BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn V Arsenal

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can... but then I'm ever the optimist :blink:

Good for you, I try to be but Arsenal and Liverpool I don't ever believe we can beat. United and possibly Chelsea but I don't know why, I just don't have confidence in Rovers when they're playing the "lesser" of the Big Four. :wstu:

I feel fairly confident about the Arsenal match but I think we need more power in the midfield - and having watched savages performance at The Riverside on saturday, I dont think he can provide it.

Mokoena has taken a good while to settle in but he grew so much in confidence last season, and he is a great player to get in and break up a dominant Arsenal midfield.

It would be good to see him step up again for this game and I think he deserves a chance.

One Love - BRFC

I think we need Mokoena in this match. Such pace in their midfield like Rosicky and Hleb would walk past Dunn or Tugay.....

On topic, it was Pedersen who scored the only goal of the game in our win in 05/06.

My Arsenal supporting friend said that the standard of play shown by the Gunners today was nothing like what they are capable of and that, just like last season, they were frustrating as hell. Playing them early, before they settle into a rythem and before their new signings properly integrate could be the best time possible.

However, they were playing Hleb behind Van Persie and, according to my friend it just didn't work. Adebayor and Da Silva might be fit by then. You look at the Arsenal team sheet these days and you're just not as fearful as the days of Campbell, Viera, Pires and Henry.

Arsenal come to Ewood for a league match without their annual matchwinner in Terry Henry, lets think about how many games he has won for the Arse at Ewood Park.

Yes they have Hleb and RVP, Rosicky and Adebayor and a midfielder to die for in Cesc Fabregas.

Yes on paper and punditwise the Arse will come to Ewood on Sunday and be everyones favourites to take the 3 points.

I remain optimistic. Rovers have firepower and an engine room that is fitter than any other team in the league. We may not have the skill and flair of the Arse but what we do have is a work ethic and a will to survive and win.

On the face of it, I would think the Arse have their eyes on Europe on Wednesday whereas Rovers game against Mypa is not as high profile or as big a concern as the Arse's game.

A negative result on Wednesday for the Arse should see Rovers set out to capitalise and for me I see no reason why we cannot achieve a positive result at home this season.

1-0 Rovers for me

I would be suprised if Hughes doesn't approach this the same way he did the Cup game last season. i guess we would line up:

------------------Santa Cruz

----------------------Dunn--------

Pedersen---Mokoena---Savage---Bentley

--Warnock---Samba----Nelsen--Emerton

----------------------Friedal

Subs: Brown, Ooijer, Tugay, McCarthy, Derbyshire

Rather than being a true creative "number ten" Dunn would be primarily used to harass the opposition back four so they can't keep hold of the ball with Savage doing the same in midfield while the Axe sits in front of the defence. Then around the 60 minute mark we would wheel on Derbs, Tugay and McCarthy (Roberts if he isn't fit) and look to stretch them with a standard 442 as they tire.

Wenger ain't stupid, he knows we will use the same sort of tactics but I am not sure he really has the players available to deal with that sort of game plan. For all their beauty Arsenal depend on short passing and if we disrupt that they lack an alternative. If Wenger lost a bit of pride and gave himself a nitty gritty option the gunners might have a realistic chance at the title.

Still I would say we are more likely to lose than win just due to the quality available to the Arse. I would go for a 1-1 draw.

hey folks.... well i can say this will be one of my first home matches.... i've turnt 18 and found that prospects of a job can be rewarding (money).... and whats the best pub before hand... and if anyone fancies meeting up before the game as im traveling 300 miles by myself... and many more times this year i wish... just fancy making some footy mates... who's up for it??

Nathan

Welcome to the board Nathan !!!

Regarding the Arsenal game I beleive Arsenal were poor in midfield against Fulham and looked like they were missing Gilberto.

I dont know why he was missing but without him their midfield lacks a ball winner and could be a bit of a soft touch - also they arent the biggest team around either - with Nelsen, Ooijer, Samba and Santa Cruz and Bentleys and MGPs setpieces we may bag a goal too

I'm hoping for good things, mainly so I can hold the game over my Arsenal friend for a while. Looks like my only option of watching the game is the new broadband package that FSC is offering, assuming they get it working this week (Unlike last week when they didn't get it up and running for the Arsenal-Fulham match). It'll be the first of 4 times in the next month that I'll get to watch the Rovers here.

Well having won whilst playing quite badly, we have three games on the trot (Arsenal H, Everton A, Chelsea A) which we are going to have to be 100% on top of our game for and which will set the season up brilliantly if we rise to the occasion and nick a few points.

Having seen two brilliant games (Villa v Liverpool and Arsenal v Fulham and bits of the compelling ManU v Reading) as well as disjointed chunks of Boro v Rovers which was not a classic, I have a feeling that entertainment could be back on the agenda in this season's Premier League.

Looking forwards to Sunday's game enormously- it could be a cracker.

have u heard that pedersen is in talks with wenger?? news from this morning !! i dont think he will go.... well i hope not... i dont think he will play too much at arsenal.... and we beat arsenal last year... in the cup ?!?! right?? i think rovers will win 2-1!!!

We always get these kind of stories just before we are about to play the 'big' clubs. Trying to unsettle our players - if they take any notice for one thing.

Morten would only be 'in talks' with Wenger if the club had given permission; and the club has repeatedly said it is not selling our best players. So somebody is telling porkies!

I fancy a draw in this game.

(optimism is king!)

I fancy we can beat them.If we play as well as we did when we beat them 1-0 in the F.A.Cup,then why not.

I thought Fulham were very unlucky not to hang on to at least a draw against Arsenal,and I'm still laughing at Lehmans howler lol.

If we get a good referee that won't be intimidated or fall for their diving antics,then I'm sure another win is on the cards for Rovers.

I'm going 1-0,and a Benni goal.

Archived