BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Killing Us!

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's surprising . The way the number of satellite channels are increasing , though , it can only be a matter of time before most people have access to all the dodgy channels at home or via the net . The prem have to cut off the scource or they're just pi$$ing in the wind in the long run . I have a mate , for eg , who watches some of the Rovers game on some Chinese station over the net ......not in English though .

It's not surprising. The police clamp down HARD on pubs that do it. If the police in Blackburn did it, there would be a similar result.

they would have no credibility at all if they only wanted home games banned. Also, how many landlords would oblige? Not many I don't think.

It seems they have no credibility at all as it is. Pubs continue to show games and nothing much is done about it. There obviously is a belief amond landlords that there is little risk in showing the games or at least not a significant enough risk to stop it and lose custom over it.

If , as Paul says (with maybe a little inside knowledge :huh: ) , we see the Rovers and Sky clamping down on the local pubs it will be like the modern day equivelent of the Luddites. Trying to ban cross border TV transmissions is futile . Maybe they should stop selling their product to the Al Jazeeras of this world . Or would that cost them too much money ?

That's the obvious course of action. How much would it cost them to stop selling the saturday 3.00pm matches? Surely it also cuts into Sky's number of subscribers as it seems all matches can be seen at many pubs.

On Saturday (like most) I worked, which makes it very restrictive to go to away games, I am a season ticket holder and have missed very few home games in the last 15+ seasons. I managed to travel to all away games for nearly 3 full seasons and do still visit a couple of away games every season now. Mainly down to work but costs do come into it.

On Saturday Afternoon (after reading this thread), I headed to Ewood to have a few beers and on the off chance Rovers been on to watch the game. This has worked in the past.

At 15.05 my usual first stop had its door shut, so I moved on and then visited 2 more establishments having a beer in both but no football. In both pubs people where complaining that the landlords had bowed to "Rovers" pressure and refused to show the game. Both pubs where quiet. In these pubs a lot of anger was directed towards Rovers. I then visited a third which was showing football (Arsenal v Aston Villa), no quite what was wanted but it passed the afternoon.

My points are:-

I would quite gladly pay (pub or Rovers) to watch an away game I cannot make.

Rovers seemed to get a lot of stick regarding this.

I accept that a lot of people complaining they couldn't watch the game in the pub may not even go on Ewood when it’s a home game.

I also accept that financial agreements are in place, but with technology today, live matches been more accessible it seems a shame that because I can't make an away game, I can't see it.

Maybe some "gentleman's agreement" could be come up with that Rovers where less strict about away games if the landlords refused to show the home games.

I wonder whether the club have thought about showing away games live at the ground. Newcastle show (none Sky)games in their bars - the clubs have the right to do this so why not make some money out of it.

They have done, but as to do it legally they would have to do it on beamback rather than "dodgy sky", the costs are into 5 figures.. meaning we would probably need a good couple of thousand to make it viable.

I wonder whether the club have thought about showing away games live at the ground. Newcastle show (none Sky)games in their bars - the clubs have the right to do this so why not make some money out of it.

i'm suprised rovers dont allow 'blues bar' to screen some away games.

You dont need dodgy sky to watch EVERY premiership game.

All you have to do is pay #105.00 for an Arabic digital tv decoder (obtainable almost everywhere if the right question is asked) and then employ a tv engineer to tune in the sat dish.

Every EPL game is available as they broadcast EVERY game.

For instance tonight, both games are being shown.

On Wednesday every match is available at no other cost.

Even the PPv games that we pay extra for are available on the same channels.

But it's still illegal to broadcast this to the public (just as it is a different fee for sky tv in a pub than at home) and doesn't explain why pubs in London and the West Midlands have been cracked down on and pubs in Blackburn and Bolton continue to show games.

Although it's only a short term fix, how many fans who would normally watch Rovers at home would return to the ground? 500, 1000? Not even that?

i spoke to an ex season ticket holder today, who lives 5 mins walk from a well known boozer (that shall remain nameless) in Clatyon le moors.

He gave his and his other 3 season tickets up 2 years ago and walked on the games he fancied the last 2 seasons- I asked him if he was going on wednesday and his reply was

"im going down the pub, i watched pompey away there and i can watch every single rovers game down there too- i have 4 pints, spend a tenner, have the crack with the boys and stroll home. I prefer doing this than paying £35 to que up in traffic for an hour after the game!"

now i know all the arguments about him not being a proper fan etc, and i agree, i could never not have a season ticket- but Rovers need these floaters badly and it looks like for the future they are not going to come back to Ewood.

:(

But it's still illegal to broadcast this to the public (just as it is a different fee for sky tv in a pub than at home) and doesn't explain why pubs in London and the West Midlands have been cracked down on and pubs in Blackburn and Bolton continue to show games.

Although it's only a short term fix, how many fans who would normally watch Rovers at home would return to the ground? 500, 1000? Not even that?

Yes, it is illegal for public broadcast. But not in my house. :D

Here in Italy the costs for a season are as follows:

€310 for Inter season ticket (Sector247)

€32 for the first three champions league games

€199 for a 12 months subscription to the 'calcio' channels

There are 15 calcio channels which show:

Nearly every Serie A match - big games on the 16:9 channel.

Every Premiership match

Big Budesliga, La Liga and Ligue 1 matches.

So to watch all the Inter away games and ALL Rovers games from my sofa is £134

To watch all the Inter home games is £210

Total: £344

My friends in Blackburn want me to text them with updates from the game!

Edited by InterRovers

and here...

we pay an average of say 450 for our season ticket at Ewood

we pay an average of say 480 for our sky tv package PLUS 50 quid for the season ticket for ppv

so thats a cool 1000 approx for that privilige :angry:

then lets add our beer, our big eats, travel costs, programmes and shirts and we see just how much we fans get ripped for over the year.

I am just glad my wife is crap at maths !!! :P

and here...

we pay an average of say 450 for our season ticket at Ewood

we pay an average of say 480 for our sky tv package PLUS 50 quid for the season ticket for ppv

so thats a cool 1000 approx for that privilige :angry:

then lets add our beer, our big eats, travel costs, programmes and shirts and we see just how much we fans get ripped for over the year.

I am just glad my wife is crap at maths !!! :P

Does she ever log on here?

My friends in Blackburn want me to text them with updates from the game!

Why ?

If they live in Blackburn, they can listen to match commentary in local radio or radio rovers. They can get up to the minut scores and action on the official rovers web site, the bbc web site and this message board.

Better still they could go to the game.

Why ?

If they live in Blackburn, they can listen to match commentary in local radio or radio rovers. They can get up to the minut scores and action on the official rovers web site, the bbc web site and this message board.

Better still they could go to the game.

They do go to the home games, I should have specified the away games I'm mainly sending them updates for. I guess they enjoy it a bit more than for instance the BBC's bland match updates:

"63:53

Foul by Lucas Neill (Blackburn) on Nwankwo Kanu (Portsmouth). Lucas Neill (Blackburn) dismissed for second bookable offence. Indirect free kick taken right-footed by Glen Johnson (Portsmouth) from own half, passed."

Let's just say that when Lucas was sent off I was a bit more explicit and scathing...

The other thing is that all the above places have a Rovers bias, the Italian commentators generally are fair with their observations, so quite often they are asking what the Italians made of it.

i think the pubs should be sensible about this and come together and say they are not going to show Blackburn games that are at ewood park (like the everton game tonight). I have no problem in them showing away games though

Why would they do that though? It is in their interests to show these games because they know people will come to thier pub, watch the footy and drink their beer. They've found a way to fill their pub every other saturday (or sunday or whenever), it's going to take a big incentive for them to stop.

i spoke to an ex season ticket holder today, who lives 5 mins walk from a well known boozer (that shall remain nameless) in Clatyon le moors.

He gave his and his other 3 season tickets up 2 years ago and walked on the games he fancied the last 2 seasons- I asked him if he was going on wednesday and his reply was

"im going down the pub, i watched pompey away there and i can watch every single rovers game down there too- i have 4 pints, spend a tenner, have the crack with the boys and stroll home. I prefer doing this than paying £35 to que up in traffic for an hour after the game!"

now i know all the arguments about him not being a proper fan etc, and i agree, i could never not have a season ticket- but Rovers need these floaters badly and it looks like for the future they are not going to come back to Ewood.

:(

I would say that this is not the fault of Rovers though, as it will happen all over the country.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.