BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bolton 0 - 0 Rovers

Scotty

at the end of the day its a point and a clean sheet!!

#### game and maybe should of won it after the second half performance!!

2 new signings looked quality.

well pleased for jansen starting dragged the defenders all over the place but had no support at all!!

bring on the barcodes, 3 points and souness fired thumbs-up.gif  biggrin.gif  rover.gif

346375[/snapback]

maybe was u who said it!! bellamy hatrick wow wowowowow

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A pretty dissatisfying match in many ways but a point is a point, and against Bolton away from home that isn't a bad result.

The first half was woeful, and Rovers need to improve on that, another performance like that and against a better team we'd get punished. Fortunately Bolton were equally poor, though Campo should have scored late on in the first half from a corner (which would have really left us in trouble.)

Second half was more frustraiting then anything else, as Rovers hinted though never really got hold of the game as they promised to do. The substitutions were the catalyst, and I think Hughes erred in his team selection. I'm chuffed that matty is in the first team picture but playing him on his own up front against bolton was never likely to work. With Rovers hoofing it long all the time, the slim chance of him getting anything became nil.

This game was crying out for Kuqi or Dickov to start, to ruffle a few feathers and to be fair the former did when he came on. Sadly that's all he did, as a lack of technique/that but of extra quality that was just missing, meant the difference between sometimes threatening and downright dangerous. One time which typified this was when the ball was played towards the Bolton left back area, Kuqi outmusled the defender in getting the ball, and then promptly lost it when he had a clear run down the wing through lack of control. If Hughes can improve his technique and touch we have the bargain of the season on our hands, if not we've got another Ashely Ward.

IMO Dickov should have risen in the pecking order, after this. The chap has far better ball control then Kuqi, is equal in terms of harrying the opposition, although is going to win less headers. If Dickov was guarenteed not to spend so much time winging on his arse he'd be my number two guarenteed striker.

Tactically I also thought Hughes had erred in taking off Pederson instead of the anonymous Emerton. This did have a negative effect on the team in terms of set pieces (more on this later) but Emerton then began to show his quality, and impressed in the latter stages of the game. One of the big positives is that the indications are that Emerton might provide adequate cover on the left should Morten get injured.

Kish-thingy had a fairly quiet debute the jury's till out on this one IMO. His centre back partner Nelsen was awesome - we'll be lucky to keep hold of him, this chap is one of the top few centre backs in the country. On many a time he covered for one player or another, and I wonder to what extent this convered up for or overshaddowed Zurab's performance.  Either way Nelsen is a legend in the making.

Another gripe is Savage, another stupid booking - the daftest yet - and his free kicks and corners were shocking. Every single one went sailing over evveryone's heads. His passing in play wasn't exactly telling either, but it was the wasted set pieces which annoyed me most. If MGP's not on the pitch, Emerton should be dealing with them, I was very disappointed with our 'star' midfielder. The other two central midfielders had quiet games, although neither performance was poor.

Bentley drifted in and out of the game, which was understandable considering he hasn't seen much 1st team football recently. But when he was in the game he made a heck of a difference. Maybe he's the attacking midfielder we've been after to solve our problems, and though it's too early to say the first signs are very promising.

Overall a frustrating game, a dire first half with Rovers edging the second. Rovers cannot feel too agrieved about not winning though as despite having the edge never really took the game by the scruff of the neck and dominatea, as they hinted at and had opportunity to do.

346523[/snapback]

if u say the 2nd half was frustrating, i hope u mean cos we didnt score to win it!! cos 2nd half when we made subs, IMO we were awesome, MGP or not!!!

First hour was appalling football. However, with Bentley especially and Kuqi, and when Bellamy is fit and playing in a 4 4 2, we could be in for a treat.

If we get a couple of good results starting with the Toon (will Bellamy be fit ?)before we hit that difficult run of fixtures we will be top 6 at Christmas.

Ever the optimist

This game was crying out for Kuqi or Dickov to start, to ruffle a few feathers and to be fair the former did when he came on. Sadly that's all he did, as a lack of technique/that but of extra quality that was just missing, meant the difference between sometimes threatening and downright dangerous. One time which typified this was when the ball was played towards the Bolton left back area, Kuqi outmusled the defender in getting the ball, and then promptly lost it when he had a clear run down the wing through lack of control. If Hughes can improve his technique and touch we have the bargain of the season on our hands, if not we've got another Ashely Ward.

346523[/snapback]

All of which was about 100 times more than Matt "can do no wrong in some folks eyes" Jansen did in twice the amount of time. I find it bewildering how people on here can defend Jansen yet criticise Kuqi. He had a definate impact.

As for the game, I thought we did well, I was not expecting to come away with anything. More teams will come away from the Reebox empty handed than not. The game plan was well executed to suit a stifling Bolton team. As for entertainment well I don't recall seeing an entertaining game with Bolton featuring for quite sometime. We did what we had to do IMHO and we did try to snatch the game, but let's not forget Bolton close you down quickly, it's not easy to play against them, ALL the top teams had trouble with Bolton last year, why not us?

Edited by USABlue

Anyway, going back to the Bolton game. They don't want you to play and they don't want to play themselves. You take the result and move on, simple as that.

Hopefully next week we have B and B up front. Now that's something to look forward to.

All of which was about 100 times more than Matt "can do no wrong in some folks eyes" Jansen did in twice the amount of time.  I find it bewildering how people on here can defend Jansen yet criticise Kuqi.  He had a definate impact.

As for the game, I thought we did well, I was not expecting to come away with anything.  More teams will come away from the Reebox empty handed than not.  The game plan was well executed to suit a stifling Bolton team.  As for entertainment well I don't recall seeing an entertaining game with Bolton featuring for quite sometime.  We did what we had to do IMHO and we did try to snatch the game, but let's not forget Bolton close you down quickly, it's not easy to play against them, ALL the top teams had trouble with Bolton last year, why not us?

346709[/snapback]

Granted he did more than Matty, I don't think would argue with that, and as stated I wouldn't have started with Jansen. As for criticsing Kuqi, it's hardly over the top. In fact as stated before IF we can get his touch better we will have a very good player on our hands, at the moment it seems to be holding his game back.

In some ways it's a bit like Emerton who has great potential/ability but is held back/irritates fans because he doesn't use it properly or doesn't know how to. The positives with Kuqi is that he seems willing to learn, and it is a definate area/skill which can be specifically targeted/worked on.

Granted he did more than Matty, I don't think would argue with that, and as stated I wouldn't have started with Jansen. As for criticsing Kuqi, it's hardly over the top. In fact as stated before IF we can get his touch better we will have a very good player on our hands, at the moment it seems to be holding his game back.

In some ways it's a bit like Emerton who has great potential/ability but is held back/irritates fans because he doesn't use it properly or doesn't know how to.  The positives with Kuqi is that he seems willing to learn, and it is a definate area/skill which can be specifically targeted/worked on.

346782[/snapback]

I don't disagree about the touch bit, not at all, neither was I referring to you. The criticism in general is harsh. I think if you think back to the early games and take in his performance at Bolton you may notice his touch and control actually have improved a bit. I think the blokes gonna be a good un.

Somewhere in one of these threads are a few comments about Notlob's sparce crowd tonight and an appropriate reminder of our European debut.

Big sam has said today that Bolton cannot afford to win the UEFA Cup. He needn't worry. Plovdiv are re-enacting the Trelleborgs experience for the lads in Horwich.

• 2 weeks later...
rover.gif bolton sold there allocation for the match in bolton,surely one or two tourists turned up,but give them credit a excellent following.like us they struggle to fill there allocation's in the premier but that was a excellent following tinykit.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.