Now Its Over

philipl

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no lows?...penalities

no highs?....the aussies crying now that was funny

no surprises?..ghana,brazil underperforming.

no dissappointments?..wow

no anger?..cheating diving scrote ronaldo

footy is footyits always good thatts why we are all fans

no lows?...penalities

no highs?....the aussies crying now that was funny

no surprises?..ghana,brazil underperforming.

no dissappointments?..wow

no anger?..cheating diving scrote ronaldo

footy is footyits always good thatts why we are all fans

Eh?

The lows of this tournament? The cynical diving that has permeated the game needs eradicating.

Must admit, It's been very ordinary for me.

If you're into diving,

if you're into pettiness

if you're into unsporting behaviour

Then this world cup has been one for you.

It has not been a world cup for football bliss.

I know a bit premature but the Observer only publishes on Sundays- I liked this:

http://football.guardian.co.uk/worldcup200...1816453,00.html

I don't know why but this World Cup has left me remarkably unmoved. No highs, no lows, no surprises, no disappointments, no anger. It was better than OK- just.

Great tournament, there were some crap games that I fell asleep for, but that's what I get for watching England.

Highs, the rejuvenation of some old dogs in Figo, Zidane showing youngsters like Rooney and C Ronaldo how the game should be played. The emergence of some very exciting players, Lahm, Ribery, Robinho and most of the Ivory Coast squad. Italy finally showing some gusto on the world stage, particulary Totti. Rooney getting sent off (just for you Abs)

Lows, diving and refereeing

Suprises, Australia and Ghana making in out of the group stages, Germany and Italy playing exciting attacking football, Brazil and Argentina faltering, Czech republic and Spain going out as early as they did

Dissapointments, Ronaldinho

Anger, C Ronaldo bashing when it England have no one to blame but themselves for yet ANOTHER poor performance

I don't know why but this World Cup has left me remarkably unmoved. No highs, no lows, no surprises, no disappointments, no anger. It was better than OK- just.

Because England were crud barring part of a match with 10 men?

I have to say, a lot of the teams have been under-par - Holland, France, England, Brazil, even Italy haven't played that well.

Eddie, direct retaliation for Abs post above.

I didn't say Ribery was the finished product yet but another 12 months and he will be awesome.

You can see how much he has grown throughout the tournament already. His first game I was wondering what all the fuss was about but he has got better and better as we have gone along. I think A main reason behind France getting better.

and how to get a player sent off

and how to wink in delight

and how to perform swan lane in blades

NEEEKOY WHY DO YOU POP AT US EMNGLISH AT EVERY OPPURTUNITY ON WHATEVER THREAD....I THINK YOU HAVE GOT ANCESTORS IN THE JIM FAKMILY

Eddie, direct retaliation for Abs post above.

???? only said i thought it was funny...but you have a go at every oppurtunity at us poms

Edited by ABBEY

What?? Who posted first in this thread Abs? Australia crying was a high for you mate?

You get as good as you give Abs.

EDIT: After your edit

I don't have a go at them every opportunity, I find it funny that there are some who cannot just not admit they weren't good enough.

It has to Ronaldo's fault, it has to be Svens fault, it has to the media's fault, the stars weren't aligned, the referee's were @#/?, lady luck is a saturday night burnly slag

England were a dissapointment for me, I thought they were a real potential winner but they failed, I watch these guys week in week out and they continue to talk themselves up as being part of the best league in the world, the best teams and that they are the best players.

Well show it!! The Italians have failed for so long because they held the same deluded thoughts, it was never their fault, they had the best players ect ect.

Is it too much to expect a team always talking of winning the big tournaments to actually expect a result or two?

Edited by neekoy

By all accounts Germany have been fantastic hosts but on the field I have no hesitation in saying it has been the

WORST WORLD CUP EVER.

In fact, after the highs of 1970-82 each successive World Cup has got worse. The tournament in its present format and lasting one whole month is

Far too long (it should be three weeks maximum) because there too many teams taking part. This has led to

Too many poor matches.

Too many average players.

No outstanding performers (be honest, who would you pay hard-earned money to watch ?)

In addition, it has been spoilt by

Too many poor refereering decisions and dismissals and yellow cards (not the referees' fauly, blame Fifa directives)

Too many players feigning injury.

Too many players cheating.

In short, Fifa, because of a combination of incompetance and greed in mis-managing its over-inflated, over-hyped tournament, has managed to turn what used to be a festival of magical football into a bore.

By all accounts Germany have been fantastic hosts but on the field I have no hesitation in saying it has been the

WORST WORLD CUP EVER.

Jim, you've seen a few of these now, how would you improve the format?

Other then making sure Australia never qualified of course

Jim & American are spot on the germans were amazing hosts. Even singing english songs with us in the middle of little villages, including 10 german bombers :P .

For the football it has been ok but then the world cup hardly ever shines. Some suprises and it's kept us all entertained until the semi's which obviously lacked the english!

Must admit, It's been very ordinary for me.

If you're into diving,

if you're into pettiness

if you're into unsporting behaviour

Then this world cup has been one for you.

It has not been a world cup for football bliss.

I totally agree with this.

Unsporting behaviour has come to a new level with this world cup and it has really taken the shine off the whole thing for me.

Cheating is something that seems to be rooted deeply in modern football (thanks FIFA...) and it is the one thing above all else, even the stupid amount of money around, that is killing the game.

It needs to stop now.

I just have to say if these officials are the cream of the crop, the game is screwed. There were some good performances by the refs (I can think of the Tunisia/Saudi match where he would go over and tell the players to get up, he wasn't going to call anything), but for the most part, I'll remember this as a very poorly officiated finals (not even counting US/Italy - even US/Ghana, he got the penalty call wrong, but still overall did a good job - so I'm not whining).

Poll will always be remembered as the worst of the worst.

Highs, the rejuvenation of some old dogs in Figo, Zidane showing youngsters like Rooney and C Ronaldo how the game should be played.

Maybe should have saved that until after the tournament was finished.

Highs, the rejuvenation of some old dogs in Figo, Zidane showing youngsters like Rooney and C Ronaldo how the game should be played.

Thuggish behaviour indeed.

Here's a cloth mate, wipe that egg off your face :wstu:

Edited by adopted scouser

Terrible world cup. I thought the last one wasn't that good, but this certianly puts things into perspective.

Too many things to blame really.

The overally defensive football most teams played. We had one farce already when Greece won the last Euro cup with some of the most boring football you'll ever see, and although we didn't quite reach those depths, it was still very disappointing. Unfortunately, this is a problem I don't see how it's going to be resolved. Maybe we just have to get used to it.

The refereeing. Especially the thing with the red cards. It seemed like you only needed to look someone the wrong way and you would have been off. The fault though should carry FIFA and their stupid new rules.

The lack of fairplay. Although some teams could not be faulted for it, others more than made up *cough*Portugal*cough*.

There were a few great moments, and quite a lot of brilliant goals, but overall it just didn't live up to it's name.

Edited by Mr. E

The World Cup was a triumph for the coaches but football was the loser.

Years ago they killed off wingers and now forwards/strikers are an endangered species.

Another tournament decided on penalties because neither coach dared to win.

A poor tournament got the poor final it deserved.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.