BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rochdale Away

RV Blue

28 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

At half time I was thinking " Where abouts did I leave my boots in the loft, maybe I should get them out and get down to Ewood for a trial " .  Every third pass was a miss pass. We weren't moving the ball from back to front with any cohesion at all. It was hit and hope most of the time, the only time Rochdale looked dangerous was when we gifted them the ball in our half. Smallwood's goal was a shining gem in a sea of dross. A good ball out to Bennett on the right, a good cross in that Smallwood met on  the end of a good run into the box. A crisp left foot volley put us 1-0 up. Easy Peasy when you know how.

Second half was a different story. We started on the front foot and had Rochdale rocking. We started to move the ball around more and crucially got Evans into the game more. Most of the game was spent in their half with Rochdale being reduced to the odd breakaway. Eventually the pressure told and Antonson managed to put away a tap in.  Near the end Graham got on the end of a fumble by the  Dale goalie and slotted away another tap in, game over.

l was more impressed with a second half performance. We started to look like a team and we discovered how to get the ball from A to B with a bit of flair . We're nothing like the finished article in my eyes , we're  quite a long way off to be  honest. That was a very poor Rochdale team we were playing , but you can't argue with 3-0 away from home.

Scores 

Raya 6 - nothing to do really, his kicking was OK.

Caddis 6- didn't do a lot wrong but he looked a very limited player to me, must do better.

Ward 6- again didn't do much wrong .

Downing 6- steady performance, got a head or a foot to most things.

Williams 7 - did his best to provide a threat down his flank, no complaints really.

Bennett 7 - busy out on the wing, good cross for the first goal.

Evans 7 - grew in influence as the game went on.

Smallwood 7 - I like this lad , he can be the heartbeat of the team, great run and volley for the first goal.

Conway 6 - worked hard without actually creating anything.

Antonsson 5 - apart from the goal he achieved the square root of nothing, not quick, not strong. We've dropped a bollock here. Not good enough. Remember who told you first. Tony you need to get another option here quickly.

Samuel 8 - grafted for 70 minutes, worked the Dale back four all the time. He's a good spearhead but he's not a natural finisher. He needs somebody sharper than Antonsson along side him.

Subs

Chapman 6 - looks dangerous, when he learns that there are 10 more players out there on his side he could be more dangerous.

Dack 6 - got the makings of a show pony. Managed to get himself booked within 5 minutes of coming on for no good reason at all. Not really impressed so far.

Graham 6- looked OK when he came on. Got the tap in that wrapped the game up.

Did you mean to give Samuel an 8? 

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Good stuff, I wasn't there I was just responding to a post that described a similar performance to the last match I saw. I look forward to lots more 'positive' huffing and puffing in the future:)

How did Antonsson play?

Apart from the tap in he did nothing you couldn't have done. Much too easily shrugged off the ball. He's a lightweight.

Mowbray subbed him after 65 mins or so. I'd have subbed him at half time. 

Just now, Tormund said:

Did you mean to give Samuel an 8? 

Yeah, he led the line really well, put himself about and gave the Rochdale centre halves problems all the time he was out there. A poor man's Justin Fashanu.  He's not a natural finisher but he'll score a few and make goals for other people. Playing alongside Antonsson must be like playing up there on your own.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Apart from the tap in he did nothing you couldn't have done. Much too easily shrugged off the ball. He's a lightweight.

Mowbray subbed him after 65 mins or so. I'd have subbed him at half time. 

He was poor against MK Dons too. It's hard to describe him as a player, he doesn't seem to have any obvious strengths. He'll probably end up with 30 goals:o

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yeah, he led the line really well, put himself about and gave the Rochdale centre halves problems all the time he was out there. A poor man's Justin Fashanu.  He's not a natural finisher but he'll make goals for other people. Playing alongside Antonsson must be like playing up there on your own.

You can imagine him with a fit Daniel Graham, they would work wonders in this league I would think.

3 hours ago, Tormund said:

Shrewsbury are the team to beat!

I think our main rivals are going to be Charlton Athletic. Now that will bring back many memories of 1957/58 season when we had to win at The Valley on the last day to secure promotion to the top flight at their expense.

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

If I was Mowbray, I would be in Chapman's ear all season if he's oyt of contract next year.

He looks like a player but there wasn't much end product today. Unless you count the run were he knocked the ball too far forward that led to their goalie dropping the ball at Graham's feet for the third goal.

3 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

One of the most pleasing things for me today was that one or two of the players who have looked the worst this season actually looked decent today like Graham and Antonssen.

A bit like last week against MK Dons I didnt think we were brilliant but once again were playing an appallingly poor side and did more than enough despite looking sloppy and complacent in the first half after going ahead.

Whilst id probably be starting them, Dack and Chapman are two hellishly fearsome substitutes to see coming on when you're two down. We're  still somewhat of a work in progress but starting to look promising

Good to spend the afternoon in the Company of 3000 + positive fans only wanting to see the side do well and prepared to judge what went on on its merits rather than the negative "we'll never do anything while Venky's are here' diatribe which pervades this messagebosrd.

Enjoyable day. Cracking pub in the town centre the Baum on Toad Lane which was apparently the site where the Co-op was formed.

Tuesday night a massive game now. Win that and we'll be looking in very decent shape.

" The Baum" is my local. I was in there after the match on the " Krusovice ". Plenty of Rovers fan in as well later on.

4 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

Great three points. I'll take the first stab at ratings.

Raya-8 Didn't have to save anything. Kicking was okay, and good aerial ability shown today. Wont have an easier afternoon.

Caddis-7 Solid enough. Needs to start whipping it in first time when he is in the right area. He is a smart player.

Downing-8 Didn't put a foot wrong. Solid signing on first viewing.

Ward-8 Got to give it to him, I thought he was done, but he has been excellent the last three games.

Williams-7.5 Great game going forward. Should have had a couple of strikes when he has the chance. Not sold defensively.

Bennett-8 great cross for the opener. Had a good game overall. Good cover for Caddis for first 60 mins then switched to the left

Smallwood-8 lovely finish, worked his socks off. Clear fan favourite, fans didn't stop signing his song all game. Love seeing a tough tackling hard man in centre mid for us. First name on the team sheet.

Evans-8 Looked Sharp throughout, great workrate, and was sound positionally, starting to see the real Corey Evans? Works well with Smallwood. 

Conway-8 8's straight across the midfield. Worked his socks off for 65 mins, as usual. Saw him beat a man today as well. 

Samuel-7 Worked hard, quiet first half. Think he set up Antonsson. Didn't get much of a sniff, apart from the one that fizzed across the box that both he and Antonsson missed.

Antonsson-7 Nice finish, should have had a couple again. Encouraging performance today. Looks like an out and out poacher.

Subs
Chapman-7 Looked great again, there was a fabulous turn on the half way line that absolutely binned his marker. He is going to be brilliant for us this season. Surprised not see him start but Bennett and Conway are much more solid defensively.

Dack-6 Pretty quiet when he came on. Don't think we will see him start on tighter pitches as he gets muscled out pretty easily.

Graham-7 Well about bloody time he got fit. You can tell he has been training hard the last two weeks. Looks much more mobile, and did pretty well when he came on. I missed his goal as I turned away when I thought the keeper got it. 

Mowbray- 10. Got a settled formation now, and the squad looks great with plenty depth at most positions. Even with 3 starters out today we had no problems. Great to see a fit Danny Graham come on. New boys starting to shine. Smallwood is looking like the best signing for this club in years.

I agree with you. we have been an Improvement since 1st 2 games but feel we can still improve as a team  and up the gears a couple more still

4 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15525823._We_looked_like_a_team_who_are_acclimatising_to_the_league____Tony_Mowbray_delighted_as_Rovers_record_a_third_straight_league_win/?ref=mac

“I have to talk about the supporters,” Mowbray added. “It was an amazing turnout, I have been here a few times to watch or bring a team and never seen such support from the away side. It was quite amazing.”

fans were amazing

3 hours ago, Tormund said:

It's amazing to see the turn around in support for Smallwood - many fans complained about him signing without seeing him play. I love situations like this.

I did say people should give him a chance and wait and see how he perform here

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Ward and Caddis deserve alot of credit, 3rd solid performance in a row after a shocker and plenty of criticism in the stupid formation v Doncaster.

Good to see Antonsson score but I would have 2 of Samuel, Graham and Dack ahead of him, all offer alot more.

Thought Downing had a better game than Ward but not sure if Ward can play 3 games a week

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I agree with you. we have been an Improvement since 1st 2 games but feel we can still improve as a team  and up the gears a couple more still

fans were amazing

I did say people should give him a chance and wait and see how he perform here

Thought Downing had a better game than Ward but not sure if Ward can play 3 games a week

I thought Downing had a steady game. He didn't do much wrong. It worried me when I read that he liked to play the ball out from the back. I didn't see much sign of that today. If the ball needed shifting he shifted it.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I thought Downing had a steady game. He didn't do much wrong. It worried me when I read that he liked to play the ball out from the back. I didn't see much sign of that today. If the ball needed shifting he shifted it.

I prefer a CB to clear on sight then take unnecessary risks. So more of a relief to me.

The reviews I read was he was a good CB ready to implode and make a horrible mistake at any point. aka Shane Duffy.

Luckily nothing of the sort today.

What I really liked about today was that the players want to fight for it a lot more.  Just like against Bradford, we competed for everything.  

Loved it when Dack lost the ball, won it back, lost it again - then won it back again (ref gave it as a foul which seemed harsh). I was impressed by that.  I like to see a bit of devilment in players.  We've missed that for a few years.

5 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Good to spend the afternoon in the Company of 3000 + positive fans only wanting to see the side do well and prepared to judge what went on on its merits rather than the negative "we'll never do anything while Venky's are here' diatribe which pervades this messagebosrd.

Aye mate, because HOPEFULLY we'll end up in a league just below the one we should be in. 

Some of those fans (like me) will only go to away games and just take in a game of football... People LIKE YOU have the nerve to call supporters like myself devisive and then spout this bullshit. 

Just enjoy the win you souerkraut.

5 minutes ago, JAL said:

Good result which leaves the question could the under 23's have beaten this poor Rochdale side.

Good grief, you really are one big smear of misery. Did you watch the match at all? Or do you genuinely see no positivity in positivity?

A depressing mark on a good day...

1 minute ago, Phil T said:

Good grief, you really are one big smear of misery. Did you watch the match at all? Or do you genuinely see no positivity in positivity?

A depressing mark on a good day...

I don't believe he can post without some type of clever reply. 

Archived