BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Now We Are Safe

rover.gif is hughes going to be braver than souness was last year?

after the sacking off tony parkes were he cited there was no continuation from the academy to the 1st team,he must.

we must play some off the few starlets that are left from the academy.

we have a left back called taylor who deserves a game.

we have a couple off forwards who deserve a game,barker-derbyshire-johnson.

i would play stead for the rest off the season but these forwards could partner him.

sod the £££££££ we get for getting higher up the league,like i said last season one jewel out off the academy is worth 10 places in the premier tinykit.gif

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference this season Waggy is that everyone is that with the odd exception (both of whom didn't start last night) everyone is battling like mad and doing themselves great credit anyway.

So there would be nothing to be gained in terms of spirit by bringing the youngsters in.

Last season there would have been as as clearly no-one was prepared to perform for Souness.

I wouldn't put a team of rookies out, but one or two fresh faces wouldn't go amiss.

We've carried one or two passengers this year anyway. Can't be any harm at all in giving say a striker a couple of games, especially with us being so tight at the back.

We've got a run of fixtures we can get a good few points from- and possibly make the top half. Maybe give the likes of Taylor, Garner, Johnson and Barker a place on the bench for a few games. Give them 20/30 minutes of games just to get a taste.

By continuing to imply that Flitcroft and Thompson don't battle you are showing yourself up to be a complete buffoon Rev.

Flitcroft does not battle, he puts in a couple of tackles a game and coasts through the rest of it. Anyone with an ounce of sense only have to look at the effort put in by a half fit Savage to see the difference. (Granted he didn't have a particularly good game last night)

Maybe to say Thompson doesn't battle is not quite the right analysis but there's a difference between battling to some effect and not being able to do a single thing right as has been the case with Thompson for several months now. He's clearly a better player than that (or was once) so the reason for his performances is a mystery to me.

"Play with 10" was the shout from one wag behind me when Thompson stripped off last night. Trouble is, no-one was disagreeing and this comment brought chuckles of amusement rather than the righteous indignation it should have done had Thompson been performing to an acceptable level lately.

The range of finishing positions the Rovers might achieve is 7th to 17th.

Or put it another way £5m in prize money.

By all means chuck in the youngsters and lets forget signing a new forward.

rover.gif one youngster coming through the ranks is worth up to 5 million,the only game we need to play our full team is wba,out off cortusey to the other teams in the dog fight,this is the time to blood youngsters tinykit.gif

I have not watched the reserves so perhaps it is not fair for me to judge but is there really any youngsters who are going to add to a team which is doing extremely well?

The places most open to competition are at left back, creative midfield, possibly wide right and striker.

I do not really see a creative player amongst the youth ranks, Donally would appear to be the closest but opinion seems divided with the majority of the weight coming doen in the 'not good enough' camp. A right midfielder would be up against it with Thompson and Emerton knocking about. Striker is difficult as Stead and Dickov are currently battling for one berth. Left back is where I could see someone coming through- McEveley and Taylor probably have a shout but would Hughes want to upset a solid defence?

From what I have heard the only stickon talents in the academy seem to be Garner and Derbyshire who are both about a year away from first team football due to their extreme youth.

There is no point sticking kids in for the hell of it you have to be sure of a decent chance that it will add to the team in either the short or long term.

The money for finishing higher up the league is more crucial than fielding a bunch of hopefuls. A few places higher could get us say Bellamy rather than a poorer striker if we finish lower. I wouldn't mind seeing one or two youngsters on the bench, but why change our lineup when it's doing so well? I think that the two players in question do battle, but they are falling short of the required talent-Thommo imparticular. It seems that he'slost all of his pace and his confidence-granted he was out for the best part of 2 years but if a decent offer comes in the summer then we should take it. (Everton were rumoured to be willing to pay 2-3 million in Jan).

But what's the point of making a well thought out reply? You're so blinkered in your attitude to Flitcroft it's just pathetic.

If we win with him in the team it's despite him. If we win without him it's because he's not playing. If we lose with him in the team it's his fault. After every game you post a little comment that slags him off, no matter how well he's played.

And, despite what you say, he's played well for most of the games he's taken part in this season. But there's no point arguing because you're too stupid to see it.

I've never rated him, granted, for the reasons I've mentioned.

You seem to be right at the other end of the scale and particularly rate him as a good holding midfielder.

Somewhere inbetween the two most observers seem to be of the view that Flitcroft has been poor for this season at least.

It's a game of opinion and it would be a poorer one if we all saw the game exactly the same. By way of example I particularly rate Savage in the same role, waggy judging by the above does not.

No need to get personal about it.

Flitcroft does not battle, he puts in a couple of tackles a game and coasts through the rest of it.

Bollax.

Thanks Scotty. That saves me having to describe Flitcroft any further rolleyes.gif

P.S. I'm happy to admit being blinkered in my attitude towards Flitcroft and there have been times when he played well. I just don't seem to be able to remember any. Stupid me, obviously.

Edited by roversmum

i think flitty deserves some credit this season.

he lost the arm band, thought he was going to be sold earlier in the season and he's fought back and given everything for the club.

done some immense tackles this season and has been a regular since hughsey took over.

a well good team player, i think he's been solid in front of the defence and thats why we have a good defensive record!!

Not seen too much of him this season, but he's always tended to be a bit of a lunger, well since he's slowed down anyway, don't think his injuries have helped in that sense.

Can occasionally come out with moments of magic, like that goal at Wimbledon in 2000.

I've never rated him, granted, for the reasons I've mentioned.

You seem to be right at the other end of the scale and particularly rate him as a good holding midfielder.

Somewhere inbetween the two most observers seem to be of the view that Flitcroft has been poor for this season at least.

It's a game of opinion and it would be a poorer one if we all saw the game exactly the same. By way of example I particularly rate Savage in the same role, waggy judging by the above does not.

No need to get personal about it.

He does a job and does it well for the most part. He's not brilliant but he's good enough and Hughes obviously agrees as he's played quite a few games recently.

My objections to you are based on the fact that you don't judge him on his performance. You go into a game thinking he's crap and unless he scores a hat-trick, cures cancer, and cancels the third-world debt by the end of the game that's the opinion you're going to take home with you. It's just @#/? but you do the same every week.

Oh and I don't think "most observers" think Flitcroft has been poor this season. Just the blinkered ones who know jack about football.

Just my opinion.

I think the 'Flitty's past it' notion started when Souness dropped him at the start of this season, without there being any real justification for it. Another example of Souness falling out with a player and making a bad decision. It just seems that some people haven't questioned Souness's judgment on it, which is amazing seeing as he'd really lost the plot by then. IMO.

Flitcroft is simply not good enough anymore. He's full of passion and grit, but he's getting on and at times he goes missing. He won't get a look in when the midfield is fit.

He has been a good servant, but he's paid too much to be a bit part player.

If Wigan come up they'll take him.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.