SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sergio Peter

mark

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

personally, i'm not convinced by Peter. His temperament seems suspect, and he does not really impose himself on the game anyway. the only bright spark is that he does seem more willing to take his man on than MGP but that's about it.

for the spurs game, i think he'll start, but i'd rather see bentley shifted to the left and gally given a start on the right.

personally, i'm not convinced by Peter. His temperament seems suspect, and he does not really impose himself on the game anyway. the only bright spark is that he does seem more willing to take his man on than MGP but that's about it.

for the spurs game, i think he'll start, but i'd rather see bentley shifted to the left and gally given a start on the right.

Gally played on the left for Stoke, didn't he?

Why disrupt Bentley, who's playing well, by playing him out of position?

• 4 weeks later...

How anyone on here can judge the lad when he's only made 2 league starts for us is amazing. We're in a slump, we need to freshen things up and every game we moan at the contribution if MGP. Surely the lad has to get at least a few games before we can judge him.

Even on the brief clips of the Charlton game I saw, whjat he showed when he went past their full back right at the end was something that unfortunately no other player we have ca

Im not saying he'll be a world beater, just different and unexposed.

Edited by Hasta

How anyone on here can judge the lad when he's only made 2 league starts for us is amazing.

I have no idea but that is an excellent point.

Many Rovers fans are far too quick to judge young players. A so-called 'established' player can play poorly all season but if a youngster isn't George Best in some brief substitute appearances when the team has been been performing inadequately then they can suddenly be written off for life. The George Best reference isn't that much of an exaggeration by the way from some Rovers fans.

I think Rovers fans are often harder to please than many other fans, they are a tough crowd to please and the area is full of people quick to grumble should things not go their way. Some areas of the country seem to have more negative outlooks than others. Didn't really notice that until I moved to other parts of the country but East Lancs folks really can be a pessimistic, miserable bunch. Maybe it is all the rain up here. Stan Ternent described it perfectly when he said some Burnley fans are only happy when they're moaning! That applies to some Rovers fans too! Including...as you can see...me!

We also have a love-hate relationship with a local lad that does well. For all the people wanting Dunn back there are far more rubbing their hands in glee shouting 'Pie boy', 'crock of ....', 'lazy' etc etc. Far harsher than for non-locals usually.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Conversely, when a youngster comes into the team and does well - what a lift it gives to the fans.

FLB, the reason you have such a situation is because the well-established but failing first teamer is likely to be a purchase of the manager - or if not, favoured by the manager. A youth player is considered a throw of the dice by the manager.

To go all out for a experienced player under-performing is too much like going all out for the manager's judgement, something to be avoided at almost all costs. To damn a youngster casts no such aspersion on a bold manager simply testing his luck.

Edited by rover6

I don't think any player should be guarenteed a first team place regardless of how they are playing - which is what it seems like with MGP - I would play Peter and see what happens.

I'd also give Derbyshire or Gally a go up front.

• 2 months later...

Just looking through the Rovers appearance statistics for this year and I do find it very strange the Sergio Peter has made only 1 start and 6 appearances as sub. This is in a season when we have had crippling injuries in midfield and his main competitor for a first team place was badly out of form for 4 months. Even when Pedersen hasnt been fit both Berner and Dunn have been used before Peter. I'd be interested to see the number of times he's been on the bench and not been used. For some reason Hughes either doesnt fancy him or doesnt trust him yet.

I think it would be in everyones interests if he was to go out on loan similar to what Gallacher and Derbyshire hae done in the past. It would give him regular football, a chance to prove himself and Rovers a chance to monitor him in competitive games. I personally do not know whether he is good enough for this level or not. I'm certainly not advocating dropping MGP (not any more anyway!). However, it's two years since Peter first arrived on the first team scene and he still remains something of an enigma to us all.

Guest shoppybrfc

Its simply Sparky doesnt rate him as some members on here do, and I can see why, he hasnt really done much when hes played and does not look like he'll be a top class prem player, maybe a good championship winger. With Wingers you can usually tell from a early if they're going to be top class.

With Wingers you can usually tell from a early if they're going to be top class.

Like Gamst. :rolleyes: (although I'd guess you'd say that Gamst isn't a bona fide winger).

This season his sub appearances haven't been great when they've come - but last season he made a number of assists coming off the bench. And didn't he do quite well as a sub in the Bayer Leverkusen first leg?

The thing is, as he is not playing regularly for even the reserves, how can he be expected to come to perform well with desultory appearances. I just think it's asking too much - same goes for Gally.

He should go on loan to prove himself, or otherwise.

Edited by rover6

Guest shoppybrfc

Might have known you'd have replied, despite you only having seen Peter whenever Rovers are on Terrestrial TV i.e NEVER!

Dont you understand Rovers6, Peter is not on the bench because Mark Hughes and his team who see Peter day in day out, obviously dont think hes good enough! Geez He thought the same with Jemal Johnson, Danns and Donnelly, yet you still know better because you read every review of the reserve team players!

Edited by shoppybrfc

Do the people posting saying he hasn't done anything when he's played only have a 9 month memory bank?

Last season on his debut he provided 3 assists albeit against a lower leage side but in the games that he featured in after that game he looked very promising and provided a few more assists too if I remember right? I dont see how he can really make an impact in the few games he's played this season. AND he is just 20 years old FFS!!!!

Edited by JamieUK

Do the people posting saying he hasn't done anything when he's played only have a 9 month memory bank?

Last season on his debut he provided 3 assists albeit against a lower leage side but in the games that he featured in after that game he looked very promising and provided a few more assists too if I remember right? I dont see how he can really make an impact in the few games he's played this season. AND he is just 20 years old FFS!!!!

He will get his chance I think, but not at the moment as clearly we have a settled side. Also with us out of the UEFA cup our fixture list has decongested dramatically. Aditionally yhe signing of Dunn means that there is more competition for that spot on the left.

Nonetheless his time will come when the Ped loses his form or gets injured.

Although Gally actually got a few minutes today it is he who probably has more to worry about. He must be fifth choice striker and fourth choice right winger at the moment. He is also a bit older than Peter.

Although Gally actually got a few minutes today it is he who probably has more to worry about. He must be fifth choice striker and fourth choice right winger at the moment. He is also a bit older than Peter.

glad to see gally come off the bench today, just wish he got a bit more time to try and prove himself. he's obviously doing well in training as he's ahead of peter on the bench. incidently, can anyone tell me how much longer paul has on his contract?

glad to see gally come off the bench today, just wish he got a bit more time to try and prove himself. he's obviously doing well in training as he's ahead of peter on the bench. incidently, can anyone tell me how much longer paul has on his contract?

He signed a new contract in January along with Derbyshire, 3 years I think they were.

so hughes has faith in him, good. hopefully he'll get a chance for a run in the team soon. if bentley got injured, would hughes play gally ahead of emerton on the right and have zurab go to RB for emo?

Like Gamst. :rolleyes: (although I'd guess you'd say that Gamst isn't a bona fide winger).

This season his sub appearances haven't been great when they've come - but last season he made a number of assists coming off the bench. And didn't he do quite well as a sub in the Bayer Leverkusen first leg?

The thing is, as he is not playing regularly for even the reserves, how can he be expected to come to perform well with desultory appearances. I just think it's asking too much - same goes for Gally.

He should go on loan to prove himself, or otherwise.

Sparky doesn't rate him.

Peter has already gone on loan and proceeded to make a fool of himself which suggests that perhaps the problem is as much with his attitude as anything else.

Geez He thought the same with Jemal Johnson, Danns and Donnelly, yet you still know better because you read every review of the reserve team players!

Johnson, Danns and Donnelly all had spells on loan, as have Derbyshire and Gallagher in the current full squad. I just find it a bit strange that Peter has never gone out to an English club on loan especially if as people say Hughes doesnt fancy him at all. Even Frannys now been shipped off to Ipswich.

As for never showing anything, I remember being at Newcastle last January when we won 1-0 after MGP handled the ball in. It was a dire game which only swung in Rovers favour when Peter came on as a second half sub.

Edited by Hasta

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.