BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fifa 2008

Guest Kamy100

Ok, for those thinking of buying this game and for those same people that even listen to anything I say on here - ignore my previous ranting about how bad I think it is - from the demo.

The Good

Be a Pro Mode. Think it was Kamy that said he expected this to be a kind of tacked on extra but it wasn't and I couldn't agree more. I thought that you would just wander round on the pitch waiting for someone to pass it too you or spend you time running round trying to get the ball and then run it into the net your self but its very good the way you can shout for the ball and tell them when to shoot - or press for the tackle. Plus marking the correct man is a good idea too. It is the up and coming younger brother of Libero Grande but this is no bad thing. This will be something they should keep in the game and I look forward to see how they will improve it over the years.

The Main Game.

The demo seemed to have quite a bit missing from it - mainly graphically and speed. I have been playing demo's since the days of the zx spectrum and when they say its just a demo the game isnt complete they are normally wrong and what you actually get in the demo turns out to be pretty much the same but I do think there is a difference here. Just love the way you are forced to change the way you play all the time. You really do have to concentrate and look for your players all of the time to get anywhere - gone are those Fifa days of pass - run - shoot - goal. The keepers are really good as well. Played my first online game. Went Rovers - other guy went Brazil - cheap. He won 2-1 mainly because I was down to 10 men. Even though he was Brazil though he never once out classed me meaning I should be able to go Rovers all of the time online.

As already mentioned the sound is awesome. I like listening to what they are going to say next however, over and over they keep blurting out that same "There's the irrepressible Robbie Savage" Once in a game fine but over and over again - Nooooooooooo

The Bad

The menu's. So confused am I sometimes looking at this lot I just click something to get into a game. It is a poor show online that you cant just go on and find your buddy list. I played and chatted to an Irish guy last night. We had a good game but when it finished there wasn't an option for a rematch. Even though he then added me as a friend I couldn't locate him again - this is poor.

I still think that graphically it is poor. When I saw what the PS3 could do my mouth started watering to think what it would come up with on the football front however, this kind of looks like a slightly better version of the PS2. It will improve as the developers get to grips with things but for now I think they are bad.

All in all I do think that people dont need to choose between Fifa and Pes this year because they should get both (pennies deciding that of course) They will really be two different games and very good in their own rights.

Wolverine. Do you know what the score is with the league. When do you start it? When are games played? Can you go the same team? etc etc etc (I am normally free for games after 7 and before 10 in the week - baby dictating this of course)

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's quite a balanced review Cocker nice on.

I agree totally about the commentry. They seem to have tried to add more for the realism but you just keep getting the same Robbie Savage comments over and over. Also, they seem to have mis-timed some plays. I've had "ooh, that worried the keeper" when it sailed miles over the bar and others that are too numerous to mention here.

There have also been some graphical / game play glitches. 2 that I had were my keeper running to get a ball and ending up in the first row of the stand. That didn't look too clever. The second was the opposition keeper picking the ball up on the edge of the area and going over the line but no free kick.

The only other complaint I have is that a few times I've played a ball forward and the striker will just stand waiting to accept the ball. They won't break out of that animation and in the mean time the defender runs round you. That's probably my only actual gamplay grip.

Oh and for all those that actually do like the pass, run, shoot type game, you can still do that on Amateur quite easily. And holding down the left trigger while shooting will either always go in or make the keeper parry. Again, I think that is only that easy on Amateur, can't get near the goal to try on harder settings!

The only other complaint I have is that a few times I've played a ball forward and the striker will just stand waiting to accept the ball. They won't break out of that animation and in the mean time the defender runs round you. That's probably my only actual gamplay grip.

From what I can tell, this is because they have tried to copy the PES super cancel. You will need to highlight the player and then do the super cancel and make him run towards the ball. The play is sometimes to quick though to do this.

As far as I can tell you can just join the online league I created at any time. It seems to be a matter of keeping score of who wins most rather than creating a set fixture list. It should make it easier to play eachother online when any of us are on at the same time.

Hold Left & Right triggers (on 360 version anyway!)

Should really have just been one button like it is in PES.

Anyone won a game on Legendary yet? I've only managed a 1-1 draw...against Accy Stanley!

Cheers for that, I'll give it a go, if I could ever get my fingers and thumbs to co-ordinate.

As for legendary, HA. It'll be this time next year before I'm brave enough to move away from Amateur!

I've joined the BRFC Fans league wolverine (redgengis) but so far its just me and thee. I joined another one but can't seem to get a game with anyone.

Doing well online, played 15 lost 3 won 12.

Excellent - just looked and indeed me and you are there. the good news folks is that this brings me resoundingly to the bottom of the league, though I like to say I am in second place. The league lets you see at a glance who is online with Fifa and you can challenge them. Sounds like a winner to me. Will keep an eye out for you DB!

Anyone played with the avatar at easportsworld.com? Got mine ingame now.

Excellent - just looked and indeed me and you are there. the good news folks is that this brings me resoundingly to the bottom of the league, though I like to say I am in second place. The league lets you see at a glance who is online with Fifa and you can challenge them. Sounds like a winner to me. Will keep an eye out for you DB!

Reet, should be on after 7 some nights this week so will get added to the league

Got the game Saturday for the PS3, had a couple of friendly’s Saturday before a night out, then played it all afternoon yesterday.

Had a mate round yesterday and we played several games, with several different teams – both of us agree that this is the best football game ever so far on a computer! We played 7 games, I won 5, although 1 was on penalties.

If you have a HDTV, then this game looks top class – not sure about a normal TV?

The game itself is much improved, the keepers are miles better and it is very difficult to score. I think in terms of the player ratings, they are quite fair and rovers do have some decent players on there. The trick stick is very good and if you can get the hang of it, then with skilful players you can do some quality moves.

The commentary is improved and it sometimes gives you abit of a history lesson on the club, like with us it goes on about being a founder member and also about the jack walker/ Daglish title winning days. The crowd is much improved and it includes many chants, including “Get into em”, “Mark Hughes’ blue n white army” etc. When you play teams like Liverpool the customary “Youll never walk alone” comes in at the end of each half and the Everton fans always sing “If you know your history”.

The pro player is a good function and it is surprisingly decent, your player scores ratings based on every good or bad thing he does and at the end of each game it gives you an analysis of your performance. Id still rather be the full team, than 1 individual though!!

The pro player is a good function and it is surprisingly decent, your player scores ratings based on every good or bad thing he does and at the end of each game it gives you an analysis of your performance. Id still rather be the full team, than 1 individual though!!

Shame they didnt do this in 95 because you could have gone Cantona and Bruce Lee'd the fans :rolleyes:

I've set my Avatar up.

Gutted I'm working lates this week :angry: (shift swapped Thursday night though for obvious reasons) so I'm not gonna be able to make my league debut unless somebody is going to be playing still after 10pm?

My online form took a bit of nose dive yesterday (lost 3 out of 7) back on track today though.

Hi guys. I think some things are good some bad. Still I am enjoying myself playng so it the verdict must be that it is a good game...

anyway.. some questions...

On xbox360:

Can you play be a pro and devellop a player or is it only one off gamrs with allready superstars?

Can you devellop a team in a carear mode?

is the brfc fan league for xbox or ps3?

thanks.

hope to play you guys as I dig the online part - I suck by the way....

I had gone from hating the demo to liking (not loving) the game and now I am starting to get angry with it again.

Through the cracks the reason that I didnt like the old fifa are starting to get in. With the old fifa it started to get so you found youself scoring the same goals over and over again. This new one came with the promise that the cpu players had their own 'brains' and would ajust if you kept doing the same thing. Well, at first I find that it was quite hard because you always had a player on your back and you had to quickly pass and move but for me as I have got a little better at the game this is starting to be its downfall. You see, you try to play a nice through ball but nearly all of the time the computer will cut it out. You try to drift past a player in the middle of the park and again, quite allot the computer will cut it out. So, back to the tried and tested give it out wide and here is where the massive hole lies. You give it out wide - walk to the oncoming player - double tap the right toggle as he comes at you and your away and passed him - no one else comes to you - because they have a brains so your left to cross it in and score. Now, if you are to beleive what they told you in all of the write ups that if you try this a couple of more times that it will get wise and ajust - then this is wrong. I find myself in games being given no option but to try this.

Sometimes it does leave a massive hole in the middle of the pitch where if you sprint they will take it off but if you jog down they back off and then you can freely hit it from 30 yards and it will fly into the back of the net.

When I am Rovers online too I can be playing against a lesser player who will go someone like Barca and when I go to tackle them they just walk straight passed and it dosent always seem to put a tackle in when you know that normally you would have taken the ball from them

So, its starting to get to repetative. They tried to make it like Pro Evo but its just not the same.

Anyone else finding this is happening?

I bought it yesterday and all I can say so far that it is really hard to score. I'm enjoying the be a pro mode, so it is probably worth having, but at the moment I don't enjoy the normal games anywhere near as much as I do with pro.

When people say they find it really hard to score, what level are you playing on?

Just wondering as I find it really easy to score on Amateur but get completely frustrated on anything harder. Are the people who can't score starting in professional or world class? (in which case I'm not suprised!)

Archived