Neal

Summer Transfer Window 2019

2 hours ago, JoeHarvey said:

Graham will never get this team past a mid table season. He’s very consistent, but consistently average. It’s time to move on for me and try something new.

Consistently average at putting the ball in the net ten plus times every season which is what strikers are there for and he'll cost a lot to replace the fact we are being linked with strikers shows you big Ben isn't that man.

Just now, JoeHarvey said:

Also, found myself watching this as I couldn't remember many of his goals. Clearly he has talent, but is he much different to Ben Brereton?

I bet his performance against Notlob in the relegation season isn't on there.....

He was part of relegation and fucked off, now he fancies coming back eh?......no ta

I’m taking a more laid back approach to this summer, based on last summer for 3 reasons:

1. The list of arrivals last summer was Armstrong, Palmer, Reed, Brereton, Rothwell, Davenport, Rodwell.

None of those were BAD signings, with an argument that Brereton was not worth the money we paid. All of those players either became good regular first team players, or promising for future imo.

2. Most of them were not speculated on to any great extent for more than a couple of days before signing. Palmer, Rothwell, and Davenport were out of nowhere if I remember rightly.

3. The notable signings we ‘missed’ were McGinn and Celina, and we seemingly turned McGeough away in favour of Davenport. Two to Championship parachute teams, one didn’t pull up many trees in a L1 team. Could’ve been worse.

If we do similar business but with a slightly higher calibre of player, I’ll be happy. Going to hold off on hanging myself just because one legit unbelievable free signing doesn’t look like happening.

Edited by Mike E

Just now, Mike E said:

I’m taking a more laid back approach to this summer, based on last summer for 3 reasons:

1. The list of arrivals last summer was Armstrong, Palmer, Reed, Brereton, Rothwell, Davenport, Rodwell.

None of those were BAD signings, with an argument that Brereton was not worth the money we paid. All of those players either became good regular first team players, or promising for future imo.

2. Most of them were not speculated on to any great extent for more than a couple of days before signing. Palmer, Rothwell, and Davenport were out of nowhere if I remember rightly.

3. The notable signings we ‘missed’ were McGinn, Celina, and we seemingly turned McGeough away in favour of Davenport. Two to Championship parachute teams, one didn’t pull up many trees in a L1 team. Could’ve been worse.

If we do similar business but with a slightly higher calibre of player, I’ll be happy. Going to hold off on hanging myself just because one legit unbelievable free signing doesn’t look like happening.

While you make good points, it feels a bit different to last Summer. Mowbray’s India trip doesn’t seem to have gone particularly well, with some negative sound bites from TM.

However, we DO need to replace Palmer, Reed and Rodwell though (although Mowbray may feel that Chapman has already replaced Palmer).

Just now, Stuart said:

While you make good points, it feels a bit different to last Summer. Mowbray’s India trip doesn’t seem to have gone particularly well, with some negative sound bites from TM.

However, we DO need to replace Palmer, Reed and Rodwell though (although Mowbray may feel that Chapman has already replaced Palmer).

Where are these negative soundbites? He hasn't done an interview since he's been back.....

Sharpe saying we are due to have talks with Downing... Has he gone mad? 

3 hours ago, JoeHarvey said:

Well he doesn't want to score often enough for us to finish above mid-table? We need a 20+ goal striker to even consider a top half push.

Thats factually incorrect. Only Pukki, Abraham, Maupay, Gayle, Sharp, Rodriguez, McBurnie, Adams and Bowen scored over 20. To compare, Dack and Graham our front 2 got 15 goals each. Derby got in the play off final and their top scorers were Wilson on 15 and Waghorn on 9. Leeds top scorers were Roofe with 14 and Pablo with 12.

Dont get me wrong, we need a new striker, but calling Graham consistently average and suggesting that (especially due to Graham not scoring enough for your liking) that Brereton should start is absolute madness.

Just now, Neal said:

Sharpe saying we are due to have talks with Downing... Has he gone mad? 

He was speaking to Gerrard in Feb over Rangers. His wages are 35k and was due another year at Boro with an extra apparence both Gibson and Pulis then made sure they didn’t select him. 

Very early days yet. I don’t believe for one second that we’ve shown our hand and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if none of the linked players were on Rovers actual list. Patience 

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Very early days yet. I don’t believe for one second that we’ve shown our hand and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if none of the linked players were on Rovers actual list. Patience 

downing is due in for talks.. ive lost patience

Can Downing play in goal or at centre half. If the rumour mill is accurate sounds like a panic buy to me.  

35 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Thats factually incorrect. Only Pukki, Abraham, Maupay, Gayle, Sharp, Rodriguez, McBurnie, Adams and Bowen scored over 20. To compare, Dack and Graham our front 2 got 15 goals each. Derby got in the play off final and their top scorers were Wilson on 15 and Waghorn on 9. Leeds top scorers were Roofe with 14 and Pablo with 12.

Then there's that time we didn't even make the play offs with TWO strikers who passed the 20-goal mark.

25 minutes ago, AdamRochina said:

downing is due in for talks.. ive lost patience

Didn't you post something the other day about how you would be patient for at least X amount of time?

Instead a day or so later you've given up because of one rumour. Come on Adam, you seem a good lad but you do jump from one extreme to the other like this a lot. Be patient mate, let's see how it all actually pans out.

Just now, bluebruce said:

Didn't you post something the other day about how you would be patient for at least X amount of time?

Instead a day or so later you've given up because of one rumour. Come on Adam, you seem a good lad but you do jump from one extreme to the other like this a lot. Be patient mate, let's see how it all actually pans out.

i was being sarcastic 😂  i dont mind downing, aslong as hes a bit part player on very low wages    i wouldent waste 7k plus on him at all

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Didn't last year's India trip actually get cancelled or something? Maybe I'm misremembering. There was also lots of excessive pessimism about what we were going to spend, very early into the window. I don't remember anything from TM last year implying we were going for it. Sounds very like last summer so far (maybe better if I'm right about the India trip).

Just now, bluebruce said:

Didn't last year's India trip actually get cancelled or something? Maybe I'm misremembering. There was also lots of excessive pessimism about what we were going to spend, very early into the window. I don't remember anything from TM last year implying we were going for it. Sounds very like last summer so far (maybe better if I'm right about the India trip).

Let’s see.

I don’t remember Mowbray openly talking about selling players, and specifically Dack. More about him having money to spend but also having to convince Desai not to throw the family silver at it and instead build more slowly. It was certainly more encouraging.

Can Downing play left back?

Just now, J*B said:

Can Downing play left back?

Lets hope not, we already have an abundance of makeshift, shite defenders.

26 minutes ago, AdamRochina said:

i was being sarcastic 😂  i dont mind downing, aslong as hes a bit part player on very low wages    i wouldent waste 7k plus on him at all

That’s a happy coincidence, as he wouldn’t come here for 7k a week!

IF we do get Downing, that’s not going to be the sum total of our transfer business. We definitely need a winger in my opinion, and while I might have preferred someone likely to start more games, surely he isn’t as bad a signing as some or making out.

Same age as Conway but...

35 England caps V 7 Scotland Caps 

38 Champ appearances last year V 21

Former clubs Liverpool, Villa, West Ham  V Ayr, Dundee and Cardiff

And lets not forget, Conway was offered a deal he didn’t fancy, so to say we shouldn’t have ‘got rid of him’ is a bit wide of the mark.

Yes, Downing will likely be offered a better deal than Conway... and rightly so.

11 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Former clubs Liverpool, Villa, West Ham  V Ayr, Dundee and Cardiff

Close (about 100 metres) but no cigar.........................Dundee United.

All depends what context a signing likes this would be delivered under...

Gallacher in, Downing in, rest as you were but with Dack out = Meh !

As above but with a quality defender and maybe another quality player somewhere - Fair enough.

Keep everyone, Gally in on loan, good defender signed and Downing - Yep that's building, maybe not everyones cup of tea but it's still strengthening.

Dack sold and only Downing, Fielding, and another couple similar in =  Alarm bells !   F'ck right off  Venkys, Waggot, Mowbray and the rest !