BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gun Law Debate: Please keep posts civil and conversational

Dave you might as well give up. Steve is not interested in modifying his opinions or beliefs on this one no matter how many stats or logical arguments you put together. Its an article of faith. You might as well try to convince a Christian there is no God.

ps. Not having a dig, just saying what I have seen on this thread for x pages and pages and pages

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Countries like Switzerland have shown that gun ownership can work... with the right regulations.

There are too many socio-political differences for the Swiss model to work in the US, however.

Redneck blows his legs off shooting a lawnmower filled with explosive substance

Smart people

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/03/24/man-loses-leg-shooting-lawnmower-full-explosives/82232440/

Suppose its educates dangers of shooting lawnmowers stacked with explosives but prefer not to watch footage of someones leg being blown off.

I worked on a project with some American engineers over here several years back. In the main they were 30 ish college educated guys, really friendly and very helpful. One of them went for a vacation back in the US. When he came back here he was showing me photos of what he had done on his holiday.

With some pals he'd bought a couple of old cars and driven them out to the end of a box canyon in the middle of nowhere. They had a SUV with a 0.50" calibre heavy machine gun mounted on the back. With this they spent all afternoon shooting the crap out of the old cars.

I worked on a project with some American engineers over here several years back. In the main they were 30 ish college educated guys, really friendly and very helpful. One of them went for a vacation back in the US. When he came back here he was showing me photos of what he had done on his holiday.

With some pals he'd bought a couple of old cars and driven them out to the end of a box canyon in the middle of nowhere. They had a SUV with a 0.50" calibre heavy machine gun mounted on the back. With this they spent all afternoon shooting the crap out of the old cars.

The difference being that they didn't load the cars with explosives, as they had some brains.

Edited thanks to Ultrablue's catch. Thank you.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Cheers for bumping this thread Paul, looked for it couldn't find it

Whilst politicians stifled a debate on guns for 15 hours 48 people were shot in the US

http://indy100.independent.co.uk/article/while-politicians-stifled-a-debate-on-guns-for-15-hours-48-people-were-shot-in-the-us--W1S2qC5wNZ

The article is a little misleading in one way.

The filibuster was actually pro-gun control. The Democrat trying to force the Republican leadership to agree to a vote on banning the sale of guns to people on the terror watchlist. After 15 hours they finally conceded so he stepped down from the desk.

But the fact that 48 people were shot in any 15 hour period - something needs to change.

I guess it depends on whether you think tighter gun laws will stop criminals from getting and using guns. The trick is how to get them out of the hands of criminals. Until then the argument will be 'how will I defend myself when the bad guys attack me or my family?'

If it was a vote for not introducing guns it would be simpler but as it is guns are endemic and it would require a massive amnesty with only the 'good guys' complying.

This will take a lot longer than 15 hours.

True. You can ban them completely but there's estimated to be hundreds of millions of them knocking about. And you know the crazy ultra right wing fruitcakes will keep them hidden somewhere in case the 'New World Order' knock on their front door and try to sell them a vacuum cleaner that reads their minds.

The USA is in a pretty bad state right now, economically, socially and politically. When people are advocating religious 'persecution', be it of Muslims or gay/transgender people instead of trying to stop crazy people buying guns then you're in trouble.

I guess it depends on whether you think tighter gun laws will stop criminals from getting and using guns. The trick is how to get them out of the hands of criminals. Until then the argument will be 'how will I defend myself when the bad guys attack me or my family?'

If it was a vote for not introducing guns it would be simpler but as it is guns are endemic and it would require a massive amnesty with only the 'good guys' complying.

This will take a lot longer than 15 hours.

There would have to be an absolutely enormous dragnet operation to get guns out of circulation. It is possible though. I Europe after WW2 or in Australia when they banned weapons huge amounts of guns were impounded and controlled.

Jbn, In Australia, we had a gun amnesty whereby citizens with guns could surrender them. They gave them up to be destroyed in light of the happenings at Port Arthur. I can't recall whether the Government paid compensation or not.

It's now illegal to own a weapon that is not registered and stored in an approved manner.

Jbn, In Australia, we had a gun amnesty whereby citizens with guns could surrender them. They gave them up to be destroyed in light of the happenings at Port Arthur. I can't recall whether the Government paid compensation or not.

It's now illegal to own a weapon that is not registered and stored in an approved manner.

Yes there was compensation for the gun buy back programmes / amnesties in 1996/97 and 2003

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_buyback_program#Australia

During the 2006/07 amnesty nearly 1 million weapons were bought and destroyed

I am sure you know better than me but wasnt there a seizure operation as well for know caches of now illegal weapons? Or was it all voluntary?

Archived