BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Poll - Falling Attendances.

Tris

What do you think is the biggest contributing factor in the alarming decrease in our crowds?  

254 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the biggest contributing factor in the alarming decrease in our crowds?

• Overprice tickets
    • Poor standard of entertainment
    • Lack of atmosphere these days
    • Petty stewards
    • No terracing
    • Unable to identify with players these days
    • Too much football on TV

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We’re operating at a very high level and will work very hard to try and sustain it.”

347373[/snapback]

Yes, that's right Mr Premier league spokesperson, what you really mean to say you slimy b'stard is that.....

'we will continue to fleece the supporter with ridiculous ticket prices to try and sustain it'

ON YOUR BIKE!!!! mad.gif

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

It's a bloody stupid idea and you just look stupid bringing it up again and again.  If anyone isn't thinking on here it's you. Why don't you just face the fact that no-one agrees with you and that it wouldn't work?

347411[/snapback]

Slightly unfair , Scotty - at least the Drog is putting forward a suggestion to problems that will decimate the likes of Rovers in the coming decades .

Having said that , I would under no circumstances follow a Lancashire Utd - the tradition simply isn't there for people of my generation . Whether succeeding generations find the idea appealing is a different matter - remember we are talking in terms of decades .

Disregarding the commercial aspects that are affecting the game the sad and unavoidable truth is that in the next 30 years or so demographic factors alone will mean clubs like Burnley , Blackburn , Bury , Oldham , Preston etc etc will either have to attract Asian fans from within or "indigenous" fans from way beyond the areas where the current grounds stand . (Or both) . I can't see either happening .

Personally I'll be surprised if the Rovers exist in 50 years time - not that it will matter to me ......

Funny how Im mentioned just as Im about to post. If Jack was still here people wouldn't be talking about dropping 3 or 4 divisions. Thought you were all happy with our trust fund? Dosen't sound like the clubs safe in their hands with all the doom prophets on here.

Funny how Im mentioned just as Im about to post. If Jack was still here people wouldn't be talking about dropping 3 or 4 divisions. Thought you were all happy with our trust fund? Dosen't sound like the clubs safe in their hands with all the doom prophets on here.

347444[/snapback]

Football in general mr broken record. Football in general. But with your little one subject posting you dont seem to see that.

347444[/snapback]

did we not get relegated while Jack was here?

347444[/snapback]

Vinjay for Senate.

See Hamburg managed to pull in 43,000 for a UEFA Cup 1st Rnd 1st leg tie.

Someone's bucking the trend.

Wonder how they did it?  dry.gif

347449[/snapback]

thats because the German league is the best supported in Europe. Every ground is sold out week-in week-out.

Reason- REALLY REALLY REALLY CHEAP TICKETS

A lot depends on how you collate the figures. The Premier League prefers to cite occupancy rates, pointing out that its clubs operated at 94.2 per cent of capacity last season, compared with 82 per cent in Germany and 70 per cent in Spain. On average, Italian grounds were a little more than half full, with the Coca-Cola Championship boasting a higher aggregate gate than Serie A last season.

However as well as Premier League attendances being lower The Championship are struggling even more. So far this season gates are down over 7%.

Despite many clubs allowing disabled supporters on free, and despite empty seats on Tuesday night Peter Kenyon's Chelsea have more than doubled prices for the disabled from £21 to £48+!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390...5430106,00.html

Yet another reason for a total boycott of Stamford Bridge this season!  What a

347408[/snapback]

I thumbed through someone else's copy on the train (no, really) and apparently Rovers are one of 6 or so clubs that charge supporters full whack, which is no more than what Chelskov are doing.

Whether this is true or not, and whether it's right or not I don't know, but I'm not surprised with our attendances!

I think football may well end up disappearing up its own bum.

It's like a Mexican stand-off, no-one wants to break the illusory scenario that the financial fantasyland they inhabit is profitable, it's like an involuntary cartel, arranging to pay parasites and footballers far beyond their worth from an ever-shrinking pot of money.

There was something in the 'paper this week about a very big blot on the horizon ... the EU may force Sky to only show 50% of live fixtures as it has a monopoly. Result? Man Utd etc auction their own rights off individually, Blackburn et al see a big reduction in their TV revenues (will anyone actually bother showing their games), and suddenly an even-bigger hole appears in the finances. With players on lucrative contracts which must either be honoured or paid-up, how the hell does the hole get plugged as expenditure will stay the same?

Or will Rovers attract gates of 5,000 paying £100 each?

Slightly unfair , Scotty - at least the Drog is putting forward a suggestion to problems that will decimate the likes of Rovers in the coming decades .

347438[/snapback]

You may well say it's harsh Phil but in fairness most people can see it's not. I am one who is firmly peeeed off with the state of the game. The thought of Lancs United is just laughable and frankly ridiculous, it would turn away far more than it would attract. It's ignoring all the factors that are causing a decline in support of the game at present. In fact it's probably everything that is wrong with the game all rolled into one.

I thumbed through someone else's copy on the train (no, really) and apparently Rovers are one of 6 or so clubs that charge supporters full whack, which is no more than what Chelskov are doing.

Whether this is true or not, and whether it's right or not I don't know, but I'm not surprised with our attendances!

347463[/snapback]

That's a slightly unfair example Bryan, the 26 quid Rovers charge is for the disabled person and a carer so their tickets work out at 13 quid each.

I do think everyone is overdoing the doomsday scenario somewhat. Attendances have been gradually increasing over the last 10 years or so and it stood to reason that this couldn't go on indefinitely combined with increased ticket prices and TV exposure.

If and when TV money is reduced Clubs and players will have to be more realistic with wages. No bad thing. And ticket prices may have to be reduced in the long run. Again no bad thing.

Rovers do face a major problem in terms of attracting the support of the local Asian population as mentioned by CLB. But that's a separate issue.

That's a slightly unfair example Bryan, the 26 quid Rovers charge is for the disabled person and a carer so their tickets work out at 13 quid each.

I do think everyone is overdoing the doomsday scenario somewhat. Attendances have been gradually increasing over the last 10 years or so  and it stood to reason that this couldn't go on indefinitely combined with increased ticket prices and TV exposure.

If and when TV money is reduced Clubs and players will have to be more realistic with wages. No bad thing.  And ticket prices may have to be reduced in the long run. Again no bad thing.

Rovers do face a major problem in terms of attracting the support of the local Asian population as mentioned by CLB. But that's a separate issue.

347491[/snapback]

I wasn't making a judgement on it, was just mentioning that it didn't surprise me, we have so few people attending that we can't afford to let some peple in for free. From what I was reading it seems carers get in free at most clubs, and at some clubs they let disabled fans in for nothing as well.

Without wishing to pore over the figures, if attendances have been gradually increasing and this couldn't be sustained, then surely the figures would plateau, given that TV exposure is fairly constant and ticket prices not increasing *that* much? In any case, can you say for definite that there's been a gradual increase, and that this is now being met with a gradual decrease?

My bet is that attendances showed a sudden jump in the early 'nineties as football became cool again (SKY TV/ Italia '90/ Premiership), and we're now possibly seeing a corresponding fall. The problem is that contracts are a commitment and you can't just tell employees: "revenues are falling, so we're lowering wages", it don't work like that.

What comes after a boom?

A lot depends on how you collate the figures. ..................

However as well as Premier League attendances being lower The Championship are struggling even more.  So far this season gates are down over 7%.

347458[/snapback]

Are those figures taking into account any promotion/relegation influence? The fact that 2nd div (old git) have lost Sunderland and West Ham's home gates would surely have some negative effect.

It's a bloody stupid idea and you just look stupid bringing it up again and again.  If anyone isn't thinking on here it's you. Why don't you just face the fact that no-one agrees with you and that it wouldn't work?

347411[/snapback]

Trouble is, he's becoming as repetitive and tiresome as Vinjay.

347442[/snapback]

You may well say it's harsh Phil but in fairness most people can see it's not.  I am one who is firmly peeeed off with the state of the game.  The thought of Lancs United is just laughable and frankly ridiculous, it would turn away far more than it would attract.  It's ignoring all the factors that are causing a decline in support of the game at present.  In fact it's probably everything that is wrong with the game all rolled into one.

347468[/snapback]

Right I gave my opinions and got ripped for them. Well OK but at least I've had a go at providing a way forward and not sat around acting gormless, with my finger up my own arsse criticising others whilst waiting for somebody else to suggest solutions.

I even asked the 'learned' Philip to come up with an alternative solution to the problems now and in the future facing BRFC's attendances and viability in staying a top level club and the silence as they say is deafening (as we all probably suspected it would be).

So now I'll pass the question over to you 3 smart arses.

You are obviously all soooo intelligent that it should be a doddle for you. Or could it be that you have no experience whatsoever in a business environment and have never been required to make a major decision in your naturals? withstupid.gif

If I may quote Tashor........."Good luck to you - but I hope you remove your myopic glasses for long enough to ensure that you are not merely the musicians playing the dirge at our premiership funeral."

Anyway off you go guys. Give us all the benefit of your combined intelligence and experience. We're all waiting with bated breath..........

..............Otherwise shut the ###### up!

Edited by thenodrog

347411[/snapback]

laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

347435[/snapback]

Oh that reminds me.......... Hows BRISA coming along? Is this going to be our future salvation?

Strange how Scotty made himself look a stupid and churlish tawt somewhere on here by having a right old go at me (quite wrongly as it happens btw) by saying all I did was criticise other people!

Obviously you've not got a mirror at your house have you Scotty? tongue.giflaugh.gif

Anyway off you go guys. Give us all the benefit of your combined intelligence and experience. We're all waiting with bated breath..........

..............Otherwise shut the ###### up!

347520[/snapback]

If you can't take a even a slight amount of criticism about your 'saviour' for the game and can't refute the points then I would suggest you give up because you clearly can't have thought things through properly. You are the only person I have ever read come up with Lancs United so why everyone is waiting with baited breath I don't know. There are hundreds of suggestions on this thread of how to save the game, not one as daft as yours however. You should try reading other peoples posts for once and take the blinkers off.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.