SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Killing Us!

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry FLB, I was being sarcastic.

The guys who watch regularly in the pubs, will simply blame the club for relegation. It will be nothing to do with the falling gates and lack of supporters money - in their view. Nothing anyone else says will cahnge that.

True but I think we are straying from the point - the fans (the ones that go the games anyway) can't do much about this, it needs either the police (which seems unlikely) or Rovers to do something about it. Some of the people on here are suggesting that fans just want to spend the money on beer rather than going to the game but that doesn't quite compute.

2 x pints in a pub = £5 + free live game thrown in

ticket for next home match = £27 at cheapest, beer extra

Most of the people in the pubs are being lazy and can't be bothered, but if they didn't have that option every week I think a lot would make their way down for a couple of games a season. It's something to do. Having these games on in their local just makes their whole decision so much easier. If some people are offered the easy (and cheap) option they will take it.

So yeah these 'fans' are lazy so-and-so's but it's also understandable when football costs so much. Other than having a chat to the LET and sending out a letter, something more needs to done by Rovers. Either that or just accept it, one of the two.

so its £36 to sit in b end for Chelsea + £20 on beer & food or go to pub and wacth it for free, wot can rovers do about it ?

not that iam doing that i have a season tecket of course, but can you see my point

Well first off is it necessary to spend £20 on beer & food just to watch a football match? Second it's £27 in the Riverside. Which cuts the cost by half. I know people want to go in the BBE for atmosphere, on the other hand I'm getting ready to move our lot into the Riverside because the view is substantially better.

This banning of Rovers matches could easily work against Rovers.

The club are well aware of that SG.

They had to make a decision - allow more and more fans to watch in the pub, or take the publicans to task.

They are doing the right thing IMO.

Laziness doesn't just extend to attending the match. Surely people can last a couple of hours without starving to death - if not, there are ways - sandwiches, soup in a flask - you can get containers these days to keep a pie hot, so take one with you. Oh, sorry, that would mean carrying something, hard that!

And it would be a useful exercise to cut down on the drink anyway! Oh, I know it's 'match experience' and all that, but how many of you have actually admitted on these very boards that at times you have been too drunk to watch a match - whatever point there is to that I've missed it!

The club are well aware of that SG.

They had to make a decision - allow more and more fans to watch in the pub, or take the publicans to task.

They are doing the right thing IMO.

It may be hypocritical but if they could let it be known they would only pursue legal action against those local establishments that showed home games while turning a blind eye to coverage of away games...no need to broadcast the information or too loud or anything like that ;)

Edited by FourLaneBlue

I feel the problem is Den there is absolutely no guarantee these folk will show at Ewood...Im afraid many are lapsed supporters.

It would only cause more to lapse if it carriees on though. Don't you think?

It may be hypocritical but if they could let it be known they would only pursue legal action against those local establishments that showed home games while turning a blind eye to coverage of away games...no need to broadcast the information or too loud or anything like that ;)

The club have been asked by some people to take that route.

they would have no credibility at all if they only wanted home games banned. Also, how many landlords would oblige? Not many I don't think.

Ah, the wonderful world of supply and demand. Many of the premier league clubs have reported an alarming drop in season ticket sales, not difficult to understand why is it ?

Even 'ordinary' players earn ludicrous wages these days, a news bulletin recently showed a players car park chocka with Ferraris, Astons, Porsches etc. For kicking a ball about ?

We know this is one of the richest leagues in the world, and today there is a real buzz for the start of a new campaign, but most fans are starting to vote with their feet. Fact is, the clubs will implode if the ever spiralling costs of pampering these pansies is again passed on to fans who can barely afford to get through the turnstiles, let alone buy anything in there or heaven forbid take their kids aswell.

Attendances falling year on year, costs increasing year on year. It's not complicated is it ? They'll have to screw more money from fewer people, and they have the bare faced cheek to have a go at someone for watching it in the pub.

The FA should look a bit closer to home.

Just get the boys in blue to batten charge the living daylights out of anyone watching in the pubs.........

TOUGH PROBLEMS CALL FOR HARSH MEASURES! :rover::tu:

Thats a bit harsh - eg today 's game its miles away and not easy to get to i will probably be watching it in the pub (i realise it was probably tongue in cheek)

The problem seems to be only in the Bolton/Blackburn area.

Pubs have been taken to court, but magistrates have cleared them. It seems to be a misruling by local magistrates.

Yeah it def happens in Bolton , but i'm sure it must happen in all parts of the country - most games are on dodgy channels every week

Edited by OJRovers

Ah, the wonderful world of supply and demand. Many of the premier league clubs have reported an alarming drop in season ticket sales, not difficult to understand why is it ?

Even 'ordinary' players earn ludicrous wages these days, a news bulletin recently showed a players car park chocka with Ferraris, Astons, Porsches etc. For kicking a ball about ?

We know this is one of the richest leagues in the world, and today there is a real buzz for the start of a new campaign, but most fans are starting to vote with their feet. Fact is, the clubs will implode if the ever spiralling costs of pampering these pansies is again passed on to fans who can barely afford to get through the turnstiles, let alone buy anything in there or heaven forbid take their kids aswell.

Attendances falling year on year, costs increasing year on year. It's not complicated is it ? They'll have to screw more money from fewer people, and they have the bare faced cheek to have a go at someone for watching it in the pub.

The FA should look a bit closer to home.

Spot on. I totally agree.

I priced today's game for myself and my two lads.

The cost was more than two weeks food budget, how the hell can I justify that to the wife, all for 90 minutes football.

Pure speculation from me on this particular point. It's generally regarded within the PL that events at Blackburn Rovers will be reflected at other clubs in one or two years. Equally Rovers are well regarded for their forward thinking in many areas. Rovers have been feeling the cold reality of attendances for a couple of seasons and there is now evidence this is happening for the majority of established PL clubs. Average attendances will probably increase this season or at least stand still because of increased capacity at OT and Arsenal. I predict now that come the end of the season, if one could adjust crowd figures to refelct increased capacity, the overall trend will be downward. I hear nothing but complaints from fans, I never hear anyone saying "Great we're going to start watching the PL live." Adding extra thousands at two grounds will merely skew the figures and allow the PL media machine to continue to churn out the usual tripe. Whatever the public stance the PL have a very serious issue to address on attendance, the person who can solve this will be worth a lot of money.

The relevance of the above is this; I would not be surprised to learn the FA, PL and Sky view Blackburn Rovers as a test case on this issue. All parties have serious interest in preventing illegal broadcasts, breach of copyright, etc. The reasons will differ but the interest remains mutual. I don't think Rovers and John Williams are standing alone on this, I'm positive the PL and FA are right behind the club and we will see action against local pubs.

B)-->

QUOTE(ste b @ Aug 19 2006, 01:58 ) 436513[/snapback]

Conversation in the pub tonight was more along the lines of that they wouldnt turn up for a home game even if it wasnt on tv because 1) its too expensive, 2) Would rather sit in pub all aft as cannot be arsed.

It is a pretty fair bet that every one of those advocating the 2) position are well overweight and heading for a heart attack.

I can just hear the scoffing replies to this as well: "oh testicals, you dont know what you're on about. I am fit as a fiddle" etc etc.

I'm playing devil's advocate here but the lapsed fans watching Rovers with half an eye on a foreign channel over a few beers in the pub and having a laugh with mates are actually supporting in a closer fashion to the Blackburn End terracing days of yore. The whole marketing of modern football has changed the experience for these fans - its like comparing the atmosphere at an early Stiff Little Fingers gig with Glyndebourne and wondering why those who used to go and enjoy the former won't pay through the nose to go to the latter!

Why one-size-fits-all and the anodyne, sanitised wholely family-friendly? Give young people what they want - check out the front of the V festivals on the telly today (less Keane more Kasabian though) :tu:

Stanley one day in the LT and the Rovers the next bemoaning falling support.

It isn't Satellite TV in Stanleys case and where Eric Whalley thinks we are going to magic up 5000 new supporters in this area God only knows.

But whilst Sat broadcasts do undeniably affect BRFC to an extent it is only a visible symptom of the malady .... it isn't the root of the problem.

Basically many of Joe Public are becoming bored of the recent Prem inspired trend of making football fashionable and sexy. We all know fashions come and go and the less committed camp followers are slowly but surely falling back to the level of interest they had pre Uncle Jack and leaving behind the die-hard BRFC addicts.

AND

There are simply and undeniably not enough of those! :(

AND

We all know that there is ony ONE answer in the long term don't we? ;)

BUT Getting people without vision to face that fact is like giving a sickly child bad tasting medicine. It's completely necessary to make them better and to grow big and strong and healthy so that they can stand on their own two feet ......... but they still try to spit it out.

........Dont YOU! ;)

Edited by thenodrog

I'm playing devil's advocate here but the lapsed fans watching Rovers with half an eye on a foreign channel over a few beers in the pub and having a laugh with mates are actually supporting in a closer fashion to the Blackburn End terracing days of yore. The whole marketing of modern football has changed the experience for these fans - its like comparing the atmosphere at an early Stiff Little Fingers gig with Glyndebourne and wondering why those who used to go and enjoy the former won't pay through the nose to go to the latter!

Why one-size-fits-all and the anodyne, sanitised wholely family-friendly? Give young people what they want - check out the front of the V festivals on the telly today (less Keane more Kasabian though) :tu:

Dont think the suits at the PL ever seen SLF ( shame KGH isnt on the 2006 tour ).

Well thougt point and I agree 100%

AND

We all know that there is ony ONE answer in the long term don't we? ;)

Yes . A return to lower attendance prices , more relative to income :)

If , as Paul says (with maybe a little inside knowledge :huh: ) , we see the Rovers and Sky clamping down on the local pubs it will be like the modern day equivelent of the Luddites. Trying to ban cross border TV transmissions is futile . Maybe they should stop selling their product to the Al Jazeeras of this world . Or would that cost them too much money ?

If , as Paul says (with maybe a little inside knowledge :huh: )

No, none at all. Pure speculation on my part, though I have been told other PL clubs do look closely at Rovers, hence my theorising.

Its interesting that in London it is nigh on impossible to find a pub with illegal satellite broadcasting.

That's surprising . The way the number of satellite channels are increasing , though , it can only be a matter of time before most people have access to all the dodgy channels at home or via the net . The prem have to cut off the scource or they're just pi$$ing in the wind in the long run . I have a mate , for eg , who watches some of the Rovers game on some Chinese station over the net ......not in English though .

Yes . A return to lower attendance prices , more relative to income :)

Indeed Phil. So please explain why I paid £15 for me and my lad last week and shared an embarrassing Ewood experience with about 5000 others. :angry: btw How much is it to watch Stanley?

Edited by thenodrog

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.