BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Friedel

What this thread shows is that many posters consider Friedel to be beyond criticism.

Unlike possibly EIT and USA I don't believe Friedel's decline in form is permanent but I do feel he is performing poorly at the moment. He's no different to any other player, if he's not currently producing the goods the manager should consider resting him.

Interestingly, not one person seems to consider Enckleman worthy of a chance. Why are we paying him if that is the case? huh.gif

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure that if you had a poll of all prem managers who they thought are the best keepers in the league then Friedel would be in the top 5, no question.

How some on here can ask for him to be displaced by the hapless Enckelman (even for one game) is totally beyond me or is it just a case that because we're having a better season this time round we need something new to moan about?

Imagine how you'd feel if you were a Sunderland fan, now there is a s**** keeper.

Edited by LDRover

I stopped taking Rev's posts seriously a long time ago. 

357426[/snapback]

Likewise me with you. You've disappeared so far up your own backside recently you only seem to consider your own point of view as worthy of discussion.

I'd hate to think this inflated sense of your self importance coincides with your election to the BRISA committee. Either way I hope you'll be a little more receptive to other points of view in that capacity.

Heck, I was replying to your original post calling me the "anti Brad poster!". smile.gif

I don't expect him to ever get back to the level he was at three years ago but I do expect him to be solid and unspectacular. I don't want him to be gifting the opposition a goal every away game because that undoes the good work of the rest of the team.

I'd readily agree that on anything approaching normal form he is one of the top keepers in the League but i don't think it's unreasonable to call into question his recent performances.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

I'd hate to think this inflated sense of your self importance coincides with your election to the BRISA committee. Either way I hope you'll be a little more receptive to other points of view in that capacity.

357499[/snapback]

You're more than welcome to join us on BRISA if you think I'm not doing a good job Rev. I'm sure we'd be delighted to have you.

You're right , I do apologise for my earlier post.

You've always been like that. wink.gifbiggrin.gif

(Only joking)

Off topic I really do wish you all the best on BRISA. I do think though that there's a slight conflict of interest in membership of the Fans Forum and committee membership of BRISA ( not being so presumptuous as to assume I'd be elected of course)

Having been on the forum first I feel a bit of loyalty towards that so I will decline your kind invitation at this stage. I will no doubt enrol as a member to give you a bit of financial support though.

I can't really fault Brad for the free kick. As a keeper, it happened to me a few weeks ago and it really is a nightmare situation.

However, his narrowing and closing down has been particularly suspect and he doesn't collect enough crosses, but you can't ask everything from him. He's still a very good keeper.

Interestingly, not one person seems to consider Enckleman worthy of a chance. Why are we paying him if that is the case?  huh.gif

357491[/snapback]

Because we can't afford a better back-up goalie I'd presume?

When Brad eventually does go, then no doubt so will Enkleman and we'll start again.

Interestingly, not one person seems to consider Enckleman worthy of a chance. Why are we paying him if that is the case?  huh.gif

357491[/snapback]

Same reason we're paying players like Gresko and Flitcroft, because they were contracted before Hughes took the job and nobody else will have them due to lack of talent, wage demands, etc.

i htink anyone who has kept goal at a reasonable standard will recognise that: the position from which lampard took his free kick (and pederson took his at utd) is one, where 9 times out of ten a head will be put on the ball once delivered into the area. the keeper cannot afford to assume the ball will continue its flight. any keeper in the world would have done what freidel did ie maintain his position in the centre of goal. having said that, i would agree that freidel is not as good as three seasons ago, when he was brilliant.

i also think that we are currently still comparing goalkeepers with the vast amounts of top keepers from the 80s. i feel the ony difference is that the balls are now less predictable in their flight leading to keepers' indecision.

i htink anyone who has kept goal at a reasonable standard will recognise that: the position from which lampard took his free kick (and pederson took his at utd) is one, where 9 times out of ten a head will be put on the ball once delivered into the area. the keeper cannot afford to assume the ball will continue its flight. any keeper in the world would have done what freidel did ie maintain his position in the centre of goal. having said that, i would agree that freidel is not as good as three seasons ago, when he was brilliant.

i also think that we are currently still comparing goalkeepers with the vast amounts of top keepers from the 80s. i feel the ony difference is that the balls are now less predictable in their flight leading to keepers' indecision.

357589[/snapback]

Spot on!

Brad isn't what he was, but he is still one of the best in the league.

Revidge, did you watch todays game ??

A few good saves today ?

I won't hold my breath waiting for a positive comment though.

358726[/snapback]

There was.

But tell me you werent nervous at the free kick in front of the Darwen End?

As expected, weeks and weeks of mediocre performances are instantly trumped by one decent performance for the chosen ones - Brad'n'Bert; whereas yet another excellent performance by Dickov goes largely unremarked, failing to dispel the received wisdom that he is crap.

Brad is paid to make saves in a game, lets hope he keeps doing that and throws in a few "how did he get to that"'s to make up for the howlers.

Laughable, exactly who would you swap Friedel for in todays Premiership?

Lets not forget the mess that Cech made for Bellamys goal last week, no keepers are perfect but it just happens that we have one of the best. Of course he will occasionaly make mistakes as all keepers do, but look at the quality saves he pulled off today.

Anyone who doubts Friedels class clearly needs to spend more time watching football than spouting drivel on this board.

Sure, he may not be quite as good as he used to be, but he is still one of the best keepers around that Rovers fans could hope to be wearing the number one shirt.

Very good performance from Friedel today, he did what he is paid to do and made three important saves. Two were the sort you would expect him to make, the third with his legs at 3-1 was'nt that category and was vital as anything might have happened had the score got to 3-2.

Much much better from Brad. Hopefully he can keep that up. Possibly he himself hasn't been happy with his contribution in recent weeks.

When you look around todays premiership there is only 1 keeper who stands out as having not made a single mistake and he is shay given!

Maik Taylor, one of the best keepers last season has ha d an awful time of recent, as has van der sar!

The problem for keepers in recent times is the ball that swerves massively in the air even if not perfectly hit. The balls of recent years have had some movement but have been reliable. but for some reason this year's seem to be moving strangely and alot.

Brad hasn't been at his best but he's doing alot better than most of the other keepers, today he made 2 great saves, worthy of him in his better years.

He is still our number one and people should appreciate him while he is with us, come 2 or 3 years we will be having to replace him and unless lee can do the job we will be in transition again.

Exiled in Toronto: yes dickov puts in 100% and thats his game but when players such as emmo and brad do there stuff it's worth a hell of alot more. You have to have both sung and unsung heroes to make a team and thats the way football works!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.