Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SIMON GARNERS 194

Old Rovers Footage

Recommended Posts

Yeah I love the old stuff. “On a pitch barely fit for play rovers take one hell of a beating”. Also like not one of 55,000 home fans thought they would lose. Funny they thought the same in 2002

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

A  question for the Moderators,could we have a permanently pinned thread allowing us to post links to old Rovers footage... we should be proud of our history.

Hold that thought... @OnePhilT is working on something that could turn into a Rovers archive section of the site...announcements as soon as we have something to share...👍🏻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@SIMON GARNERS 194 I've moved this thread into the I'm in Heaven section (seems like the most appropriate place). Fill yer boots.

@Herbie6590 I'm almost done with the new archive page (I managed to do some work on it on Thursday and Friday) - should be sending you a preview tomorrow. I'd finish it off today but I'll busy doing Shefki Kuqi belly flops in swimming pools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Phil,sorry to come over as being Pedantic but wouldn't this thread have been better pinned to the main message board as that has by far the biggest viewing...just seems a shame to have it tucked away here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Rovers v WBA at Ewood FA Cup 5th round 1952...The Blue n Whtes win 1-0 in front of 51,000 and then comes an old foe.....

 

Rovers V Burnley at Ewood FA Cup 6th round 1952....The Blue n Whites win 3-1 in front of a crowd of 53,000.

 

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not quite as far back in time but still brings back wonderful memories. Howard Kendall scoring a rare goal at Ewood

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember going to friendly at Spotland, Rochdale v Everton in about 1970, Howard Kendall came over to take a throw in about 6 ft from where I was stood. I really rated him as a top young player but when I looked at the back of his head you could see the bald patch just starting to emerge. I wasn't quite as jealous after that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I remember going to friendly at Spotland, Rochdale v Everton in about 1970, Howard Kendall came over to take a throw in about 6 ft from where I was stood. I really rated him as a top young player but when I looked at the back of his head you could see the bald patch just starting to emerge. I wasn't quite as jealous after that.

I've been bald since I was 19 so I can't really comment on that heh heh, but Howard Kendall signed my brother for Rovers as a 16 year old and our kid ended up with one of his shirts (same kit as is featured in that clip above). I was always surprised at how small it was. Top bloke and what a player and manager he was!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Phil,sorry to come over as being Pedantic but wouldn't this thread have been better pinned to the main message board as that has by far the biggest viewing...just seems a shame to have it tucked away here.

I completely agree with you. This should not be tucked away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, oldjamfan1 said:

I've been bald since I was 19 so I can't really comment on that heh heh, but Howard Kendall signed my brother for Rovers as a 16 year old and our kid ended up with one of his shirts (same kit as is featured in that clip above). I was always surprised at how small it was. Top bloke and what a player and manager he was!

Yeah, he was unlucky to be playing in an era when there was a glut of top wing halves ( defensive midfield  players ) then so I don't think he ever got a full cap. He'd be a walk in now when you see the likes of Dier, Delph and Rice getting caps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rovers v Liverpool FA Cup 4th Round 1935.Rovers the famous Cup fighters see off the Reds 1-0 in front of another Ewood 50,000....mascots galore!

 

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, oldjamfan1 said:

I've been bald since I was 19 so I can't really comment on that heh heh, but Howard Kendall signed my brother for Rovers as a 16 year old and our kid ended up with one of his shirts (same kit as is featured in that clip above). I was always surprised at how small it was. Top bloke and what a player and manager he was!

He’d not get in that shirt now!

Sorry

😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

I completely agree with you. This should not be tucked away.

That section is actually a space for important topics that can still be actively discussed years after the previous post has been made.

This part of the message board moves fast, and we need to archive topics from this section that are no longer discussed - mainly for performance reasons, but also because many posters start up duplicate threads on those that already exist, but have been inactive for over a year (mainly because this requires searching, which can be a bit of an effort).

Nevertheless, I pinned it here yesterday as requested - hope that's OK for everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, OnePhilT said:

That section is actually a space for important topics that can still be actively discussed years after the previous post has been made.

This part of the message board moves fast, and we need to archive topics from this section that are no longer discussed - mainly for performance reasons, but also because many posters start up duplicate threads on those that already exist, but have been inactive for over a year (mainly because this requires searching, which can be a bit of an effort).

Nevertheless, I pinned it here yesterday as requested - hope that's OK for everyone.

A day or so ago I was looking for Lancs Manx Cup stuff on Google and got directed to a page on the MB. I was looking for a game we played in the Isle of Man v IoM at Castletown Stadium as I attended. I wanted to post a unique Team photo (I took it pre match!) but could not as the Thread was archived and locked. Hence why this sort of thread should be kept in view. If that makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, old darwen blue said:

He’d not get in that shirt now!

Sorry

😀

He couldn't get in it back then Mark, in all honesty ha ha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

A day or so ago I was looking for Lancs Manx Cup stuff on Google and got directed to a page on the MB. I was looking for a game we played in the Isle of Man v IoM at Castletown Stadium as I attended. I wanted to post a unique Team photo (I took it pre match!) but could not as the Thread was archived and locked. Hence why this sort of thread should be kept in view. If that makes sense.

Yes, which is why I put it in the other section - because when this thread (in all likelihood) dies down and slips out of view (we can't keep it pinned forever - we currently have five things pinned), then it will fall into the abyss. I did it with a bit of thought, but I am just doing what you lot are asking me to do. We can maybe move it if the need arises. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Phil,is there a limit to how many pinned threads you can have on the main board?

I was hoping this could be permanently pinned here for members to add footage of Rovers when/if it becomes available for viewing...let new Rovers fans and opposition fans know exactly what our famous old club is all about.

I fully understand if this is not possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.