BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Help A Hammer! Information About Your Team

1. Who have been your best and worst players this season?

Samba, McCarthy and Derbyshire have all been exceptional.

Ooijer, Gray and Nonda (see question 3) have been miserable failures.

2. Were you happy with the January transfer window activity? Anyone else you'd realistically liked to have signed?

retrospectively speaking... yes!

Dunn's fitness is improving and he's showing glimpses of his former-self, Warnock is settling down, and Samba has been a revelation.

i'dve liked to see Koumas coming in, but WBA were never going to allow him to leave (as they need him for the promotion push). so, for now, we'll keep the money in our coffers and then use it to purchase a cut-price Dean Ashton, in the summer. :lol:

3. What are the strengths and weaknesses of Shabani Nonda?

His only strength.... is his strength. I'd rather pick a cardboard cut-out, than him.

collins' dictionary definition describes nonda perfectly:

inept :- adj. 2. awkward, clumsy or incompetent.

4. Who's going to play in the Savage / Mokoena role on Saturday?

Dunn, or if he's not fit - Bentley.

5. What's been the highlight of this season so far?

There's been a few, but Benni's goal against arsenal will take some beating.

I know everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but your inclusion of Ooijer smacks of totally unreal and uncalled-for bias! I know he took a while to settle, but for quite a few consecutive games up to his injury at Man. C. he had been very good indeed. Especially in our European games.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I must admit I was suprised to see Ooijer in a list of our worst players of the season.

He took a few games to find his feet but then looked like a very good player in my opinion.

i may have been harsh on calling him abysmal. unconvincing is probably more apt. i will now change my answer accordingly.

fife, there's no bias against andre, he improved from his poor start, but i still expected more from the current holland captain, and one of the countries most decorated defenders.

for what it is worth, i reckon if he was still fit, ooijer wouldnt have been playing centre half, he'dve been being used exclusively as a right-back.

i may have been harsh on calling him abysmal. unconvincing is probably more apt. i will now change my answer accordingly.

fife, there's no bias against andre, he improved from his poor start, but i still expected more from the current holland captain, and one of the countries most decorated defenders.

for what it is worth, i reckon if he was still fit, ooijer wouldnt have been playing centre half, he'dve been being used exclusively as a right-back.

did he not play RB for PSV and a couple of times there for Holland, i think he is a better RB then CH, i would love our back four to be

Andre Nelson Samba Warnock

A right back with no pace, now that makes sense ....!

1. Our best player: from what I've seen and listening to the week in week out regulars is Bentley. I wasn't totally convinced last season but he has improved dramatically on his distribution, work rate, crossing (now excellent) and has lots of confidence to go past players.

2. The January transfer window appears to have saved our season. Enough said.

3. Nonda did really well away at Arsenal holding up the ball and closing down. it does look though that his best days are behind him, which is a real shame

4. Do Savage and Mokeana play the same role? Dunn will play the Savage role and Tugay will sit in front of the back four. So we will keep the ball better, but risk being overrun in the middle without the bite the Axe gives.

5. For me it was tavelling to Amsterdam just to get drunk and not see the Feyenord game.....or.... McCarthy's goal vs Arsenal.

Now a question for you. Just how are West Ham SO bad compared with last season? It's not as if you finished poorly like Charlton and the writing was on the wall. You reached the FA cup final FFS. Harwood, Ehtrington, Reo-Cocker, Zamora, Ferdinand, Gabidon, Newton were all superstars last season and just haven't put the effort in. Too much go to their heads or what?

A right back with no pace, now that makes sense ....!

Exactly, Ooijer is a solid centre-back and an all-round good guy to boot. But his pace and delivery on the wings those few games he played RB was terrible. I like him, but even Zurab's a better option at RB.

No need to answer the questions now.Upton333, how many will you be taking to our Northern horde of uncouth garb and strange oaths?.

I must say your fans have stayed loyal and its one of the things I like about your club,as working class as they come ...just like us.

I must admit I could think of quite a few other clubs who I'd like to go down before your lot,Lucash Neill :angry: or not.

Hello all

A West Ham fan here looking forward to the trip up on Saturday. I also write a match preview for a West Ham site and wanted to tap you up for some info. If you wouldn't mind taking a look at the following:-

Bentley by a mile. He'll get an England cap the moment he leaves us (and despite the new contract, i think he's still at risk this summer). Hell, he's been so good this season that he might even get capped while with us. :P

Worst: Strange that i'm struggling with this one, but at the risk of getting some flak, i'll go with roberts. From the start, I felt he was massively overpriced. Ok the injuries were not his fault, but from what i've seen of him, he's a flop. I would honestly flog him off in the summer to one of the promoted sides who might be interested in him.

2. Were you happy with the January transfer window activity? Anyone else you'd realistically liked to have signed?

Was rather upset to be honest. Until the luton match. Warnock looks a steal (what was benitez thinking wanting to swap him for neill??), but he had a good debut and has been really solid for us since. Dunny, i wasnt happy with as i had doubts over his fitness. 50 games in 3 seasons is a terrible record really. Yet, sparky has surprised us again. From seeing him for his second coming at the emirates to the replay, its amazing how much trimmer he looks. I seriously wonder the fitness regime is like, i sure need some of it. As for samba, he's gonna be a legend. Period.

Ambivalent towards him really. Sometimes he looks the part, at other times he looks well, simply like crap. But he holds the ball up really well though, i'll give him that.

Should be dunny.

Derbs' coming of age. Heard lots about him in the reserves, and glad to see that he's capable of putting them away in the first team. Although i'm not a native of blackburn, nothing like a home grown hero!

Please feel free to answer as few or as many as you can. Please don't worry about giving away any inside information as we wouldn't have a clue what to do with it anyway. (I like self-deprecation, cheers mate)

Prediction: We should win this, 2-1 i say (dunny and bentley). However, 'should' doesnt always translate into reality as we rovers fans know all too well...

And best of luck for the cup, hope you win the semi at least 6-0, whichever set of scumbags you have to play. (i'm not greedy, 1-0 will do quite nicely for me :))

Cheers

Fair enough as far as the RB situation goes I would agree, but the point I was making is that in your earlier post you said "Ooijer, Gray and Nonda have been miserable failures" That it what I objected to.

I would also say that up to the return of Nelsen and the addition of Samba, Ooijer was our best available CH (just), closely followed by either Zurab, Todd or Henchoz (take your pick).

I would also say that up to the return of Nelsen and the addition of Samba, Ooijer was our best available CH (just), closely followed by either Zurab, Todd or Henchoz (take your pick).

I think its fair to say that the last two will be away in the summer.

Now a question for you. Just how are West Ham SO bad compared with last season? It's not as if you finished poorly like Charlton and the writing was on the wall. You reached the FA cup final FFS. Harwood, Ehtrington, Reo-Cocker, Zamora, Ferdinand, Gabidon, Newton were all superstars last season and just haven't put the effort in. Too much go to their heads or what?

There is an element of inflated egos but I honestly believe we were found out. Everyone who came to Upton Park early on put a five man midfield against us (even Wigan, the only time that they have ever played five in midfield). The realisation was that we had a *hit hot midfield if given time and space but as soon as we had to work it through, they just weren't up to it.

Coupled with the defensive frailities that we papered over last season by scoring loads of goals (see Cup Final for example) we were there for the taking. Injuries haven't helped, nor has plain old bad luck (I don't know how many times we've hit the woodwork this year).

We've now got the stage where we just can't remember how to win and the new manager has had zero effect so far.

However, enough of my problems. :D Cheers for all the responses so far. I'll feed all that you've told me into the computer and hopefully a half decent preview will come out (that'll be a first). I'll put a link up when it gets posted and any more comments are more than welcome.

Cheers

I was amazed how well Hammers did last season considering how they limped back up but nothing compared with my suprise at this season's collapse.

They deserve to go down for the Lucash and Upson signings. Rank alongside Rovers buying Peacock, Daily (where is he now?) and other gallumping failures when we deservedly Kidded our way out of the Premiership back in 98/9.

There is an element of inflated egos but I honestly believe we were found out. Everyone who came to Upton Park early on put a five man midfield against us (even Wigan, the only time that they have ever played five in midfield). The realisation was that we had a *hit hot midfield if given time and space but as soon as we had to work it through, they just weren't up to it.

Coupled with the defensive frailities that we papered over last season by scoring loads of goals (see Cup Final for example) we were there for the taking. Injuries haven't helped, nor has plain old bad luck (I don't know how many times we've hit the woodwork this year).

We've now got the stage where we just can't remember how to win and the new manager has had zero effect so far.

However, enough of my problems. :D Cheers for all the responses so far. I'll feed all that you've told me into the computer and hopefully a half decent preview will come out (that'll be a first). I'll put a link up when it gets posted and any more comments are more than welcome.

Cheers

Good on yer Upton 333. Hope you're lot stay up, but it looks like miracle needed time. WHammers have always been a good team to watch and to compete with; one of the honest hard working London teams. Not like the big soft poofdahs that think every team they play against should just roll over and let them have 3 points. Anyway good luck, and if the worst happens keep the faith! You WILL be back. :)

They deserve to go down for the Lucash and Upson signings. Rank alongside Rovers buying Peacock, Daily (where is he now?) and other gallumping failures when we deservedly Kidded our way out of the Premiership back in 98/9.

Neill and Upson are good players, unlike Dailly or Peacock. The problem for West Ham is that neither have been available enough for them. Well, that and the fact that the rest of the team haven't been very good this season.

Not like the big soft poofdahs that think every team they play against should just roll over and let them have 3 points.

Thats got to be perrenially underachieving spurs right? I must say that any of the top 2/3 teams i.e. Chelski, Arse, MU are where they are cos most games they really work their bloocks off.

I think its fair to say that the last two will be away in the summer.

Disagree about Henchoz. He makes a good squad player (considering cost and likely wages) and seems to be ok with that role. Hasn't set the world alight, but he's done the job adequately when asked to.

Cheers

Have to say very good of you to come on and field these questions. Hope our replies are some use.

It borders on the bizarre that West Ham are going down if you look at the money spent, the record of the new manager, the takeover, the fanfare when the two Argentinians turned up in the summer. Indeed it only really can be compared to the last time you went down after finishing sixth!

Out of the London clubs I like Charton and West Ham the most. Wish you could stay up and Spurs could go down... :)

:ph34r:

I'm not sure he even comes up to Samba's knees!

Excellent one Tris. One of the most commical posts on here for quite a while.

Again probably the best performer is 'safehands' between the sticks. His performances have been an inspiration to the team and probably thanks to him we're sitting in a relatively decent place in the league and achieved sound progress in both the FA Cup and UEFA Cup campaigns. The other notable performances have certainly been from the defence since the start of 2007 with Warnock, Samba, Nelsen and Emerton putting in strong efforts.

The midfield has had an indifferent start, with Bentely, Tugay and Savage arguably our best players until October. Pedersen then came into his own after this and the recent signing of Dunnie has helped provide cover for the long-term injuries we have sustained. Again up front we can't ignore the performances from Benni and 18 goals at this stage of the campaign has been nothing short of impressive. He did take a dip and Shabani Nonda came in with a few important goals. The rise of Matty Derbyshire from the academy has been a huge lift to everyone and can become a very special player for the future.

Initially I wasn't too happy, but the activity has proved thus far (touch wood) to have been absoluetly fantastic from the fans view. Amazing signings in Samba and Warnock and this has really steadied the ship at the back. However I felt that maybe a good grafter in midfield was needed and think that Dunnie has shown his ability to cover up some of Savage's play, but at the same time create some excellent attacking play, such as the delightful ball to Benni to score the winner against the Gooners.

Strengths are certainly his physical strength and a good eye for goal from a big man. He reminds me slightly of Anthony Yeboah. He certainly isn't the quickest of forwards, but he is a good holder of the ball. The biggest weakness, is his past self, with everyone giving references from it and probably expecting too much from him. But he's progessin strongly at Ewood and would deserve a permanent contract at the club when his loan spell ends.

Dunnie will have to fill this role. He's been getting stuck into it and is in top shape at the moment. So I wouls expect him to partner Tugay in the centre, or indeed Benley at a long shot could also be drafted into the centre.

It's a tough one as we've had a few. Certainly at the start of the season it was our progress in the UEFA Cup, as we've never been that good at winning games in Europe before. It was a nice sight and gave the side a huge uplift of confidence. If Tugay was able to keep his performances from the start of the season up to scratch and on a consistant basis, then he would have been the highlight of the season. The main highlight would have been the convincing 3-0 victory over a lacklustre Portsmouth or indeed Benni's winner over the Gunners.

Some other great strikes includes Pedersens against Newcastle and Man City, Tugays two against Basle and Spuds respectively, as well as Bentley's against RB Salzburg.

Archived