• Savage
    • Dunn
    • Pedersen
    • Bentley
    • Sant Cruz
    • Mokoena
    • McCarthy
    • Derbyshire

BEst thing about today to me was benni looking lively again. Did not like Clattenburg much. I thought the goal was offside each and every time I saw it. How did they only get away with one yellow?

Anyway 3 more in the bag.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Benni looked on form today, which seems to be a nice change. Just watched the game on tape delay here in the USA. We looked great in the first half, but second half let them back into it a bit. Pederson seems a bit lost though lately. That header in extra time that Friedel knocked over the net had me thinking their had equalized for a second. So close to giving up 2 points there.

B)-->

QUOTE(Ste B @ Oct 7 2007, 20:53 ) 552270[/snapback]
Sent off ????????? I thought it was a yellow, for not taking a free kick quickly enough.. Which would have been fine had he actually had the ball within 10 yards of him

OOOPS, edited......thought I was writing for the southern press for a minute :blink:

Thought we were sloppy yesterday and haven't fired on all cyclinders this season bar The City game. 4 straight wins though and this time last season it was all pear shaped so a lot to be pleased about. Brum were poor.

The big plus was McCarthey who showed enthusiasm and skill and hopefully he can combine with Rocky as the season goes on. Bentley had some better final ball and Samba is just consistantly great. Emerton, Samba and Warnock do need the organisation of Nelsen, Ooijar leaves us prone to errors at the back.

Tugay just seems finished as a Prem player. His positional play is so far deep he is picking 5 yard balls of the centre halfs and trying to thread the eye of a needle with a 40 yard pass and he's giving a lot of possession away doing it. When was the last time he had a shot on goal? Mokeoena, Savage too seem unable to contribute effectively, especially in the final third and the question is, is time up for all three come season end?

Hughes seems to have tried everything, even in pre-season he was tinkering with the MF. Two holding MF players with full backs bombing on. Two holding players with two attacking midfielders, no wingers. He's also tried Bentley in the hole, Bentley as 2nd striker. It's clearly a problem within the team. Our sloppy midfield yesterday, including Pederson, made it feel like Brum actually had a chance in the game in which they should have had none.

All I can say is thank goodness Brum are a poor side - yet we contrived our best to let them back in the game (albeit we where playing with only x9 men in the 2nd half)

Sorry folks but I can still not see the logic of the formation of only x1 up front at home.

As has been mentioned - what the hell has Derbyshire done wrong - if Hughes is not careful he is going to ###### the lad off big style.

Pedersen is nothing short of abysmal at the moment.

A wins' a win but we need to improve big style IMO if we want to remain challenging for top 6.

McCarthy - thought he was excellent when he came on and that's from one of his biggest critics - its amazing what a bit of home truth does. Just shows that many of us where justified in our early opinions and not blinded by the the goals ie he does not have to run around like a madman.

I didn't enjoy the game yesterday despite the win and as for Battenburg - yet another clown - how can somebody be booked when he falls over and yet when a deliberate foul is committed nothing is given. And people say we don't get treated unfairly :angry:

Tugay just seems finished as a Prem player. His positional play is so far deep he is picking 5 yard balls of the centre halfs and trying to thread the eye of a needle with a 40 yard pass and he's giving a lot of possession away doing it. When was the last time he had a shot on goal?

Not a bad ball to Santa Cruz for the penalty though was it?

Sorry folks but I can still not see the logic of the formation of only x1 up front at home.

As has been mentioned - what the hell has Derbyshire done wrong - if Hughes is not careful he is going to ###### the lad off big style.

Pedersen is nothing short of abysmal at the moment.

A wins' a win but we need to improve big style IMO if we want to remain challenging for top 6.

1. Derbyshire is nowhere displacing Santa Cruz and McCarthy. He is developing but imo will only ever be a poacher rather than a leader of the line. Also since his wonder strike at Boro he has developed an annoying habit of shooting from daft distance / angle when teamates are much better placed. No doubt they will knock that out of him at Brockhall.

2. Most of the top teams play a flexible 4-5-1. Chelsea, Arsenal, MU, City and Pompey all play that way, Lpool I'm not sure about cos of their Tinkerman. The key is in switching so that we are 4-5-1 when the opponents are in posession but 4-4-2 or even 3-5-2 when we are attacking. Formations do make difference but ultimately there are still 11 players running around on the same sized pitch.

3. You seem bothered about Derbyshires mental state but not Pedersons! :wacko: Why are you making meat of one and fish of another? Pederson is obviously struggling with his form and imo his confidence is low. He's not good but he's still worth his place imo. At a big club there would be a top replacement sitting on the bench but with Peter injured he is our best option. (btw I noticed yesterday that Bentley was taking corners from both sides.) One thing I do know is that booing from the stands will not help! The stupidity of the boo boys is unbelievable just as with Benni Mac we know they both have lots of ability.... we've seen what both are capable of so surely the way forward is patience and encouragement and not the total destruction of very valuable assets. We are often labelled a 'family club' so lets act like a family!

Steve Bruce on the Ewood crowd:" They put the officials under enormous pressure here. Thats's all they do - shout, bawl, scream and swear at them and all the rest of it."

ITV text page 406.

He really doesn't like us does he. :lol:

I thought he was referring to the players, not the crowd. Still a pitiful reaction from him though. I wonder if he has any more teams we can beat?

Seems to me, that if Bentley plays well, rovers play well.

Steve Bruce on the Ewood crowd:" They put the officials under enormous pressure here. Thats's all they do - shout, bawl, scream and swear at them and all the rest of it."

ITV text page 406.

He really doesn't like us does he. :lol:

And just who was it the ref told to "shut up"? :D

I would so love to have really trounced them.........

Heigh ho, can't complain, three points on the board.

Nice to see Stevie Reid with the boys on the bench, looking very fit and smart.

Pedro Mendes can't get into the Pompey team right now..... would be a good punt in January. Our central midfielders are not in the form of their lives.

Good win for us after the Larissa disappointment. Obviously, if want any hope of getting into the UEFA cup, we have to match teams like Pompey, Man City, Villa, Everton and Newcastle - who, whilst not being terribly consistent, are scoring freely and all looking capable of going on a long winning run.

BTW: What a find Samba is - as if you didn't know. A star every game, it seems.

yeah, from the replays hes between the defender and the goal, by how much I cant tell, but I'd bet a large amount that the linesman got it right this time.

Isnt it worrying that Bruce (and a number of managers) dont know the offside rules, the daylight thingy hasnt been used for a couple of seasons now

Well I've seen the disallowed goal several times now. To me - he's clearly offside. He's not level, he's in front of the last defender.

No-one else see that?

Yes Den, I agree. It is clear on the Footy First, and I have watched it a number of times on my DVD recording to try and determine where Bruce is coming from. For me he has no case at all. It isn't even close to being onside.

yeah, from the replays hes between the defender and the goal, by how much I cant tell, but I'd bet a large amount that the linesman got it right this time.

Isnt it worrying that Bruce (and a number of managers) dont know the offside rules, the daylight thingy hasnt been used for a couple of seasons now

....(and a number of managers)... embarrasingly Hughes at Chelsea??

Steve Bruse spouts about Sav and Hughes Dunny has had his say as well- posted in the Dunn thread.

Nice to see Big Club are still sore.

I am just going back to when all the Savage saga kicked off. I thought Hughesy handled the whole press thing brilliantly and just shows Bruce still keeps making himself look like a mug by banging on about it over and over again.

I think it was very big of Savage to apologise as maybe he didn't go about leaving the right way but after the things that were said about him when he left I personally wouldn't have bothered.

Anyway...

Slightly off the subject but.. It's a huge shame but I heard a rumour recently that poor old Ipswich might shortly have a new investor in David Gold.

Gqni-XpHI1nEPRYJf4rn5L7cXQOjJSq00A0.jpg

That was because he was clean through and the defender was the last man. Just like when Bentley got booked for letting the ball roll past him, even though he wasnt taking the free-kick! Unfair ref yesterday again, how they got 1 yellow to our 3 is pathetic.

how was that not a booking for the pen?

Well I've seen the disallowed goal several times now. To me - he's clearly offside. He's not level, he's in front of the last defender.

No-one else see that?

I was under the impression the daylight thing that Bruce refers to is no longer the case and it is now any part of the player being in front so technically the linesman is right and Bruce is a potato headed numpty.

Does anyone know the offside rule? I don't. I used to know it years ago when it was simple.

I do agree that a player who genuinely isn't interfering with play should not be penalised for being in an offside position, but this doesn't happen often.

The rule (law?) should be kept simple.

The only problem then would be the age-old one of how can the linesman see across his line of sight and watch the person who plays the ball forward at the same time.

The daylight thing isn't in the laws of the game at all, they even confirmed it on MOTD and they have a natural tendency to slot it to us if they can, so Mr Potato Head has just confirmed he is a numpty who should read up on his rules (Whilst getting his P45 from his new owners)

One thing I did note from the officials yesterday though, the old, if you play in Blue & White @ Ewood any challenge is a yellow card, and if your the way team/play in red or both then a challenge (Even when using a blunt implement) irrespective of the ball being involved is a stern telling off !

WTF was all that about?????!!!!

p.s. Did anyone know why Bentley got booked?

He let the ball roll 2 yds past him. The ref thought it was time wasting. It was, around two seconds of time wasting. Pathetic referreeing - something he would never have done to any Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool or Arsenal player.

One thing I did note from the officials yesterday though, the old, if you play in Blue & White @ Ewood any challenge is a yellow card, and if your the way team/play in red or both then a challenge (Even when using a blunt implement) irrespective of the ball being involved is a stern telling off !

WTF was all that about?????!!!!

cos he's a Blackburn Rovers player

Archived