BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Baggies 1 - 1 Rovers

So Tuesday's game comes around with rovers virtually safe - Id like a few more points to make sure - and play one of the form teams of the league. West Bromwich Albion, from the Black Country in the West Midlands.

I work with a number of West Brom fans and I dont want them to get relegated so I am torn at the moment - however just for bragging rights I hope we stuff them, but there goes my promotion sad.gif.

Under Brian "Deepest Voice in Footall" Robson the Baggies after a shaky start have become very hard to beat and play an attractive flowing attacking game of football with Gera and Richardosn running the midfield with ex Man U "looks like a right pikey" Greening adding craft and guile. With Kanu, Earnshaw, Campbell and Horsefield up front they also have a strikeforce that can score goals, with Robson playing Campbell and Horsefield up front with Earnshaw or Kanu as sub. In fact Kanu at the corresponding fixture at teh start of the season was teh best player on the pitch by far, luckily none of the Baggies players knew what he was going to do, so we escaped with a 1-1 draw.

They need to win this game a lot more than we do so im going for a 2-1 win to the baggies

Anyway to the questionaire

thanks to Chris at Boing Boing (baggies.com) and

DJ EmmJee from westbrom.com

1) What was expected of the Baggies following a well deserved

promotion? Has it lived up to expectations? How are you playing at the moment?

First half of the season certainly didn't, despite a positive start with a draw away from home against... um... oh yes, you lot. The first time we got promoted, political shenanigans in the Boardroom saw us

unprepared for the season and we struggled all along; this time people

had much higher expectations of us "doing a Charlton" and having a good

go at staying up. But stories still circulated about Board interference

with transfers, wars of words ensued and after a couple of months, many

felt that Megson was unable to make the step up to the top flight

anyway. We were bottom at Christmas and got sick of all hearing all the

cliches that went with it; fortunately Robson took no notice of them and

after a shaky start he and Pearson managed to get the team playing with

a confidence and purpose we haven't seen for a long time and dragged us

out of the bottom three. How are we playing at the moment? Look at the

"current form" table - we were 4th on Wednesday!

I for one didn't have high expectations. I knew we would face a struggle again. I seriously thought we'd be straight back down

2) Gary "Souness" Megson seemed to fall out with the board and the

players, were you surprised that he went when and how he did?

And were you upset or glad?

I'm just amazed it took so long for it to reach breaking point. Well, actually, it did so two years previously and it was Paul Thompson, our

Chairman at the time, who had to choose between sacking a manager who'd just got us promoted to the Premiership and moving aside to let someone else have a go. He chose the second option on the grounds that he'd probably become so unpopular if he chose the first that he'd be hounded out anyway.

The whole Megson situation is still a subject for hot debate amongst

Baggies, and became a bit of a case of "chicken and egg" - the Board

were reluctant to back a manager who they felt might not be able to

achieve what they wanted, but without the backing he was unable to

achieve it.

I was gutted when Meggo legft. I thought it was very unfair of our board, and i know a lot of other people think the same

3) Brian Robson was appointed as manager. Did you cry?

Certainly not. A bit apprehensive, perhaps, but I remembered him as a

player and I remembered what he did for Middlebrough (as, to be fair, do

most of the Boro fans). Plenty of people were less than happy, looking

at his later time at Boro and Bradford, throwing around accusations of

drinking culture, cheque book management and so on. Said people have

been eating a great deal of humble pie in the last few weeks.

YES! every night! and then when we got off to a @#/? start, i thought we'd made a HUGE mistake!

4) Are you like me surprised at how well he has got the team

playing? Or am I a know nothing northern whippet worrier?

Well, you may well be - but anyway... like a lot of Baggies, I've always believed that we have (just) enough quality to stay in the Premiership, but it was being wasted by Megson's negative style and his regular fallouts with players. Ronnie Wallwork is a prime example - rotting in the reserves under Megson, but playing a key role under Robson, who

seems to have the knack of motivating players in a totally different way

to Megson.

I did always think that Robbo would need time to gel with the team, but i didn't think he'd do it so suddenly. In this league anyway

5)What are your thoughts on Rovers so far this season?

Rovers, Safe i think now. should have tried to hold on to Bazza Ferguson (im also a Rangers fan by the way!). Excellent manager, tough team to play, but ur fan base is pathetic! average crowd attendance of what, 5?!

6) Did Arsenal have a point about our approach to the

FA Cup semi or are they a bunch of soft southern shandy

drinking wusses?

If by Southern you mean French, then yes! I suppose they did, a bit, but I really didn't much notice to be honest.

Arsenal are pathetic! we hate them! It doesnt matter HOW u get to the semi's, aslong as u get there! u can never realy say that getting there was fair with all the teams, as non-leaguers sometimes play top teams and vice versa. If u got there, u got there thru winning games and taking opportunities. Which u did, and fair play to ya

7) Who have been your best and worst players this year?

Best is probably Zoltan Gera, a name that drew the response "whooooooo?" to start with but has made everyone sit up and take notice in a big way. Entertaining, lively, and his goal at Spurs on Wednesday was absolute class. Worst? Darren Purse is probably the one that I'd go for; being an ex-Bluenose didn't help his cause and our resurgent form does coincide with him being dropped from the first team. Martin Albrechtsen, signed at the start of the season for a club record hasn't really justified his transfer fee, although he's been very good at times.

Worse player Bernt Haas. Best player Gera for flare, and Greening for consistency

8) Any hot prospects coming up through your academy?

Lloyd Dyer was the one to watch last season, but hasn't figured in thePremiership and is now out at Coventry on loan. There's not a lot else, frankly - but we're playing catch-up in that department; we don't meet the requirements for Academy status yet, though we expect to get there within the next year.

We're looking at improving our scouting.

9) Who do you want (realistically) to sign in the summer?

What positions do you need to strenghen?

I guess it depends where we end up. We're thin up front; Kanu is

probably leaving regardless, Horsfield isn't seen by many as real

premiership quality, Earnshaw has some way to go and Campbell is nearing

the end of his career. Midfield looks more encouraging, and it would be

nice to keep Richardon - but Greening, Gera, Chaplow and Wallwork are

all playing well and Inamoto showed promise in his first appearance on

Wednesday. A proper right back would be another useful acquisition.

We need some more experience in midfield, and maybe another experienced striker like Campbell. Maybe a GK due to Houlty not being in the best of fitness

10) What style of play can we expect from you on Tuesday?

More of the same, I expect. Our approach seems to be "batter them up front for a bit then bring on Earnshaw", coupled with a lot of attacking midfield play - the latter is probably why we're so much better to watch nowadays. Plus the occasional defensive howler just to make things more entertaining.

On Tuesday u are going to face a lot of pace form Midfield, lots of chances been created form deep. Strikeforce i can't speak for as depends who we start. And rest assured, we are going to play our most solid backs

11) Which Rovers player are you most scared of? (Other than Andy Todd)

Now that Hughes has said you're safe from relegation, I'm hoping the

foot gets lifted from the pedal a bit. That said, with you currently

sitting bottom of the form league at the moment just how far down has it

been pressed anyway...? I dont understand that last bit????

None.

12) Any memories from Blackburn v Baggies games that stick in

your mind?

Not that many, to be honest. Our "Men In Black" fancy dress day two years ago probably tops the list!

First time i went to Ewood park. i got ###### and threw up! We lost 1-0 i think

13) Where do you think both teams will finish at the end of

the season?

Well, I think you're looking at around 15th, with us a few points behind in 17th. I hope.

Blackburn above Pompey and Fulham, MAYBE Blues. Albion, 17th

I would just like to wish you the best for avoiding relegation (I hope you lose on Tuesday) and hope the baggies are still in the Prem next season.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that Hughes has said you're safe from relegation, I'm hoping the

foot gets lifted from the pedal a bit. That said, with you currently

sitting bottom of the form league at the moment just how far down has it

been pressed anyway

Huh?

Is he drunk?

tongue.gif

well theyve all been sacked from longbridge.

bless

and also a tad harsh - they say it as they see it. Wrongly, but hey.

Anyone going?

Best way to get to the hawthornes is via the metro from snowhill

okay the next preview you do, do that wink.gif

nah.. no hrd feeling flopsy you didnt do a bad job. its just hard with all the brainwashing. intelligent people do stupid things.

as for doing previews im stuck because im banned from talking to real soccer fans on one site and i live in the states.

Anyone going?

Yeh, me and my mate are going. We are getting the train down to B'ham from Blackburn in the afternoon (missing a coupla of lessons in the process lol from my alevel course). We're going into B'ham New Street, can we walk from there as i really dont wanna bother messing around with metro and that Snow something or other station?

Any idea how many we've sold?

Anyone going?

Yeh, me and my mate are going. We are getting the train down to B'ham from Blackburn in the afternoon (missing a coupla of lessons in the process lol from my alevel course). We're going into B'ham New Street, can we walk from there as i really dont wanna bother messing around with metro and that Snow something or other station?

its a long bloody walk - get the train to new street, walk to Snow hill, get on the Metro, its about 6 miles from New Street Station if you want to walk

tinykit.gif After todays mauling it is pretty certain that Rovers have to navigate the first 20 minutes against this lot.

Rovers have the capability of beating WBA and as they will now be desperate to get 3 points they will be wide open.

Both teams have played a lot of matches recently and will be tired. Whoever scores first wins the game

1-0 Rovers Stead tinykit.gif

Another thing I have noticed is that WBA could find themselves facing a 3 from 4 scenario should Rovers win. On that basis I think they will come hammer and tongue at Rovers leaving themselves wide open ohmy.gif

Wasnt going but if I get 3 persons for a lift from Leyland am happy to provide transport and a chipin for the petrol tinykit.gif

1864, I suspect you are right but I have the feeling a bubble is going to burst in this game.

The Rovers have been doing brilliantly to keep such a tight backline but sooner or later it is going to breached by someone other than Arsenal and the Baggies have the flair players who could bring us crashing down to earth if they are on their game.

On the other hand, the Baggies folded big time at the Riverside once they had conceded the first goal. Rovers have been playing well (except today by all accounts) and deserved bigger winning margins in some of the 1-0s.

Could this be the game we win big?

Enough iffing and butting.

Baggies will go into this game rock bottom, get a dubious penalty (making up for the Duff dive two seasons ago) and will beat us 2-0.

Good preview Flopsy- shame you couldn't find a moment to explain to your Baggy mates who Richard Chaplow was.

Edited by philipl

Anyone going?

its a long bloody walk - get the train to new street, walk to Snow hill, get on the Metro, its about 6 miles from New Street Station if you want to walk

Cheers mate, 6miles that puts walking outa the question. We'll just have to get the metro then, which should be ok. I hope we are gonna have a reasonable following 1000ish??

Could this be the game we win big?

Enough iffing and butting.

Baggies will go into this game rock bottom, get a dubious penalty (making up for the Duff dive two seasons ago) and will beat us 2-0.

always the devils advocent aye. im expecting about anything from this game but probably another darn tie

Turn it around AR- Hughes has really injected steel into the Rovers but Baggies are fighting for their lives and have some more than decent players.

It's got to be at least 50% probability we loose this one.

As a draw will be very little use to the Baggies, especially if Southampton make it a week-end of misery for them by winning at Pompey which I think is very much on the cards, fancy this will be a very open and exciting game.

Is it on TV?

Edited by philipl

Yes its on Canal+, TPS Premier and Sport 2 Hungary. I'm in India next week so hoping to catch the game on TV as most premiership games seem to be on 1 channel or another. Problem is its at 1.15 am and I'm supposed to be working. I suppose there could be a bit more interest in Milan v PSV as well.

Prediction: 0-0 and the same for all other games this season apart from Fulham who we will trounce 4-0. I hope so anyway as I have seen Rovers win only 1 league game at Ewood since the first day of last season. Lucky eh!

Another thing I have noticed is that WBA could find themselves facing a 3 from 4 scenario should Rovers win. On that basis I think they will come hammer and tongue at Rovers leaving themselves wide open ohmy.gif

Yeah, but you're implying that we've got players who can score! laugh.gif

I say 0-0

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.