BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sky Tv Dates

New TV dates

This means that the home match with Sunderland has now been moved from New years day to 8pm January 2nd.

I have just agreed to work over Christmas so I can have new year off to go to this match, now I cant and I am really peed off as I expect are a lot of Sunderland fans.

Sunderland date change

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really, really angry about this.

I organised a swap with a colleague for the West Ham game so I could go as I was supposed to be working. I doubt I will be able to change it to the Sunday now. This is not the first time - I missed the games against Birmingham and Portsmouth, and I am sure there were games changed from a Saturday before that also.

The fact the games are on TV are of no interest to me as even if I could watch the game at work, my start and finish times make it nigh on impossible.

Screw you TV you are killing football.

Alan - I actually disagree with you that Sky/TV are helping the game.

Without the money that Sky bring in, there would still be a quality sport that would be fascinating to watch - I guarantee it. There are over 4000 professional footballers in England alone so are they all going to bugger off to Italy, Spain, France etc? No they aren't!

Football in my opinion will not be quite what it should be until we make the earnings of a footballer more 'realistic'. I'd say £100k a year for a professional footballer in the top flight is plenty - why don't we scrap the tv money at the end of the current Sky/Setanta deals?

By the end of the deal we would have players earning only what their clubs could afford. There would be no TV football so fans would have to go to the games LIVE to watch it, and since the clubs wouldn't have massive wages to pay and could rely on huge attendances, they could charge £10 for everyone to get in (for example).

In my opinion the game would be better off with only national games being televised. Anyone else?

I organised a swap with a colleague for the West Ham game so I could go as I was supposed to be working. I doubt I will be able to change it to the Sunday now. This is not the first time - I missed the games against Birmingham and Portsmouth, and I am sure there were games changed from a Saturday before that also.

tbf, those two games you mentioned weren't moved because of tv, but because of the uefa cup.

Really, really angry about this.

The fact the games are on TV are of no interest to me as even if I could watch the game at work, my start and finish times make it nigh on impossible.

Screw you TV you are killing football.

I recall criticising the club for playing a home UEFA cup match at 6pm on a thursday night but that seemed to be OK

What makes anyone think that the Club and TV care about whether fans turn up at matches?

WE BELIEVE FOOTBALL IS FOR FANS

tbf, those two games you mentioned weren't moved because of tv, but because of the uefa cup.

That is a fair comment, but it still leaves a bitter taste in the mouth now the West Ham game has been moved. I could have chosen the Liverpool or Newcastle games but chose this one in particular, what a waste of time. Fixtures get mucked about too much.

I recall criticising the club for playing a home UEFA cup match at 6pm on a thursday night but that seemed to be OK

Once in a while I can let it go, but this is a regular occurance now, and so far I have only been to a handful of home games through no fault of my own.

:angry:

Without the money that Sky bring in, there would still be a quality sport that would be fascinating to watch - I guarantee it. There are over 4000 professional footballers in England alone so are they all going to bugger off to Italy, Spain, France etc? No they aren't!

Football in my opinion will not be quite what it should be until we make the earnings of a footballer more 'realistic'. I'd say £100k a year for a professional footballer in the top flight is plenty - why don't we scrap the tv money at the end of the current Sky/Setanta deals?

By the end of the deal we would have players earning only what their clubs could afford. There would be no TV football so fans would have to go to the games LIVE to watch it, and since the clubs wouldn't have massive wages to pay and could rely on huge attendances, they could charge £10 for everyone to get in (for example).

In my opinion the game would be better off with only national games being televised. Anyone else?

I agree with you on most of your post, even on your disagreement to my post.

TV has boosted the finances of the clubs allowing the lesser clubs to attract a better quality player, the wages have now however got obscene.

The fact that one channel doesnt have the monopoly will now severely affect the gates as fans have to subscribe to 2 broadcasters, ie SKY and Setanta.

The fact that Rovers have the cheapest season tickets, will wear thin as more and more of the fixtures are rescheduled, especially in the knowledge that the games are freely available in pubs and live streams on the pc.

&$^&@#$^&@#.

The Mrs and I are moving to Lux in a month or so, so expect to be staying in Europe for the holidays. Was really looking forward to popping over to England for the Boxing Day match.

&$^&@#$^&@#.

The Mrs and I are moving to Lux in a month or so, so expect to be staying in Europe for the holidays. Was really looking forward to popping over to England for the Boxing Day match.

What's wrong with Rovers playing Derby on the 30th and then Sunderland on the 1st Jan?

One days rest should be enough.

Bank Holiday matches are a tradition which is quickly being forgotten because of TV money

I agree absolutely IHB. In fact what you are proposing would get the game back to where it used to be in the very early 60's but with the players being comfortably better off in real terms than they were then, due to the higher wage ceiling you are proposing and allowing for the difference in money values and costs. So with sensible costs for all, including the clubs and for the fans, and with a cap on earnings, this would mean that all clubs would have an equal opportunity when it comes to signing players, and we should once again have a level playing field and a fair and open competition.

Which is exactly what I have been saying and campaigning for on here for yonks. Without much support it must be said.

This is a purely selfish one but I'm glad we're not at home on New Years Day. I was torn between forgetting the NYD game altogether (lending my season ticket to my dad), NYE in Blackburn or behaving myself down here. The M6 after my traditional NYE was never an option, now it's no problem at all!

I've never liked NYD games!

Well Scotty, Jordan, Percy, Vicki, Rach, and all the others who had decided to desert our families and spend a day with our adopted family..... what do we do now!!!! I'd got a Boxing Day pass all sorted and now it looks like I have to spend it with my bloody family!!!!!!!!!!!1

I must say the moving of the Sunderland game, is not exactly perfect preparation for an FA Cup run, bearing in mind that the 3rd round proper is due to be played 3 days later on the 5th January, or is this another game that will be moved to accommodate TV coverage.

By the way Bob, they've p'd on our chips again, now theres only two 3pm Saturday home fixtures left until mid January. :angry:

Astonishing, totally astonished. Been looking forward to the City game on Boxing Day for months, same with Sunderland. It's a part of the holiday season, part of what we do on those days. No real point in complaining, it won't make one jot of difference and I suppose City tickets could be easier to come by if it's on the box.

Astonishing, totally astonished. Been looking forward to the City game on Boxing Day for months, same with Sunderland. It's a part of the holiday season, part of what we do on those days. No real point in complaining, it won't make one jot of difference and I suppose City tickets could be easier to come by if it's on the box.

Agreed Paul, there is no point in complaining, however actions speak louder than words.

Despite the reduced cost of season tickets this may be the last I buy, before I become a walk on supporter.

It's the one time of the year that the family as a whole get together and it's been a tradition to attend a game on Boxing Day before everyone goes off their separate ways. It now looks as if it's Morecambe v Chester on Boxing Day.

The Premiership have sold their soul and kicked the paying public in the teeth.

Maybe this is worth a poll.

Sadly Alan if you chose not to buy an ST and vote with your feet it will not make any difference either. It will though have an impact on the club you support and perhaps yourself. For the past 2-3 years I have felt very unhappy with PL football, Sky, the FA etc. Eventually I reached the conclusion this was only influencing one person, me! I believe the only thing which would have a real impact on the football authorities would be if no one, I mean a literally deserted ground, turned up. Other than this the powers that be will always find an excuse or a mealy mouthed justification. The game we know died a long time back, all that's left is to support Rovers.

Rovers care, it isn't the club's fault and the club are powerless to change it. All we can do is support the club. I feel the "We Believe" campaign has some real truth behind it or at least i need to believe it does.

Sadly Alan if you chose not to buy an ST and vote with your feet it will not make any difference either. It will though have an impact on the club you support and perhaps yourself. For the past 2-3 years I have felt very unhappy with PL football, Sky, the FA etc. Eventually I reached the conclusion this was only influencing one person, me! I believe the only thing which would have a real impact on the football authorities would be if no one, I mean a literally deserted ground, turned up. Other than this the powers that be will always find an excuse or a mealy mouthed justification. The game we know died a long time back, all that's left is to support Rovers.

Rovers care, it isn't the club's fault and the club are powerless to change it. All we can do is support the club. I feel the "We Believe" campaign has some real truth behind it or at least i need to believe it does.

Yes and no Paul - sadly what Alan has said I fell will run true with so many fans.

It can't just be Rovers affected by this and I'm sure Sunderland and Citeh Fans will not be best pleased, yet Rovers subscribe to this entity and have representation for this sort of thing. I know Rovers are doing their best but , unfortunately it's to a limited audience and issues such as this especially for these fixtures will have a big impact.

For some it will be better they have changed, but for the majority it won't and these are normally two of the fixtures people look most forward to attending..

The no show at Citeh is an idea ( remember they had their own campaign last year on ticket pricing) and it could also be a case of a 'non attendance ' against Sunderland to have the impact that is required to highlight the fact - truth hurts but must be aired sometimes.

I won't be at either as I'm going away for the New Year so doesn't affect me but I feel sorry for those that it does.

Ironically - remember last time we where supposed to play Sunderland over the Festive period?

This christmas could be the straw that broke the camels back. Is it now time to say that all the old football traditions have gone and succumb to the devil that is Sky etc. Maybe that is putting it a bit strong but I have never felt as embittered about the lack of thought for the genuine fans as I feel now. If season tickets were on sale now I definitely would not buy one. How many will go to the Sunderland match at 8pm on Wednesday night as opposed to 3pm on new years day. I know it is not on TV but it has been moved to accomodate TV. How many Sunderland fans will be left dissapointed now that their traditional new years day football match has been ruined. How many will travel on a Wednesday night. This is repeated for the other matches over the christmas break making the festive period a non event as far as football is concerned. The days when football matches were arranged so that the maximum number of fans could attend are long gone and if this continues I will be long gone.

I fully understand the frustration especially for fans who have to travel a distance,the Sunderland game for instance would have been expected to sell out but now not a chance.

The grumbles though are countered by the argument that we're more than happy to recieve the 30+ million that allows us to compete in this league....no easy solution.

if you buy a season ticket, you are accepting whatever dates are put in front of you. thats a fact.

thats why i am so amazed that as many people have season tickets, especially at a club like rovers where you can buy a day ticket at any game at all. different if you are a fan of liverpool, or manU or arsenal where the stadium is always full.

sadly, the fans of these clubs are to blame for meekly accepting all the b*llocks given to them and handing over BIG money for their season tickets. while the fans are buying, the clubs will carry on. they will only respond to the sight of mpty seats. this is what has happened at rovers, but sadly it hasn't happened at those other clubs. Worse is that it hasn't happened at the likes of newcastle or tottenham, who don't even have good teams. until there is a nationwide reponse by fans, we are stuck with this situation.

whenever you hear a fan of another club (liverpool, spurs, villa etc) whinge about prices, tell them to do what rovers fans have done and stay away. Then and only then will prices come back in line.

and don't think big TV money helps the clubs, all it does is enrich the players. even a modest squad player in the prem is now out of sight of the earnings of an "average" fan, whatever that might be

:ph34r:

My brother was going to bring my nephew for the Chelsea match, not any more. I was intending to go to City away and was going to get one as a present for my father, not any more. I was going to Derby away, not any more. Five less tickets sold from my family alone.

However, Huddersfield Town will have an extra sale for the home match against Northampton on Saturday 29th as it's the only live match I can realistically do over the festive period!

Archived