BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Chelsea's Success

John Terry believes Chelsea deserve more recognition:

http://www.fansfc.com/frontpage/frontpagen...p?newsid=151885

Doesn't he understand that we do 'just' shrug our shoulders when they win a trophy now. Infact the bigger surprise is when they fail to win a trophy. Maybe I'm too much of a cynic but the reason I don't recognise them winning the league as an achievement (or being so close to winning it at least) is because they bought it.

Always difficult one for us because people often say that we bought the title, but I think it is more true in their case. I don't think you can actually buy the title, teams like Liverpool, Spurs, Boro, Newcastle and Villa have shown that it really isn't easy, but I don't think Chelsea deserve anymore recognition then they get.

The problem with Chelsea is the way they play the game. Utd and more so Arsenal played entraining ball when they were on top. Chelsea score goals have great players, yet are boring to watch! Simple as that! Not sure if Liverppol are far behind Chelsea in this field. Is winning titles more important than entraining the public? I know which one I would choose.

Always difficult one for us because people often say that we bought the title, but I think it is more true in their case. I don't think you can actually buy the title, teams like Liverpool, Spurs, Boro, Newcastle and Villa have shown that it really isn't easy, but I don't think Chelsea deserve anymore recognition then they get.

401391[/snapback]

Totally agree Eddie,I see Chelsea's acheivments as nothing like when we won it.

We were a small town team going nowhere,and we came from nowhere to win it,Chelsea were already in the mix with the "top" clubs.

I don't think you can buy the league,but money is obviously the greatest tool more than ever these days.

they bought the players who achieved the success just like we did in the 94/95 season. and there two best players are english so no matter how many players from abroad you bring in you cant beat the english.

they bought the players who achieved the success just like we did in the 94/95 season. and there two best players are english so no matter how many players from abroad you bring in you cant beat the english.

401408[/snapback]

Neither of whom were actually bought with Russian Roman's cash.

Well Chelsea spending spree over the last few years dwarfs anything Jack Walker ever spent.

I see Chelsea as a club without a heart and their quest for domestic dominance rather pointless given the ridiculous advantage they hold over everyone else.

Its not accomplishment for them to win the league. They have down right bought the title. At least when we won the league we played great football and we did it with predominantly British players and we didn't buy every single decent player going worldwide to do it. We did it on players of the likes of Ripley, Wilcox, Hendry and Flowers in a world of football that had the likes of Romario, Ronaldo, Hierro and many other top world class players. We only had one player that could be called world class and he was Alan Shearer.

Now compare that to Chelsea they have IMO the best keeper in the world in Petr Chek (pardon the sp), Duff, SWP, Joe Cole, Hernan Crespo, Del Horno, Drogba, Makalele and Essien. Every single one of those players plays international football. Plus Makelele has won everythig in world football, he's won a world cup, european championship and every Spainish domestic title and the Champions League.

So IMO they have bought the league and until they stop buying all the competition's best players they will only do that and they will end up being hated for it just like they are now.

I'm struggling to think of a club that has not "bought" the title to some extent - all have have been the biggest or one of the biggest spenders of their time.

This does not mean spending guarantees success - the examples of spending a lot for no return are legion; however, you have to go back as far as Ipswich in 1962(?) or Burnley in 1960(?) to find a title-winning club that cannot be accused of buying the title.

Chelsea's bubble will burst and, let's be honest, the amount of money they have spent does not yet reflect in the size of their trophy cabinet - they got beat yesterday by a team that could not afford to buy back Michael Owen for heaven's sake! dry.gif

Oh how nice it may be in the next 2 weks or so.

I have prayed that cfc dont come to Ewood wanting that elusive point to clinch the title. I have been worried about how they may have destroyed Liverpool in the semi final and then how they might have lost against manure at home therefore opening the title race a wee bit longer.

Now then I have a totally different view.

I am pleased as punch that the cheski money wagon fell flat on its bum on Saturday.

I want manure to record a win at their ground.

I want them to come to Ewood and get their raggedy rich bums spanked again by a refreshed ROVERS.

I want the geordie faithful to worship our old King Alan Shearer, bid him farewell and to blow the goals into the Chelsea net.

and finally.....

for once I want manure to win the bloody league and ram the taunts, the cheek and the arrogance that is that bloody portuguese muppet moanalot down his great big portugueseian gob laugh.gif

I consider it an achievement that ranks alongside every other team that's won the Premiership. It's all well and good to claim that Chelsea "bought the league" but every team buys players that they hope will win success. I don't see Chelsea as any different.

Lets all be honest we are all slagging Chelski off and myself included because they have somehow found a rich man to back them and has brought them the good times that we all wish for. maybe they have done it in an unorthodox way but they are still the champions.

I consider it an achievement that ranks alongside every other team that's won the Premiership. It's all well and good to claim that Chelsea "bought the league" but every team buys players that they hope will win success. I don't see Chelsea as any different.

401453[/snapback]

But surely you can differentiate between What Chelsea have done with their astronomical outlay compared to say what Arsene Wenger has achieved on a relative shoestring.

There is one positive side effect.

Chelsea have made the other clubs raise their game and even though Chelski will buy big again this summer (the original plan was not to do so), next season's Premiership could be very competitive at the top.

We could also be seeing English clubs becoming much stronger competitors in Europe because of the levelling up of quality Chelsea are causing.

Some of the players Mourinho has signed have clearly been overpriced.

Shaun Wright-Phillips (£21m) is worth about half that IMO.

Didier Drogba (£24m) - who missed a glaring sitter against Liverpool yesterday. He's built like the proverbial brick ----house and he's effective if you want to have a big lump to play long ball football - but his shooting in front of goal isn't good enough for a player who cost £24m.

I am pleased as punch that the cheski money wagon fell flat on its bum on Saturday.

I was very pleased too.

Mourinho got his team selection and tactics totally wrong in the first half - playing such a negative narrow formation. Without Robben, Duff and Joe Cole in the starting line-up, they lacked the width, fluency and creativity needed to break down the Liverpool defence.

With Paulo Ferreira as a midfielder and Frank Lampard playing far too deep, Chelsea fully deserved to lose for their negative formation. They lacked a proper shape and were all over the place in the first half. It was reminiscent of the tactical shambles that Claudio Ranieri was responsible for against Monaco in the Champions League semi-final a couple of years ago.

Graeme Souness was once quoted as saying: "There are no room for wingers in football." I thought he was talking rubbish, because there's always room in my book for a player who can attack the full-back and deliver quality crosses in the box.

Mourinho though, arrogantly thought his Chelsea side would be able to win by playing negatively - without the services of Robben, Cole and Duff in the starting line-up. He made a major blunder. But don't expect the 'Special One' to hold his hands up and admit that he made a balls-up. He won't do that because he's in love with himself so much.

An arrogant and egotistical man who once again refused to shake hands with his opposite number after the game - walking away at Old Trafford without the courtesy of shaking hands with Benitez.

I was delighted that Chelsea lost.

A lot of our hate for Chelski does have a lot to the with the self-proclaimed "Special One". His arrogance is so annoying, he cannot admit when he is wrong but is the first to brag when he gets a decision correct or wins a trophey.

A lot of our hate for Chelski does have a lot to the with the self-proclaimed "Special One". His arrogance is so annoying, he cannot admit when he is wrong but is the first to brag when he gets a decision correct or wins a trophey.

401491[/snapback]

Managers do have such an impact upon perception of clubs. Man Utd, Chelsea and, increasingly lately, Arsenal have all suffered from their managers appearing peevish, self involved and ungracious. Conversely Liverpool and Tottenham get good PR through having mild mannered, intelligent sounding managers.

In the long run I can see easily see Hughes falling in the first camp as he is not one to give credit to the opposition when due nor one to 'manage' reporters. However, who gives a toss if we perform this well, eh?

I rather imagine thats the opinion of Chelsea's fans too smile.gif

John Terry believes Chelsea deserve more recognition:

http://www.fansfc.com/frontpage/frontpagen...p?newsid=151885

Doesn't he understand that we do 'just' shrug our shoulders when they win a trophy now. Infact the bigger surprise is when they fail to win a trophy. Maybe I'm too much of a cynic but the reason I don't recognise them winning the league as an achievement (or being so close to winning it at least) is because they bought it.

401390[/snapback]

I think the reason that people shrug their shoulders is because everyone expected Chelsea to win it. They set the standard by running away with it last year, and then never looking threatened this year. The fact that they can then pick and choose the finest players in the world adds to that feeling that with the resources at their disposal, they should be winning it.

People will always say that we bought the title, but for a slightly different reason - whilst we were matched, in spending and on the pitch, very closely by Man U and Newcastle, it's undeniable that we were also punching above our weight as a small town club, and the money was the reason for this. People look at Chelsea, and if they had been matched so closely by other teams in terms of spending, no one would be leveling the same accusation at them. Their transfer spends, however, make up a ridiculously high percentage of the total spends by teams in the English leagues, no-one can compete with them in those terms and until they can also show that they can bring through young players, like Man U did and Arsenal still do, rather than just buying the pick of the crop, people will continue (justifiably so) to say that they are buying their titles, and until they can win by playing attractive and exciting football, people will continue to resent them.

Managers do have such an impact upon perception of clubs. Man Utd, Chelsea and, increasingly lately, Arsenal have all suffered from their managers appearing peevish, self involved and ungracious. Conversely Liverpool and Tottenham get good PR through having mild mannered, intelligent sounding managers.

In the long run I can see easily see Hughes falling in the first camp as he is not one to give credit to the opposition when due nor one to 'manage' reporters. However, who gives a toss if we perform this well, eh?

I rather imagine thats the opinion of Chelsea's fans too smile.gif

401507[/snapback]

I'm not sure I agree with that, I think that Hughes has been very positive for our image. Once we were able to get away from the robust style of play that was needed to ensure our surival last year (largely a legacy of the end of the Souness era), he has done well for us by coming across as being knowledgable and level-headed. As long as he doesn't start to disappear up his own backside, he will hopefully continue to do so.

Have Chelsea been successful?

OK they have won the Prem twice on the run, but surely with such a huge outlay true success will be winning the Champions League.

I think Mourinho is under immense pressure to win that next year.

The jury is still out as far as I am concerned.

Abramovic can spend as much money as he likes but it is still a considerable achievement to train, coach and mould the team spirit of a set of players that win the League - especially 2 seasons running.

However Chelsea have had 2 seasons where practically nothing has gone wrong for them in terms of bad luck or injury. How many consecutive games has Lampard played?

Despite all that there are clear signs in the second half of this season that everything will not be as hunky dory for them next year - I can't remember the last time they played really well, and for the first time they have had two or three really poor results.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Man Ure or Arsenal win the League next year.

I still prefer Chelski to ManUre or Boring boring Liverpool any day of the week personally though.

Oh how nice it may be in the next 2 weks or so.

I have prayed that cfc dont come to Ewood wanting that elusive point to clinch the title. I have been worried about  how they may have destroyed Liverpool in the semi final and then how they might have lost against manure at home therefore opening the title race a wee bit longer.

Now then I have a totally different view.

I want manure to record a win at their ground.

I want them to come to Ewood and get their raggedy rich bums spanked again by a refreshed ROVERS.

I want the geordie faithful to worship our old King Alan Shearer, bid him farewell and to blow the goals into the Chelsea net.

and finally.....

for once I want manure to win the bloody league and ram the taunts, the cheek and the arrogance that is that bloody portuguese muppet moanalot down his great big portugueseian gob laugh.gif

401441[/snapback]

Oh how sweet it would be if your wishes were granted Roverite!

You have perfectly captured the words and sentiments that I (and probably most Rovers fans ) have been feeling ever since that sickening, sneering , cheating, smarmy toad of a so-called manager brought his whining team of softies and ham actors to Ewood and refused to shake hands with MH after the match.

If all the rest of the world hates Chelski, and Moanio wants to know why; all he needs to do is look in the mirror, and the reason will stare back at him! ph34r.gifph34r.gifph34r.gif

Edited by Fife Rover

Lets all be honest we are all slagging Chelski off and myself included because they have somehow found a rich man to back them and has brought them the good times that we all wish for. maybe they have done it in an unorthodox way but they are still the champions.

401457[/snapback]

If that was all it was I wouldn't mind at all and would say "good luck to them".

However the reality is that they are a team that deliberately and persistently cheats and gets away with it, and at the same time has the temerity to moan and complain and scream "foul" at every instance they possibly can when any other team gives them a taste of their own medicine. Disgusting, loathsome, cheating scum!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.