[Archived] Gun Law Debate: Please keep posts civil and conversational

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36563337

US Senate rejects terror list gun sale restrictions

_90042342_slaughterhouse.png

Some of those comments are absolutlely mental. It's as if they're living in a parallel universe. Absolutely no self-awareness whatsoever.

The right to have guns is more important than American lives. Absolutely speechless.

Rather than wait for the Senate to act, why can't US citizens just... I don't know... stop buying guns? Or dispose of the ones they have. Walk into a police station, put it on the counter and say: I don't want this any more?

Because ultimately the American public are afraid to be the only one without. "Don't care bout nobody else, if @#/? goes down imanna be prepared"

The US place more stock in the constitution than religious groups do in their bibles/korans/torahs...

...at least when it comes to owning guns.

Democrats are holding a 'sit in' on the Congress floor to try and force a vote on gun control.

They're asking for expanded background checks and sales to be refused to terror suspects.

Sounds pretty sensible to me.

Sensible to the rest of the world yes, but the "freedom" to kill children is more important to the Senate, aka the NRA.

Its called democracy Jim, if the country wanted it they'd vote for it, bit like a Labour government, not wanted.

In many US states, you have to have parental permission (u-18), have to travel to only 1 or 2 licensed places in the state, register and wait 48 hours, have counselling, and be declared fit to make the decision, before having to walk through lines of people who are totally against your rights holding up pictures of victims.

I wonder how many of those wanting a gun, would put up with the conditions applied to some of those wanting an abortion.

Its called democracy Jim, if the country wanted it they'd vote for it, bit like a Labour government, not wanted.

They have elected Obama on a mandate of better gun control twice, he just cannot get the legislation through the senate.

They have elected Obama on a mandate of better gun control twice, he just cannot get the legislation through the senate.

The democrats don't hold the power in the senate as you know, and Obama can't persuade enough republicans to push through his reforms, thats a failing of Obama sadly, although in my opinion he's a great man, but a poor president.

The American people don't want gun control or they'd vote for it and remove hard liners opposing reform.

The democrats don't hold the power in the senate as you know, and Obama can't persuade enough republicans to push through his reforms, thats a failing of Obama sadly, although in my opinion he's a great man, but a poor president.

The American people don't want gun control or they'd vote for it and remove hard liners opposing reform.

I don't think you can blame Obama to be honest Gav, the way the power seems to be held in the US its pretty hard to get any legislation through that affects real change (especially when there is republican senators and a democratic president - or vice-versa) which may or may not be the desired effect from the public.

If you where to have a countrywide poll in the US, of whether they should have greater gun ownership controls, I think the majority would be for, but a much narrower margin than for the UK, and probably much more regionalist too.

The GOP-controlled Senate can block anything it likes even when there is a mandate for change.

The US political system is at fault here - not Obama.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Backroom

Black man stopped by white cops in US. Black man tells cop he has a conceal-and-carry permit and has a gun, but is slowly reaching for his driving licence.

Cops shoot him (sat in a stationery car) 4 times from point blank range. All the while the guy's gf is live-streaming the incident.

Horrific. The US needs to sort its gun laws and definitely must address it's racism-infested Police Force.

Black man stopped by white cops in US. Black man tells cop he has a conceal-and-carry permit and has a gun, but is slowly reaching for his driving licence.

Cops shoot him (sat in a stationery car) 4 times from point blank range. All the while the guy's gf is live-streaming the incident.

Horrific. The US needs to sort its gun laws and definitely must address it's racism-infested Police Force.

Whilst not condoning this in any way, are you sure it's racism ? What about the young white guy who was unarmed and on the floor yet shot a number of times? Mike I think you're jumping to conclusions my friend. This is about a trigger happy police' not necessarily racist police.

• Backroom

Whilst not condoning this in any way, are you sure it's racism ? What about the young white guy who was unarmed and on the floor yet shot a number of times? Mike I think you're jumping to conclusions my friend. This is about a trigger happy police' not necessarily racist police.

If he was white, he wouldn't have been shot for literally doing what he was asked. That's just my gut instinct (admittedly a weak argument).

More people shot by police in the US this month, than in the UK since 1960. We are only 7 days into July.

The live streamed shooting, plus the Sterling shooting just 2 days ago (again caught on video), which is worse than today's shows there is an inherent problem.

Here is a quote from the Guardian:

The two men were the 135th and 136th African Americans to be killed by police across the US in 2016, according to an ongoing Guardian project to document every death caused by law enforcement officers. In total, 561 people have been killed so far this year.

Check out the Guardian link for details.

Here is a quote from the Guardian:

The two men were the 135th and 136th African Americans to be killed by police across the US in 2016, according to an ongoing Guardian project to document every death caused by law enforcement officers. In total, 561 people have been killed so far this year.

Check out the Guardian link for details.

Scary statistics!

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun." (Wayne LaPierre NRA vice-president)

But not always it seems:

Also on Sunday, Dallas’s mayor, Mike Rawlings, said marchers carrying weapons and dressed in body armor had distracted law enforcement from the actual gunman on Thursday, telling CBS’s Face the Nation that other individuals carrying guns on the scene “took our eye off the ball for a moment”.

“You can carry a rifle legally and when you have gunfire going on, you usually go with the person that’s got a gun,” he said. “And so our police grabbed some of those individuals, took them to police headquarters and worked it out and figured out that they were not the shooters. But that is one of the real issues with the gun rights issues that we face – that in the middle of a firefight, it’s hard to pick out the good guys and the bad guys.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jul/10/micah-johnson-dallas-gunman-explosives-attack

Archived