BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Baggies 1 - 1 Rovers

Out of the 4 almost doomed teams I would prefer WBA to survive. Solid base of 'proper' fans and nearest to home.

Failing that....

Norwich second choice, whilst Palace are obviously a London based team and Soton have Rupert Lowe and an aire of superiority about them that will be best cured by a spell in the lower div(s).

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was qite disappointed with this result, because I felt that it was a game that we should have won. It certainly seems, that on the balance of play, that we had the better of it and could have won it. A win would also have moved us further away from Birmingham, whom desperate to finish higher than.

Sorry this is off topic but whilst looking for the Prem table I spotted these two articles.

This is funny..........two pieces of news from Sky Sports. (and we even get a mention too) rover.gif.............

"Magpies anger at Bellamy abuse

by Tom Adams -

Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd has emphatically ruled out a summer return to the club for Craig Bellamy after the temperamental striker insulted club captain Alan Shearer.

Bellamy, currently on loan at Celtic after his January bust-up with boss Graeme Souness, was reported to have sent abusive text messages to both Shearer and Shepherd's son Kenneth.

The Newcastle supremo has now declared that the Welsh forward will never return to St James' Park, and warned that he chose to attack the wrong man in the shape of club icon Shearer.

The text messages provoked an angry reaction from the man set to eclipse Jackie Milburn's all-time goal-scoring tally for The Magpies, and have further alienated Bellamy from the Newcastle setup.

"It's true that messages were received from Bellamy's phone - but he got more than he bargained for from Alan Shearer," Shepherd told the Daily Express.

"The text he sent to Kenneth was mildly upsetting but what he said to Shearer was insulting.

"It was along the lines that he was past it and his legs had gone and that he was going to come back here from Celtic.

"I can tell you there is no chance of that. Bellamy has taken on a hero in Alan and there is only one winner of that one. And it is not Bellamy.

"Alan might have thought twice about firing off a reply but he was obviously so riled he reacted. He told Bellamy he would knock his block off if he ever set foot back in Newcastle."

Bellamy's future has been the subject of constant speculation during his productive loan spell north of the border, with Blackburn, Celtic and Bayern Munich all eyeing a summer move for the former Coventry man."

AND THIS

"Souey wants Dyer stay

by Alex Livie

Newcastle UnitedNewcastle boss Graeme Souness has revealed that he plans to shape his team around England international Kieron Dyer.

Dyer is approaching the final year of his contract and has yet to agree fresh terms with the club, which has heightened speculation that he could be sold in the summer.

Souness claims the player's contractual situation is down to chairman Freddy Shepherd, but admits he aims to persuade the midfielder to stay by bringing in the players to enable him to flourish in the final third.

"I can't go down the line of saying he's staying, but I like Kieron Dyer," said Souness.

"A new contract? That's not my department. When it comes to contracts I can tell the chairman who I want to keep, but sorting it out is not my department.

"If we can bring in the players we want in the summer, we will play a system that suits him down to the ground.

"Kieron is always someone I have admired and people are telling me he's playing the best football of his career.

"The obvious criticism of Kieron is that he has not got enough goals as a forward midfield player. I don't see him as a ball-winning midfielder, but someone who can get into the last third of the pitch. He looks dangerous there."

A player who also seems to have a future at St James' Park is Robbie Elliott, with Souness saying he will play a key role next term.

The defender is out of contract in the summer, but the signs are suggesting he will receive a new deal.

"He will be an important player in our dressing room next season," said Souness."

My opinion for what its worth is........

1. that Newcastle have fallen into the trap of letting Shearer get too big for his boots.

2. Shepherd is a fat fool for not being shrewd enough to divert AS from running the show up there.

3. In football matters they are throwing the baby out with the bath water in keeping Dyer and Shearer who both appear to only be playing for themselves at the expense of team players Bellamy and Bowyer! A good and strong manager could get those two to play devastating stuff.

4. Dunno what AS is getting all shirty about with Bellamys txt ......... he's still been worth his place to the mags but its obvious to all that his legs went years ago after his ankle injury at Everton.

wonder where GS is? He Hardly rates a mention. wink.gif

Hey ho! Happy days.

Edited by thenodrog

with another good yet goalless performance from Steadinho (who I think may bust into tears after the next great save or intervention from the woodwork thwarting him!!)

By reading some posts it looks like I was nearly correct!!!

When's this lad's luck going to change??

Listened to the first half on the radio .. sounded dire after a decent start. Steve Froggatt on 5 live defending our style of play in the early part of the game, saying we compete very well etc. then decided to change his mind about us in the half time analysis.

I didn't listen to the second half and watched it instead (on teletext!!) in an effort to change our luck a bit.

God to see emo on the scoresheet ... and by all accounts we could have won it too!!

Roll on Brum and the Robbie Savage show!!

Oberservations from attending the game yesterday.

I expected a rip-roaring atmosphere, but it never arrived. It was evident from the off fans, players, everybody was nervous. I'm glad we are out of it.

First half was poor. Stead was unlucky not to score and a flash of brilliance from Richardson was the difference. If that boy is available next season on loan we should snap him up. Neill had a shocker 1st half.

Second half, once Tugay was introduced to the game we bossed it. There's no doubt we were the better team 2nd half.

Savage played better, although he couldn't play much worse than his last two games.

Stead was brilliant, I just hope he knocks a goal in before the end of the season.

MGP is tired, I would bench him on Saturday and start Thommo. He needs games if he is going to attempt to regain that form he showed pre-injury.

Finally, well done to all the fans that made the trip.

Edited by Martin

Have to say, I really enjoyed last nights game - the fans that had managed to get to the game were loud and good humoured. The game itself was one of the most enjoyable ive been to as a fan for a while. 1st half - Nelsen gave away a stupid free kick and we were punished, Emerton and Neill were useles, Reid was average and Pederson was keen. Savage I have to say was very good, Axe broke up the Baggies fairly well. Stead ran his heart out, I still cant understand how it didnt go in. Pederson's free kicks were woefull, leave em to Savage mate. 2nd half and a downpour - Steve Bennett begins handing out yellow cards for tackles that wouldnt get a freekick 1st half - I think because he wanted to protect the players from injury from an "over enthusiastic/lethal" sliding tackle, once the rain stopped, so did the cards - good reffing - Rovers were still a bit flat however probing runs from Pederson and some runs and then run backs from Emerton did show a glimmer of hope. Enter the Turkish delight. I hold my hands up - i thought tugs was past it - dear god he ran the show, popping passes like a couple of seasons ago - Baggies gave him space and god did he punish them. All of a sudden Rovers were a different team spreading play from flank to flank - Pederson who was realling irritating me at this point with his crap passing/crossing tehn proves me wrong by hitting a sweet low cross that Stead "dummied" (compleatly missed) and drew the defenders to him, leaving Emerton to control and hit a sweet shot past Hoult into the top corner of the net. Cue celebrations from the Rovers fans. I still think Emerton tried to cross the ball and miss hit it as that was too good a shot for him to have actually meant it wink.gif. With a visibly more confident rovers playing as well as I've seen this season I still cant believe that we didnt get a second. Gally came on for a visibly tiring Savage, rovers went to a 4-4-2 and then the Ref blew for FT.

MoM - Stead for his tireless running or Tugay for his match winning contribution

other points - Emerton was bloody irritating as usual, good goal though, Neil was a liability but Matteo was very impressive at left back - seriously, defensively he's great passing wise and offensively not the best, but as a defender he was very good. Baggies should have had a penalty for Todd rugby tackling campbell in the box

Baggies should have had a penalty for Todd rugby tackling campbell in the box

What, that angelic Mr Todd? Never. wink.gif

I am a bit concerned about what we're going to do when Tugay isn't around - his contract expires this summer doesn't it?

Loath him or loathe him very much, Barry Ferguson could get the ball down and bring a bit of poise and passing football to our midfield. Savage isn't that type, nor are Reid or Mokoena.

Baggies should have had a penalty for Todd rugby tackling campbell in the box

What, that angelic Mr Todd? Never. wink.gif

I am a bit concerned about what we're going to do when Tugay isn't around - his contract expires this summer doesn't it?

Loath him or loathe him very much, Barry Ferguson could get the ball down and bring a bit of poise and passing football to our midfield. Savage isn't that type, nor are Reid or Mokoena.

I agree. We certainly need a ball-playing midfielder to come in over the summer. I'm not sure where Reid is going to fit in next season - his energy and running is excellent but he doesn't control a midfield. There are better tacklers and better passers, so I'm not sure whether there'll be a place for "enthusiasm" next season.

Pedersen's all-round game isn't the best (especially his first touch - attrocious), but he isn't as bad as people are making out. I just think he's looking tired. The players have been very committed and they've fought so hard to get us out of the mire that it's perfectly understandable that they're looking a little jaded.

I think a common misconception is that a new striker will solve everything. It only will if we get somebody to dictate the midfield and create chances.

The sooner we get 2 full backs who can pass the better. Neill has had about 3 good games this season…. However, he has had 3 poor YEARS!! I’d rather we play a 17 year old from the academy for the remaining games. He is clueless!!!

Emerton is one of the most frustrating players I have ever seen – instead of using his pace and strength he continuously passes it backwards and cuts inside or goes right to the wing – basically ANYTHING to avoid taking the opposing full back on. Frustrating!!!

Stead worked hard – cant really expect too much from a lone striker, 20 years old against a relegation-threatened side battling for their lives away from home. Mokoena was dire, Savage played well last night – kept hold of ball fairly well.

Edited by SuperStella

I think a common misconception is that a new striker will solve everything. It only will if we get somebody to dictate the midfield and create chances.

Ive heard that Barry ferguson up at Rangers can pass a bit, im sure hes wanting to prove hes better than that Sunday Pub League

huh.gif

wink.gif

The sooner we get 2 full backs who can pass the better. Neill has had about 3 good games this season…. However, he has had 3 poor YEARS!! I’d rather we play a 17 year old from the academy for the remaining games. He is clueless!!!

Emerton is one of the most frustrating players I have ever seen – instead of using his pace and strength he continuously passes it backwards and cuts inside or goes right to the wing – basically ANYTHING to avoid taking the opposing full back on. Frustrating!!!

Stead worked hard – cant really expect too much from a lone striker, 20 years old against a relegation-threatened side battling for their lives away from home. Mokoena was dire, Savage played well last night – kept hold of ball fairly well.

3 poor years? The first season he was here he was the best right back in the Premiership and was a great player.

Recently he has been part of the best defense in the Premiership other than Chelsea and is playing well, especially last night. He is simply the scapegoat, you lot need to find someone else as you are really picking on the wrong man.

And what on earth did he do last night? F***K ALL !!

I thought he was decent enough last night. Certainly not our worst player. Also, as of late, he's been one of our better players and it looks like he's gaining more and more confidence.

As a side question, what 5-letter word begins in "F", ends in "K" and needs censoring?

MoM - Stead for his tireless running or Tugay for his match winning contribution

Match winning? blink.gif

he came on and changed the game for us - its him who I am holding up for the man who allowed us to win

I thought Savage can't play against Brum next week because of an agreement when he moved to us. But some people seem to think he can play. unsure.gifblink.gif ?????

He can play.

I believe it is not possible to impose such a restriction on a contract of employment. Unless by mutual consent, needless to say, we didnt consent.

A good laugh last night and a very relaxed atmosphere from the Rovers fans. This was in direct contrast to the nervous, tense often quiet bagges fans and makes me VERY thank-ful that we are long clear of the drop zone. Our fans didnt care on the result, just wanted to have a sing song biggrin.gif !

I thought that the 1-1 was the fair result. Savage was the best player on the park in the first half but wasnt as good in the 2nd, more kept the game ticking over whilst we were camped in their half. Wba defended too deep after their goal and we did look like getting a goal which is unlike us of course. Stead MUST be the unluckist man in football hitting the post again. Chaplow got lots of well deserved stick laugh.gif Nice goal from Emerton, very good finish where we ripped them apart tho it wasnt 1 of his best games.

I hope we can return next yr to West Brom as id like to see them stay up. Its tough for them but they can still do it.

Finally, all i have left to say is 'get those tickets sold for B'ham, as we're gonna need the best suport possible in what will be a hot reception for Savage'. There was about 1200 fans at WBA and they were excellent, same again on sat please.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.