BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Three Cheers For John Williams

Sorry blue phil, but "supporters" like you aren't what is needed. We need fans who care enough to at least go to the game and not the pub. Can't hear your shouts from where you sit.

I would mind less if people went to a pub that was legally showing Sky because at least that is not illegal. The joke is that the pubs in Blackburn are not seeing any muslim visitors but last I heard watching football was not against the tenets of islam - unlike alcohol.

So I'm more than happy to see anyone extra coming to Ewood, hence the reason for this topic, that being support for John Williams in dropping prices.

Sorry , but supporters like me are just what the Rovers need .......or maybe I should not renew the three season tickets I currently pay for ?

You also misunderstand me if you think I wouldn't welcome more supporters into Ewood . I certainly would and have put forward a few ideas myself (if you've followed the thread you'd know that )

With regard to the Asians I'm just being realistic . They don't come in any significant numbers ....nor are there any real signs that they will do so in the forseeable future . Wishful thinking doesn't get us anywhere .

With regard to the pubs and the chronic financial state they find themselves in in today's "multi" cultural Blackburn , I'll continue to support them whenever I choose ......(particularly when Rovers are away - as if Colin didn't know that already !)

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't understand all this "We need to attract Asian supporters" rubbish?

What we need to do is just attract the so called Rovers supporters who saw fit to attend in the mid 90's but deserted the club once the chance of league titles disappeared over the horizon. You've more chance of attracting lost fans than new fans in my opinion.

But like a mate of mine says "I can sit where I want, get a pie and pint, and not have to worry about tickets" long live 20k gates!

Man Utd make a reported 2 MILLION from gate reciepts every game,can you realistically see the likes of them,Arsenal and Chelsea dropping their prices? <_<

I say again,all eyes will be on Ewood park attendances next season if Rovers do significantly drop the prices,if the Blackburn public fail to respond it will be classed as nothing more than a failure and waste of time....the rags will be waiting,knives at the ready no doubt.

Missed that somehow TND

Now it is getting spooky - too much people agreeing with you now :D

As for the away support - do you mean in football in general or just the Rovers home and away?

The supporters of all Prem clubs willing previously to travel to other grounds has diminished and will continue to do so imo.

Man Utd make a reported 2 MILLION from gate reciepts every game,can you realistically see the likes of them,Arsenal and Chelsea dropping their prices? <_<

I say again,all eyes will be on Ewood park attendances next season if Rovers do significantly drop the prices,if the Blackburn public fail to respond it will be classed as nothing more than a failure and waste of time....the rags will be waiting,knives at the ready no doubt.

SG194 I think United, Arsenal and Chelsea underestimate the rest of the Premiership's value to them. If the other 17 clubs plus the Football League all dropped their prices and then kicked up a fuss and threatened to boycott their games if they didn't drop their prices, I'm sure they'd consider lowering them ever so slightly! :tu:

It certainly would be interesting in this scenario. If every club surrendered their three points against Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea by NOT TURNING UP, maybe just maybe they would begin to think that the big three aren't actually bigger than the rest of the Premiership combined.

I don't believe that the big clubs are objecting to price reductions. The barrier is coming from some of the smaller clubs, or so a little bird tells me ......

By the way Blue Phil, apologies, but it didn't sound like you contributed anything the way you originally responded.

We do need to attract as many supporters as we can to the ground and I do know a number of people who just can't afford to come along.

I don't believe that the big clubs are objecting to price reductions. The barrier is coming from some of the smaller clubs, or so a little bird tells me ......

No need to apologise ....no-one else ever does ... :)

Care to elabarate on your comments above .... I seem to recall that it was Wigan who started the ball rolling a month or so ago with big reductions in prices . Maybe it's a case of the other smaller clubs waiting to see how our moves turn out .

If we do get crowds up significantly (however you choose to define that) then the rest will have to follow (IMO) . The big clubs will take a lot longer , of course , but we shouldn't worry about them ....they're in the stratosphere while we're stuck on the ground I'm afraid .

One upside of price reductions is that more away fans will be willing to come to Ewood . Makes for a better atmosphere if nothing else ....as well as fewer home fans needed to fill the ground . The ideal solution would be to charge them more than our own fans ...which , given that the Darwen End is the away end , is not possible under Prem rules . Maybe a way could be found to offer fans of the BBE , through membership schemes or some such ruse , a means of ticket price reduction whilst still keeping the price at the same (artificial) level for the travellers ....

Just thinking off the top of my head here ...but if the BBE could be filled with season ticket holders (ie , with prices at a very attractive price for this end ) then this might leave it possible to charge the away fans more on match days - especially for the bigger clubs . Not sure how the Prem rules fit in here ....

I wish I could quote my source but it is a highly reliable one and it was that the objections were coming from a few of the smaller clubs. Which they are I have no idea.

Given the experience against Bolton dropping prices for away fans does work (bear in mind the poor travelling ttendance from previous games). I also think it is only equitable to treat the visitors the same as the home fans.

I also think it is only equitable to treat the visitors the same as the home fans.

I don't ! I can understand the argument of balancing income with a higher level of support with regards to the home fans ...but definitely not the away fans . Maximise the revenue in their case . That's what they do with us .....How much is it at Chelsea next week ?

I don't ! I can understand the argument of balancing income with a higher level of support with regards to the home fans ...but definitely not the away fans . Maximise the revenue in their case . That's what they do with us .....How much is it at Chelsea next week ?

I think there are more expensive home seats than £48 at Chelsea

The ideal solution would be to charge them more than our own fans ...which , given that the Darwen End is the away end , is not possible under Prem rules . Maybe a way could be found to offer fans of the BBE , through membership schemes or some such ruse , a means of ticket price reduction whilst still keeping the price at the same (artificial) level for the travellers ....

Just thinking off the top of my head here ...but if the BBE could be filled with season ticket holders (ie , with prices at a very attractive price for this end ) then this might leave it possible to charge the away fans more on match days - especially for the bigger clubs . Not sure how the Prem rules fit in here ....

The first idea is similar to "one united"

The second idea is the same as Charlton's covered end - comparable to Jimmy Seed away end

Both Ive been banging on about for a while!

I think John Williams' piece in the Annual Report is worth reproducing in this thread:

"For us to finish 6th was a great achievement. We have, to some extent, bucked the 'Big City' trend. Maintaining it is of course another matter.

Despite the European success we are currently 16th in the League and will need to improve in the New Year to ensure we move up the League to maximise our revenue. (this was written before Christmas)

The new television deal kicks in from July 2007 and it potentially transforms our business. Turnover of £40m+ could increase to £50m+. This would enable us to better service our debt and invest in the team. It will depend, however, on our ability to maintain wages around the current level, in which case the percentage (of wages as a proportion of turnover) will fall from the somewhat unhealthy 75-80% to a more sensible 65%.

Of course this will depend in turn on what the other 19 clubs do. Whilst we are a separate business responsible for our own affairs, we are not an island. We are part of, and subject to, the trends and dynamics of the league as a whole.

Whatever happens, we want to be part of the best football league in the world come August 2007.

I remain convinced that the distribution formula for TV revenues needs to be re-examined. There is absolutely no conflict between the forces of the free market (clearly in evidence at the top end) and a policy to redistribute in a fashion which will help the clubs with smaller fan bases and turnovers. At a time when everyone can name the top four, it would be a crying shame if the League were to lose the diversity offered by smaller town clubs. Even within the free market the League should embrace the virtues such diversity brings.

Falling attendances remain a big issue for Rovers. I have said before this is a complex multi-faceted problem. Price, kick-off times, predictable results, television coverage (in the pubs and at home) all play a part. Some fans who have no issue with price as such have started to question value.

Keeping it simple, the Board believes prices at Ewood need to come down if we are to retain (let alone grow) crowds. Live football is always the best and persuading the fans of this is one of our biggest challenges. We already offer some of the cheapest seats in the League but unless we can drive volume alongside lowering the price we will find ourselves financially disadvantaged and this will impact on our ability to compete. If we have to cut back on costs, there is realistically only one place we can go- the playing squad."

Falling attendances remain a big issue for Rovers. I have said before this is a complex multi-faceted problem. Price, kick-off times, predictable results, television coverage (in the pubs and at home) all play a part. Some fans who have no issue with price as such have started to question value.

Excellent summary from JW - I have always felt that the key bit is value.

Price - Within Rovers gift albeit constrained to a degree by Premier League stance.

Kick-off times - Down to Sky and they pay the most so little or no choice there.

Predictable results - Down to the team but also down to a rebalancing of the funds from the top 4.

Television coverage - The legal stuff from Sky has to stay but time to take legal action against the illegal screenings.

I believe that it would be a strong signal that the fans coming into the ground matter if the clubs reduce the cost which is very high now. The rest is about making the match-day experience as good as possible.

The supporters of all Prem clubs willing previously to travel to other grounds has diminished and will continue to do so imo.

Roversider Jan 26 2007, 18:07 Post #84

3rd Division

Group: Members

Member No.: 4515

Given the experience against Bolton dropping prices for away fans does work (bear in mind the poor travelling ttendance from previous games). I also think it is only equitable to treat the visitors the same as the home fans.

Thanks TND - I think more or less everybody holds that viewpoint - the above point fromRoversider above is more in line with the point I was trying to make.

The perfect example being BOLTON'S FOLLOWING this season at Ewood , but then you have the likes of Citeh/ Everton also who didn't sell out this season yet normally do.

As I mentioned price is a part of the package and probably the biggest issue but its everything together that creates the problem.

Therefore , by doing one thing will not bring results overnight but it might start to brings things into line and help towards getting other ' problem areas' being challenged and rectified

Sorry , but supporters like me are just what the Rovers need .......or maybe I should not renew the three season tickets I currently pay for ?

You also misunderstand me if you think I wouldn't welcome more supporters into Ewood . I certainly would and have put forward a few ideas myself (if you've followed the thread you'd know that )

With regard to the Asians I'm just being realistic . They don't come in any significant numbers ....nor are there any real signs that they will do so in the forseeable future . Wishful thinking doesn't get us anywhere .

With regard to the pubs and the chronic financial state they find themselves in in today's "multi" cultural Blackburn , I'll continue to support them whenever I choose ......(particularly when Rovers are away - as if Colin didn't know that already !)

its great phil,I know how you feel maty.I got slagged offf for not ATTENDING GAMES.You shouldnt have to explain yourself but here goes...season ticket holder since 1970 ,my youngest has had one since he was 3 as well.In the 80/90's ,like Jordan < i went years ( about 7 ) without missing a game (maybe an odd one here and ther) I lost three jobs in doing so as well.They wer egood days beer all day and a bit of crack jobs a good un.Then I had kids and a mortgage and stuff and the away days dwindled as the cost rose(((WHEN WE GOT PROMOTED MY SEASON TICKET IN THE SECOND DIVISON WAS £35 AND WHEN WE PLAYED IN THE PREM WE STOOD UP AND IT WAS £75)).Since then I see my boys every fortnight and as one isnt a footy fan it makes it nigh impossible to get away games in.Home games I can get someone to look after him for a few hours but if my weekends when I have them clash with an away game am I supposed to make him stay at home and lose quality time with him,taht would make a great dad..............

So according to someon herre if you dont go to EVERY GAME HOME AND AWAY ,YOU DONT ATTEND MATCHES.HOME GAMES MUSNT COUNT .

I see Jack Straw raised the issue of tkt prices yesterday in the house of commons, apparently not to happy at the £48 he paid at Chelsea the other night (anybody see him?)

He said that Rovers were leading the way by raising the issue of using the extra income next season to reduce tkt prices.

He called on other premiership clubs to do the same.

Look north west will be showing and discussing it on tonight's show.

SG194 I think United, Arsenal and Chelsea underestimate the rest of the Premiership's value to them. If the other 17 clubs plus the Football League all dropped their prices and then kicked up a fuss and threatened to boycott their games if they didn't drop their prices, I'm sure they'd consider lowering them ever so slightly! :tu:

It certainly would be interesting in this scenario. If every club surrendered their three points against Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea by NOT TURNING UP, maybe just maybe they would begin to think that the big three aren't actually bigger than the rest of the Premiership combined.

Coming back to this as its a good point by IHB which got me to thinking - but not so much on the forfeiting of the 3 pts but possible boycotting by the fans (which some are starting to do anyway) if the g4 for example refuse to lower their prices

Don't know how it would work or the legality/powers of the Premier League to enforce but say outside of the top 4 the other clubs fall into line and decide to lower their prices in a cartel sort of way ie all charge the same in an agreement yet when the top 4 come to town whack the prices up yet the home fans still get it at the reduced prices. Now as you well may think this is not to dissimilar to what happens now re categorised games, the difference being that the home fans still pay reduced prices.

Would the clubs outside th g4 be prepared to gamble on losing the larger away followings of the g4's, would the fans of the g4's stay away - would the fans outside of the G4 be prepared to 'not attend' the away g4 games?

Obviously it all depends on what the prices where/are going to be and its only an hypothetical example - interesting though do you not think?

I reckon we should have 4 different categorys as in age groups:-

Adults

Seniors

Young Adults

Juniors

I know we currently have this Young Adult Membership but i know alot of lads my age (19) that can't be asked paying a tenner and filling in a form, they just want to get to the ticket office and buy a Young Adult ticket like Reading do.

I reckon we should have 4 different categorys as in age groups:-

Adults

Seniors

Young Adults

Juniors

I know we currently have this Young Adult Membership but i know alot of lads my age (19) that can't be asked paying a tenner and filling in a form, they just want to get to the ticket office and buy a Young Adult ticket like Reading do.

They shouldn't be so lazy:P

Seriously, I think its more of a case so that they can guarantee the people who are buying young adult tickets are young adults. We got away with getting junior tickets for years, it'd be even harder to prove someone is/is not a young adult.

They shouldn't be so lazy:P

Seriously, I think its more of a case so that they can guarantee the people who are buying young adult tickets are young adults. We got away with getting junior tickets for years, it'd be even harder to prove someone is/is not a young adult.

No blackburn dont do it for that reason. The reason they do it is so that they dont have to offer similar student tickets to away supporters in the Darwen end. The membership means that, young people/students have to pay full price. Alot of clubs do that with regular tickets, so that a similar home end is cheaper then the away end because of the membership scheme.

No blackburn dont do it for that reason. The reason they do it is so that they dont have to offer similar student tickets to away supporters in the Darwen end. The membership means that, young people/students have to pay full price. Alot of clubs do that with regular tickets, so that a similar home end is cheaper then the away end because of the membership scheme.

Take students out BRFC.

Its Young Adults.

Students over the age of 21 do not qualify for the discounted membership or season ticket price.

Archived