BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Poll - Falling Attendances.

Tris

What do you think is the biggest contributing factor in the alarming decrease in our crowds?  

254 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the biggest contributing factor in the alarming decrease in our crowds?

• Overprice tickets
    • Poor standard of entertainment
    • Lack of atmosphere these days
    • Petty stewards
    • No terracing
    • Unable to identify with players these days
    • Too much football on TV

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed - I would rather stick pins in my eyes than watch Lancashire United. The idea is ludicrous. I am sure the fans of Preston, Blackpool and Burnley would think the same. The day they create Lancashire United (although, of course, it will never happen) is the day I quit football.

347286[/snapback]

Four Lane Blue

Agreed - I would rather stick pins in my eyes than watch Lancashire United. The idea is ludicrous. I am sure the fans of Preston, Blackpool and Burnley would think the same. The day they create Lancashire United (although, of course, it will never happen) is the day I quit football.

Claytons Left boot

err scuse me but should you two be even allowed an opinion (rather than a nostagia / homesick fuelled rant on Rovers dwindling support and finances)? I will of course apologise if you are both still season ticket holders and still chucking money into the coffers.

Anyway who thought up the name Lancashire Utd? Sounds like a bus company? rover.gif

FLB the fact (and prob the circumstances) that you are in China suggests to me that the world is changing faster than you yourself can comprehend. The Market forces that sent you there are still at work here you know. It's sink or swim time for everyone in business.

Ok drog. I'll humour you.

Lancashire United:

1) Where would they play?

2) What colours would they play in?

3) Which clubs would they absorb?

4) Would this be a merger of equals or would some clubs get more shares than others?

5) Which season do you propose this would start?

6) Would you simply fire all the lower division players brought into LU?

347295[/snapback]

OK Philip I'll humour you.

Lets go back a century or so............

One professional club in Blackburn and Darwen?

1) Where would they play?

2) What colours would they play in?

3) Which clubs would they absorb?

4) Would this be a merger of equals or would some clubs get more shares than others?

5) Which season do you propose this would start?

6) Would you simply fire all the lower division players brought into LU?

What year do you think they will be English Champions? tongue.gif

or to (mis)quote recent similarly myopic contributions

"I would rather stick pins in my eyes than watch Blackburn Rovers. The idea is ludicrous."

and

"In other words...Blackburn Rovers. Would you support this team? Certainly I wouldn't,"

imo you all need to think things through a bit more before you post. Let the scales fall from thine eyes! rolleyes.gif

Never say Never.

Andy Gray was criticising our support  at Bolton

347161[/snapback]

Thats the ultimate irony! If we all went to the match Gray would be out of a job! The fact that Sky do it so well is why the crowds are turning away. Catch 22.

Pro Footballers really are terminally thick aren't they?

As I expected, you really haven't thought this one through have you?

Your one pro football club in Blackburn and Darwen analogy doesn't work either.

- Blackburn Rovers and Darwen didn't merge

- Darwen still continue drawing 100 hardy souls to the Anchor Ground

- the many clubs in the Blackburn area in the 1870s/80s were amateur,

- Rovers emerged as the dominant force within 20 years of being formed, not created as some conglomerate after 130 years of tradition.

Now, why don't you try to answer the questions?>>

I went to Darwen Grammar and I can tell you that 80% of Darreners support BRFC! With the others supporting Bolton. (MU supporters dont count in any discussion re local support).

The situation that I was really referring to was regarding Blackburn Olympic. How mant supporters of the would have said 'stuff it! If Olymic fold I'm never going to watch t'Rovers'? Yet all their kids did ultimately! Time heals all wounds.

As for your questions, I'll answer in my own order.

A Big Bang theory would not work imo. 2 Clubs would need to start the initiative to work in the long term. BRFC if they can remain strong and one of either PNE / Burnley. Preferably when one gets relegated or goes skint...... the latter would make it much easier incidentally. That would give us the whip hand in any negotiations.

1st move would be to begin a period of entente cordiale. We could loan our surplus squad members and poss share the Brockhall facilities. Our reserves could play as one combined team with their reserves (subject to league approval) at either Deepdale or t'Turf, under the chosen new name (Not LU hopefully) and in the new colours.

Once people get used to the ideas they might just get into the idea of supporting 2 clubs (as it used to be) albeit 1 very much in front of the other.

The above would be simple and would cost nowt only time and a lot of pr and positive spin, but hopefully it would help change entrenched attitudes in order to move onto the next stage toward total integration.

In the meantime Philip I (as I am sure we all would and BRFC too) would welcome YOUR solution to the worsening situation. Continue as we are doing and we will see 4th Div football at a half closed Ewood Park with a supermarket on the car park and Khabbadi on nthe pitch every other week.

And however much you FLB, CLB and SG say you would prefer that to merging with one or more of our neighbours I bet you will all have packed in.

As an aside I find it revealing that it appears that the people with most objections are from away off and never go now! What is it with you guys.. irrational homesickness? Is BRFC really all you have to hang onto in your distant lands? Do dreams of childhood memories long past which distract you from todays reality? Does Ewood hold womblike qualities for you? A psychologist would surely enlighten us.

As an aside I find it revealing that it appears that the people with most objections are from away off and never go now!  What is it with you guys.. irrational homesickness?  Is BRFC really all you have to hang onto in your distant lands?  Do dreams of childhood memories long past which distract you from todays reality?  Does Ewood hold womblike qualities for you?  A psychologist would surely enlighten us.

347335[/snapback]

I probably go to more matches than you and I think you're talking crap. As I've pointed out on many occasions.

Now, Drog, my good Mrs is a Psychologist of many years standing, well respected by her peers and fellow prfessionals, would you like her to tell you why I stay up half the night, spend loads at the rovers shop, in my quest to support the Rovers?

You remember me, Theno, I live the other side of the world. What do you want me to do, stop "supporting" them. Stop following football, perhaps.

When that happens across the world with "fans" like me, the EPL will start to wither and (I was going to say die), but it won't, it will simply be less than the powerhouse that it is now. It's a League that needs world wide support, quite simply it brings money in to support the team that you purport to follow.

Oh, and I went to SMC Blackburn (as there are a few SMC's around England)

Now, if you want an answer from my Mrs, send the English equivalent of $150 for the first hours consultation.

Whilst Rovers were the first to see a decline in attendances, I would imagine Sunderland, Boro and Villa might now be showing the worst relative declines over the past three seasons. I don't have the numbers to hand.

As for the drog's apocryphal vision of 4th Division football at Ewood, that would be possible were the Rovers to be on their own in decline. As it is, all the others seem to be suffering as well.

I suspect, Rovers are better positioned to handle declining attendances and a big drop in Sky revenue than many others. It is probably no coincidence that so many Rovers' players' contracts expire this coming summer.

err scuse me but should you two be even allowed an opinion (rather than a nostagia / homesick fuelled rant on Rovers dwindling support and finances)? I will of course apologise if you are both still season ticket holders and still chucking money into the coffers.

347316[/snapback]

Start apologising now then..................I can't remember when I wasn't a season ticket holder.

I'm having a placard made for you whilst we speak, to be draped over your back for the Newcastle game....."My name is Gordon and I want us to merge with Burnley."

You won't be laughed at, honestly.

Other local clubs like Bumley, Preston, Blackpool, Bury etc.... have already had their kick in the teeth from the TV companies (remember ITV digital, or whatever it was called??) They all got a good & proper shafting! huh.gif

I am starting to fear for clubs like Rovers tinykit.gif because they might be about to have their own kick in the cobblers. Why?....i`ll tell you....

When the contract for SKY sports is up for renewal, they (SKY) hold all the aces.

They can & probably will offer less money for the pot.

No other company will make a bigger bid, because the product is now being seen as 'had its day' (falling gates/interest)

...So we are left with a significantly lower income for all the clubs.The clubs ask the players to take paycuts, the players say "no, they`ve signed a contract for x amount"

....the players bleed the clubs dry.

Premier League clubs who`ve sailed too close to the sun for many years (financially) will soon fall into the trap Leeds did, amounting massive debts & going broke. The only clubs to survive will be the ones who were seen as "tight-fisted & prudent".....Aston Villa? Charlton? Rovers??? (are we in there??)

Ofcourse the big clubs like Man U,Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea will survive......but to play who???

....Alas, welcome to the European league, where the rich get richer & sod the rest!!

It may not happen like that, but i fear something similar will happen sooner rather than later...... unsure.gif

I was reading an article yesterday about the alarming fall in attendances in the Premiership and Football League.

Comparing 34 matches played so far this season and excluding games involving West Ham, Wigan and Sunderland attendances are down by 4.5%.

The biggest fall surprisingly has come at Manchester City who following up a good season last year with another good start have seen a fall of 4,800 on attendances so far. Next come Middlesbrough who have experienced a drop of 3,500. Bolton following UEFA qualification have also seen a drop of over 2,000 per match.

However the Premier League seem to be adopting a typical “bury our heads in the sand” attitude. When asked about the figures a spokesman said: “It’s far too early to draw any firm conclusions, but the Premier League remains one of the best-supported in Europe. Since our first season, in 1992-93, standards across the board have risen and we have witnessed a boom in interest that has seen attendances grow by more than 68 per cent. We’re operating at a very high level and will work very hard to try and sustain it.”

A survey recently suggested that the main reason for the current apathy was that the league had become increasingly predictable. Before a ball is kicked we all know the clubs who will fill the top three places and in all likelihood the three promoted teams will face a hell of a battle to remain in the league. This leaves the rest of us to get enough points quickly to stay out of any potential relegation battle, look for mid-table respectability or European qualification. And the clubs expect us to pay top dollar to watch it at strange kick off times decided by TV.

Wake up.

Continue as we are doing and we will see 4th Div football at a half closed Ewood Park with a supermarket on the car park and Khabbadi on nthe pitch every other week.

347335[/snapback]

To be honest Khabbadi would be much more fun and entertaining to watch than Rovers vs Bolton was last weekend

I think this is the wrong forum to be bashing BRFC supporters, as the ones who take the time to post and read the posts on this site are more likely to be dedicated fans and thus go to a few games a year.

The problem with Blackburn is simple, there just isn't enough supporters to fill the stadium game after game. I'm sure a good percentage of the fans go to at least one or two games a year, and i don't consider non-season ticket holders to be 'part-time' fans. Football has become expensive, catching a few games a year is sometimes all that is fesable.

Having said that, I dont' live in England so I'll be the first to admit that I might be full of it. Furthermore, I was going to comment on their marketing schemes but then again I also don't know. To sell out crowds you need hype, I thought Bellamy was going to provide that but I was wrong.

"the odious Peter Kenyon"

If ever four words were meant to go together!

This guy personifies all that has gone wrong with football at the moment, andthe sooner we get rid of him and his ilk the better. mad.gif

347310[/snapback]

Despite many clubs allowing disabled supporters on free, and despite empty seats on Tuesday night Peter Kenyon's Chelsea have more than doubled prices for the disabled from £21 to £48+!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390...5430106,00.html

Yet another reason for a total boycott of Stamford Bridge this season! What a message that would give out.

ps (You'd better tell Pittard and Birdy b4 they get their tickets waggy! smile.gif )

I probably go to more matches than you and I think you're talking crap.  As I've pointed out on many occasions.

347338[/snapback]

Thats a strange choice to quote, it doesn't match your rude (as usual) reposte. blink.gif

Anyway, and for what its worth if you bothered to study the replies of the poll above you would have to admit that merging could have a positive influence on 80% of the objections voted for.

Makes you think eh Scotty? huh.gif

Then again it'd take more than the honest opinions of most of the regular members on here to achieve that particular feat wouldn't it? tongue.gif

Edited by thenodrog

Thats a strange choice to quote, it doesn't match your rude (as usual) reposte.  blink.gif

Anyway, and for what its worth if you bothered to study the replies of the poll above you would have to admit that merging could have a positive influence on 80% of the objections voted for.

Makes you think eh Scotty?  huh.gif

Then again it'd take more than the honest opinions of most of the regular members on here to achieve that particular feat wouldn't it?  tongue.gif

347410[/snapback]

It's a bloody stupid idea and you just look stupid bringing it up again and again. If anyone isn't thinking on here it's you. Why don't you just face the fact that no-one agrees with you and that it wouldn't work?

EVERY single premiership club has suffered in attendances.

Rovers are not alone. manure,chelsea,arsenal,city,brum,sunderland,barcodes etc etc.

Football has hit bursting point and something will have to give.

Its plain and simple, they either cut it or many clubs will go out of business. For those who survive then its the birth of the European League.

The survivors, chelsea,manure,liverpool and arsenal.

hangers on possibly everton and city

the rest of the clubs will be forced into a retreat, the rebirth of the football league with 3 divisions and a 4th division of 2 seperate leagues encompassing the non league clubs.

SKY will see the result of their investment when they are ruined by the latest efforts to rid them of their monopoly on football.

Football will face only one option. A complete regeneration of the beautiful game. sad.gif

It's a bloody stupid idea and you just look stupid bringing it up again and again.  If anyone isn't thinking on here it's you. Why don't you just face the fact that no-one agrees with you and that it wouldn't work?

347411[/snapback]

methinks he doth protest too much...... wink.gif

oh btw scotty that bits Shakespeare

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.