BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Smoking Ban At Ewood

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. I think we are moving towards a total ban on smoking but it has to be implemented in stages so that it doesn't come in one amazingly unpopular rush. People will still want to go to the bars and pubs, just as even though I don't like being in a room filled with smokers I still went to bars and pubs. The only difference is now I won't be having my health damaged by the action of others. People are much more likely to give up smoking as a result of this then they are to give up drinkings and going to the pub. You will certainly kill off the entire class of "social smokers".

1) You take work where you can get it generally if you are looking for bar work.

2) True, but then no one said you can't wait until you go outside to have a smoke? Or that you can't just go and have your drink and smoke at home? Tell me why I have to allow someone to have their little comfort and increase their and my chances of death by having a smoke while I have a drink but they can't do us both a favour and not have a smoke while they have a drink. Why is their right the greater? It certainly isn't, when you consider the health effects of one of the rights versus that of the other.

395559[/snapback]

YOU DON'T HAVE TO ALLOW IT. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!! NO ONE FORCES YOU TO GO TO THE PUB!!!

i guess a smoker's rights has to be taken away for the better of the society? not an easy issue to discuss. the rights of smokers and non smokers will forever be clashing against one another. in the idiotic words of george bush, 'youre either with us or against us' or in this case, either totally ban smoking or let it continue.

American.

You are in a pub or restaurant with a half-eaten meal and a half consumed drink, nobody smoking.

A non-smoker walks in and doesn't light up.

A smoker walks in and lights up.

Can you tell the difference and the need for a ban?

Malta has changed from a place where restaurants, cafes and bars were purgatory for our family to be being extremely pleasant- we can go anywhere since the smoking ban came in a year ago. Sure, there are a few places where its not enforced but they aren't places we would go to anyway. But if we go into a non-smoking environment, we can keep it that way.

Edited by philipl

Having a no smoking area in a pub is like having a no pissing area in a swimming pool.

Pointless.

395564[/snapback]

laugh.gif

Back to the original point, do we think that Rovers will allow supporters the opportunity to go out of the ground or into an isolated area for a quick smoke.

If not, this will affect attendances in my opinion, especially when the game is on SKY.

YOU DON'T HAVE TO ALLOW IT. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!! NO ONE FORCES YOU TO GO TO THE PUB!!!

395606[/snapback]

Blackburn Rovers only play at one venue.

American, I have no problem with people smoking. It's their inability to contain it's effects to their own personal space that pisses me off.

The Gov't should just ban them wholesale and increase income tax by 10% to make up their lost revenue.

395596[/snapback]

Great idea Aggy. Everybody who doesn't smoke should get their income tax increased by 10% and folk like me who already contribute through tax on fags should not get the increase. Perfect.

Blackburn Rovers only play at one venue.

American, I have no problem with people smoking. It's their inability to contain it's effects to their own personal space that pisses me off.

395620[/snapback]

I have no problems with Rovers making the ban themselves, again, it's their business, they can do as they please. It would be good to see a smoking area that people could go to, but again, their business.

And Philip, when you went to the restaurant, you knew if they allowed smoking or not. If you don't want to go where people smoke, find a restaurant or pub where they don't. If you complain that there won't be any non-smoking places, then invest in one, Mr. businessman. From how many people on here would sacrifice civil liberties for smoke free places, it would be a gold mine.

When they take away the rest of our rights and liberties without a fight, I won't be allowed to say I told you so.

And by the way, I don't smoke.

Edited by American

I don't like the smell of those Burgers.

Get rid of them as well.

And people burping in my ear at half time, makes me sick. ban the beer as well.

395698[/snapback]

Why? Does the smell of burger increase the chances of you getting cancer?

I don't like the smell of those Burgers.

Get rid of them as well.

And people burping in my ear at half time, makes me sick. ban the beer as well.

395698[/snapback]

Absolutely, ban swearing aswell. At the West Brom game I'm sure I heard the F word four times.

No wonder the gates are dropping, those plastic seats are so uncomfortable.

Time for a fun game of twister ?

What about my civil liberty to not run the risk of becoming sick by standing in an area? I think it is great that I'm getting that one back. Do what you want as long as it doesn't hurt me. Nowhere does it say you have the right to slowly damage the health of others and I'm sorry to say that in any European country it is impossible to avoid places where people smoke, a ban is the only thing that can change that.

When I lived in the States American I had no trouble whatsoever avoiding smoke, maybe that is why you feel the way that you do American. Come here to Paris and try and find places for me to go. Now I don't mind it so much in bars, but if you are eating it is a horrible thing. A family friend was recently diagnosed with a type of lung cancer that can only be the result of smoking related damage, she has never smoked a cigarette in her life but is now fighting for her life having already had a lung removed and going through radiation therapy. Tell her about how important your right to smoke while standing next to her is.

I wonder what effect the ban will have on already dwindling crowd numbers.

Say 10% of the 20,000 are smokers.

There's potentially a loss of 2,000 supporters gone in a puff of smoke.

And don't tell me it'll encorage more non smokers along. There's already 10,000 unoccupied seats out in the open air.

I do. I'm sure there will be the odd one who stops coming but not many. It could be argued that if we see a ban on smoking people will free up more of their disposable income and have more money to go to Rovers games. Swings and roundabouts really.

Doubt it. The ground will just look emptier as the smokers nick outside and stand 20 metres from the ground.

Next I'd like to see a ban on that other dangerous drug,alcohol, from being served inside the ground.

The catering needs a overhaul too...no fat laden pis,chips etc but healthy alternatives.

Scarves,belts,shoelaces etc should prohibited as they could be used as an offensive weapon.

Hot flasks of soup/coffee etc should be a big no no as they could scold the person sat next to you etc etc etc.

Welcome to the future.

BTW I have no objection to smoking being banned in places such as restaurants and other confined spaces.

That isn't the future. I think this is a move to ban a substance that doesn't only harm the user, which is what seperates it from some of the other mentions it. True, things like alcohol can lead to dui or alcohol induced violence but it isn't quite the same. To get all worked up about this saying we are going down a path where we won't be able to do this, that or the other is simply ridiculous and is a poor attempt at trying to counter some fairly well reasoned arguments through the use of non-sensical extremes.

All I can say is that for all of you who are so interested in maintaining civil liberty then why can't I legally smoke marijuana? What happened to all of he opium dens?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.