BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Uefa Cup First Round Draw

Bolton getting beat 1-0 in Macedonia, at least if they get beat we can share the shame in the papers tommorrow.

Sounds just as bad as our game, got this from the text updates on bbc

You wouldn't really think Rabotnicki against Bolton could be less enthralling than Blackburn's horror show against Larissa, but it is!!

Doesn't make our loss any better though :(

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rover6,

Have you seen Olsen play? How much of Peter have you seen? Gamst will come good again. Not sure about McCarthy though.

Didn't realise the game was over until just now. Oh dear.

Gamst will come good again - of course. However, that moment will come sooner if Gamst is made to realise that he's got to up his level to get a game at Rovers. As for Peter and Olsson - both have looked promising in rare cameos. At the end of the day, they are good enough to be in the squad and Hughes rates them for the future, so there has to come a time when they get the nod if the first teamers are consistently playing badly.

Obviously, Olsson is a long-shot but if Sergio Peter is fit I cannot see why he should not at least be on the bench to put pressure on Gamst.

As for eschewing Bentley when it comes to criticism, Gamst has been poor for much of this season and looks to have hit a rut. Bentley, meanwhile, I am hoping, simply had an off-day. Both will return to their top form.

However, we should not forget what happened when unproven Derbyshire came in when the experienced and favoured Nonda, Roberts and Jeffers were injured. There has to come a time when perpetual failings should be punished by the player being dropped.

Bolton getting beat 1-0 in Macedonia, at least if they get beat we can share the shame in the papers tommorrow.

My colleague at work is a Bolton fan, like a pit bull with a tooth ache, thank god they've s**t in it as well......

Looking promising in rare cameos! Olsson has had ten minutes! Peter is a better shout, possibly. Gamst has these periods but suddenly he clicks and off we go. Paal has a good point re: Bentley. He's not been doing as well this season, but he's better than the options, and nobody's had a pop, although I think R/B has pointed out his lack of form to date. Dunn on the left might work. But really Rover6 you haven't seen these lads play and it's more than tiresome you trotting out the same line as soon as something goes wrong.

If thats when the guy got to the touchline in the inside left channel and pulled it back I'll think you'll find it was Benni's ridiculous challenge that tried to play the man instead of the ball that sent them clear that time.

No. I remember that,which was one of many ridiculous challenges by the whole Rovers team.

It was a different moment.

I have held back to the end of this thread and resisted the urge to quote any other posts for the simple reason that I feel almost literally sick at what I saw on my screen tonight. I saw my first Rovers game in November 1946, and have been a Rovers fan ever since. As you can probably imagine I have seen some amazing performances from the various Rovers teams I have watched in that period of time; some very good, and some very bad, but HONESTLY, I cannot remember any single instance that stands out in my memory to compare with the load of total crap that I saw tonight. It was not so much that each and every one of the outfield players played below their best, but rather the whole performance as a team was a complete and utter shambles and the longer it went on, the worse it seemed to get. There were some players much worse than others and I don't intend to go over what many people have already said. I agree in the main as to who were the worst performers, and who were the the best of a VERY POOR lot, which obviously does not mean they played well. Even Nelson had a a very poor game by his own usually high standard, and the only one I would exonerate completely was Brad Friedel.

There does not seem to be any possible excuse for it either. OK the pitch was very poor indeed, but that cannot explain why a normally solid defence shoul become a complete panic stricken shambles, or why the usually reliable midfield players could not tackle without giving away a foul (and they were indeed fouls for the most part) or why once again McCarthy simply never took any meaningful part in the match, and even Rocky (who did occasionally try and do something useful) looked well off the pace. Bentley and MGP were very poor indeed.

Overall the very worst display I have ever seen from any Rovers team.

Why do certain people on this board keep having a go at Rover6??

I find his (or her) posts well written, interesting,intelligent and informative.

He/she is obviously a genuine Rovers supporter and is entitled to air his/her views like the rest of us without being picked on.

So lay off!

Sweet! And you lot got thraiped by a pub team.

I don't know who this Zulu is but he seems to know little about football ( seems a bit thick). The pub team qualified for Europe by winning the Greek Cup. Greece has teams such as Panathinaikos, Olympiakos, PAOK and AEK Athens. These are not pub teams. Greece are the reigning European Champions. I guess he must support a really big club (near the top of their league) where winning the national FA Cup and qualifying for Europe must happen regularly.

I don't know who this Zulu is but he seems to know little about football ( seems a bit thick). The pub team qualified for Europe by winning the Greek Cup. Greece has teams such as Panathinaikos, Olympiakos, PAOK and AEK Athens. These are not pub teams. Greece are the reigning European Champions. I guess he must support a really big club (near the top of their league) where winning the national FA Cup and qualifying for Europe must happen regularly.

They also finished 11th of 16th inthe Greek league last season. :rolleyes:

Makes all pre-match talk of winning the UEFA cup look fecking stupid.

We just need to forget about this game asap, as every player seemed to play like utter shyte.

We should have enough quality to score at least a couple at Ewood, but the big blow today for me, is losing Nelsen for at least the next 4-5 matches.

Everton are also doing their best to save our blushes in the papers tomorrow, it's nice of the fellow northern clubs to rally round us.

They're drawing 1-1 with Metalist Kharkiv, who are down to nine men, and Andy Johnson has missed two penalties. Somehow I think this story will take up far more column inches tomorrow.

Everton are also doing their best to save our blushes in the papers tomorrow, it's nice of the fellow northern clubs to rally round us.

They're drawing 1-1 with Metalist Kharkiv, who are down to nine men, and Andy Johnson has missed two penalties. Somehow I think this story will take up far more column inches tomorrow.

To make matters worse I had them in an Accumulator and everything else has come in apart from them :angry:

I have held back to the end of this thread and resisted the urge to quote any other posts for the simple reason that I feel almost literally sick at what I saw on my screen tonight. I saw my first Rovers game in November 1946, and have been a Rovers fan ever since. As you can probably imagine I have seen some amazing performances from the various Rovers teams I have watched in that period of time; some very good, and some very bad, but HONESTLY, I cannot remember any single instance that stands out in my memory to compare with the load of total crap that I saw tonight. It was not so much that each and every one of the outfield players played below their best, but rather the whole performance as a team was a complete and utter shambles and the longer it went on, the worse it seemed to get. There were some players much worse than others and I don't intend to go over what many people have already said. I agree in the main as to who were the worst performers, and who were the the best of a VERY POOR lot, which obviously does not mean they played well. Even Nelson had a a very poor game by his own usually high standard, and the only one I would exonerate completely was Brad Friedel.

There does not seem to be any possible excuse for it either. OK the pitch was very poor indeed, but that cannot explain why a normally solid defence shoul become a complete panic stricken shambles, or why the usually reliable midfield players could not tackle without giving away a foul (and they were indeed fouls for the most part) or why once again McCarthy simply never took any meaningful part in the match, and even Rocky (who did occasionally try and do something useful) looked well off the pace. Bentley and MGP were very poor indeed.

Overall the very worst display I have ever seen from any Rovers team.

Well said Fife, Wow, of all the comments on here this one hits home for me. 1946!? Every bad result gets flogged on this site, but when someone who has been watching the Rovers since '46 hits out at this as the worst crap performance since '46....damn.

We complain about the strikers, but in the last two games I've seen the service to them has been very poor. I think it would be good for Benni to come off the bench, but this result is hardly down to him.

We complain about the midfield, some say we lack creative infuence in the centre of the park. But dropping Bently or MGP? Moving Dunn out to the left wing? Those are rubbish solutions. Maybe a little player rotation in the mid wouldn't have hurt. Tugay may be old (and showing it this season) but he wouldn't have been much worse than Savage/Dunn today.

On the defence: I'm gutted to see Nelsen gone. We missed him soooo much last season. Also, I agree that Zurab is an uprgrade to Ooijer. I want Andre to be back to his best, but tell me you all weren't nervous to see him come on at Chelsea?

We complain about the strikers, but in the last two games I've seen the service to them has been very poor. I think it would be good for Benni to come off the bench, but this result is hardly down to him.

We complain about the midfield, some say we lack creative infuence in the centre of the park. But dropping Bently or MGP? Moving Dunn out to the left wing? Those are rubbish solutions. Maybe a little player rotation in the mid wouldn't have hurt. Tugay may be old (and showing it this season) but he wouldn't have been much worse than Savage/Dunn today.

On the defence: I'm gutted to see Nelsen gone. We missed him soooo much last season. Also, I agree that Zurab is an uprgrade to Ooijer. I want Andre to be back to his best, but tell me you all weren't nervous to see him come on at Chelsea?

Totally agree, a quality central midfielder is definitely is a must acquisition for the coming christmas sales to take Rovers further forward.

Archived