BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

USA 1 Italy 1

USRoverME

Despite the agony of the result from Monday, there are still games to be played and the potential to snatch victory from the jaws of disappointment. In order to salvage a chance at the knock-out stages, the USA must get points from Saturdays match against Italy, kickoff at 8 PM local time (3 PM here in the states).

History paints a bleak picture for Sam's Army in this match. In their previous 2 meetings in world cup action, Italy prevailed, 1-0 in 1990, and 7-1 in 1934. Interestingly, both World Cups were played in Italy. Their most recent meeting was a 1-0 Italy victory in a February 2002 friendly in preparation for the last world cup. The USA is also winless in all 7 of their World Cup final matches played on European soil, scoring only 4 and conceding 20. Landon Donovan is also on a major goalless streak in international competition, having not celebrated a strike in his last 15 international matches or so.

In the warm-ups for this WC, both squads played Germany. If those results have any bearing on this match, the USA is in trouble, as the Americans fell 4-1, but the Italians prevailed 4-1. In summary, the USA will need to break from all history and their recent form in order to prevail.

In terms of the squad, USA coach Bruce Arena's comments seem to indicate that changes in the attack should be expected after voicing his displeasure with the wing play in particular. Although, Arena plays his cards close to the vest, so it is difficult to tell what he might have in store for the Azzurri. For Italy, I'm guessing that there will be few changes to the squad that appeared to dominate the side from Ghana after settling in.

Unless the USA squad comes out with a lot more fire and passion than they exhibited on Monday, a draw is the best I can expect for Sam's Army, likely 1-1, with goals from Toni and Brian McBride. That goal from McBride would make him the first CONCACAF player to have scored in 3 World Cups.

American is trying to line up an interview addition to this preview, so stay tuned!

Edited by USRoverME

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tbh, the US didn't impress me at all vs the Czechs, while Italy looked good against Ghana, so it's hard for me to see anything but a win for Italy. If that doesn't happen, I think it'll be a 0-0 draw.

If Totti plays, then I think Italy will win as, like Keely Hazell, they are looking very impressive up front :D

After getting knocked back by the Czechs its a bit unfortunate that they play Italy next, especially as Italy have been unbeaten in 15+ games.

Zambrotta is likely to slot into his right back position for this one, and Gattuso is also making good progress. Expect to see a similar line-up from Italy, with Zambrotta replacing Zaccardo and possibly Iaquinta (or, better yet - Inzaghi) on for Gilardino. Don't think Lippi wants to change his midfield trio, and Totti will probably play for about an hour or so in this match aswell methinks.

Del Piero upset because he is out of the XI according to channel4, why I don't really know - it's not like he's going to take Totti's place with Alex' current form. Anyway, easy 3-0 win for Italy here.

2-1 US if the players respond like they should to Arena's calling them all out.

Realistically, 2-1 Italy with Donovan failing in Germany for the 3rd time.

As for my addition, I was trying to line up a semi-celeb preview interview, but it will probably have to be put aside until one of the season previews due to his time constraints.

Starting lineup has been announced: Keller; Cherundolo, Pope, Onyewu, Bocanegra; Dempsey, Reyna, Donovan, Mastroeni, Convey; McBride.

While I applaud Arena for having the guts to drop Beasley and pick Dempsey, I really would have liked to see John O'Brien and Eddie Johnson find a place in the lineup. I guess we'll have to see what happens.

On the first red card, yes.

Bu then what a crap call in sending Mastroeni marching. A yellow card, surely, but a straight red? The ref hadn't been bad up to that point (although Luca Toni is giving as good as he's getting up front), but that totally changes the complexion of the game.

A lucky break by the U.S. for their goal, but you can't say it wasn't deserved. We were clearly the better side in the first half. Can't help but feeling that we'll dominate possession and then Italy will get just one more chance and put it away to take all three points.

Edited by Philly Rover ®

If that was a Premiership match then it would have been a yellow card, but seeing as though Italy were down to ten and Blatter is in the crowd he may have felt he needed to even it up/look like he is applying Blatters rules in the correct manner so he gets a game later on in the tournament.

You know how the old saying goes: the best referees are the ones that you never even knew were on the field, such was their minimal impact on the game.

Well, Larrionda put his stamp on this match from the get-go. It's a shame, because this had a chance to be a really great game. Cookiemonster showed what the commentators were talking about after the game: he was suspended from the 2002 World Cup for "irregularities" in his refereeing. So how does he make it back onto the approved list for this year's Cup? Yet another black eye for FIFA. If that man is ever allowed to referee another World Cup match, it will be a disaster for football.

I'll just say this about the refereeing, then I'm done: it's the World Cup, for God's sake. You have got to give the players some leeway, especially when you consider how physical a match like this one is going to be. Incidentally, I thought that while De Rossi's red card was fully deserved, Pope's was certainly questionable, and Mastroeni's was a joke. A straight red for a mistimed tackle? A yellow would have been fully deserved, but to send a man off in the World Cup for a mistimed tackle is absolute tripe.

As for the (completely overshadowed) game: you're absolutely right in your assessment, Joey. The U.S. did very well to get a point, especially after going down 1-0 and especially after going down to 9 men. I think what may have frustrated the commentators was the fact that the U.S. opened by controlling play in the first 20 minutes with 11 a side, and even at 10-v-10 it would have been a pretty even game. Down to 9 men, it turned into a siege; granted, we did well to hold off the Italians, but given the way the U.S. controlled the flow of the game for most of the first half, you got the feeling that the Azzurri may have been there for the taking.

The U.S. were fortunate with the own goal, but in the end I think the point was a fully deserved one.

Edited by Philly Rover ®

All three red cards were fine IMO. There'd have been no complaints about Pope's card if it had been his first.

EDIT: Also, good decision with the disallowed goal. I don't think he had a great perfomance though, as both sides had good penalty appeals turned down, and some free kicks were quite quetionable indeed.

Edited by Lathund

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.