.

Hughes: "My management team is the best in the Premier League. I would back them against anybody.

Have to agree, this is a massive task for anyone, let alone Ince, to fill. That was some back room staff.

Which is why we where perceived, by some to be punching above our weight. IMO.

Who, despite all their qualifications, could not defending of corners or indeed our taking of them...

True. If only we sorted that aspect of our game out last season, we would have finished in the top 4......

• 2 weeks later...
This blog reminded of just what a good manager we have lost.

Sven is a better manager then Hughes, in fact by quite a distance

Whilst I appreciate what Hughes did for us I could have seen City breaking into the top 4 on a regular basis and challenging for major silverware in the next 5 years under Sven, Hughes will definately keep them regular top half finishes with a run at the top 6 on a regular basis

He wasn't just a good manager, he was a fantastic manager, but the ramblings of a city supporter who obviosuly sees the world in pale blue doesn't tug on my heart strings in the least

Was it just me that had become a little bit fed up under Hughes?

I really thought he hit his peak in the Bellamy year. We played some great stuff and even in March had a genuine shout at a top 4 spot. But then we stopped being the fittest team, in fact I don't think we were as such, we just had some very fit players who then moved on. And far too much ref baiting and blaming. Plus tactically very poor. I couldn;t believe how many games, when he has had all week to plot and plan, that the first half would prove embarrassingly inept.

Time was up in my opinion.

I think he was very fired up for last season with Rovers, but after we got the stuffing knocked out of us in November a little unexpectantly it seemed Hughes decided that he had had enough. The vibe appeared to be that Hughes felt we had the best squad we could possibly have under him and it still did not really cut it.

Everybody needs to move on and I guess Sparky looked at it rationally and asked "how can I improve my repuatiation if I stay?". Fact is he would have to either win a trophy or finish in the top four to get more serious Kudos from being Rovers manager, whereas a modicum of success with City - with the advatage of (perhaps only percieved....) transfer funds - could seriously enhance his prospects.

Ince has the desire which is crucial, he has ambition with his signings, and he seems to have an interestng way to make us play. I would like him to be as devoted to preperation as Sparky was, I hope he keeps it up with fitness and pro zone and everything.

I am looking forward to his first season in charge.

I really thought he hit his peak in the Bellamy year. We played some great stuff and even in March had a genuine shout at a top 4 spot. But then we stopped being the fittest team, in fact I don't think we were as such, we just had some very fit players who then moved on. And far too much ref baiting and blaming. Plus tactically very poor. I couldn;t believe how many games, when he has had all week to plot and plan, that the first half would prove embarrassingly inept.

I think it was just as much a case of peoples' expectations being raised too high. And one can just as easily interpret that last bit as Hughes' half time tactics being spot on with the amount of times we managed to claw back from behind. The fact we were a consistently top 10 side on his resources shows how good his achievements were, and many people who were moaning last season ignored the fact we finished with more points and in a better position than the previous season, despite the League arguably getting tougher each season with the teams around us spending big.

If Ince can build his own team and succeed with a new generation then I'll hold him in very high regard too, but we shall see what happens.

I'm with you there EIT, we would've declined quite rapidly in a Souness style had Hughes stayed. As you quite rightly say, the pinnacle was when we had a fit and firing Bellamy, since then it got worse and last season was downright awful to watch.

No exciting football, players who looked like they were believing their own publicity, a pitiful record at attacking and defending set pieces, no pace throughout the team, an emphasis on counter attacking play without the players to carry it out and when given a lifeline in the last game of the season, a bottle job that Jean Van de Velde would have been proud of.

Hughes leaving was the right move at the right time for all parties, of that I have no doubt. Whether the same can be said of Ince's appointment, only time will tell.

I felt it was the right time for Mark Hughes to go - he has done a good job, although he still didnt win any cups or anything, but I felt things were becoming abit stale and his moaning was becoming more and more frequent.

Yes we finished on more points last season, but we were terrible in the cups & Europe as a result of it! 2 of our main problems have been for the past few seasons - Pace & Creativity - On the attack we are so predictable and it gives teams a head start when trying to defend against us. Hopefully Ince will crack that, if he does then we have a great chance of improving further.

I'm with you there EIT, we would've declined quite rapidly in a Souness style had Hughes stayed. As you quite rightly say, the pinnacle was when we had a fit and firing Bellamy, since then it got worse and last season was downright awful to watch.

No exciting football, players who looked like they were believing their own publicity, a pitiful record at attacking and defending set pieces, no pace throughout the team, an emphasis on counter attacking play without the players to carry it out and when given a lifeline in the last game of the season, a bottle job that Jean Van de Velde would have been proud of.

Hughes leaving was the right move at the right time for all parties, of that I have no doubt. Whether the same can be said of Ince's appointment, only time will tell.

I agree with most of your post, our football was turgid and dull with one or two exceptions, these were mostly away from own when our style of play suited the situation. The sort of player that gets you up out of your seat was missing apart really from Bentley, lets hope our new manager can rectify the situation, one of the reasons I didn't go as much last season was the poor entertainment on display.

I felt it was the right time for Mark Hughes to go - he has done a good job, although he still didnt win any cups or anything, but I felt things were becoming abit stale and his moaning was becoming more and more frequent.

Yes we finished on more points last season, but we were terrible in the cups & Europe as a result of it! 2 of our main problems have been for the past few seasons - Pace & Creativity - On the attack we are so predictable and it gives teams a head start when trying to defend against us. Hopefully Ince will crack that, if he does then we have a great chance of improving further.

Pace and creativity need money to buy. Both the players we're buying so far firstly cost more than any player than Hughes bought bar Bellamy (if and when we buy them) and together will have cost more than Hughes ever had to spend in a summer during his time here. Secondly, they're not proven talent, and they've done it in inferior leagues. And lastly, only Villaneuva really has pace and creativity and even Tim Vickery says hes not exactly certain to be a success here.

If you can show me great players with pace and creativity with the money Hughes had to spend every summer then be my guest. There was so many clubs around us - Newcastle being a prime example - who would spunk lots of money on exciting looking players with flair, the sort of players who looked amazing on video. However they flopped when it came to dealing with the Premiership. Hughes went for players who didnt excite as much, didnt have that much pace of flair, but who had excellent technique (RSC, Bentley being prime examples) and that's why we were successful despite not playing brilliant football.

If Ince can produce pretty football and similar results, then he will have done a pretty amazing job.

I wasn't fed up but I'd lost a bit of the excitement of going down to Ewood that Hughes had given us. The Newcastle job coming up and our dip in form showed that Hughes had lost focus and wasn't showing the drive and determination to get our team motivated again. Hughes had begun to look harrassed and seemed to have no real answers. I was gutted when he went but that's just attachment to what you know like abused wives sticking with husbands who beat them - we're all scared that change will be worse, and forget that sometimes it can be better. Mark Hughes was the right man at the time but that time was coming to an end, if not then then by the end of this season. I'm looking froward not back. It might be a bumpy ride but it could just be great.

At the end of the day I want Rovers to win the title (again) Sparky was never going to bring us that, neither will Ince, but keep us finishing top half with a european run every now and again, maybe pick up a minor trophy and hopefully one day we will attract a Manager who can take us to the pinnacle again.

hopefully one day we will attract a Manager who can take us to the pinnacle again.

We don't need a manager for that, we need a Russian oil magnate. Otherwise we'll only ever be as successful as we were in Hughes' time. That's why he made the right decision to go when he did - the only way is down.

Nah, a bit of both would do. Look at how Newcastle and the Spuds ###### money up the wall, but they don't even get close to winning the league. A bit (or a lot these days) of money and quality management together will bring dividends, it worked in 95 , I don't see why it won't work again.

Of course if say, any of the so-called 'big 4' were implode off the pitch, that would be very helpful too :lol:

Sir Alex Ferguson's opinion on Mark Hughes:-

"He has left Blackburn at the right time because all the contracts are up next year. He's done his time there and it was time for him to move on. He's proved himself there".

?????

?????

Taken from an interview in today's Daily Mail.

It's quite obvious why Hughes left: he'd taken us as far as he could and wanted a new challenge. Sir Alex is merely stating that he views Rovers as a stepping stone and so does Hughes. Bit concerned about his comment on contracts though... :unsure: