• Savage
    • Dunn
    • Pedersen
    • Bentley
    • Sant Cruz
    • Mokoena
    • McCarthy
    • Derbyshire

Always good to see a big club with a "massive" and vociferous away support go away with nowt.....although I would have preferred for us to have given them a right good "lubbocking" in the second half as we should have done.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I've seen the disallowed goal several times now. To me - he's clearly offside. He's not level, he's in front of the last defender.

No-one else see that?

See my earlier post, I did. I think the commentators convenietly forgot that a Brum player played the ball on it's way through, had that not have happened then it was questionable but at the time of the last touch the big club boy was offside and I would dare to say not even level.

What a fantastic save from Brad at the end, surprised I did not see it mentioned here yet.

Bit more on Clattenburg, commentators kept going on about what a great game he was having. I begged to differ it seemed to me he was giving every infraction to Brum and ignoring a lot of their fouls. We simply could not win a free kick in a dangerous postion, If Warnocks was a booking then there were several Brum should have had. Don't remember who but we were about to break and the Brum player simply nailed our fella out on the right as he was going past him.

Good penalty shout, on second watching may have been some very good embellishment by Cruz.

This Cruz lad, the more I watch him the more I like him, he is terrific IMHO. He is a grafter and has excellent silky skills too. Sav did what Sav does. Ooyah simply scares the dickens out of me you just never know if he's going to screw up or not.

Entertaining game made less so by too much interference from Clatters. MGP needs a long sit down. We were sloppy, gave the ball away too easily, Brum still seem caught in the fizzy pop league with their OTT tactics, punt and run but it did rattle us on a few occasions. We should have won handsomely in the end with the number of line clearances and missed opportunities.

Did not like the first half, we simply did not look dangerous, second half I thought we played some lovely stuff going forwards. We need, I think a middle of the park player who can put his foot on the ball and create. A 10 year younger toogs would be ideal. Good three points and nice to look at the league table, jeez if only we'd beat Pompey.

Came away from the game yesterday feeling pleased and relieved with the three points. First half with 4-5-1 I felt we offered very little and if it wasn't for Bentley we would have created nothing...it was a smart bit of play by Bents for the goal with a great turn and finish on his left foot.

Second half we threw a vastly improved Benni on with 4-4-2 and it had an immediate impact with us looking a lot more threatening and creating a few chances in the first 10-15 minutes. About 5 minutes after the second rather than pummel Brum into the ground we sat back, took our foot back off the gas and allowed them back into the game. In saying that it was a tidy finish from Jerome for the goal and it was a nerveracking final ten minutes but thankfully we held on.

Three other talking points for me:

Bentleys booking-What planet was the referee on when he dished that out?

Brum offside goal-Lee Dixon summed it up perfectly on MOTD...Oojier was at the edge of the 6 yard box and McSheffrey was inside it therefore Offside.

MGP-Has someone told him that he is not allowed to run into space? On a number of occasions I lost my temper with him and his lack of ability in turning towards goal and running towards it! Perhaps Reido could give him a few pointers.

As for Sambas wonder run what a shame he didn't lash it into the top corner, it would have been goal of the season without doubt.

Can somebody tell Adam Hosker that he isn't too clear when speaking at half time

Given up trying to listen to him ..and stopped buying the halftime draw tickets too!

exactly bblue....

every manager HAS to lobby in the press for 'help' from the refs. Its now part of the competition in the prem.

If you cry loud enough, maybe they give you the benefit of the doubt next time. Other managers do it, you almost have to do it or you lose a key call, its that little edge all teams work to get, be it in trainng or in the press. Some managers can be more subtle about it, but its all there to see.

If the refs give you a call, you have praise the ref. I mean if a ref makes an error in your favor and you respond with, "he messed up, but we'll take it." the ref might think twice about giving a hair decision your way. He might also feel slighted and

Again, these are all 'might's, ideally a ref on teh field doesn't care or think about whats gone before, and sees everything only in the context of that match, but given the "prima-donna" attitudes that some refs display, that's unlikely.

Sorry folks but I can still not see the logic of the formation of only x1 up front at home.

Couldn't agree more Capt, after Thursday night's debacle I simply couldn't believe that we started with one up front again, and accordingly the first half was toe curlingly tedious and painful to watch. Bentley just happened to take a sharp chance and everyone was reasonably happy at half time otherwise everyone would I suspect have been most unhappy.

In the second half we looked a different proposition entirely with two up front, we should have scored right from kick off following a wonderful move, and passed up at least three more sitters before they pulled their goal back. Should have been four or five one and..................

RIP 4-5-1 !!

In defence of Tugay, I don't necessarily think he's finished, he's just playing in the wrong position. Taking the ball off the centre halves' toes he's having to try and ping impossible 40 or 50 yard balls all the time. When he advances 30 yards up the pitch (as he did against Brum in the Cup) he still looks a decent player.

1. Derbyshire is nowhere displacing Santa Cruz and McCarthy. He is developing but imo will only ever be a poacher rather than a leader of the line. Also since his wonder strike at Boro he has developed an annoying habit of shooting from daft distance / angle when teamates are much better placed. No doubt they will knock that out of him at Brockhall.

2. Most of the top teams play a flexible 4-5-1. Chelsea, Arsenal, MU, City and Pompey all play that way, Lpool I'm not sure about cos of their Tinkerman. The key is in switching so that we are 4-5-1 when the opponents are in posession but 4-4-2 or even 3-5-2 when we are attacking. Formations do make difference but ultimately there are still 11 players running around on the same sized pitch.

3. You seem bothered about Derbyshires mental state but not Pedersons! :wacko: Why are you making meat of one and fish of another? Pederson is obviously struggling with his form and imo his confidence is low. He's not good but he's still worth his place imo. At a big club there would be a top replacement sitting on the bench but with Peter injured he is our best option. (btw I noticed yesterday that Bentley was taking corners from both sides.) One thing I do know is that booing from the stands will not help! The stupidity of the boo boys is unbelievable just as with Benni Mac we know they both have lots of ability.... we've seen what both are capable of so surely the way forward is patience and encouragement and not the total destruction of very valuable assets. We are often labelled a 'family club' so lets act like a family!

1. Agree with the synopsis for Derbyshire TND but the annoying habit you describe re the shooting is IMO his frustration at being out wide instead of up front - where he should be. Why the hell should they knock it out of him when he is as you say a poacher?

2.Chelski/Arse are different propositions and are set up as such - Citeh and Portsmouth have the structure right and not the fire power that we possess - SC to me is being wasted in the 451.

3. I am bothered about Pedersen as I actually do like him as a player - however the difference is Derbyshire is being played out of position, Pedersen is not - replacement or not Pedersens contribution is minimal if that at the moment ( similar to Derbyshire on the right) however he just doesn't look A1 to me and seems to be slouching in his manner - how many of his crosses/ corners have actually passed the first man?

Boo boys - totally agree it achieves absolutely bugger all

At the end of the day Hughes knows best but I still cannot understand the formation when we where doing ok anyway and as we have seen play much better once we adopt the 442 formation back ( If rumopurs are to be believed -although strong - it is because of the McCarthy situation)

I've always thought that Pedro Mendes would be a perfect replacement for Tugay. Although this article makes it clear that Portsmouth won't sell.

Like Brum wouldn't sell Sav and Dunny to us? I can't see it happening but if Mendes wants to leave then Mendes will leave.

Archived