BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

9 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2018/august/mowbrays-delight-at-brereton-deal/

"We had the money to spend and when you've got it, let's spend it....Let's forget about the price now and concentrate on the player"

R Sharpe confirmed it is £7m guaranteed PLUS add-ons...as did the Forest journo.  

Don't make me bring out the Trump GIF....

Least if you’re quoting - don’t forget the very next line;

“Let's forget about the price now and concentrate on the player. He's a 19-year-old boy. We're not going to burden him and expect him to win games on his own.”

7 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

They can only sign what’s available mate. There’s no quick fix.

In relation to Venus - They feel they don’t have the players to play that way. Which is what they’re going to try to change over the next 12 - 18 months

That doesnt explain any of my points though.

It doesnt explain why a 7 million pound striker is not considered even as a back up in a position he played well at Nottingham Forest at this level, even preferring to move midfielders up front. 

You mention not having the players but he has had 3 windows, spent plenty of money, and the likes of Rothwell, Armstrong, Brereton and Palmer have all failed to establish themselves in the team. None of those at the moment can be argued as unqualified successes. Nor does them "being whats available" wash as an excuse.

I also understand a degree of pragmatism and conservatism but it is very much one extreme to another, expecting to change from playing the most long balls  in the league to playing free flowing football.

I'd welcome Sam Gallagher back; thought in the main he was a positive force and had a lot to offer. I could see him & Brereton offering some real good options in the next few years, either in isolation or in the same team.

Add in Chapman on a free, Bauer on the cheap, and a decent bid for Reed & that would do me. There are other positions that need strengthening either as starters (LB) or depth (RB, GK) but I don't see them as priorities this window.

This season is about consolidation with perhaps an outside push for the playoffs. Ultimately if we achieve a top half I'll be happy and it will set us up for a tilt at promotion next season. Yes we'd risk losing Dack, but the money we'd get for him would really help soften the blow & strengthen all over the park. I think that's Mowbray's plan and I think it's sensible in the grand scheme of things. That's not me not wanting us to settle for mid table mediocrity this season, but rather being realistic about our situation approaching the half way point. 

Edited by Atko's Engine
Correcting auto-correct - darn technology!
  • Like 1

Just now, Biz said:

Least if you’re quoting - don’t forget the very next line;

“Let's forget about the price now and concentrate on the player. He's a 19-year-old boy. We're not going to burden him and expect him to win games on his own.”

I quoted the relevant bit, the next line had nothing to do with you fake news-ing the price. 

11 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2018/august/mowbrays-delight-at-brereton-deal/

"We had the money to spend and when you've got it, let's spend it....Let's forget about the price now and concentrate on the player"

R Sharpe confirmed it is £7m guaranteed PLUS add-ons...as did the Forest journo.  

Don't make me bring out the Trump GIF....

That article basically answers all the questions about BB. He’s 19 and has been at the club for 3 months. He’s soooo highly rated but they don’t feel the time is right. So what? 

• Like 1

Just now, Paul Mani said:

That article basically answers all the questions about BB. He’s 19 and has been at the club for 3 months. He’s soooo highly rated but they don’t feel the time is right. So what? 

Who are you 'so what-ing' and why? If you don't understand why the article was quoted scroll up the page and follow the discussion. 

6 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Who are you 'so what-ing' and why? If you don't understand why the article was quoted scroll up the page and follow the discussion. 

He said “forget about the price now and concentrate on the player. He's a 19-year-old boy. We're not going to burden him and expect him to win games on his own” 

So forget about the price, remember he’s 19 and stop expecting this to be a barometer of his success! It’s not difficult Boris.

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

That doesnt explain any of my points though.

It doesnt explain why a 7 million pound striker is not considered even as a back up in a position he played well at Nottingham Forest at this level, even preferring to move midfielders up front. 

You mention not having the players but he has had 3 windows, spent plenty of money, and the likes of Rothwell, Armstrong, Brereton and Palmer have all failed to establish themselves in the team. None of those at the moment can be argued as unqualified successes. Nor does them "being whats available" wash as an excuse.

I also understand a degree of pragmatism and conservatism but it is very much one extreme to another, expecting to change from playing the most long balls  in the league to playing free flowing football.

There’s so much context that can be added to your points though.

The article above completely explains why Brereton (aged 19yrs) has been generally overlooked during the THREE MONTHS he’s been with us.

Two of the three windows you refer to have been in league one with lower budgets and differing expectations. During those three windows he’s got us promoted and now 6 points off the playoffs in our first season back in the Championship. So, whilst the four young, talented players you referred to have ‘failed’ to establish themselves in the last THREE MONTHS they can’t be too shabby hey? ? What’s available is very much a reason. I’m sorry that it doesn’t wash with you, but it’s the way it is.

I don’t get your final point? Do you disagree with me? Do you not believe it to be true? That’s no probs with me mate. But ultimately all Mowbray teams have historically played football. I see no reason why we won’t evolve. 

Just now, Biz said:

He said “forget about the price now and concentrate on the player. He's a 19-year-old boy. We're not going to burden him and expect him to win games on his own” 

So forget about the price, remember he’s 19 and stop expecting this to be a barometer of his success! It’s not difficult Boris.

Are you Mani?

I'll try again. You stated you didn't believe the price was £7m. I provided you with the quotes from Mogga accepting of the price. I even explained that Sharpe has said it will actually be more than £7m, as did the Forest journo. You've now turned into a discussion that I wasn't having. I didn't pass comment on how I expect the price to reflect the performance of the player. Once again, Donald, you have gone all fake news on my hot ass. It's eternally disappointing you have to resort to this. 

15 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

What does "they dont feel the time is right" even mean!

I find it baffling that you think people will respond to the implication that we can sign a big money signing SOLELY for the future, not even considered for a start, and people will just shrug their shoulders and say fair enough. Signing a cherry when we are nowhere near making our cake.

Hes not as raw or as unready as you claim, as he showed at Forest. If people were moaning that he wasnt scoring goal after goal then maybe patience would be a valid buzzword but they arent. They are wondering why he is not even considered to be a striker, even on the occasions when our only alternative is unfit, and we play Dack up there instead. If people were moaning that he hasnt started most or all of our games, again, call for patience all you want. But they arent, just why he hasnt started even one, even when Graham was unable to.

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

What does "they dont feel the time is right" even mean!

I find it baffling that you think people will respond to the implication that we can sign a big money signing SOLELY for the future, not even considered for a start, and people will just shrug their shoulders and say fair enough. Signing a cherry when we are nowhere near making our cake.

Hes not as raw or as unready as you claim, as he showed at Forest. If people were moaning that he wasnt scoring goal after goal then maybe patience would be a valid buzzword but they arent. They are wondering why he is not even considered to be a striker, even on the occasions when our only alternative is unfit, and we play Dack up there instead. If people were moaning that he hasnt started most or all of our games, again, call for patience all you want. But they arent, just why he hasnt started even one, even when Graham was unable to.

Mate, it’s not that difficult. Have you never known a player signed for the future? It means that after spending a lifetime in the game and thousands of hours coaching footballers our manager and his staff have decided that they don’t want to play a 19yr Old during his first 3 months at the club...ok?

I didn’t claim he was raw. Mowbray did. 

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Not to mention a shocking performance at home v Notlob. I've not seen a worse forward/winger performance since...people have short memories and we should aim elsewhere....get Rudy back

Now you're talking, Rudy could head the ball better than most. Unfortunately quite a long career is starting to catch up with him injury wise.

7 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Are you Mani?

I'll try again. You stated you didn't believe the price was £7m. I provided you with the quotes from Mogga accepting of the price. I even explained that Sharpe has said it will actually be more than £7m, as did the Forest journo. You've now turned into a discussion that I wasn't having. I didn't pass comment on how I expect the price to reflect the performance of the player. Once again, Donald, you have gone all fake news on my hot ass. It's eternally disappointing you have to resort to this. 

I still think that we’ve agreed to a staggered deal even if it’s suggested that the ultimate price is expensive. Not sure why you struggle to accept that really!

Secondly - you seek out my opinion all the time hence your reminding us about previous comments - why on earth would you be suprised that I still say what I think, as you’d say it “fake news”...

You do realise that Trump says “fake news” to stories he personally disagrees with? Not necessarily things that are actually “fake”? The irony of that intended insult is almost overbearing, Boris.. (Boris Johnson a well known public troll and moron)..

Just now, Biz said:

I still think that we’ve agreed to a staggered deal even if it’s suggested that the ultimate price is expensive. Not sure why you struggle to accept that really!

Wow! You've more front than Blackpool. You said the price was wrong now you're saying you actually meant the payment plan and that the price is expensive.

And I'm the moron ?

1 minute ago, HowieFive0 said:

Ive no idea but from his position out wide he won lots and lots of headers !

I can only remember one headed  goal in all the games he played.  He was first to the ball in a crowded goalmouth and he headed the ball in from almost a crouching positin. The lad had a good leap but where the ball went after that was anybody's guess.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Wow! You've more front than Blackpool. You said the price was wrong now you're saying you actually meant the payment plan and that the price is expensive.

And I'm the moron ?

I’ve said from the beginning I felt the was staggered and inclusive of add ins, percentage and wages... im not sure what point you are trying to make?

1 minute ago, Paul Mani said:

Mate, it’s not that difficult. Have you never known a player signed for the future? It means that after spending a lifetime in the game and thousands of hours coaching footballers our manager and his staff have decided that they don’t want to play a 19yr Old during his first 3 months at the club...ok?

I didn’t claim he was raw. Mowbray did. 

You dont seem to be able to fathom the points I am making:

- I dont think we are far enough in our development to be able to spend the majority of our budget on a player who isnt even in the thinking in terms of naming a starting 11, half way through the season. 

- I dont think the player from what I have seen of him and what I have read up on him is raw to the extent where he cannot even contribute, not even play when Graham is unavailable, or is not a better bet as a striker compared to Dack. I would have him as our second choice central striker at the moment, whereby a degree of cautiousness can still be used.

- I dont think the player is best suited to a wide role.

The fact that the manager and his staff have more experience of coaching than me doesnt make me any less entitled to an opinion, it doesnt make Mowbrays opinion 100% water tight and to be taken as gospel, and it isnt a valid counter argument on a fans messageboard designed for fans to air their own opinions.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tom said:

The best headed goal I’ve ever seen was scored by me, down at Pleasington when making an appearance for Langho B; sadly it was in the warm up and I don’t think I ever scored a headed goal in my ‘career’

Gally is ok, I had some bitterness to him for his Matt derbyshire moment against Preston but he was quite dynamic in his time here, seems like some of our young lads he’s just had half a season or so wasted but I’d have him back, still rather Joao though (said that in summer as well).

It seems likely that a striker will be a target and you have to wonder if Brereton isn’t the player Mowbray was hoping for when he signed, not denying he has potential but I don’t believe we paid £7m hoping for potential.

I'd prefer Joao also, he scored two more yesterday.

Just now, Biz said:

I’ve said from the beginning I felt the was staggered and inclusive of add ins, percentage and wages... im not sure what point you are trying to make?

Sigh. You said you didn't believe the price. It wasn't that long ago really. 10 minutes? Maybe you've forgot. It must be hard keeping up with your own fakery. 

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

You dont seem to be able to fathom the points I am making:

- I dont think we are far enough in our development to be able to spend the majority of our budget on a player who isnt even in the thinking in terms of naming a starting 11, half way through the season. 

- I dont think the player from what I have seen of him and what I have read up on him is raw to the extent where he cannot even contribute, not even play when Graham is unavailable, or is not a better bet as a striker compared to Dack. I would have him as our second choice central striker at the moment, whereby a degree of cautiousness can still be used.

- I dont think the player is best suited to a wide role.

The fact that the manager and his staff have more experience of coaching than me doesnt make me any less entitled to an opinion, it doesnt make Mowbrays opinion 100% water tight and to be taken as gospel, and it isnt a valid counter argument on a fans messageboard designed for fans to air their own opinions.

I agree, if our coaching staff were that smart they wouldn't have sign Whittingham last season only to have to pay him off this season.

• Like 1