BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Help A Hammer! Information About Your Team

Hello all

A West Ham fan here looking forward to the trip up on Saturday. I also write a match preview for a West Ham site and wanted to tap you up for some info. If you wouldn't mind taking a look at the following:-

1. Who have been your best and worst players this season?

2. Were you happy with the January transfer window activity? Anyone else you'd realistically liked to have signed?

3. What are the strengths and weaknesses of Shabani Nonda?

4. Who's going to play in the Savage / Mokoena role on Saturday?

5. What's been the highlight of this season so far?

Please feel free to answer as few or as many as you can. Please don't worry about giving away any inside information as we wouldn't have a clue what to do with it anyway.

And best of luck for the cup, hope you win the semi at least 6-0, whichever set of scumbags you have to play.

Cheers

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello all

A West Ham fan here looking forward to the trip up on Saturday. I also write a match preview for a West Ham site and wanted to tap you up for some info. If you wouldn't mind taking a look at the following:-

2. Were you happy with the January transfer window activity? Anyone else you'd realistically liked to have signed?

Please feel free to answer as few or as many as you can. Please don't worry about giving away any inside information as we wouldn't have a clue what to do with it anyway.

And best of luck for the cup, hope you win the semi at least 6-0, whichever set of scumbags you have to play.

Cheers

1. McCarthy best player, cant really say we've had a bad player this year, but we do have a few who blow hot and cold

2. Replacing Lucash "Beckenbauer" Neill with Samba and Warnock looks to be a masterstroke. Since this, we've been very solid at the back.

3. His strength seems to be an ability to score from difficult chances, but the weakness is his inability to take simple ones.

4. David Dunn and Tugay will be in centre midfield.

5. Beating Arsenal in the cup and Krakow away so far, but hopefully theres more heights to come. Plus the opportunity to sing "were going to wembley.. youre going to burn-e-ley" to Lucas on saturday could be fun.

The best player (in my opinion) have been David Bentley without a doubt. McCarthy has scored but his workrate isnt brilliant. The worst was probably Mokoena until recently. Jeffers was pretty awful aswel.

Very happy with the outcome of the transfer window. I was dissapointed at first but Samba is a real find and Dunn seems to be getting back to fitness. Since then weve hardly conceeded so can hardly complain.

Shabani Nonda? Why do you want to know about him? His strengs seem to be holding the ball up, anticipating and making the most of mistakes a la Portsmouth. His weak points a lack of pace.

Is mokoena suspended? If so Dunn and Tugay will start in midfield. If either of them gets injured were looking flimsy.

Hmm the highlight of the season has to be beating arsenal in the cup. The UEFA cup was a nice journey aswel although we should have beaten leverkusen. The partnership of Samba and Nelsen has been a real highlight and also how quickly Benni has settled into the prem.

Prediction 3-1 to blackburn. McCarthy, Pedersen, Bentley, Tevez

B)-->

QUOTE(Ste B @ Mar 12 2007, 20:13 ) 498206[/snapback]
Plus the opportunity to sing "were going to wembley.. youre going to burn-e-ley" to Lucas on saturday could be fun.

La la la lah, la la lah..... :lol:

Sorry upton, without doubt you lot and Mikloslo in particular did us a great service in 95 but the way the club and 'Elmer Fudd' are irresponsibly paying Neill and Upson sums totally in disproportion to their abilities and screwing the entire Prem market up ensures that WHU will be the most popular candidates for relegation since LUFC.

Hello all

Cheers

Question 4 is quite strange....

although he's been playing recently due to injuries, i'd say Chrissy Nonda is now 4th choice striker. He's alright but a bit like Andy Cole in that he seems to miss a shed load of sitters and then pops up with a corker!

Out of interest...a few seasons ago a seem to remember something about 'West ham Lass'....is she still doing the rounds?

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ste B @ Mar 12 2007, 20:13 ) 498206[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Plus the opportunity to sing "were going to wembley.. youre going to burn-e-ley" to Lucas on saturday could be fun.

La la la lah, la la lah..... :lol:

Sorry upton, without doubt you lot and Mikloslo in particular did us a great service in 95 but the way the club and 'Elmer Fudd' are irresponsibly paying Neill and Upson sums totally in disproportion to their abilities and screwing the entire Prem market up ensures that WHU will be the most popular candidates for relegation since LUFC.

I hear what you are saying, fella and I am totally against the idea of buying succeess. However, Mr Magnusson owns a business which if it had been able to survive relegation would have seen an income increase of £30m next year. Therefore, he has risked £20m (albeit in a rather daft way) to stay up. We had to pay big to get players to come to us.

However, the fault, if you like, is with Sky and player power, we are just six months ahead (you all be at it next season).

I wish we could follow your example and not have to waste money on overrated players salaries and be able to reduce entrance fees but it wasn't to be.

Who have been your best and worst players this season?

Instead of best player, I would tend to nominate Bert (Emerton) as our most consistent player this season. He’s twice the player, his twin Bret was. Worst player, The Artist formally known as Pedersen, who has been a bit inconsistent, great free kicks – poor corners.

Were you happy with the January transfer window activity?

Yes, getting a proper left back, thanks for helping us finance the Warnock acquisition. Plus Another surprise signing by Hughes, in the form of Samba.

Anyone else you'd realistically liked to have signed?

In hind sight cover for the injured Reed.

What are the strengths and weaknesses of Shabani Nonda?

Strengths – holds the ball up well, weakness – cant seem to form a partnership with Benni.

Who's going to play in the Savage / Mokoena role on Saturday?

Either Dunn and Tugay or Tugay and Dunn.

What's been the highlight of this season so far?

Wengers face when Benni scored in the dieing minutes to knock Arsenal out of the cup. Priceless :lol:

Question 4 is quite strange....

although he's been playing recently due to injuries, i'd say Chrissy Nonda is now 4th choice striker. He's alright but a bit like Andy Cole in that he seems to miss a shed load of sitters and then pops up with a corker!

Out of interest...a few seasons ago a seem to remember something about 'West ham Lass'....is she still doing the rounds?

I was enquiring about Nonda as he's kept Benni out the side for a few games but I didn't know much about him. Derbyshire has a good reputation as a bit of a prospect as well.

West Ham lass has put her clothes on and disappeared to (I guess) another Championship team. The idea was a nice one but she was no oil painting. Maybe we could get Zamora's missus to take the job for our next promotion push.

Best players this season have been Brad, Tugay, Derbyshire, Bentley, Emerton and McCarthy, even when he's not playing well he's scoring. Samba's been immense since he came in, and Warnock looks good too.

Worst players - Lucas Neill :D Pedersen's been inconsitent, and even Bentley is going through a relative slump. Mokoena would have been in this list but he's started playing really well and won't be a factor anyway.

As for January, I was a bit miffed at first, I thought we'd go for another midfielder, but Sparky looks like he's done it again, Samba and Warnock look the real deal, and Dunn is starting to show why he was considered a shoe-in for the next big thing at one point.

Nonda's strengths are his ability to hold the ball up and a good workrate. His weaknesses are a lack of confidence in front of goal and a tendancy to be blinkered on it, something that worked when he was one of the paciest players about, but isn't too good now. His heading accuracy is not the best either, which is a shame. He's improving a bit, though. I would be very surprised if he features, I suspect we'll see Roberts in front of him in the pecking order on the run in.

It'll be a Tugay and Dunn midfield as mentioned above. Don't be surprised if Peter comes on again and Bentley moves to the centre later in the game, with Tugay taken off. I though Derbs did well in there as well on Saturday, even though it was tough as he's a bit lightweight.

Highlight of the season has to be Benni's goal against Arsenal. What a feeling. Derbs second on Saturday comes close, though.

Best player has to be Benni McCarthy but David Bentleys close too, i think Benni doesn't work hard enough but as he's scored the goals nobody has been on his back.

Bit dissapointed with Lucas leaving as he was a great servant for the club, worked really hard even though he wanted to leave. But great buys with Warnock and Samba, quality signings.

Well his strengths are that he takes his oppurtunities when we don't expect him to and his weaknesses are that he doesn't work hard enough and he doesn' have alot of pace which is really important for a striker in this league.

David Dunn and Tugay.

Beating Arsenal in the FA Cup and beating Liverpool at Ewood. Sheffield United was ok too as the winner was in the very last minute of stoppage time.

Well, for me it's been this 6' 5" 17 stone central defender called Chris Samba come from Hertha Berlin. Goodness knows where Hughes spotted him or why on earth he saw in him what he did.

Samba has just been so much entertainment, opposition attackers just ping off him like five year olds off a bouncy castle. He's built like the proverbial brick *ahem* brick outhouse, but he can play too.

Makes me smile every time I see him. Such a pity that Paul Dickov wasn't fit for the cup match against City yesterday. That would have been a delight to watch.

Who have been your best and worst players this season?

All the players have been inconsistent apart from Big Brad who is having a magnificent season. Tugay is having a glorious season as playmaker extraordinaire and young Derbyshire is a totally unexpected bonus. Bentley is doing better than I dared hope and Emerton's switch to right back has been a masterstroke by Hughes. Quite a few players have had personal nightmares in individual games and in the case of Pedersen that extended for half a season. But nothing really to complain about.

Were you happy with the January transfer window activity?

Yes, Samba is fantastic and Warnock is a big improvement on Lucash (I was a big fan but five goals on average every season were down to him switching off- if he ever plays for you long enough, watch for the unmarked forward's run, the he's behind you free 6 yard header and the oops, where did you come from penalty concession.) Berner looks to be decent cover as well.

The big signing was Dunn who is going to be a fantastic addition.

Anyone else you'd realistically liked to have signed?

Cannot say any of the January transfer window signings for any other club make me feel "we should have gone for him." Hopefully get Bellamey back this summer.

What are the strengths and weaknesses of Shabani Nonda?

Not convinced by Nonda. Has astonishing control and ability to get the shot away but the concept of defending from the front is not mastered.

Who's going to play in the Savage / Mokoena role on Saturday?

Tugay and Dunn. If you have an animal in the middle of the park, he could disrupt those two and cause us problems.

What's been the highlight of this season so far?

Having a good UEFA Cup run (at last). Sorry- sore subject for you guys (amongst others)

I dont know why everybody is opting for Mokoena's replacement as a Dunn/ Tugay combination. If we need a defensive midfielder in front of the back 4 it will probably be Berner. He is a defensive midfielder the other two are not.

All the other questions have been answered adequately and need no repetition from me.

Guest shoppybrfc
Hello all

BEST - Emerton / Samba / Warnock / McCarthy.

WORST The only one that sticks out is Roberts - No goals, played more minutes then Franny Jeffers and people still say he will come good. Not good enough for a team aiming to be a permanent top 6 side. Rather the money had been saved for buying Nonda.

Quite happy with the transfer window although a midfielder who isnt a sicknote would have been nice, and Roberts being sent out on a loan would have been good.

Nonda has the best Minutes per Goal ratio in the Prem out of all our strikers. Yet some dont want him to stay, hes done remarkable well considering prior to joining Rovers he hasnt played many games since that Injury which nealy took his knee off in 2004.

Strength - Holds up the ball well, links the play, has a habit of scoring goals which he looks like no chance of scoring. Scored more goals then Roberts.

Weaknesses - His pace since his career theatening injury has all but gone, has missed a few sitters ( not as many as people make out ) but hes looked more confident lately. Hughes didnt pay £2million for him, so fans will always look for the negatives in a loan signing who isnt technically our own player.

It'll be Dunn and Tugay most likely.

Seeing 'Big club' West ham spiral towards the fizzy pop league.

P/S Harewood is the new Michael Ricketts :D

Cheers

I was enquiring about Nonda as he's kept Benni out the side for a few games but I didn't know much about him.

McCarthy was rested rather than forced out of the side. He has never been used to playing at the pace of the Premiership for so long.

Best - David Bentley. He's been a real revelation at Ewood, he's a key figure in our attack, creates and scores goal, and can beat a player or two on his way. Benni McCarthy deserves a mention too ofcourse.

We strengthened the right area I believe when we got a great CB with Samba. We needed a central mid too, and while it was great to get Dunny back, he has some way to go before he's back to his best too. But I guess I was content with it.

He's actually a great goal scorer, agile and knows the back of the net...but maybe he hasn't adapted to our style perfectly yet.

Dunn/Tugay is our one and only option.

Last week. Securing a place in the semi-finals of the FA cup was massive, and we had one heck of a road to get there.

For the prem - probably beating Liverpool 1-0 at Ewood. Not a bad uefa cup run either.

:rover: fair play to the west ham fan for having the balls to come on here,he has got off lightly,i for one can't wait to see lucas neill[football hooligan] get jeered by most roverite's.whilst i will clap the lad,for the 5 great years he gave us. :brfc:

I dont know why everybody is opting for Mokoena's replacement as a Dunn/ Tugay combination. If we need a defensive midfielder in front of the back 4 it will probably be Berner. He is a defensive midfielder the other two are not.

All the other questions have been answered adequately and need no repetition from me.

I'd forgotten all about Berner. Good call, Fife.

Hello all

Benni and Bentley have been the best, although there have been some other good performers. Worst is a tough one as I don't think anyone has had a horrible season, but I might give it to MGP as he has not followed on from last season as we would have hoped. Maybe to Neill for buggering off for more money.

I would have liked to have seen another central midfielder brought in, but other than that I think we did quite well.

He has great ability and strength as well as a bit of pace. He has scored some good goals but seems to miss a fair amount of chances. It seems to just depend on the day and if we get lucky we get the Nonda from Monaco and if we don't we get the Nonda post injury.

No one I would think. We'll have to play Dunn and Tugay and have a very attacking and creative midfield.

I think everyone enjoyed the UEFA Cup run, although that didn't last as long as we would have wanted so I wouldn't pick that. The recent win over Arsenal in the FA Cup gave us real hope of making it to Wembley and a return to Europe next season, so I'd probably go for that.

Cheers

Samba, McCarthy and Derbyshire have all been exceptional.

Ooijer has been unconvincing, while Gray and Nonda (see question 3) have been miserable failures.

retrospectively speaking... yes!

Dunn's fitness is improving and he's showing glimpses of his former-self, Warnock is settling down, and Samba has been a revelation.

i'dve liked to see Koumas coming in, but WBA were never going to allow him to leave (as they need him for the promotion push). so, for now, we'll keep the money in our coffers and then use it to purchase a cut-price Dean Ashton, in the summer. :lol:

His only strength.... is his strength. I'd rather pick a cardboard cut-out, than him.

collins' dictionary definition describes nonda perfectly:

inept :- adj. 2. awkward, clumsy or incompetent.

Dunn, or if he's not fit - Bentley.

There's been a few, but Benni's goal against arsenal will take some beating.

No one has been far and away the best for me, unlike Bellamy and Nelsen last season, so I would say its a five way tie between Brad, Tugay, Bentley, Emerton and McCarthy. On top of that Dunn, Samba, Nelsen, Warnock, Derbyshire have all looked good. Worst player is difficult as the only two real underperformenrs - Pedersen and Mokoena - have had outstanding games over the last two months. Roberts hasn't done much but then he has hardly played.

We have done outstandingly well. Dunn is potentially a world class midfielder if he stays fit, and we seem to be winning that battle. How we got Samba for 400k is anyones guess, he has been sensational, Warnock has been excellent too. On the face of it it looked a little disappointing but we have come out really well.

I would have liked to see another central midfielder signed to cover the injured Savage as Mokoena filled me with little confidence. We didn't but thankfully the South African has found another level.

Well I will be suprised if he plays against you as he is currently behind McCarthy, Derbs and Roberts in the pecking order. Clearly is a good player but cannot find his feet in the Premeirship consistently.

Dunn will do it but more in the Savage "headless chicken" fashion than in Mokoena's more composed approach. Actually Dunn has been very impressive in his workrate. I was worried that he was going to be a bit of a showpony but he has really knuckled down and actuallty looks a viable central midfielder.

McCarthy's goal against Arsenal. Absolutely beautiful.

Archived