BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

5 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

It does appear so.

Anyway, do you have the genuine inside scoop from Rovers?

No not specifically mate. Used to have direct route but now I just hear things through conversation. Friend of a friend. But obv my mates know I support Rovers so they tell me if they find out. Not much gets out under the current regime in terms of specific names but they do talk about overall plans.

for instance, I found out that Venus is an absolute football purist. He’s the one who drives the “Total football” idea that they are going to try to implement. TM is more pragmatic apparently. 

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'm not a big fan of Gallagher but he would be an improvement on Brereton. He's not Danny Graham Mk 2 any more than Brereton is. He hasn't got the physicality needed for that role and he's another 6 ft 2 in player that jumps about 5ft 10 in.

I don't think that is at all accurate. He 's a big unit who is good in the air from what I remember. This wasn't a bad header for a lad who can't jump:-

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would play Brereton up front if Graham isnt playing. Im a fan of Brereton. 

I wouldnt sign another striker if I was in charge. I would go for left winger. Mowbray says he didnt see Brereton playing up.front all the time. So I can see why he wants another striker. 

Gallagher is the clear one we want. Mowbray knows him. Gallagher been here and will settle in quickly. 

I think Brereton will play up top in time Chaddy. But either way you must be able to see how short of firepower we are? Iv lost count of how many games it’s cost us...Millwall, Rotherham, Villa, Ipswich, Swansea (we were on top and should have finished them before the game swung)...the list is endless.

The more genuine options you have up there the better imo. Look at how many strikers the top 6 have.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Pretty sure Chapman has been fit the last few weeks / months. Sounds like he’s been offered to us for Jan. I think we will take that option on a pragmatic deal to use him off the bench with a view to developing.

Completely agree that we need more firepower.

I think he always have muscle problems until he learns how to use his body more wisely.

I remember him coming on at Oldham as a sub. He'd only just come on when he got the ball out on the wing about 70 yards from goal. The Oldham full back was about 7 or 8 yards away and waiting for him. Chapman just booted the ball up the wing and set off in a foot race with the full back ! Well he isn't Gareth Bale and the full back was no slouch so Chapman got slide tackled into touch.

I just though ,' You've no brains son, take it nearer to the full back, then have a foot race '.

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think he always have muscle problems until he learns how to use his body more wisely.

I remember him coming on at Oldham as a sub. He'd only just come on when he got the ball out on the wing about 70 yards from goal. The Oldham full back was about 7 or 8 yards away and waiting for him. Chapman just booted the ball up the wing and set off in a foot race with the full back ! Well he isn't Gareth Bale and the full back was no slouch so Chapman got slide tackled into touch.

I just though ,' You've no brains son, take it nearer to the full back, then have a foot race '.

Agree 100% and I think that’s the development they think they can bring out of him.

I do know one thing. If I was bringing someone on at 70 minutes to impact a game then I’d choose Chapman over Palmer or Armstrong 

8 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

I don't think that is at all accurate. He 's a big unit who is good in the air from what I remember. This wasn't a bad header for a lad who can't jump:-

Yeah but who was he jumping against ? Nobody.  Anybody can jump for a header unopposed. He's not so good jumping with defenders around him.

Incidentally how did we get a 1-1 out of that game ? Bristol ran us ragged before we scored.

1 minute ago, Paul Mani said:

Agree 100% and I think that’s the development they think they can bring out of him.

I do know one thing. If I was bringing someone on at 70 minutes to impact a game then I’d choose Chapman over Palmer or Armstrong 

A fully fit Chapman is dynamite and I'd sign him tomorrow but I have concerns about the amount of muscle injuries he has.

• Like 2

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yeah but who was he jumping against ? Nobody.  Anybody can jump for a header unopposed. He's not so good jumping with defenders around him.

Incidentally how did we get a 1-1 out of that game ? Bristol ran us ragged before we scored.

You said he couldn't jump, now it's he can't jump with players around him:rolleyes:. See the next video I posted. He's jumping head and shoulders above defenders in that one. Maybe you were thinking of someone else? 

Edited by blueboy3333

1 minute ago, blueboy3333 said:

You said he couldn't jump, now it's he can't jump with players around him:rolleyes:. See the next video I posted. He's jumping head and shoulders above defenders in that one. Maybe you were thinking of someone else? 

That's just my opinion, if he signs we'll see. My memory of him is him being consistently out jumped by centre halves. I don't think I'm the only person who mentioned this last time he was with us.

2 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

From what I've seen Gallagher is a far better bet than Brereton to lead the line.

I think that's pretty obvious seeing Big Ben never gets a chance there. I'm waiting for the headline when he does get a goal -  ' Big Ben Strikes ' or better still ' Big Ben Strikes Three Times ' !

I wouldn't be signing Chapman he's hardly played any football in over a year he's had two serious injuries (which will effect his pace which is his key attribute) along with other little injuries. A few players I'd be looking at in the Chapman mode would be Hunter at Fleetwood, Dembele at Peterborough or Lowe at Portsmouth. 

• Like 3

Surely surely surely, if Mowbray really is after Gally then he’s planning some sort of massive shift in formation to accomodate 2 up top? Brereton would get even less game time, and im all for the ‘you can never have enough good players’ talk but we’ve spent 7 million quid on a lad and giving him 4 and a half minutes a game against championship full backs? Even when DG gets taken off he prefers Dack to lead the line than Brereton? 

Did anyone go to the consultation meeting and can enlighten me if anything was said about this? Seen a few people say it had been addressed but ive struggled to find any quotes.

Just now, Mellor Rover said:

urely surely surely, if Mowbray really is after Gally then he’s planning some sort of massive shift in formation to accomodate 2 up top?

He played Gally out wide when he was here on quite a few occasions. That goal he scored against Bristol City in the video above he was playing left wing. At Brentford he played right wing.  He's a 'wide-forward' but what he does have in his favour is that he'd be perfect for the long diagonal ball we fire at DG 20 times a game. It would mean DG could stay central. 

46 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I think Brereton will play up top in time Chaddy. But either way you must be able to see how short of firepower we are? Iv lost count of how many games it’s cost us...Millwall, Rotherham, Villa, Ipswich, Swansea (we were on top and should have finished them before the game swung)...the list is endless.

The more genuine options you have up there the better imo. Look at how many strikers the top 6 have.

I would like a left winger like Ben Osborn or Oliver Burke to provide the width I think we need. 

You make a good point about firepower tho. 

56 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'm not a big fan of Gallagher but he would be an improvement on Brereton. He's not Danny Graham Mk 2 any more than Brereton is. He hasn't got the physicality needed for that role and he's another 6 ft 2 in player that jumps about 5ft 10 in.

they aren't too many Danny Graham type around in championship football. 

He isn't a Danny Graham but he can hold the ball up and we need play into his feet. Plus he can run in behind aswell

Unless my memory is on the wane I distinctly remember Mowbray playing Gallagher in his 'wide striker' role. His tactic was banging long diagonals from left to right for Gallagher to win headers and knock the ball across invariably against a full back who he dominated aerially. If he were to come I envisage Mowbray using him like he uses Brereton not as a Graham replacement.

• Like 2

Just now, arbitro said:

Unless my memory is on the wane I distinctly remember Mowbray playing Gallagher in his 'wide striker' role. His tactic was banging long diagonals from left to right for Gallagher to win headers and knock the ball across invariably against a full back who he dominated aerially. If he were to come I envisage Mowbray using him like he uses Brereton not as a Graham replacement.

I made the same point further up the thread.

1 hour ago, 47er said:

!8 goals in 107 League appearances, (though plenty would have as a sub I imagine) says he isn't the answer.

Ironically,though, 11 of those came in the one season he had with us.

I’ll be honest as much as he gets a lot of love on here I’d be underwhelmed with him back.

Especially if we do have money - as the Brereton signing suggests we do.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

He played Gally out wide when he was here on quite a few occasions. That goal he scored against Bristol City in the video above he was playing left wing. At Brentford he played right wing.  He's a 'wide-forward' but what he does have in his favour is that he'd be perfect for the long diagonal ball we fire at DG 20 times a game. It would mean DG could stay central. 

Possibly, or we continue to lack any sort of width whatsoever in our team. Got away with it in league one, not been so lucky this year. Lots of games, that have been well documented, where we have lacked width this season and been too easy to defend against.

That being said, higher up the league and closer to the playoff positions than i thought we’d be at this point so that might be why he gets paid to manage the team and i’m on here offering my opinions on what he can do better.

Edited by Guest