Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Stuart

Match Time Machine

Recommended Posts

Yeah I think so.

I think that was around the time the current Riverside was being built?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MarkBRFC said:

Yeah I think so.

I think that was around the time the current Riverside was being built?

It reopened as just an open terrace for a year or so - 88/89 you can see it for the Garner record against City and the Palace play off. 

Then closed for good in 1990.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great stuff. A few comments. Plenty of good football played by both side on a tip of a pitch. Today it would have ended up 9 a side. 3 goals came from wingers getting around teams. The lad Reid was a good player.

Not enough sideways passing and keep ball for todays fans, plus it might have got a bit too exciting  for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

It reopened as just an open terrace for a year or so - 88/89 you can see it for the Garner record against City and the Palace play off. 

Then closed for good in 1990.
 

I think this is why I was getting confused as I knew I'd watched both of those games from the Riverside. 

Getting old is a privilege but frustrating at times :)

Edited by oldjamfan1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LDRover said:

87/88 season Leeds away. Really hostile atmosphere in and out of the ground and we came back from 2 down to draw 2-2 and were unlucky not to win in the end. 5,000 rovers fans crammed behind the goal going radio rental when we equalised.

That was a great side put together on a shoestring by Don Mackay. No dumbing down of the club back then like there is now.

Remember it well. A lot of their 'boys' were going mental in that paddock down the right side of the pitch from us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Remember it well. A lot of their 'boys' were going mental in that paddock down the right side of the pitch from us. 

The walk to the coaches through the subway after the game was a bit fraught too!!

There was all sorts of bother before the game and blokes selling BNP literature outside the ground. Was a real eye opener for a 16 year old.

Edited by LDRover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Would love to go back and watch this game which in effect was my first watching the Rovers, aged 9. I think I also went to a few games in 1962 and 1963 but remember little about them other than being lifted over the turnstile which was a common thing in those days and then Dads usually gave the turnstile attendant a small tip. My Dad took this cutting from the Sunday Mirror on 27th September 1964 and I’ve kept it ever since. The match was obviously the day before. (I also have the scores and tables from that paper which I may post after if interested).

Trying to work out the team from that day with reference to the press report – Tyrone, Jim Mk2 and AllRoverAsia may be able to help. Something like:-

Jones, Newton, Joyce, Clayton, England, McGrath, Ferguson, McEvoy, Byrom, Douglas, Harrison.

I think Pickering may have been sold that season to Everton.

Hope Oldgregg may get some idea of how good Douglas and Clayton were from this cutting.

After this game, the Rovers became a massive part of me and my family’s life’s. Enjoyed every decade through the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s when we struggled. Then Uncle Jacks 90’s and 2000’s glorious period, when we were a proper run club. How sad to see where we are today.

First away game, Elland Road think it was over Christmas period 64 or 65, drew 1-1. Think Douglas scored the goal that day. Never felt as intimidated in my life. Such a hostile atmosphere for a 9/10 year old.

My Dad had a season ticket from after the war until he was in his 80’s. Passed away 4 years ago.

His favourite Rovers player was Douglas. Best he had ever seen was Shearer. Best other player he had ever seen was Finney.

Rovers v leicester (2).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Stonesrick said:

 

Would love to go back and watch this game which in effect was my first watching the Rovers, aged 9. I think I also went to a few games in 1962 and 1963 but remember little about them other than being lifted over the turnstile which was a common thing in those days and then Dads usually gave the turnstile attendant a small tip. My Dad took this cutting from the Sunday Mirror on 27th September 1964 and I’ve kept it ever since. The match was obviously the day before. (I also have the scores and tables from that paper which I may post after if interested).

Trying to work out the team from that day with reference to the press report – Tyrone, Jim Mk2 and AllRoverAsia may be able to help. Something like:-

Jones, Newton, Joyce, Clayton, England, McGrath, Ferguson, McEvoy, Byrom, Douglas, Harrison.

I think Pickering may have been sold that season to Everton.

Hope Oldgregg may get some idea of how good Douglas and Clayton were from this cutting.

After this game, the Rovers became a massive part of me and my family’s life’s. Enjoyed every decade through the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s when we struggled. Then Uncle Jacks 90’s and 2000’s glorious period, when we were a proper run club. How sad to see where we are today.

First away game, Elland Road think it was over Christmas period 64 or 65, drew 1-1. Think Douglas scored the goal that day. Never felt as intimidated in my life. Such a hostile atmosphere for a 9/10 year old.

My Dad had a season ticket from after the war until he was in his 80’s. Passed away 4 years ago.

His favourite Rovers player was Douglas. Best he had ever seen was Shearer. Best other player he had ever seen was Finney.

Rovers v leicester (2).jpg

Great post. Your dad was a very lucky man to have seen so many great players pull on our famous jersey. Keep the faith mate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/08/2020 at 20:22, Stuart said:

If you had a time machine and could travel back in time to watch just one match live (even if for a second time), which would it be and why?

Fa cup semi-final v Chelsea, so I could get behind the goal and shout at Pedersen to keep his eye on the f******g ball in the build up to the header he missed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Fa cup semi-final v Chelsea, so I could get behind the goal and shout at Pedersen to keep his eye on the f******g ball in the build up to the header he missed.  

I was right behind that goal and to this day I have no idea how he managed to miss it. The irony was Morten was generally a pretty good header of a ball, especially for a winger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I was right behind that goal and to this day I have no idea how he managed to miss it. The irony was Morten was generally a pretty good header of a ball, especially for a winger.

Heartbreaking. Especially looking back where we are now. What an opportunity and what a team we had then. Deserved to push on and achieve something magical. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Heartbreaking. Especially looking back where we are now. What an opportunity and what a team we had then. Deserved to push on and achieve something magical. 

Aye it was a real sliding door moment that alright. I don't hold it against the lad though, he did some great things for us as well, not least on that very ground against the red rags!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, oldjamfan1 said:

Aye it was a real sliding door moment that alright. I don't hold it against the lad though, he did some great things for us as well, not least on that very ground against the red rags!

Indeed, but what a legend he could have made himself. I am sure he thinks about it from time to time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Indeed, but what a legend he could have made himself. I am sure he thinks about it from time to time. 

Aye I'm sure he does have the odd nightmare about it. Sometimes these things are inexplicable. I remember Steve Davis missing that black in the world snooker final, the one that he would have potted 99 times out of 100, to allow Dennis Taylor back to the table. It was a similar moment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I was right behind that goal and to this day I have no idea how he managed to miss it. The irony was Morten was generally a pretty good header of a ball, especially for a winger.

I was right behind the goal as well, sort of in line with the path of the ball. I can't agree he was a good header of the ball. He had a great spring in his legs and he could get up for a header better than most but after that where the ball went was another story.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Stonesrick said:

 

Would love to go back and watch this game which in effect was my first watching the Rovers, aged 9. I think I also went to a few games in 1962 and 1963 but remember little about them other than being lifted over the turnstile which was a common thing in those days and then Dads usually gave the turnstile attendant a small tip. My Dad took this cutting from the Sunday Mirror on 27th September 1964 and I’ve kept it ever since. The match was obviously the day before. (I also have the scores and tables from that paper which I may post after if interested).

Trying to work out the team from that day with reference to the press report – Tyrone, Jim Mk2 and AllRoverAsia may be able to help. Something like:-

Jones, Newton, Joyce, Clayton, England, McGrath, Ferguson, McEvoy, Byrom, Douglas, Harrison.

I think Pickering may have been sold that season to Everton.

Hope Oldgregg may get some idea of how good Douglas and Clayton were from this cutting.

After this game, the Rovers became a massive part of me and my family’s life’s. Enjoyed every decade through the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s when we struggled. Then Uncle Jacks 90’s and 2000’s glorious period, when we were a proper run club. How sad to see where we are today.

First away game, Elland Road think it was over Christmas period 64 or 65, drew 1-1. Think Douglas scored the goal that day. Never felt as intimidated in my life. Such a hostile atmosphere for a 9/10 year old.

My Dad had a season ticket from after the war until he was in his 80’s. Passed away 4 years ago.

His favourite Rovers player was Douglas. Best he had ever seen was Shearer. Best other player he had ever seen was Finney.

Rovers v leicester (2).jpg

Sat Sept 26th.

Rovers 3- Leicester 1

Att - 14,964

Scorers - McEvoy, Ferguson, Byrom.

Jones.

Newton, Joyce.

Clayton, Mulvaney, McGrath.

Ferguson, McEvoy, Byrom, Douglas, Harrison.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I was right behind the goal as well, sort of in line with the path of the ball. I can't agree he was a good header of the ball. He had a great spring in his legs and he could get up for a header better than most but after that where the ball went was another story.

He was no Shearer but as wingers go he was one of the better headers of the ball. And you would have expected him to score that one in the semi final. I would have backed myself to score it perhaps 7 or 8 times out of 10 and I was only a decent amateur player. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

He was no Shearer but as wingers go he was one of the better headers of the ball. And you would have expected him to score that one in the semi final. I would have backed myself to score it perhaps 7 or 8 times out of 10 and I was only a decent amateur player. 

I don't want to be argumentative but good headers of the ball playing up front score their fair share of headed goals, he didn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don't want to be argumentative but good headers of the ball playing up front score their fair share of headed goals, he didn't.

I don't want to be argumentative either but he didn't really play 'up front' in the sense that he was a wider player. Granted he should still be scoring far post headers when the play is on the other wing. I'm not really a big lover of stats; I'd rather use the evidence of my own eyes and while he only ever scored a handful of headed goals his heading stats generally are miles better than most wingers.  He was strong in the air if not a prolific scorer of headed goals.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah ya Pedersen had a decent header for a winger. Just wish it was someone else on the end of that one! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.