BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Now We Are Safe

Anyway, to get away from flittly and back on topic.... *gasp*

Waggy, you point about blooding youngsters is well taken, and most on here wold likely agree that giving some young players a short stint in the prem isn't a bad idea. But Surely finishing as high has possible has to be the goal....

Phillipl's point about the difference in money from 17th to 7th place is vital money for us. I doubt that a young player getting 20-30 minutes instead of a full 90 is really going to cost us the same 5 million down the road....

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see young Garner given a go, im not sure which of the others as im not an expert on the youth team. On another matter, are we now a 4-5-1 team? Ive thought that we played 4-5-1 vs the big teams to stop them playing but would open out to 4-4-2 when playing those around us? Can you see us reverting to 4-4-2 if we get a coupla of strikers in the summer?

Flitcroft does not battle, he puts in a couple of tackles a game and coasts through the rest of it.

Bollax.

Thanks Scotty. That saves me having to describe Flitcroft any further rolleyes.gif

P.S. I'm happy to admit being blinkered in my attitude towards Flitcroft and there have been times when he played well. I just don't seem to be able to remember any. Stupid me, obviously.

its not coz he turned you down is it Mum? dry.gif

We all know thats why Jan hates souness, a women scorned and all that wink.gif

Now that we are safe, Hughes and the rest of the club can start planning for next season. We can look to bring new players into the club, but ones that add quality to the team, instead of the likes of De Pedro and Matteo. Strikers are the priority and Hughes has shown that he can find players, who don't play in the strongest leagues, but can perform in the Premiership. If we have a limited budget, Hughes may have to make some more shrewed signings.

We can also look at getting rid of the deadwood in the team, with players like Gray, Flitcroft, Bothroyd, Amoruso and Short being surplus to requirements. However, I do think that some of these players would have to replace, so our squad isn't weakened.

Next season we can also look to bringing back our old attacking style of play. We have had to abandon this, to a more robust and defensive approach, just so we could guarantee our position in he Premiership for next season.

We have seen glimpses of how good we can be under Hughes and hopefully next season, when we aren't fighting for survival, we can see more of it. However, it will be good to have this rugged style of play in the team, so we can dig and grind out results if things aren't going our way in matches. Indeed, with some quality additions to the squad, I can't see why we couldn't be up at the top of the league, challenging for Europe.

I think that we have one of the best young managers in the country and under his guidance, the future could be very bright for Rovers. He has turned things around since he has come in, so imagine what he could do from the beginning of the season.

We all know thats why Jan hates souness, a women scorned and all that

Funny how the "report a post" doesn't work when it's made by a modator. So obviously moderators can be as offensive as they want and no-one can/will do anything about it.

Dickless wonder

We all know thats why Jan hates souness, a women scorned and all that

Funny how the "report a post" doesn't work when it's made by a modator. So obviously moderators can be as offensive as they want and no-one can/will do anything about it.

Dickless wonder

me think she doth protest too much

and the report post doesnt work for anyone Jan - if you find that post offensive well it was meant in jest - a joke - a bit of fun -

mum got it (so to speak unsure.gif )

Anyway back to topic.

I think the 'Flitty's past it' notion started when Souness dropped him at the start of this season, without there being any real justification for it. Another example of Souness falling out with a player and making a bad decision. It just seems that some people haven't questioned Souness's judgment on it, which is amazing seeing as he'd really lost the plot by then. IMO.

At last someone OTHER than me recognises that people have been taken in by a load of smoke and mirrors. "Todd wouldn't wear the shirt". "David Dunn was too big for his boots". Both utter tosh, but put round by someone you all believed in wholeheartedly like good little Stepford wives. He'd been off the rails since the Celtic away match and no-one but me (and a couple of select others) seemed to recognise it.

Thanks, DanLad for restoring my faith in sanity returning.

I think you're right about that person, Jan. However, by the time the end was nigh even I had begun to think enough was enough.

In the case of Flitty, having observed him closely, I feel he has little skill to offer (except being able to disappear at will and pop up in the middle of the action now and again; and to chop the legs off anyone who's handy). I'm sure he would do well at a Championship club and I'm very willing to provide the transport.

Although he didn't deserve the treatment he got at the hands of that person though, I would have preferred it if his earlier after-training activities had not been plastered all over the press including a photo of one of the ladies concerned, which imo approves that his eyesight is not too good for she was the spitting image of his wife!

Edited by roversmum

Anyway back to topic.

I think the 'Flitty's past it' notion started when Souness dropped him at the start of this season, without there being any real justification for it. Another example of Souness falling out with a player and making a bad decision. It just seems that some people haven't questioned Souness's judgment on it, which is amazing seeing as he'd really lost the plot by then. IMO.

At last someone OTHER than me recognises that people have been taken in by a load of smoke and mirrors. "Todd wouldn't wear the shirt". "David Dunn was too big for his boots". Both utter tosh, but put round by someone you all believed in wholeheartedly like good little Stepford wives. He'd been off the rails since the Celtic away match and no-one but me (and a couple of select others) seemed to recognise it.

Thanks, DanLad for restoring my faith in sanity returning.

I wouldnt say that, I think Flitcroft has been past it for two years now, and I dont think it is only me. I reckon Hughes is of very much the same opinion. He is in the side at the moment because Tugay and Thompson offer little security and are/were well out of form and he is a safe option.

If Savage was fit Flitcroft would not play.

I do not think Flitcroft will feature in Hughes' plans for next season as anything other than a bit part player, if that. If we switch to a 442 then he will be fourth in the que for a starting spot (behind Moko, Reid and Sav) and that is before we bring an extra central midfielder which looks likely.

Flitcroft's strongest side of his game is his defence and engine, but even in these departments he is comprahensively outclassed by Reid, Sav and Moko. Add to that his complete non existence as an attacking force and I cannot see the point in even contemplating him as a first team player.

If we had an offer of say 500k, even maybe 250k, I would think Hughes would let him go.

I admit I was wrong to try and defend Souness for selling Dunn (though due to DD's injury problems it was actually quite a good deal) and the Cole thing was utterly ridiculous, but my opinion of Flitcroft has never been influenced by the big Scot.

Its alright Bryan - shes right about the dickless wonder - Kids dont drink then stand near mangles whilst naked - it'll end in tears

Or scythe the fields at a naturist park ... yoweee!

You are a wonder nobbing all those birds whilst being dickless. wink.gif

Its alright Bryan - shes right about the dickless wonder - Kids dont drink then stand near mangles whilst naked - it'll end in tears

Or scythe the fields at a naturist park ... yoweee!

You are a wonder nobbing all those birds whilst being dickless. wink.gif

huh.gif

from what I have seen of the second team, no one is pushing for the first team.

I would love to see some youth players pushing for a first team places, but there have to be ready for it and as yet there are not.

so its time to push on and get as hogh as we can biggrin.gif

He does a job and does it well for the most part. He's not brilliant but he's good enough and Hughes obviously agrees as he's played quite a few games recently.

Or, Hughes has played him because he has few other alternatives.

I side with those who think Flitcroft has been poor this season and the year before. His strength was his ability to get about the pitch but age has reduced his ability to do that.

Of late he hasn't looked as bad because he has the support of three midfielders in 4-5-1 but it still doesn't stop the game going on around him with his contribution being minimal.

The Tugay - Flitcroft midfield duet had their heyday when we finished sixth. It's been downhill since.

from what I have seen of the second team, no one is pushing for the first team.

I would love to see some youth players pushing for a first team places, but there have to be ready for it and as yet there are not.

so its time to push on and get as hogh as we can biggrin.gif

I agree Des, the only youngster that I believe has any chance of imminent involvement is Gary Harkins - he is a centre half though..... I dont fancy dropping either Nelsen or Toddy (especially Nelsen given his likely work permit issues next season!)

It would be a baptism of fire against SWP. Reminds me of Rob Jones signing for Liverpool and having to mark Giggs. We'd certainly see what he's made of, and that probably isn't a bad thing.

All this slating of Flitty is hacking me off. it seems like the band wagon can't slate Neill or Matteo or Amo much at the mo so Flitty's up for a slating. I have to admit he is not as good as he once was, that age is catching up with him, and in Moko Sav and Reid we have a heck of a good engine 'room.' But then this position requires a lot of energy and as players get older they loose some of their stamina so its understandable.

However that does not mean that Flitty hasn't and still doesn't contribute. At this level you CANNOT CARRY PLAYERS. Most seasons Flitty has been with us he has played a stunningly important part. Indeed under Souness in promotion to 6th place Flitty was vital in disrupting the opposition's midfield and allowing Tugs, Dunny and Duff to do their stuff; not very glamerous but neccessary. And last season when we somehow stayed up - correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Flitty part of the settled team that kept us up. I can assure you in a team as shocking as last season we couldn't have carried any players.

This season again he's not been a regular choice but when he's played he has done a job. Ok he is slowing down and not as effective as he once was, but he's still doing a good job and contributed greatly to the defensive solidity that we have in the team. And Flitty does make runs into the box; he always has and still does. I can remember several times in recent games when he did so. Mostly however he doesn't get passed to with these runs and thus they often go unnoticed and unappreciated.

IMO Matteo seems to be getting the hang of the lb slot so shouldn't loose his place, especially to Taylor who isn't good enough. In fact none of the reserves are quite ready for Premiership, except perhaps Jemal, but I wouldn't play him as a lone striker.

Has anyone else noticed we seem to be getting results against some of the lower teams, which is the opposite of what happened with Souness, whereby we would be challanging the Man U/ Arsenals, but getting beat at home to Fulham.

Not only are we getting better results against these lower teams, but considering the importance we are standing up and being counted for.

Personally im really pleased with the way Hughes has undertaken his job, and also the manner with which he defend our club/ is proud of his achievements with us etc etc

Some shrewd new signings and away we go!

Edited by youandwhosearmy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.