BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Friedel

We all know Brad 's not the keeper he was two or three seasons ago but even so the decline in his performances this season has been alarming.

In the last three away games he has gifted the opposition the softest of goals almost costing us two points at ManUre, costing us 2 points at Anfield and potentially costing us 2 points yesterday.

A good keeper is supposed to save you ten points a season not give them away.

At home he's had relatively little to do but has not inspired confidence, seemingly being racked by indecision as to whether to come off his line.

Is this an irreversible decline due to his age or is it a temporary blip in form? Could an element of complacency have crept in having secured a new long term deal?

Whichever way, whilst I'm not a huge fan I think it's time to give our other international keeper a run out for a couple of games in an attempt to give Brad a much needed kick up the behind. Otherwise what's the point of paying relatively top dollar to have him on the books?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. He is still our best option and still one of the best in the league, although he does make a few slight errors.

Dont forget, the free kick is a very difficult one to pick out and has caught out many good keepers out. Although, he should have done better, it happens.

Also, Joe Cole's goal was a fluke.

Against United, I would say he kept us in it with many saves other than the goal he let in.

Overall, I would keep him in and his form doesnt warrant him being dropped.

the freekick was similar to MGP's effort at old trafford. either way, the keeper had everything to lose. had he came off the line, any touch at would have resulted in a goal anyway. that said, i'd still rather he had came out and tried to punch it away (he does afterall, have a very solid punch).

the problem i think is with keepers in general; quality goalkeepers are at a premium. why else is a team like man utd employing edwin van der sar as 1st choice keeper? personally, i'd rate him and brad at the same level. both are still quality, but they can't defy the aging process, and with it, the natural slow-down in reaction.

as for enckelman, i'd go with hughes judgement. if sparky deems him good enough, i'd go with him. but i suspect he doesnt, hence he's scouring for a younger keeper with potential (lee).

We all know Brad 's not the keeper he was two or three seasons ago but even so the decline in his performances this season has been alarming.

In the last three away games he has gifted the opposition the softest of goals almost costing us two points at ManUre, costing us 2 points at Anfield and potentially costing us 2 points yesterday.

A good keeper is supposed to save you ten points a season not give them away.

At home he's had relatively little to do but has not inspired confidence, seemingly being racked by indecision as to whether to come off his line.

Is this an irreversible decline due to his age or is it a temporary blip in form? Could an element of complacency have crept in having secured a new long term deal?

Whichever way, whilst I'm not a huge fan I think it's time to give our other international keeper a run out for a couple of games in an attempt to give Brad a much needed kick up the behind. Otherwise what's the point of paying relatively top dollar to have him on the books?

357300[/snapback]

I've said it all before, it's not just been this season, it's been coming for some time but no one wanted to listen cos Brad was one of them untouchables. He's been great stopping shots but his fundamentals have always questionable to me, coming of the line, positioning for free kick, punching, narrowing the angle. It's not a blip, as his reflexes go he will not be making as many of the wonder saves he's awed us with, at that point he will be a less than average keeper. I also don't buy into the coaches being a problem, if anything Brad's coming off the line and narrowing of angles have actually improved slightly, that is due I think to the coaching.

Edited by USABlue

I too have noticed the slide in Freidels form over the past season or to. For me it appears to be his positioning for the goals which should give major cause for concern. The Cisse goal is a classic example of this. And I'd bet my bottom dollar that the Friedel of old wouldn't have parried that shot into the path of Gudjohnson yesterday when he should have made it 5.

Drop Friedel for whom?

Enkelman? He was a decent shot-stopper but deprived of first team action he has stagnated as shown by his inconsistent reserve displays, the worst of which, I am led to believe, was against Cercle Brugge. And these days he doesn't even feature for the reserves, so there's no surprise rustiness has set in.

Richard Lee? Kevin Hitchcock rates him, which is why he was signed but he wasn't even Watford's number one. Is he ready?

Steven Drench? Obviously not a short-term solution.

Friedel has not been as impressive but he does seem to be our best bet right now.

Edited by rover6

Brad for me is rapidly approaching Emerton status. Does enough to make you think he's got it, but doesn't do it often enough, making you wish we had someone else; in both cases, the someone else option is even worse. Right now, he's in the team by default.

In addition to the ones mentioned in Revidge's post, he aslo cost us points at the Villa. His fans point to a few saves here and there as to him supposedly earning more points than he's losing, but I don't buy it.

A top class keeper is supposed to make good saves routinely then maybe break even on the clangers and the wonder-saves. Look at Van der Saar at Man U - he's won about half their points so far this season in return for the mistake with MGP's goal, yet last year everyone would haved scoffed at the notion of him being better than Brad.

Brad has had nothing to do in our last 2 games - literally - which mean the other 10 players beat the blues and Leeds. In this game, we needed Brad to step up and do his bit and he didn't, just like at Liverpool.

When was he last man of the match? When was he really the difference between winning and not, beyond the routine saves any Prem keeper would make.

The three year contract will come back and bite us

Did you watch van Der Sar today? I was glad when United signed him because Howard will eventually have another top-flight run out before the World Cup.

As for Brad, I don't see anyone talking about the incredible save he made towards the end.

What the hell are all you lot all talking about? I thought in the latter days of Souness he was struggling as were all the players, but he is a top class goalkeeper and pro, one of the best in the Premiership. Money should not be thrown away on bringing in a keeper or should he be replaced by the other third rate goalies at the club.

It's just unbelievable. There's no doubt Friedel's having a poor run at the moment (although I don't blame him for yesterday's 3rd goal at all) but I've no doubt he'll be back. He had a poor run midway through last season, the usual suspects all came on here spouting off, and then he was back to his brilliant best for the rest of the season. We didn't here a peep about his "fundamentals" then.

I stopped taking Rev's posts seriously a long time ago. He picks his favourites at the start of the season and then he picks players he doesn't like - and no matter what happens during the season Rev's opinions will never change. The only surprise is that he's not managed to blame yesterday's result on Flitcroft yet!

For me, Friedel's made two real mistakes all season. One at United in a game we won anyway, and one at Liverpool where the defence were also at fault. I think you'd struggle to name another keeper who's only made two mistakes this season.

As for yesterday's goal, you see that sort of goal all the time and it always has very little to do with the keeper. Our defence was far too deep and then we allowed Terry to get a free run at the ball. Friedel was caught between positioning himself for a header from Terry or following the flight of the ball. If our defence had done its job he'd never have had that decision to make. Oh, and if you remember EiT, your beloved Van der Sar made exactly the same "mistake" against us a few weeks ago!!

Edited by Scotty

1. Still worthy of his place imo. Terry's head was a midges dick off the cross andCisse's free kick went in because we were one man down in the wall.

2. Also the defence has confidence in him which shows and which is most important.

3. We do not have the luxury of a good keeper waiting in the wings have we?

4. Van de Sar? He's made more mistakes than Brad by far! (could be a line from a song)

5. Lets go back 4 months and consider the dilemma we had........ we had the multi-talented strike force of Dickov, Jansen, Gallagher, Johnson and Stead, and we have very limited funds so should we go for either Craig Bellamy, Benni McArthy or should we sign a keeper? It was a no brainer was it?

6. Rev to give your point some credence can you suggest a keeper that we could sign in Jan that a. would come, b. that we could afford and c. who is better than Friedal?

imho we should be looking to replace Enckleman before we can consider dropping Friedal.

akin to Scotty's view, some of the tripe is unbelievable

Brad may have had an off game, but surely he is entitled to it. After all, how many games has he singlehandedly kept us in the game or even won it for us ?

The 3rd goal was one that is hard to defend against, we saw it at manure away when MGP popped one in, it happened to us yesterday, it has happened many more times and will again.

we dont have a keeper of Brad's stature in reserve.

I just hope that in the next game when he makes a world class save, there are similar posts regardingjust how good he actually is rover.gif

4.  Van de Sar?  He's made more mistakes than Brad by far!  (could be a line from a song)

357437[/snapback]

This season? I don't think so. But anyway, my point was that all keepers make mistakes, but plenty of keepers are winning more games for their clubs that Brad is for us these days. Did you see VDS's save in the last minute from Andy Cole for one? His efforts in Europe?

imho we should be looking to replace Enckleman before we can consider dropping Friedal.

357437[/snapback]

Agree with that, but unfortunatley our meagre funds are better spent on replacing crap or ageing first team midfielders.

What bugged me yesterday was that for the two games before, when 10 players ran their nuts off to deny the opposition chances and get us wins, we could have played a dustbin in goal and still won. Yesterday, they were going to get chances and we needed Brad to earn his corn to have any chance at all.

He doesn't do many if any of the Cech type cock-ups, he leaks too many goals that were nothing special, and he is approaching hopeless at free kicks.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.