BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The FA Cup.Quarter Final Match Reaction

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss !!!!! After Lucas getting pulled back, didn't think it was gonna go for us but we did it !

When is the semi-now ? Do we know where yet ? Have to book some time off work to go even if it is midweek

...and Perdersen is playing better ever game

we scraped it, just.

we started off the game great, MGP's free-kick was class, but then we let Leicester come back into it and we really didn't do enough to win the game. We were in trouble towards the end, but got lucky with the penalty. It hasn't been pretty but we're through the semi-finals, which is what maters

It's fantastic that we're in the semis but I can't help but be concerned about how we've struggled against two frankly mediocre, verging on rubbish, Championship sides.

We seem to lack the poise and passing fluidity which will be essential if we have any hopes of getting to the final. However, with Ferguson gone and Tugay flagging - do we have anyone to prompt a passing game in the middle of the park?

Nonetheless, Hughes deserves praise for getting us this far. I feel sorry for Leicester - what a sickening way to lose.

Edited by rover6

i wasn't impressed with the way we played through most of the game, but good teams find a way to win biggrin.gif

i've never been more nervous for a penalty kick in my life. lol.

definately an entertaining game.

I feel sorry for Leicester - what a sickening way to lose.

Are you insane in the membrane?!

Who gives a toss?! We won, someone has to lose, and quite frankly leicester didn't deserve a draw, which is what they came for.

Not bothered that pen was a bit iffy as we should've had one earlier.

not a pretty game, but frankly, who expected a pretty game? i thought it was a professional performance; not pretty, not fluid, but at the end of the day, getting the win was the only thing that mattered.

regardless of the outcome of newcastle vs spurs, we have to be the team which everyone is praying they draw in the semis. i'm not bothered about who we get, its not gonna be easy. but so long as we turn it on, there's no reason why we can't get a good result against any other team left. cardiff, here we come (second of three visits this season). tinykit.gif

We didn't look like scoring much, though to be fair neither did they. Other than times when we let them dictate the pace of the game we kept the ball very well and had it under control. It's becoming our style of play, and we'll find a way to get that goal, could easily have had others really had little dickov half chances, pedersen's free kick or neill's chance gone in rather than getting a penalty, which by the way I thought was one for sure don't know what the BBC folk were on.

One or two shakey moments, but perhaps that was the occasion getting to the players who knows, but really we did what we had to.

What really annoys me is how we are attacked for the media for boring games, boring play and lacking any creativity. It's true we set our stall out to be solid and work from there, but had Arsenal done what we did today, which is exactly what they did against Sheffield United and even to some extent againt Bolton yesterday it would have been praised as the performance that was needed on the day, for us, we are just crap and boring. Oh well, as long as we keep winning I don't mind.

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss !!!!! After Lucas getting pulled back, didn't think it was gonna go for us but we did it !

When is the semi-now ? Do we know where yet ? Have to book some time off work to go even if it is midweek

...and Perdersen is playing better ever game

Never mind, found the details, Cardiff, the first Semi-Final will kick off at 5.15pm on Saturday 16 April 2005, with the second Semi-Final the following day at 4pm

Come draw tomorrow, be booking my tickets and hotel. Anyone from London going ? Loads I'm guessing

It's fantastic that we're in the semis but I can't help but be concerned about how we've struggled against two frankly mediocre, verging on rubbish, Championship sides.

We seem to lack the poise and passing fluidity which will be essential if we have any hopes of getting to the final. However, with Ferguson gone and Tugay flagging - do we have anyone to prompt a passing game in the middle of the park?

Arsenal, Chelsea and Uts also have trouble breaking down teams just wanting to defend and string 5 across midfield

We seem to lack the poise and passing fluidity which will be essential if we have any hopes of getting to the final.

Why do we have to have those assets? I remember watching Rovers play one of the matches against Arsenal when we did the double over them... it was an extremely scrappy and unpretty game on our part; very much the opposite of what you suggest we need against a side like the Londoners.

great win, but performances bring down to earth a a bit, thought Dickov look poor on his own, rather wasteful, lucky to take the pen after last miss but decent penalty in the end.

we still look solid accross midfield/defence

credit to foxes on the tactics

Edited by chris

It's gonna be an hard game whoever we play i'd prefer to play on a Saturday though. Bit of a late kick off gonna be a long day for everyone who's goin' whether it's on a Sunday or Saturday.

COME ON ROVERS !!!

Edited by grizfoot

WHO GIVES A TO$$ HOW WE PLAYED!!!!!!

WE'RE ALL GOING TO CARDIFF!!!!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

A great result, not the best of games, but I'm not really bothered. The result makes the game look closer than it actually was. Leicester didn't come to win the game, they were looking for a draw and to bring us back to the Walker's Stadium. In saying that though, Rovers, will have to improve dramatically, if they want to have a chance of getting to the final. Apart from Pedersen's free kick, Dickov's chance and Neill's run into the box, Rovers created very little. They keep the ball well and look solid at the back, but they are missing that bit of class up front and in midfield. This can only be corrected in the summer, when Hughes has the chance to bring in new players.

Apart from his goal, Dickov did little to impress by himself, showing that if we are to have a greater threat going forward, we need to play with two strikers. However, I can see us playing the same system in the semi-final as it makes us harder to break down. I hope that we get the winner of Tottenham and Newcastle, instead of Arsenal or United. But at this stage, any of the teams left will be very hard to beat. I can't wait for the next round!

Radio Rovers woman commentator sounded like she was on the edge of an orgasm when MGP went down in the penalty box.

Anyone know their email address for comments? I missed it.

touchline@radiorovers.com

And ffs, you knew what I meant, Paul! laugh.gif

Nonetheless, Hughes deserves praise for getting us this far. I feel sorry for Leicester - what a sickening way to lose.

Going to have to take issue with that. Sickening way to lose? Leicester deserved nothing, zilch, nil from this game. The Leicester defender goes to ground to play the ball in the box and brings down MGP, he gets up tries to step/jump over the defender who brings him down again. This was a nailed on, bang to rights penalty, it's in the rules so they lost. Leicester showed the attacking ambition of a road-kill. They deserved to lose and it would have been a travesty if this had been a draw.

Not a great performance I agree but then the opposition chose to defend with 11 men and play the entire game in their half. This is how you lose games of football. Leicester did not create a single chance, it was 30 minutes before Friedel touched the ball.......and we have to feel sorry for them?

Rovers haven't put in great performances in the cup? I'd argue with that. Against Burnley (twice), Leicester and to a lesser extent Colchester, we were asked to play against teams with only one intention - stop us scoring and hope they can nick one. In each game Rovers did not make mistakes, concentrated hard, took the game to the opposition for 90 minutes and WON. Burnley created four chances in two games, Leicester none at all today - they where there to be beaten.

What else are the team supposed to do? Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd etc all struggle to beat teams who are determined not to lose. Look at the game against Chelsea at Ewood, we made them look very, very average as we tried to avoid losing first and foremost.

I'm delighted with the whole team, I feel they are playing for the club and the fans. It's not the greatest football, but it is WINNING football. Given our current squad I'll settle for that.

Would we rather have four wins and a draw out of five or the gutless stuff Souness gave us? You choice, I know who I want to support.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.