BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pre-season

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To those fans who made the trip to Austria and Germany and now to the Netherlands, does any one know if official programmes were issued at the games or if not, were any team sheets issued?

I went to the Olympiakos game, and no program or teamsheets were issued..

Our back up in midfield and full back positions seems particularly awful. A couple of injuries and we really have some mediocre players who will come in.

If the dutch guy comes in as a full back then I would be surprised as he is not very quick.

Really don’t understand why people take the score line in pre-season too seriously.

We started the game with a very experimental team.

Goalkeeper – Brown

Defence – Neill, Mokoena, Todd & Matteo

Midfield – Gally – Acuna – Douglas – Peter

Strikers – Kuqi – McCarthy

So out of that entire team we had 2 or 3 1st team players. We still had a lot of the possession and we still had plenty of chances in the 1st half to be out of sight.

Don’t worry people! Have faith in Mark Hughes & his team.

Really don’t understand why people take the score line in pre-season too seriously.

We started the game with a very experimental team.

Goalkeeper – Brown

Defence – Neill, Mokoena, Todd & Matteo

Midfield – Gally – Acuna – Douglas – Peter

Strikers – Kuqi – McCarthy

So out of that entire team we had 2 or 3 1st team players. We still had a lot of the possession and we still had plenty of chances in the 1st half to be out of sight.

Don’t worry people! Have faith in Mark Hughes & his team.

yep thats true...but when your sat in the stadium and your gettin tubbed 5-0 off the greeks...would you say its happy days? ;) only jokin :tu:

Just back in sunny Manchester (flight only delayed half an hour which I guess is a huge stroke of luck at the moment) and now looking forward to a bit of a holiday to recover from my holiday.

What can I say about last nights game? We were awful - just awful. I know it was an under-strength team but there were enough good players out there to at least put up a bit of an effort. Sparta were nothing special but we made them look brilliant at times.

We looked vulnerable in defence, especially down the wings where McEveley in particular had a mare.

We had nothing in midfield - Acuna constantly gave the ball away (to be fair he then went and won it back a few times but he shouldn't have had to), Douglas just doesn't look good enough, and, save for a couple of decent passes, Gallagher and Peter offered little.

Up front Kuqi surpassed himself by missing two glorious chances when it seemed easier to score. McCarthy started well but took a whack mid-way into the first half and didn't seem the same afterwards. Roberts looked class when he came on late in the game.

We only really started playing late in the second half when all the "first-teamers" came on, but we were already a goal down by then and our finishing was consistently awful. We must have missed 5 or 6 gilt-edge chances to score. However, Sparta also had just as many chances at the other end to put the game safe. It was all just dreadfully disappointing.

I know it's only a friendly, I know we started with an under-strength team, but it's hard not to be a tad concerned after watching that shower last night. Our first eleven may be good but the rest of the squad look a bit short on this showing.

Last word on Acuna. As I said earlier, he gave the ball away a lot, often in dangerous areas, and he didn't offer us much going forward. He's strong and a good tackler, but I hope for his sake he's done well in training because I can't see him winning a contract with us on the basis of last night.

Had a good boozy do in Rotterdam afterwards though - and we didn't get stabbed which was nice. :tu:

To those fans who made the trip to Austria and Germany and now to the Netherlands, does any one know if official programmes were issued at the games or if not, were any team sheets issued?

Didn't notice an official programme for either the Aachen or Sparta Rotterdam games (but I wasn't really looking for one either) but there were team sheets available for both.

I know it's only a friendly, I know we started with an under-strength team, but it's hard not to be a tad concerned after watching that shower last night. Our first eleven may be good but the rest of the squad look a bit short on this showing.

Lacking pace and flair in midfield at the moment - even when the first team take the field. Sergio Peter displayed some of those coveted attributes last season but it sounds like he's not exactly threatening MGP's place with his uninspiring pre-season form.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.