BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Uefa Cup First Round Draw

Wasn't I recently slaughtered for suggesting that Benni's recent displays would have an effect if he was continues to be picked. Not saying that is the reason but I am sure, just as regular folks do, some might think well if he gets away with it so can I. could have course be nowt to do with it, perhaps we just went in thinking all we had to do was show up.

Personally I am more bothered about the Nelsen injury, in just two games we lose what was looking like a commanding back two to rival any Premiership pairing. Buggar and I thought lady luck was showing her face again after Chelsea.

Hope we can pick up the pieces for the bread and butter of the Prem, Europe is over for this season. Oh and please, bench McCarthy Sunday.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clearly the more stupid amongst us will use this shambles of a display to attack their favourite scapegoat at this point. Personally, I don't see the point of this as every single outfield player deserves derision after tonight - why single people out? A more inept display from a team with genuine aspirations to win the competition is hard to imagine. Totally embarrassing.

Two positives though to leave you with:

- Larissa are nothing special and if we play anything like at Ewood we've a good chance of turning things around.

- I'd like to think Hughes will have slaughtered the players today and I've a feeling that Sunday might not be the best time for Portsmouth to play us.

QUOTE(Whyoy @ Sep 20 2007, 18:06 )

....and as for Warnock. Rubbish is too polite a word for his second half performance. Can't pass, can't cross, let's hiss man walk past him near the corner flag. Can't throw in and is often seen going walkabout. We must have another full back at the club that can play on the left side.

What utter nonsense. He may not have been able to cross etc. well today, but he's proven countless times before he can do all of those things you listed

So you're disagreeinging with me then immediately agreeing with me are you? Based on the last two performances he has not been good to say the least. That's not to say that any of the others, excepting perhaps Brad and Santa, were any better today.

With the benefiit of hindsight and seeing the size of the pitch it was probably a tactical mistake to play this game with only two wingers and two midfielders. The opposition were at least as fit as Blackburn and with their knowledge of the large pitch and home crowd backing, it probably would have been a wiser option to play three in midfield with only one wideman.

So whilst the team generally have got to accept the criticism that's been thrown at them for largely below par performances the management also have got to take a share of the blame for not doing their homework on the opposition and persevering with a line up that was plainly not up to the task.

The reality is that we were lucky to only lose by two goals, It could easily have been five.

We used to have a manager that thought european competition was unimportant and treated the competition with no respect.......... now we have an entire team that do! Hughes will be blazing!

After the Lord Mayors show or what? Bigheads the lot of em. Bad pitch / high wind.... tough shitski, it's no excuse for total lack of effort. There were so few options to the man on the ball it was unbelievable!

Dare I say it but we look to be a one man team. The king pin in defence was missed sorely and any threat from corners and free kicks evaporated at Stamford Bridge last Sat. Samba needs to be a big lad cos it seems that he's carrying the rest.

Nail, hammer, head.

Anyone who still doesn't think Samba ( who I think is the best CB in the Premiership) isn't crucial to our cause must be deluded. Emerton, Ooijer and Warnock were woeful in defence today. What on earth was Emerton thiking about with that "back pass"? What happened to the player that was so outstanding against Citeh?

Worst display under Hughes imo, usually under him, even when we've not played well, we've been solid enough in defence.

Today we had no shape, no discipline, no desire, no nothing.

Very disappointed with McCarthy. He might as well not have been on the pitch yet again yesterday. You could say that about anyone apart from Friedel but for McCarthy it's a recurrent theme: also read Everton and Chelsea away. Your "dream move" to Chelsea has now gone with the departure of " special one" so you might as well stop sulking and get your arse into gear! :angry:

Frankly the outfield ten played like either:

1) They'd all been out on the lash last night or

2) It was a Sounessque case of the uefa Cup "not being a priority"

It will be a huge ask to overturn that deficit in the second leg. We'll need to both play very well AND for things to go our way. They'll have eleven behind the ball and will be rolling about injured at every opportunity.

Very disappointing.

Clearly the more stupid amongst us will use this shambles of a display to attack their favourite scapegoat at this point.

Clearly the more stupid amongst us can't distinguish between this (hopefully) being a one off performance from the majority of the team and a recurrent feature of McCarthy's play so far this season.

Didn't see the game so can't comment on individual performances, sounds like a bad a day at the office and maybe a little complacency as well, with the performances we have been putting in lately it was inevetable that we were gonna slip up somewhere although few would have predicted that it would be this game.

We need to put this behind us for now and concentrate on Saunday's game against Portsmouth, no doubt Hughes and the result will bring the players back down to earth and maybe the pasting we have been threating to give out will happen on Sunday.

Ps: Congratulations about the 0-0 against chelsea. You may still be unbeaten, but only till Thursday. B)

Told ya mates... B)

We deservedly won the match and i think that you admit that.

Anyway. We met some of your mates who came at Panthessaliko and gave them some gifts.

Now we hope to meet you on 4/10 at Blackburn in order to have a nice time with you.

We're the joke of Europe.

My friend the joke of europe is olympiakos. :D So, no worries...

PS: Any members of this messageboard that came at Panthessaliko? If there are any, please upload photos and videos of our stand. Thanks in advance.

Told ya mates... B)

We deservedly won the match and i think that you admit that.

Anyway. We met some of your mates who came at Panthessaliko and gave them some gifts.

Now we hope to meet you on 4/10 at Blackburn in order to have a nice time with you.

My friend the joke of europe is olympiakos. :D So, no worries...

PS: Any members of this messageboard that came at Panthessaliko? If there are any, please upload photos and videos of our stand. Thanks in advance.

You obviously speak good enough English that you know what you sound like when you say "gifts" and "have a nice time".

I still think we'll beat you in the second leg and go through. Friedel kept us in it, one more goal and we would have been out, but if we get a goal early in the second leg then I think it will be fairly comfortable.

The worst news is that Nelson is out for a month, which includes key prem league games against teams that we should beat in the near future-very frustrating.

I think we just have to write this off as a bad job. The worst performance under Hughes-every once in a blue moon a team will just have an off day like that. Chelsea getting battered at Boro last year for example, sometimes its just one of them nights. The tie is certainly not over and i expect us to go roaring into them in the 2nd leg!

Chin up boys :brfc:

Clearly the more stupid amongst us will use this shambles of a display to attack their favourite scapegoat at this point. Personally, I don't see the point of this as every single outfield player deserves derision after tonight - why single people out? A more inept display from a team with genuine aspirations to win the competition is hard to imagine. Totally embarrassing.

Two positives though to leave you with:

- Larissa are nothing special and if we play anything like at Ewood we've a good chance of turning things around.

- I'd like to think Hughes will have slaughtered the players today and I've a feeling that Sunday might not be the best time for Portsmouth to play us.

Cue Jan from the grassy knoll.

Beware feigning injury, timewasting and ref-conning based on yesterday's display when the Greeks come to Ewood.

:brfc:

Where the **** did that s***e come from?! Jesus, that was bewildering and worrying in equal measure. The palyers who have enjoyed deserved praise over the last 2 years should be totally embarassed by that. I certainly didn't see it coming and I doubt anybody else did.

I reckon the tie is as good as over, even a Conference side can make it almost impossible for a Premiership side to score.

As McCarthy clearly cant be mithered at the moment I dont see us penetrating an 11 man defence.

Overall the very worst display I have ever seen from any Rovers team.

Appearing from all the comments people should take this very seriously - splitting the chaff /from the grain - to can't be bothered (amongst the highs and lows of 60 years) and making such a bold comment is to me a very valid and serious point especially from what I would call a decent poster and highlights a very worrying problem and raised question of WHY?

I didn't see the game nor have I seen any highlights - partly down to I had a worrying feeling that something like this would happen so won't dwell on it as enough has probably been said about blame.

Our sort of OK start to the season has glossed over alot of issues and the under performing players in my book (no need to name or I told you so) but some people have been getting a little over excited as bar the games against Everton and Citeh we have not exactly looked in full flow considering our earlier than normal start

Hopefully, this should be the kick up the arse we needed , especially certain players (who I think need dropping) and Nelsen will be a big loss.

Samba's absence looks like we probably need him more than we think.

No excuses really - and I expect a big big response on Sunday but think we will really struggle to turn around this tie.

You make some good points there CK. I'd also say that this performance wasn't all that out of line with our previous European games so far this season, the quality of the opposition was just a little bit better and that was what proved costly. Maybe this defeat will be good in the long run as we could still recover from it in the second leg and it doesn't cost us anything in the league, but some work certainly needs to be done. I know that quite a few weren't entirely happy with what went on in this summer and I'm afraid to say that as I watch this season I'm becoming more and more convinced that they will prove costly.

Here's hoping Emerton, Warnock, Savage, Dunn, MGP, Bentley and Benni have reserved their worst form/performance for the savannah of Volos. Last night's game is the last one this season where we have a get out of jail free card to be able to reverse the impact of a stinker so we probably picked the right game to be utterly pathetic in.

Sparky says he's puzzled. I am sure he is being diplomatic and has a pretty good idea of what's going wrong irrespective of how distasteful it my be to face up to but I was enormously disappointed the second half showing was if anything even worse than the first. Any HT rocket did not work.

Some thoughts:

- We've got 4 great central defenders but one of either Zura or Samba has to play to inject some real pace

- We've conceded 5 goals in 10 matches. Four (Savage whimping in wall v Boro, Roque not putting it out v Everton, Friedel plus mucking about v Arsenal, Emerton's pass v Larissa) have come about through calamitous defensive mistakes. Cut those out....

- But for the pressure of the situation and having half of Greece in the Darwen End, Rovers 2 Larissa 0 would be par for the course at Ewood.

PS I can nominate a few games I went to in the '70s and '80s as far worse performances than last night. But as far as unexpected capitulations go, last night is up there with Rovers 0 Brentford 2, Rovers 1 Stockport 3 and so on.

Here's hoping Emerton, Warnock, Savage, Dunn, MGP, Bentley and Benni have reserved their worst form/performance for the savannah of Volos. Last night's game is the last one this season where we have a get out of jail free card to be able to reverse the impact of a stinker so we probably picked the right game to be utterly pathetic in.

Sparky says he's puzzled. I am sure he is being diplomatic and has a pretty good idea of what's going wrong irrespective of how distasteful it my be to face up to but I was enormously disappointed the second half showing was if anything even worse than the first. Any HT rocket did not work.

Some thoughts:

- We've got 4 great central defenders but one of either Zura or Samba has to play to inject some real pace

- We've conceded 5 goals in 10 matches. Four (Savage whimping in wall v Boro, Roque not putting it out v Everton, Friedel plus mucking about v Arsenal, Emerton's pass v Larissa) have come about through calamitous defensive mistakes. Cut those out....

- But for the pressure of the situation and having half of Greece in the Darwen End, Rovers 2 Larissa 0 would be par for the course at Ewood.

2 - nowt won't be enough philip.

:brfc:

come about through calamitous defensive mistakes. Cut those out....

Most rovers teams i can remember have made these mistakes over and over again. Granted we had some really rubbish players like Dailly, Peacock, etc but it seems to be the way that we always give away goals which should be avoided. Luckily we do it on a less frequent basis now and can score goals.

Still seething about last night.

I am trying to be optimistic about us going through but I just can't see it. I can't see them not scoring.

A first half goal is absolutely vital for us.

Another consolation should we get knocked out is the saving of money and holiday days. I'm making a list of all the good things to come from this shambolic performance.

P.S Anybody who went - Did the players come over show the fans some apprecaition at FT? I couldn't tell watching on TV.

Last nights performance was woeful, no doubt about that. Simply not acceptable.

This may sound strange, but it could be a good thing for the season ahead. Having not lost for 15 games, and some great results so far this season this may help in bringing the players back down to earth a little. Rovers always seem to have a habit of getting a little bit carried away when things start to go well. This should highlight to the players that you don't get anywhere in a game without commitment and hard work, and your only as good as your next performance - no matter how many games without defeat you've gone and who the opposition is. At least it happened in a game which we have the opportunity to turn around.

On another note, one thing that never fails to amaze me is the reaction of some people on this board. FFS, we lose one game away at some dodgy place in Greece and all hell breaks loose. One defeat in 15, and you'd think we'd not won in 15 by some of the reactions on here. Honestly, some people really do need to get a grip. Think about the bigger picture before you react! Perfomance was poor, first one for a while, move on to the next game end of. Some people are only happy when they're moaning. :ph34r:

Still in Thessalonika. The bars down by the harbour are excellent and looking forward to a banging night out tonight. Need to. Last night was poor.

I can't say from the terraces we lacked effort having a full view of the game from behind the goal. We just looked like we had a real bad day as a team and individually. The wind was as strong as I have experienced at a game in a long time and the pitch not up to UEFA standards. All the players bar Brad/Cruz were poor. It's easy to believe after 15 unbeaten we're world beaters and after this debacle, a pile of ####. We're still a good team and this was a poor performance. MGP and Benni seem to have problems with fitness/attitude, though Benni stopped a certain goal in our box the second half tracking back.

We can go through and you wonder whether they will shut up shop and play rolling over a la Arse and Notlob. Larrissa were really poor and we gave them this game away. On a better surface at Ewood I can see us winning this tie and going through. They looked 10th placed in the Greek League IMO.

I have never criticised Sparky (unlike ALL his predessors) but over the years so many English teams have come a cropper on 1)bumpy pitches 2)high tempretaures. THe latter wasn't the case. Why do we try and play a long passing game or try and dribble with it? These games/conditions cry out for a tight midfield and players who have excellent touch. It is so difficult to run with the ball or pass it a long way when the wind is howelling like it was on that ploughed field. Tugay with Dunn and Bentley should have played central. Sav had a bad game and on these picthes he'll always look like he's playing with a beach ball. Hughes needs to learn that mediteranean pitches are a graveyard for english type players who can't run and tackle like back home.

Overall a bad day but I believe Larrisa are a bad side and will concede at least two at Ewood where the ball who be moved around a lot faster and they are clearly not fit enough to compete under normal circumstances having watched the whole game from inside the stadium.

Archived