BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Convicts Return

Timmy

They may well have to but if as seems likely there is another interruption this evening plus a few tomorrow it will be late on tomorrow before they get near our total.  That is obviously ignoring the fact that we take more wickets which given how Harmison was bowling in that over seems likely.

345918[/snapback]

Read much of your posts over the last few pages... truely, it really shows how much you know about cricket!... blink.gif

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its going to be bloody close.

England need

1) Harmison to remember that hes an excellent fast bowler

2) A bit more luck

3) Rain

4) Flintoff

5) Warne to sprain his wrist trying to a fancy trick with his zippo whilst lighting a fag

6) Rain

7) Batsmen to remember how to play forward defensives

I didn't say Marsh hadn't achieved anything but by general consensus Fletcher has been the catalyst  for England's resurgence. 

Don't know what Lillee has got to with anything apart from being a boor.

345523[/snapback]

Nothing to do with Cooley, then?

Edited by Bryan

Assuming a 17.30 start and a full 90 minutes (unlikely), it is improbable that the Australians will have reached the England figure by close of play.

However, it is getting important for England to take wickets now if a rearguard batting performance of heroic proportions is not going to be needed on Monday.

Given the position they are in and the improving forecast for the next two days, I expect the Australians will come in if offered the light this evening.

They've taken the light again.

I heard the following on radio 5 this morning.

Compere at a comedy club: Anyone in the crowd from overseas?

Lady stands up: Yes I'm from Sydney

Compere: Is it too dark for you love, do you want me to get the lights turned on?

smile.gif

Edited by Lee

The Aussies have decided to go off. Looks like the sensible decision for them and as an England fan I'm not too disappointed that they're going to need to bat out a few more sessions to make a defendable target.

Looking ahead to the England innings, I'll repeat that we need at least two centuries in order to last anything more than four sessions. If we can bat out four sessions then there shouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, the situation of the entire match is tailor-made for Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath.

The Aussies will need to bat at least until tea tomorrow before they'll be in a position to declare (I think they'll want a lead of 200+). England will then have to bat for 3 and a half sessions to save the game.

However, any more stoppages makes life more difficult for the Aussies. Also, if England can keep chipping wickets away it'll slow their scoring rate down, and obviously if we can bowl them out before they get their 200+ lead then we'll have a much better chance.

England need to bowl well and keep the scoring rate down, and then they'll have to bat out of their skins to keep Warne at bay.

All 3 results are still possible, but the Aussie win is probably just favourite at the moment.

Weather forecast has changed again- showers for tomorrow and cloud on Monday. The sunny days are now expected to be Tuesday and Wednesday.

Australia still 96 behind on first innings despite having two centurions with just two days left.

Even though its a great track, England have created chances to take wickets. Tomorrow anything in the air has to stick and we'll just have to hope the borderline umpiring decisions go our way. Presumably Australia will have to be more attacking and that should give us more chance to take wickets. Martyn can't let all those Freddie "tempters" whistle outside the off stump if the Aussies want to post a troubling total.

England need to keep the Aussies to a sub 500 total to avoid a major nervous sweat. If we can go into bat with the deficit around 100 or less, the Aussies will both have to defend against runs scored as well as attacking to get the wickets. It will be no good to the Aussies getting England all out late on Monday but needing to score at two runs a minute to retain the Ashes.

Its all going to be about cool heads and watchfulness when England go into bat.

Edited by philipl

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.