SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Semi Final

doowe

less of the humour please

it was not me, but i find my self in the unfortunate position as well

train leaves hull at 5.05 am and maybe arrives in cardiff by 11.40 am

6 and a bit hours - now that makes me tired and probably drunk

after reading about all the trains that are not running - now im tired and p***ed off.

Why oh Why ??????? ohmy.gifohmy.gif

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

roseannas.b+b

cathedral rd.

I dont have the phone number but if you you dont mind a hovel and fleas and the odd shady charecter,usually has rooms,5 mins walk to the staduim.

I stayed there last year for 8 weeks working in cardiff....FIFTEEN QUID A ROOM!!

it can't be that difficult to get there on the train. If there are works on the train line betwen Brsitol and Cardiff,

the train companies will be putting replacement buses on, and it will take a little bit longer than usaul

a) It will be impossible to get their on the train on the Saturday.

cool.gif A LITTLE longer, I doubt that very much, the replacement buses never run at the same times as the trains they replace, and they too will be caught up in the traffic trying to get over the Severn Bridge. PLUS they will stop at all stations to cardiff on the way. Forget that one.

ph34r.gif On the national rail map there are two lines from Bristol to Cardiff. the line from Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff is rail replacement buses, and the line from Bristol Parkway to Cardiff is trains!!! So chill

sorry i forgot to highlight the fact - I work two days of week for network rail on the West Coast upgrade team (nothing to do with day to day running I promise)

So I rang up the bloke in charge of the works in Bristol and had a chat with him

as far as he could tell me

NO TRAINS FROM BRISTOL TO CARDIFF

on that weekend.

Sorry to be a pain - luckily I am going down to Brtistol Friday, by car - I had aimed to get the train over - I can always drive or get a lift to Newport and then get the train - Others cant

Also as has already might have been mentioned buses hold at maimum 50 people - 70 if Double deckers an intercity holds about 500, a small sprinter (4 carriage) holds about 200. (ish)

I cant wait to see the fighting of fans plus other passengers trying ot get on the buses

There is no need at all for people to be struggling to get on replacement buses. Stu has proposed a very good solution which will benefit us all. It will be the same price as the train if we all club together. There must be plenty of us staying down in Bristol so come on folks get contacting Stuwilky and we'll all get in no problem.

A simple solution this Bristol moaning is tedious:-

1) Book Stu's bus

or

2) Cancel rooms in Bristol, no hotel can charge with this much notice..and book on a different line as Ricky suggested

or

3) Stay in Cardiff on the Friday night or surrounding areas

or

4) All the moaners hire a mini bus and travel direct from Lancs to cardiff

Frustrating and FA f**k up but lets move on and talk about the semi instead of Bristol please..

ph34r.gif On the national rail map there are two lines from Bristol to Cardiff. the line from Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff is rail replacement buses, and the line from Bristol Parkway to Cardiff is trains!!! So chill

Have a look at a map and you'll notice there's a ****ing big river estuary slap bang between Bristol and Cardiff.

The tunnel the trains go through is 4 1/2 miles long.

It took thousands of men nearly 15 years and 76 million bricks to build it (opened in 1886).

They didn't build a spare one.

A simple solution this Bristol moaning is tedious:-

1) Book Stu's bus

or

2) Cancel rooms in Bristol, no hotel can charge with this much notice..and book on a different line as Ricky suggested

or

3) Stay in Cardiff on the Friday night or surrounding areas

or

4) All the moaners hire a mini bus and travel direct from Lancs to cardiff

Frustrating and FA f**k up but lets move on and talk about the semi instead of Bristol please..

OK fair enough but you like me live in the Cotswolds which is for most people is down the road from Cardiff wink.gif

Have a look at a map and you'll notice there's a ****ing big river estuary slap bang between Bristol and Cardiff.

The tunnel the trains go through is 4 1/2 miles long.

It took thousands of men nearly 15 years and 76 million bricks to build it (opened in 1886).

laugh.giflaugh.gif

Comedy genius, you're wasted in your current role laugh.gif

Trying to find the best way of getting too and from Cardiff, especially after the lost hours last time. Local United fan tells me, the best way to do it, drive to Newport then catch a tram for the 15 minute journey into Cardiff…..can anyone confirm if their is any truth in this? unsure.gif

Edited by Derbyshire Blue

Am I right in presuming that trains from Cheltenham and Gloucester that don't change at Bristol run direct to Cardiff and are thus unaffected?

Edit - with hindsight that appears a stupid drunken question. I've got a large PDF of UK rail lines and routes and they are direct.

Edited by Hasta

How do you know ??

Darwen Todd is a copper and there might be a secret one for important people biggrin.gif

So I guess Todds on the buses too.

Seriously NEVER EVER EVER EVER rely on the British Train System to get you there.

I'm pretty sure from experience (going from Crewe to Swansea), that even the crappy sprinter type train goes via Bristol. Please check with national rail enquiries before you start to trust the rail services.

The Manchester - Cardiff services go via Shrewsbury and Hereford and dont go anywhere near Bristol.

I do work for a rail company and weekend travel is an adventure and as Ste B says the cardiff service from Manchester and Crewe are only 2 coach sprinter trains maybe they add more coaches to the services over the cup finals weekend, If I find out anything I will post it.

Edited by Grabbi Graeme

My email to the FA

Dear Sir,

I have previously written to you to voice my concerns about the FA Cup Semi Finals being held at Cardiff.........., This raises the question about what you actually have done to organise these games?

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Genius. Funniest thing I've read in years.

Trying to find the best way of getting too and from Cardiff, especially after the lost hours last time. Local United fan tells me, the best way to do it, drive to Newport then catch a tram for the 15 minute journey into Cardiff…..can anyone confirm if their is any truth in this? unsure.gif

Did you mean tram or train? Didn't know there was a tram from Newport.

We got the train from Newport for the Worthies final.

Parking was a bit of a pain around the train station. The station car park is too small so you have to find alternative parking. Luckily it was a sunday so the shopping car parks were empty (I think they were closed but I used the exit to get in and it was free!)

Anyway, trains into cardiff were brilliant. You'll have no problems getting to the game on time from there.

Getting out of Cardiff was another matter. We queued in the rain for what seemed like a couple of hours outside the station. Plenty of trains were coming and going for routes to Reading but they seemed to neglect the local services.

Parking was a bit of a pain around the train station. The station car park is too small so you have to find alternative parking. Luckily it was a sunday so the shopping car parks were empty (I think they were closed but I used the exit to get in and it was free!)

Anyway, trains into cardiff were brilliant. You'll have no problems getting to the game on time from there.

Thanks for that Biddy i was wondering about parking at Newport. Think I might park up at the hotel and then get a cab to the station. I tell you, this had better be worth it - costing me over £300 so far and I got my tickets for free!

Parking was a bit of a pain around the train station. The station car park is too small so you have to find alternative parking.  Luckily it was a sunday so the shopping car parks were empty (I think they were closed but I used the exit to get in and it was free!)

Anyway, trains into cardiff were brilliant.  You'll have no problems getting to the game on time from there.

Thanks for that Biddy i was wondering about parking at Newport. Think I might park up at the hotel and then get a cab to the station. I tell you, this had better be worth it - costing me over £300 so far and I got my tickets for free!

How did you get your tickets free?

Parking was a bit of a pain around the train station. The station car park is too small so you have to find alternative parking.  Luckily it was a sunday so the shopping car parks were empty (I think they were closed but I used the exit to get in and it was free!)

Anyway, trains into cardiff were brilliant.  You'll have no problems getting to the game on time from there.

Yep, I second the trains from Newport as we did exactly the same for the Worthy Cup - although it was Sunday and we parked up early.

However, there where alot of Spurs fans there as well and I do feel some people are forgetting about the Arsenal fans ( and possibly MU and Newcastle) on this occasion in addition to it being on a Saturday

So unless the intentions are to set off - say pre 8am from Bristol/Newport etc I will take a guess that it will be quite busy whichever option is taken.

Just one point - been waiting on the decision re the possible 'special' train and listening to Tom Finn on radio Lancs this is still being considered (waiting on Arriva) - however I feel they have now missed the boat as most people have already started or are already sorted re their travel details.