BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The number one spot

It sounds like David Raya had a decent game yesterday but we all know one swallow doesn't make a summer so I'm keen to know how he's performed for the youth team this season. I know we have a few members who attend so hows he been throughout the season?

Do you think he's a better option than Steele or do we need to look at bringing in a new number one if we stay up.

Just now, Ricky said:

It sounds like David Raya had a decent game yesterday but we all know one swallow doesn't make a summer so I'm keen to know how he's performed for the youth team this season. I know we have a few members who attend so hows he been throughout the season?

Do you think he's a better option than Steele or do we need to look at bringing in a new number one if we stay up.

Or whether we stay up or not? Assuming we want promotion from Div 3 of course.

I think it is time that Raya was given the time to play and see whether he is good enough to be the long term number 1.

Steele's performances at best have been poor. Yes he does make some good saves but he makes some poor mistakes and his kicking and command of the area is pathetic at best. Time to sell.

I would look at bring in a keeper with experience(30 plus) to challenge Raya for the number 1 slot

I think Raya is better than Steele in every aspect of goalkeeping. He is agile, more commanding of his penalty area, communicates better and his kicking and distribution is way above Steeles.

I just don't understand why our recent managers haven't seen this.

Just now, arbitro said:

I think Raya is better than Steele in every aspect of goalkeeping. He is agile, more commanding of his penalty area, communicates better and his kicking and distribution is way above Steeles.

I just don't understand why our recent managers haven't seen this.

Raya was atrocious at the beginning of last season when Bowyer made him his No.1. He cost us quite a few points. It must have destroyed his confidence.  Steele's form and injury have been the perfect opportunity to throw him back in. He sank last time, hopefully this time he stays afloat and fulfils his obvious potential. 

If he does float this time then he should stay number 1 there's no point in keeping talent on the bench if it proves it can hack it. Steele's been here long enough to show he's hit his glass ceiling and will never be anymore than a bang average prone to regular cock ups lower level keeper.  Then again he was signed cheap to make money on i'd wager so they'll flog him to death Lowe style until someone finally takes the bait probably.

• Backroom

Steele shouldn't play again this season even if fit, he's a liability, problem is Raya seems prone to errors as well. 

Still he deserves a chance; may be the unlikely hero

1 hour ago, onlyonejackwalker said:

Long time since we had a top quality keeper. Worth their weight in gold. About time we sourced a decent number one and let younger players develop and grow behind them.

Another long-standing Rovers tradition broken under Venkys.

Even in the worst situation we always seemed to have a decent keeper to grab us some points.

Keepers and Centre-backs, we have always been strong there and that's the back-bone of any team.

I know there are examples of poor ones, as someone is certain to remind me, but they were the exception and didn't last long.

21 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Everytime I've seen Raya his kicking has been somehow worse than Steeles.

Who is going to sign Steele chaddy?

Suggest you watch yesterday game and you will see Raya kicking. Also Monday night game with 23's highlights. 

Whoever wants to..

56 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Raya was atrocious at the beginning of last season when Bowyer made him his No.1. He cost us quite a few points. It must have destroyed his confidence.  Steele's form and injury have been the perfect opportunity to throw him back in. He sank last time, hopefully this time he stays afloat and fulfils his obvious potential. 

He played five games and conceded four goals keeping two clean sheets. I recall one awful error against Wolves and some nervous moments in other games but has this been worse than anything Steele has done?

Archived