SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Eternal Optimist said:

Just going to repost this I posted last week after the grief I received from people saying we won't spend a penny

IMG_1957.PNG

You're going to go with smug? Really?

We've nothing to be smug about. We are a League One club thanks to the owners you are basing your optimism on.

£750k last January might well have been the difference between going down and staying in the Championship. Now we are spending that kind of money (on one player) to battle our way through 46 games to get back there. The mind boggles what goes through these numbnuts' heads.

Let's see what shape our squad is in at the end of the transfer window and what the net spend is before we get too carried away. In any case, it'll take a hell of a lot more than an oddball signing having taken our pride away from us before they get any credit.

Still, whatever helps you get your jollies off. Smug indeed!

I suspect it may be that our finances are in much better shape this year than the last few years (at least on a day-to-day operations basis). Haven't had a real go at guessing our wage bill, but after relegation clauses, and Henley, Lowe, etc. off the books (and perhaps they expect Mulgrew to be snapped up), it's maybe dropped from £30m not too long ago to say £11-12m today? Turnover's obviously fallen too, but the absolute value of our losses is probably not a big deal to Venky's. It seems they could barely manage the cashflows involved in keeping up with PL/Championship wage payments, but L1 wages (even high L1 wages) maybe more their... uh, speed. "Sanctioning" losses of £3-5m this year is almost a rounding error compared to their operations as a whole. Much easier to manage compared to losses of £20m, £40m, etc. in the Championship. What happens if we get promoted and need to really start splashing cash again... well, let's not get ahead of ourselves...

So maybe 4 more signings expected? Wonder if Mowbray expects to bring in a couple of cheap loanees to fill out the roster, along with maybe one more transfer and a freebie?

Just now, Stuart said:

We've nothing to be smug about. We are a League One club thanks to the owners you are basing your optimism on.

£750k last January might well have been the difference between going down and staying in the Championship. Now we are spending that kind of money (on one player) to battle our way through 46 games to get back there. The mind boggles what goes through these numbnuts' heads.

Let's see what shape our squad is in at the end of the transfer window and what the net spend is before we get too carried away. In any case, it'll take a hell of a lot more than an oddball signing having taken our pride away from us before they get any credit.

Don't think he's referring to rovers, more to being jumped on for suggesting we'd spend some money.

Just now, Stuart said:

The 'smug face' was quite clearly in relation to spending money this summer when EO was hammered for saying we would. Not sure what you're going on about? 

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

@Speedie DivedThe transfer thread is probably not for you. It may involve people being happy about players we buy. You won't like that:)

Ha ha, I am delighted about Whittingham. The jury is out on the other two.

I just don't understand the joy at spending money. If we had spent £5 million on Leon Best today i wouldn't be happy.

But i am delighted at Whittingham on a free. All about the quality of player.

Just now, Speedie Dived said:

It's not a moan. It's response to some posters mocking the majority who are wary of everything these clowns do.

They have spent £750k and are we supposed to be doing cartwheels?

You are literally celebrating the fact we have spent money and have no idea about the quality of player.

Difference between celebrating and being positive

Ha ha, I am delighted about Whittingham. The jury is out on the other two.

I just don't understand the joy at spending money. If we had spent £5 million on Leon Best today i wouldn't be happy.

But i am delighted ta Whittingham on a free. All about the quality of player.

See you're point but Dack sounds like he could be a good un. I don't know anything about him either but if he helps us back into the Championship then he will be a steal. We're going for the double promotion in any case:)

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

See you're point but Dack sounds like he could be a good un. I don't know anything about him either but if he helps us back into the Championship then he will be a steal. We're going for the double promotion in any case:)

We know or a fact he is a rum un. Fairly safe bet to say he will keep his head down for a year.

Graham, Whittingham and Mulgrew are more than good enough to get us out of this league alone. Would like a decent keeper.

Think people are in for a surprise about this league. There is some right cr@p in it, but there are also some decent teams. Don't expect us to walk it by any means.

One of the saddest things about being a Rovers fan is that we argue amongst ourselves about owners, transfers, whether to attend or not attend. We are constantly point scoring, picking fault with each other and courting failures, just to be right.

It used to be so simple. Every signing was met with a clean slate and optimism and we would only really criticise performances, not trying to predict the future ?

This transfer thread is a really sad read.

In other news from me I'm very happy with the signing of Dack, we haven't had that kind of good goalscoring number 10 who can find that little through ball for years! And at 23 he's a good age, 3 year contract and an option for a 4th great deal! 

I like the way Mowbray seems to be really thinking about this and finding the kind of players we have desperately lacked for years.

next please! 

Never been convinced whenever i have seen him. Struggled under Bowyer big time when it was his big chance.

He was 2 years younger then and was thrown under the bus after he made a couple of mistakes. Was faultless at the back end of last season, he will go very far.

Just now, Eternal Optimist said:

I agree he's look decent! One thing that worries me is when the teams lineup he looks tiny! 

Helps him get down quicker! That Hennessey for Palace is about 6ft6 and goes down like a tree for low shots.

Just now, RV Blue said:

Rovers' twitter replys are interesting, looks like another signing will be announced imminently... guessing it's Gladwin.

Went to Bolton last year with a mate who was scouting him playing for Swindon. Lad played well and scored a decent goal, looked decent on the ball.

Detested at QPR though and his career path is nothing to write home about.

53 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

It's not about that. It's just the constant negativity. Not one person can change the past. Cannot continue to go on about the past. It's like being bitter about an ex. Just move on.

Exactly I've had a bellyfull of all the bitching & backbiting. Good things are happening whether that's shortlived remains to be seen but the only one good thing I'm sure about is that things are improving albeit on a gradual basis let's just enjoy it & get on. It's not too much to ask for is it???

Just now, roverstdt said:

just noticed as I wanted to check out the Dack video signing interview, the season pass is 130 euros! What the hell! Last season was 40 pounds. how does it go from 40 to 100+ in 1 year!

You'll get to watch every game live!

Just now, roverstdt said:

just noticed as I wanted to check out the Dack video signing interview, the season pass is 130 euros! What the hell! Last season was 40 pounds. how does it go from 40 to 100+ in 1 year!

If you live abroad then you can watch all the games live

Archived